Tamron 150-600MM F/5-6.3 DI VC USD

6.4
884479

Focal Length: 150-600mm
Maximum Aperture: F/5-6.3
Angle of view (diagonal): 1625 - 48 (for full frame format): 1038 - 240 (for APS-C format)
Minimum Focus Distance: 106.3 in (2.7m)
Maximum Magnification Ratio: 1:5
Maximum Diameter: 105.6mm
Length (5): 10.1 in (257.8mm)
Weight: 68.8 oz (1,951 g)
No. of Diaphragm Blades: 9 (circular diaphragm) (6)
Minimum Aperture: F/32-40
Standard Accessories: Lens hood, detachable tripod mount
Compatible Mounts: Canon, Nikon, Sony(7)

ebiggs

Registered: Mar 16, 2013
Review Date: Jul 6, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Of course price. It is light and has 600mm.
Cons:
It is not an "L" lens. It is not even in consumer Canon quality level.

Of course you buy this lens because of price and want 600mm. And for that reason, it is a buy. But if you are expecting Canon quality, you are going to be disappointed. This lens is never going to take the abuse that a Canon L lens will. But it doesn't cost what an "L" does.

I want to live will it for a while but right out of the box, my copy is working well.

It's focus is fast and silent on my 1D Mk IV. It is spot on, too.

Just the few shots I have taken from my deck, show is is reasonably sharp but starts to show difficulties at 100%.

Who buys a 100mm f5? So I don't know how much benefit that is going to be as most people will use this lens on the long end. But I guess it's nice to be able to frame shots and this zoom range is huge.

An update review after I use it for some time

Update from today. 07/06/2014
I spent all day today with the 150-600mm on my 1D MkIV.
The lens worked without a hitch all day. It was 91 degrees and 90% humidity. The results were very good but you must remember to use 400-800 ISO because the lens is so slow.
This lens is going to take more careful handling as compared to my "L" series. i am more pleased than at first. More later.

Jul 6, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ebiggs to your Buddy List
LizWangPhotog

Registered: May 23, 2011
Review Date: Jun 13, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The range, colors, tonal quality, bokeh, relatively very lightweight (the weight of a 70-200), sharp
Cons:

Ok, let's be serious here- a $1000 lens that has a 600mm range, keeps F5 for a good portion of the range, is only several pounds, focuses quietly and accurately, with sharpness of your subject and out of focus elements fading out nicely. What is there not to like? Some of these reviews are trying to go in with expectations that are unreal. I would be more critical if I was paying $3000-4000 like the competition costs. The Sigma 150-500 and the previous 200-500 are a different league, not worthy of comparison, and you lose a lot of light because the variable aperture increases so fast on those lenses. This lens should be nicknamed the little-ma for it's relative size (don't expect prime, but maybe the smallest lens over 300mm I've ever seen). Sounds like some copy variance, but I got one that is spot on, I mean an amazing keep rate and I'm seriously in love with the colors and rendering. And, I have an extra $2000-3000 in my pocket.

Jun 13, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LizWangPhotog to your Buddy List
Kris Reiswig

Registered: Jan 13, 2007
Review Date: Jun 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing range, super sharp, very nice colors
Cons:
Takes a lot of practice, especially over 500mm, fairly long mfd.

I've had this lens since release day. I have taken several thousand photos with it and it has been a winner with me. I have a 70D and a 6D and I gravitate towards using it with the 6D. There is just something about how the files look.

I did not buy this lens for birding, so I totally understand the comments and issues that it has with tracking. For me, it has opened up a new world, taking photos between 450-600mm. It is a great way to see the world.

I have owned the 400mm 5.6, 100-400mm and now the Tamron.

Jun 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kris Reiswig to your Buddy List
denisg

Registered: Feb 7, 2014
Review Date: May 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, build quality, sharpness, weight (for the range), performance
Cons:
After 4 months of usage on my 1D3 and recently 7D, None.

