Tamron 150-600MM F/5-6.3 DI VC USD

7.2
884479

Focal Length: 150-600mm
Maximum Aperture: F/5-6.3
Angle of view (diagonal): 1625 - 48 (for full frame format): 1038 - 240 (for APS-C format)
Minimum Focus Distance: 106.3 in (2.7m)
Maximum Magnification Ratio: 1:5
Maximum Diameter: 105.6mm
Length (5): 10.1 in (257.8mm)
Weight: 68.8 oz (1,951 g)
No. of Diaphragm Blades: 9 (circular diaphragm) (6)
Minimum Aperture: F/32-40
Standard Accessories: Lens hood, detachable tripod mount
Compatible Mounts: Canon, Nikon, Sony(7)

Page:  1 · 2  next

AvianScott

Registered: Mar 4, 2011
Review Date: Oct 20, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good build quality, VR performs well, sharp, good BIF tracking after firmware update, great value for price.
Cons:
Zoom locks only at 150mm or 400mm

I purchased the Tamron 150-600 from a local dealer the day it was released. The lens performs extremely admirably for the price, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable birding or wildlife lens. On my 6D it is very sharp wide open until about 450mm or so, very sharp at f/7.1 up to about 500-550mm, and at f/8 at 600mm. Sure, the aperture isn't the fastest, but with the 6D, I can boost the ISO to make up for it. Highly recommended.

Oct 20, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AvianScott to your Buddy List
covigner

Registered: Aug 13, 2008
Review Date: Oct 8, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality, fast autofocus, sharp, effective image stabilization.
Cons:
Focus limiter range should be around 8 meters to infinity instead of 15 meters. Hood could be a little more robust.

I bought this lens out of curiosity, fully expecting that I might have to return it. I ended up being blown away by it's performance when coupled with my Nikon D7100. In my opinion it's very sharp wide open up to 450mm, then stopped down to f7.1 up to about 550mm, then after that, it's quite sharp stopped down just to f8. If it had cost around $1500, I would have rated it a nine, but I think this level of performance at $1069 deserves a 10.

Oct 8, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add covigner to your Buddy List
fouroaks

Registered: Sep 8, 2014
Review Date: Sep 8, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: price, 600mm reach, build quality
Cons:
filter size, heavy, no carry case supplied
Sep 8, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fouroaks to your Buddy List
wvfoto

Registered: Sep 8, 2002
Review Date: Sep 1, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, well built, VR works great, auto focus works great.
Cons:
Heavy, not really a hand hold use lens

I have had this lens since June 2014 and each day I use it I'm more impressed. It has taken a while to get use to shooting at 600mm, but now that I have I'm in love. It focuses very fast for a zoom lens, (much faster than my Nikon 80-400), I've also noticed it focuses on small critical areas more accuratly than my Nikon, (IE: small birds buried in tree branches etc.) Yes it is F-6.3, but with the new low noise digital cameras, I don't see this as a problem. I use it at ISO 400-1000 on my Nikon D7000 and D7100 and the result are fantastic. Of course if I have good light I can reduce the ISO for even better noise results. It also focuses very quite, does not hunt as much as my Nikon and the VR works very well. I must use it with a monopod to get consistent excellent results, although I have occassionally had good results handheld. Good long lens technique is a must and until that is learned you will be disappointed in this lens...but that will be the photographers fault not the lens. My conclusion...great lens at a great price.

Sep 1, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wvfoto to your Buddy List
J-man

Registered: Dec 20, 2004
Review Date: Aug 28, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Low CA, Silent/reliable/relatively fast AF, Very sharp at 150-500mm (similar to the Canon 100-400 at overlapping ranges), Decent at 600mm f/6.3 (much better than other 500mm zooms full out), Good sharpness at 600mm f7.1, Great resolution at 600mm f/8-9. Very effective (3 stops) VC/IS.
Cons:
a little soft wide open at 600mm, focuses slower than prime lenses, VC/IS needs to be off for moving subjects, large and heavy (but it is a 600mm lens).

Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

I wrote a fairly lengthy review over at my site for the new(ish) Tamron 150-600mm lens. I am really enjoying the lens but it does need some careful use and time to get used to it. Having a 600mm lens is opening up new opportunities for my photography.

Here is the conclusion from the review:

This lens is not a 600mm f4 replacement. This lens is not going to work well handheld and in poor light. This lens is not small or light. This lens is well constructed and good performing glass that has a few limitations. Optically it works best ether at 500mm and below or stopped down at 600mm. The VC works well (3 stops) but it is no replacement for a tripod/monopod and it needs to be turned off for panning. The focus mechanism operates fast and reliably compared to similar zoom lenses, but not as well as high priced, faster primes. There are no other lenses like it available today (mid 2014), so if you want the best performing super telephoto zoom available this is the ticket (as long as you can deal with the size and weight). While not perfect the Tamron 150-600mm does offer a lot of bang for your buck. As long as you keep your expectations in check and purchase with the knowledge that there will be a learning curve you will not be disappointed.

