Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD SP AF

APS Equivalent: 1.5x: 105 - 450mm; 1.6x: 112 - 480mm
Max Aperture: /4 - 5.6
Min Aperture: /32 - 45
Diaphragm Blades: 9
Lens Construction: 17 elements in 12 groups, including an LD and an XLD (Extra Low Dispersion) element
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 34.4 to 8.3 degrees
Focus Details: USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) with full-time manual override
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 1.5m / 59.1 in.
Magnification Ratio: 0.25x / 1:4 (f=300mm)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 142.2mm x 81.3mm / 5.6 in. x 3.2 in.
Weight: 765g / 27 oz
Notes: Image Stabilized. Available AF Mounts: Canon, Nikon, Sony; Included Accessories: Lens Hood

Ralph Conway

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: May 7, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: My copy seems to be sharp over the whole range, VC works excellent, AF hits well. 5 year warranty! Build quality feels excellent to me. The price is a joke. The lens is pure pleasure.
Cons:
AF could be faster. But I guess it could always be faster. Zoom and focus rings exchanged. I prefere the focus ring at the lenses front end.

I needed a long zoom lense for a business shooting. I was thinking about Canons 70-300 again, but it still felt to bulky, to heavy and way to expensive (and white) to me. So I went to a german technics discounter and asked for the Tamron. They had two and after 3 dozend testshots with the first copy I purchased it. They all looked very sharp.

After earlier bad experiences with multiple 3rd party lenses including Tamron I never again wanted to get one. But this lens was already working good with my 5D II and in combination with 6D it convinced me immediately (I have to say that all my lenses work faster and more reliable then before with this body).

The build quality rating of "8" was given by me because a sealed lens "feels" better to me. Not that the missing one caused any problems the last 4 month.

May 7, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ralph Conway to your Buddy List
dsr1

Registered: May 9, 2008
Review Date: Jan 4, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $299.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp VC locks on quickly and holds steady Seems faster than #'s indicate

Sharp enough to crop to match 100-400mm @ 400mm using 7D with no loss of IQ

Jan 4, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dsr1 to your Buddy List
GOVA

Registered: Nov 23, 2002
Review Date: Dec 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredible VC especially at 300mm. Sharp, light, great price
Cons:
Meh for the price NONE

I did use this lens with my D7000.

I was able to get great results on that body. I even tried 1.4x TC and it provided very fine results but the focus did not always work properly.

For the price, this is an extraordinary lens and its VC works miracles. The picture just freezes which is very well appreciated at 300 (450) mm.

I am thinking of purchasing it again...

Dec 14, 2013