I have used this lens for 4 months now, first one in the UK according to Park Cameras. I had a 1D3 when I bought this lens and have recently added a 7D for that extra bit of reach. Initially I had some issues with the 1D3 in Ai-servo mode but I saved my settings as a file on my memory card then reset the camera to Canon defaults and worked from there. Currently I have no issues with this lens on that camera at all. It works fine in Ai-servo mode now although I personally find it better in Lo mode at 5 fps rather than Hi at 10 fps.

As the 7D is new so was at default anyway I used as near the 1D3 settings as I could and again it is not giving me any issues on moving targets. I have not tried it as yet with BIF's but although most of my photography is wildlife, BIF's are certainly not.

It took a while for me to learn this lens and I concede that there may be some compromise in camera/lens settings but when you find its optimum performance it is worth every penny imho.

May 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add denisg to your Buddy List
MDelinquento

Registered: Jul 27, 2010
Review Date: Apr 10, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Build quality Ergonomics Convenience Price Image stabilization Relative weight
Cons:
Poor performance with action/BIFs on both 7D & 5DMK3 Tamron's non-acknowledgement of consistent issues noted in Canon forum

I owned this lens for about two weeks in March. During this time I tested it for both static subjects and moving subjects in excellent light with my 7D and 5DMK3 bodies. I have several years experience shooting sports and birds with the Canon 100-400mm L and the Sigma Bigma (50-500mm) lenses.

The Tamron was a very mixed bag. I enjoyed the feel-in-hand, the weight was reasonable considering the focal range, the quality of materials was very good, and the price was a bargain--if--you are OK with it not functioning very well on BIFs. After at least 1000 shots I found that it would not lock on a moving bird in the 400-600mm range with either camera. Whereas a few minutes prior it would provide very acceptable results on an easy-to-focus static Great Blue Heron or a sparrow. I grew too frustrated and returned the lens during the allowable window.

That I have seen some great BIF results from others, makes me wonder if the quality variation is vast among copies. I've also considered purchasing another copy, because this lens' focal range at this price point is valuable.

M

Apr 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MDelinquento to your Buddy List
RonR2

Registered: Oct 28, 2003
Review Date: Mar 24, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Size, weight.
Cons:
Would not focus properly with my 7D

Retuned lens because it would not focus properly on my Canon 7D. required constant pressing of the shutter button to keep focus on moving target.
Worked well on static targets and was quite good when on a tripod on static objects.

Mar 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RonR2 to your Buddy List
brimull

Registered: Jan 2, 2013
Review Date: Mar 23, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Price!! Size and weight is amazing for this zoom range. Build quality good. Overall image quality is good, even at 600mm. Image stabilization seems adequate. Did I mention price?? Yes, but I'll state it again.
Cons:
Autofocus servo does not function properly with two of my Canon camera bodies, the 7D and the MkIV. A relatively slow lens at f/6.3, but for the money, not so bad!

At this price I did not expect perfection, but I did expect it to function as advertised. It does not. The autofocus servo function did not work properly on my 7D and 1D Mark IV. From what I've read, I'm not alone in having this experience. In my brief time with this lens, the autofocus servo did appear to function properly on the 5D Mark III, but it was a bit sluggish--as one would expect for a lens that is f/6.3.

These are serious, unacceptable flaws in my judgment. Therefore, I can't recommend this lens at the present time. However, if Tamron corrects these flaws, this lens would represent surprisingly high quality at an excellent price and be stiff competition for other telephoto zooms. The lens already represents a breakthrough for a zoom lens reaching 600mm because of its size, weight, and price!

Mar 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add brimull to your Buddy List
Kathy White

Registered: Apr 30, 2010
Review Date: Mar 23, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Loved the size, weight, and build.
Cons:
Doesn't work properly with 1DIV or 7D in Al Servo.

I wanted to love this lens. I was disappointed with the tracking when using my 1DIV or 7D with Al Servo. I was also disappointed with the AF abilities of the copy I had even on static objects from 400 to 600mm. Most of the images I took with it were soft, even when stopped down and in good light. Images taken at less than 400mm in good light were sharp.

