Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC

APS Equivalent: 1.5x: 21mm; 1.6x: 22.4mm
Max Aperture: /2.8
Min Aperture: /22
Diaphragm Blades: 6
Lens Construction: 14 elements in 12 groups, including 1 glass aspherical, 1 hybrid aspherical, and 2 ED elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 115.7 degrees
Focus Details: Manual focus only; Internal
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: n/a
Closest Focus: 0.28m / 0.9 ft.
Magnification Ratio:
Filter Size: n/a
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 96.1mm x 87mm / 3.78 in. x 3.43 in. (Canon version)
Weight: 555g / 19.6 oz (Canon version)
Notes: Available Lens Mounts: Canon EF, Nikon F, Pentax K, Samsung NX, Sony A, Olympus Four Thirds; Included Accessories: lens cap, lens pouch.

Fred Meebley

Registered: Dec 26, 2006
Review Date: Jan 1, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice sharp optics if you get a properly centered lens. For the price, its a beautiful piece of glass.
Cons:
The distance scale on the lens isn't even close. Why bother even putting one in the design, if you aren't going to calibrate it at the factory? Because this is a manual focus lens, having an inaccurate distance scale can make focusing difficult. Even with live view zoomed in 10x on a tripod it can be difficult. I got some great landscape shots with it but I'm still not sure if they could have been a little better if the focus was more accurate.

Jan 1, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Meebley to your Buddy List
CarteB

Registered: Dec 24, 2014
Review Date: Dec 27, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, very well built
Cons:
If I have to nominate, probably the distortion of long horizontals, but no deal breaker, and the fact that the distances on the focus ring are inaccurate. I'll explain this later.

I shoot with a 6D, have several top "L" lenses and have used this lens quite a bit: overseas, around the dinner table and in the street. Top IQ. I use it mainly at f5.6, with or without flash, but it handles f2.8 quite well. However, being manual focus, I spent quite a while working out how to use the distance scale on the focus ring because I can't visually discern focus through the viewfinder with such a wide angle of view. The issue there was that the distance scale is inaccurate; in other words, 3feet on the barrel doesn't focus on objects 3 feet away. But it's all right now, in fact ... well, I love this lens. I have worked it out, know where to set the focus ring for my particular subject, and get 100% keeper rate regarding accurate focus. I know it's lovely to just whack the lens on and start shooting, but this lens needs some time, which, if you are like me, is a great excuse to take and test lots of pictures and play with your gear. It may not suit a happy snapper or the more impatient.

As for that moustache distortion, yeah, I occasionally see it, but not often. For example, I got the edge of a long roof horizontally into most of the frame first time I noticed the distortion, but then, I can shoot ocean scenes where you'd think the horizon would warp, but unless the horizon takes up most of the frame, distortion isnt an issue. I mean if, say, you have beach or headland in 1/3 of the frame, distortion of the horizon isn't noticeable. For all other shots where straight lines don't dominate, like interiors or around the streets, no problems. If I made money out of ultra wide photography, I'd probably test it first, but for a hobbyist like me, that distortion is a minor trade off for, otherwise, excellent optics. Really, so many pix from this lens are so satisfying that the occasional wonky horizon doesn't worry me.

So it's a really good lens that benefits from some trial and error to refine the focusing.

Dec 27, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CarteB to your Buddy List
mmajsw

Registered: Aug 9, 2009
Review Date: Jul 13, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: I got this lens on an impulse buy from a friend who bought it but was not sure if he liked it - he does buy a lot of gear. I must say that considering the price, it is an amazing lens. You have to live with manual focus but at this focal length, it is hard not to have things in focus. The focus ring is smooth and well damped. The long focus throw makes it easy to fine tune your focal point. As long as you are aware of it's shortcomings, I find it to be very useable for me. I have seen nothing else at this price point.
Cons:
Strong vignetting at 2.8 - 4 and the difficulty of using ND/Polarizing filters. the filter issue is a bog one for landscapes.

Jul 13, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmajsw to your Buddy List
Dpedraza

Registered: Jan 8, 2013
Review Date: Nov 25, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, price, MF, light weight
Cons:
distortion

I had my Samyang 14mm for a short while couple months at best. I used it the canon 6d I had. I must say the lens def shocked me. for the price point there isn't an ultrawide that can touch this lens. It's very sharp and light weight. I bought into this following the hype over here on the forums about how well it performs. I must say I was shocked at how well the lens did for how cheap it is. The only real downside is the distortion.

Nov 25, 2013