Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC

APS Equivalent: 1.5x: 21mm; 1.6x: 22.4mm
Max Aperture: /2.8
Min Aperture: /22
Diaphragm Blades: 6
Lens Construction: 14 elements in 12 groups, including 1 glass aspherical, 1 hybrid aspherical, and 2 ED elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 115.7 degrees
Focus Details: Manual focus only; Internal
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: n/a
Closest Focus: 0.28m / 0.9 ft.
Magnification Ratio:
Filter Size: n/a
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 96.1mm x 87mm / 3.78 in. x 3.43 in. (Canon version)
Weight: 555g / 19.6 oz (Canon version)
Notes: Available Lens Mounts: Canon EF, Nikon F, Pentax K, Samsung NX, Sony A, Olympus Four Thirds; Included Accessories: lens cap, lens pouch.

mmajsw

Registered: Aug 9, 2009
Review Date: Jul 13, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: I got this lens on an impulse buy from a friend who bought it but was not sure if he liked it - he does buy a lot of gear. I must say that considering the price, it is an amazing lens. You have to live with manual focus but at this focal length, it is hard not to have things in focus. The focus ring is smooth and well damped. The long focus throw makes it easy to fine tune your focal point. As long as you are aware of it's shortcomings, I find it to be very useable for me. I have seen nothing else at this price point.
Cons:
Strong vignetting at 2.8 - 4 and the difficulty of using ND/Polarizing filters. the filter issue is a bog one for landscapes.

Jul 13, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmajsw to your Buddy List
Dpedraza

Registered: Jan 8, 2013
Review Date: Nov 25, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, price, MF, light weight
Cons:
distortion

I had my Samyang 14mm for a short while couple months at best. I used it the canon 6d I had. I must say the lens def shocked me. for the price point there isn't an ultrawide that can touch this lens. It's very sharp and light weight. I bought into this following the hype over here on the forums about how well it performs. I must say I was shocked at how well the lens did for how cheap it is. The only real downside is the distortion.

Nov 25, 2013