If there had been just the issue of AF on static objects with mine, I would have just kept it and sent it in to Tamron for the AF to be adjusted. The Al Servo issue on 2 out of 3 of my bodies, and those being my primary bodies for wildlife were a deal breaker for me so it was returned.

If Tamron fixes the issues so that it'll work properly on all my bodies, I may rebuy.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kathy White to your Buddy List
john paskey

Registered: Jun 23, 2007
Review Date: Mar 23, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: 600 mm in a compact body
Cons:
Tried it out in 20 degree weather, it stopped focusing in about an hour as the grease or lube inside froze - as I planned to use it in 0 degree weather for eagle pics it is not worth any money to me

Tried to love this as a replacement for sigma 150 to 500 but it stopped working in cold weather. YMMV

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add john paskey to your Buddy List
Imagemaster

Registered: Feb 23, 2004
Review Date: Mar 22, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Presently best bang for your buck for a zoom lens in this focal range. Weight and size make it easy to handhold. Gives sharp images.
Cons:
Will not AF properly in AI Servo mode on many Canon bodies.

I was at first impressed with this lens until I tried it in the 500-600mm range in AI Servo mode on both my 7D and 1D4. It simply would not change focus when aimed at a distant subject then aimed at a nearer subject.

This problem occurred with "focus search" turned on, focus-limiter in either position, and in bright light with contrasty subjects.

As of March 22, I have not heard of this problem being either acknowledged or fixed by Tamron, despite a number of similar complaints on the Canon Forum.

Returned my copy for a refund.

May try the lens again if this problem is fixed or if it will work properly on a 70D.

Mar 22, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Imagemaster to your Buddy List
shutterbug guy

Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Review Date: Mar 20, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, good VC, somewhat compact, price. Works beautifully with the Canon 5DIII, focus is dead on, even in AI Servo.
Cons:
The zoom ring turns like a Nikon lens (backwards), takes a little getting used to.

This is a definitely a great bang for the buck lens. Where else can you get to 600mm with VC for just over a $1000? It focuses beautifully with my 5DIII camera, both single and AI Servo focus. Ymmv with the 7D and 1Dmk4 according to some forum reports. I haven't experienced any focusing problems what so ever. It works like a champ tracking jet ski's with AI Servo in high speed burst mode.

At 600mm it is very sharp, sharper than my 100-400L with a 1.4 mkIII T/C at 560mm. It won't compete with my big white 500mm f4 mk1 though, even with a T/C on it. For the money and with the image quality it was a no brainer to buy this lens.

My only problem now is what to do with my 100-400L, keep it since it's a little more compact and lighter? Or get rid of it since I haven't touched it since getting the "Tamzooka".

Mar 20, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shutterbug guy to your Buddy List
Chris B.

Registered: Oct 7, 2004
Review Date: Feb 12, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Build quality, weight
Cons:
AF tracking problematic with 1D Mark IV bodies

I am fortunate enough to own the wonderful Canon 400/4 DO and a 500/4L, both of which are used a lot of the time with a 1.4x and yet I just bought the Tamron primarily for one reason: a single lens solution when traveling to places where taking a lot of gear would be difficult. My current bodies are both 1D Mark IVs.

I tested the Tamron for several days on a variety of subjects and then sent it back. For stationary birds, and objects, it performed admirably with really excellent sharpness,and contrast. Wide open @ f6.3, it was okay but not great. Images greatly improved when stopped down to f8. It does need a LOT of LIGHT to perform well.When I (tried to)use it for BIF though, it failed miserably... regardless of the focal length, it would not track properly, and the AF continuously hunted for focus. I could never get it to lock focus despite using a variety of focusing techniques.

Frankly, it's a very nice lens with an excellent build quality and superb price point but unfortunately, it didn't work with my camera bodies. If Tamron fixed the tracking issues to enable it to work on a 1D4, I'd reconsider purchasing it.

Feb 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris B. to your Buddy List

Tamron 150-600MM F/5-6.3 DI VC USD