Jay

Aug 28, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add J-man to your Buddy List
chantzeleong

Registered: Jul 30, 2014
Review Date: Jul 30, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: It is light and has extra reach at 600mm.
Cons:
Not every store has a 95mm filter.

I just bought this lens for Canon mount last week and went to the zoo to take some pictures of animals. Pictures of animals that do not move that much, were sharp even at 600mm when it is taken with a tripod and cable release. Bear in mind, that I shoot only at ISO 100mm.

Without sufficient light to achieve 1/range mm speed, objects particularly those that move frequently will be blurred. The lock release was good. Once it is locked, the lens does not extend when you are carrying it on the shoulder. Since this does not overdo the pull and push of the lens, it does not makes the lens too "loose".

Surprisingly, the USD drive was fast, smooth and quiet. It was much more quiet than Sigma 170-500mm that I used to own 8 year ago. Also, I did not experience the lack of focussing as mentioned by the other reviewers when using this lens even at 600mm. It appears that the lack of focussing has been resolved.

Taking pictures using long range lens is far more complicated that the short range lens. Any slight movement by the object will render the pictures blurred. You will need to adjust the way you take pictures and have a stable tripod and release cable.

If you need to take fast objects, this is not the lens for you. You will need a prime lens with at least F4.

Jul 30, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chantzeleong to your Buddy List
ebiggs

Registered: Mar 16, 2013
Review Date: Jul 6, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Of course price. It is light and has 600mm.
Cons:
It is not an "L" lens. It is not even in consumer Canon quality level.

Of course you buy this lens because of price and want 600mm. And for that reason, it is a buy. But if you are expecting Canon quality, you are going to be disappointed. This lens is never going to take the abuse that a Canon L lens will. But it doesn't cost what an "L" does.

I want to live will it for a while but right out of the box, my copy is working well.

It's focus is fast and silent on my 1D Mk IV. It is spot on, too.

Just the few shots I have taken from my deck, show is is reasonably sharp but starts to show difficulties at 100%.

Who buys a 100mm f5? So I don't know how much benefit that is going to be as most people will use this lens on the long end. But I guess it's nice to be able to frame shots and this zoom range is huge.

An update review after I use it for some time

Update from today. 07/06/2014
I spent all day today with the 150-600mm on my 1D MkIV.
The lens worked without a hitch all day. It was 91 degrees and 90% humidity. The results were very good but you must remember to use 400-800 ISO because the lens is so slow.
This lens is going to take more careful handling as compared to my "L" series. i am more pleased than at first. More later.

Jul 6, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ebiggs to your Buddy List
LizWangPhotog

Registered: May 23, 2011
Review Date: Jun 13, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The range, colors, tonal quality, bokeh, relatively very lightweight (the weight of a 70-200), sharp
Cons:

Ok, let's be serious here- a $1000 lens that has a 600mm range, keeps F5 for a good portion of the range, is only several pounds, focuses quietly and accurately, with sharpness of your subject and out of focus elements fading out nicely. What is there not to like? Some of these reviews are trying to go in with expectations that are unreal. I would be more critical if I was paying $3000-4000 like the competition costs. The Sigma 150-500 and the previous 200-500 are a different league, not worthy of comparison, and you lose a lot of light because the variable aperture increases so fast on those lenses. This lens should be nicknamed the little-ma for it's relative size (don't expect prime, but maybe the smallest lens over 300mm I've ever seen). Sounds like some copy variance, but I got one that is spot on, I mean an amazing keep rate and I'm seriously in love with the colors and rendering. And, I have an extra $2000-3000 in my pocket.

Jun 13, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LizWangPhotog to your Buddy List
Kris Reiswig

Registered: Jan 13, 2007
Review Date: Jun 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing range, super sharp, very nice colors
Cons:
Takes a lot of practice, especially over 500mm, fairly long mfd.

I've had this lens since release day. I have taken several thousand photos with it and it has been a winner with me. I have a 70D and a 6D and I gravitate towards using it with the 6D. There is just something about how the files look.

I did not buy this lens for birding, so I totally understand the comments and issues that it has with tracking. For me, it has opened up a new world, taking photos between 450-600mm. It is a great way to see the world.

I have owned the 400mm 5.6, 100-400mm and now the Tamron.

Jun 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kris Reiswig to your Buddy List
denisg

Registered: Feb 7, 2014
Review Date: May 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, build quality, sharpness, weight (for the range), performance
Cons:
After 4 months of usage on my 1D3 and recently 7D, None.

I have used this lens for 4 months now, first one in the UK according to Park Cameras. I had a 1D3 when I bought this lens and have recently added a 7D for that extra bit of reach. Initially I had some issues with the 1D3 in Ai-servo mode but I saved my settings as a file on my memory card then reset the camera to Canon defaults and worked from there. Currently I have no issues with this lens on that camera at all. It works fine in Ai-servo mode now although I personally find it better in Lo mode at 5 fps rather than Hi at 10 fps.

As the 7D is new so was at default anyway I used as near the 1D3 settings as I could and again it is not giving me any issues on moving targets. I have not tried it as yet with BIF's but although most of my photography is wildlife, BIF's are certainly not.

It took a while for me to learn this lens and I concede that there may be some compromise in camera/lens settings but when you find its optimum performance it is worth every penny imho.

May 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add denisg to your Buddy List
MDelinquento

Registered: Jul 27, 2010
Review Date: Apr 10, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Build quality Ergonomics Convenience Price Image stabilization Relative weight
Cons:
Poor performance with action/BIFs on both 7D & 5DMK3 Tamron's non-acknowledgement of consistent issues noted in Canon forum

I owned this lens for about two weeks in March. During this time I tested it for both static subjects and moving subjects in excellent light with my 7D and 5DMK3 bodies. I have several years experience shooting sports and birds with the Canon 100-400mm L and the Sigma Bigma (50-500mm) lenses.

The Tamron was a very mixed bag. I enjoyed the feel-in-hand, the weight was reasonable considering the focal range, the quality of materials was very good, and the price was a bargain--if--you are OK with it not functioning very well on BIFs. After at least 1000 shots I found that it would not lock on a moving bird in the 400-600mm range with either camera. Whereas a few minutes prior it would provide very acceptable results on an easy-to-focus static Great Blue Heron or a sparrow. I grew too frustrated and returned the lens during the allowable window.

That I have seen some great BIF results from others, makes me wonder if the quality variation is vast among copies. I've also considered purchasing another copy, because this lens' focal range at this price point is valuable.

M

Apr 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MDelinquento to your Buddy List
RonR2

Registered: Oct 28, 2003
Review Date: Mar 24, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Size, weight.
Cons:
Would not focus properly with my 7D

Retuned lens because it would not focus properly on my Canon 7D. required constant pressing of the shutter button to keep focus on moving target.
Worked well on static targets and was quite good when on a tripod on static objects.

Mar 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RonR2 to your Buddy List
brimull

Registered: Jan 2, 2013
Review Date: Mar 23, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Price!! Size and weight is amazing for this zoom range. Build quality good. Overall image quality is good, even at 600mm. Image stabilization seems adequate. Did I mention price?? Yes, but I'll state it again.
Cons:
Autofocus servo does not function properly with two of my Canon camera bodies, the 7D and the MkIV. A relatively slow lens at f/6.3, but for the money, not so bad!

At this price I did not expect perfection, but I did expect it to function as advertised. It does not. The autofocus servo function did not work properly on my 7D and 1D Mark IV. From what I've read, I'm not alone in having this experience. In my brief time with this lens, the autofocus servo did appear to function properly on the 5D Mark III, but it was a bit sluggish--as one would expect for a lens that is f/6.3.

These are serious, unacceptable flaws in my judgment. Therefore, I can't recommend this lens at the present time. However, if Tamron corrects these flaws, this lens would represent surprisingly high quality at an excellent price and be stiff competition for other telephoto zooms. The lens already represents a breakthrough for a zoom lens reaching 600mm because of its size, weight, and price!

Mar 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add brimull to your Buddy List
Kathy White

Registered: Apr 30, 2010
Review Date: Mar 23, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Loved the size, weight, and build.
Cons:
Doesn't work properly with 1DIV or 7D in Al Servo.

I wanted to love this lens. I was disappointed with the tracking when using my 1DIV or 7D with Al Servo. I was also disappointed with the AF abilities of the copy I had even on static objects from 400 to 600mm. Most of the images I took with it were soft, even when stopped down and in good light. Images taken at less than 400mm in good light were sharp.

If there had been just the issue of AF on static objects with mine, I would have just kept it and sent it in to Tamron for the AF to be adjusted. The Al Servo issue on 2 out of 3 of my bodies, and those being my primary bodies for wildlife were a deal breaker for me so it was returned.

If Tamron fixes the issues so that it'll work properly on all my bodies, I may rebuy.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kathy White to your Buddy List
john paskey

Registered: Jun 23, 2007
Review Date: Mar 23, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,069.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: 600 mm in a compact body
Cons:
Tried it out in 20 degree weather, it stopped focusing in about an hour as the grease or lube inside froze - as I planned to use it in 0 degree weather for eagle pics it is not worth any money to me

Tried to love this as a replacement for sigma 150 to 500 but it stopped working in cold weather. YMMV

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add john paskey to your Buddy List
Imagemaster

Registered: Feb 23, 2004
Review Date: Mar 22, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Presently best bang for your buck for a zoom lens in this focal range. Weight and size make it easy to handhold. Gives sharp images.
Cons:
Will not AF properly in AI Servo mode on many Canon bodies.

I was at first impressed with this lens until I tried it in the 500-600mm range in AI Servo mode on both my 7D and 1D4. It simply would not change focus when aimed at a distant subject then aimed at a nearer subject.

This problem occurred with "focus search" turned on, focus-limiter in either position, and in bright light with contrasty subjects.

As of March 22, I have not heard of this problem being either acknowledged or fixed by Tamron, despite a number of similar complaints on the Canon Forum.

Returned my copy for a refund.

May try the lens again if this problem is fixed or if it will work properly on a 70D.

Mar 22, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Imagemaster to your Buddy List

Tamron 150-600MM F/5-6.3 DI VC USD