530 938820 Nov 2, 2017
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

avuroski

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Nov 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $840.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unrivaled sharpness, color and contrast, and speed for a zoom. This is why you buy a Canon FF.
Cons:
some people find it weighty. I find it wonderfully solid ;)

People asking for a redesign of this lens are missing something about the fundamental nature of optics. There are trade-offs involved. This lens is INCREDIBLE. I wish I hadn't screwed around trying every other regular zoom lens canon makes and just gone straightaway to this. Well, actually, no I don't, because now I'll never be tempted by a lesser lens. The 17-55 2.8 IS on the 40D was good. But I liked the 24-105 4 IS on the 40D better for some reason - for a crop body, it was nice to be able to get all the way into the portait lengths. Color was better on the 24-105. Yes the 17-55 was very sharp, but sharpness is only one of many attributes to a good lens. When I moved up from the 40D to the 5D, I liked the 24-105 at first, but longed for a take-everywhere low-light lens. This is it. I'm so happy. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to shoot in low light at 2.8 anyway, and so would do better to just go with primes. No. I can even get shots at 1600, but the 5D does so well at 3200, it's fine. And being able to move fast from 24mm to 70mm is gold. I'm not knocking a 35 1.4 for low light - with enough money, I'd love both. But if the sharpness and contrast and color are this amazing with a zoom, I'll just stay here and leave carrying a bag of primes (and switching out lenses constantly) to other people.

The 2.8 makes the camera find focus so much faster, even in low light. The already bright viewfinder is that much brighter. It's a revelation. I was worried with all these horror stories of how heavy it is and how it's never sharp. Well, my new copy was razor sharp, and I don't find it heavy at all. And I LOVE the backwards zoom - the action is super smooth and quick, and the lens hood is the accurate coverage for all focal lengths, rather than most which are only giving you 1/2 the coverage on the long in order to keep from vingnetting on the wide end.

I would give this lens an 11 if I could. Colors, sharpness, build quality, lens hood, everything. If you're serious about your images, get this and stop whining about the weight. It's balanced and fine on a real camera. (though on an XSi, it would probably be ridiculous.)

Nov 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add avuroski to your Buddy List
knodl

Registered: Mar 21, 2006
Review Date: Oct 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality. Lens speed. Versatility. Ergonomics.
Cons:
Price! Fragile plastic lens hood!

My copy of the 24-70mm 2.8 L turned out to be everything it has been praised for. This lens used on a 1Ds MK II at full 2.8 aperture is sharp and sharp at all focal lengths and at 70mm my copy is crazy sharp. I love this lens! If this lens had IS it would be damn near the ultimate lens. Interestingly it's size and weight makes it great for steady hand holding at low shutter speeds. I have had no problem getting sharp images with this lens using f/2.8 at 1/15 sec. The only negative is the lens hood is fragile rinky-dink plastic but this is a drawback on all Canon L lenses.

Oct 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add knodl to your Buddy List
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Oct 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Usefull range, F2.8, weathersealed. Great L colors and contrast.
Cons:
Extrimely heavy and large, moving front element. Need Canon calibration to become sharp.

I got this lens almost new on FM traded on another one. Sent it same day to Canon for calibrations since some out of focus tests. After calibration it comeback better. Extremely bulky with no reason!!! This lens need re-design, Canon please make it as light and sharp as new 70-200mm F4 IS.
In general OK all purpose zoom lens, but I will sell it anyway for something better ... Smile)

Oct 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
Shane F

Registered: Oct 8, 2007
Review Date: Oct 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,240.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, hood, color, contrast.
Cons:
No IS.

I recently changed from a XTi / 40D combo using the 17-55 f/2.8 IS to a Mark IIN. Sold the 17-55 and picked up a new 24-70 f/2.8. I can say that my the 24-70 has slightly better colors and contrast compared to my 17-55. It is sharp as tack in all focal lengths and produced some of my favorite f/2.8 pics within a few days of owning it.

The only downfall is that it does not have IS. I miss the IS and being able to hand hold at 1/6th of second, now I usually will not go below 1/60th. So, bump up the ISO and away you go.

Sure its heavy, but when I mount it on the Mark IIN, it balances out the camera. I can honestly say that I would not have a problem carring this around for hours on end - just make sure you have a comfortable neck strap.

Oct 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Shane F to your Buddy List
TechnoPhil

Registered: Jan 3, 2006
Location: San Marino
Review Date: Sep 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build quality, zoom range on Full Frame camera
Cons:
weight, price

Very useful on my EOS 5D you can try it everywere with otpimum results!
Very recommended as walk-around/all-purpose lens

Sep 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TechnoPhil to your Buddy List
albertino

Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Review Date: Sep 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrasto-nitidezza-luminosità-escursione focale
Cons:
un p̣ pesante, ma interessa poco

Senza dubbio un obiettivo da consigliare. Non mi ha mai deluso

Sep 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertino to your Buddy List
stevesanacore

Registered: Apr 28, 2006
Review Date: Sep 7, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: Great focal length range.
Cons:
Poor performance. To soft on edges compared with prime lenses to be useful for landscape work.

I have too many ruined shots to recommend this lens. Typical Canon mediocre quality of their wide angle lenses. I only shoot full frame 5D and 1Ds Mk3, so for APS sized users it may be a better performer.

Sep 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stevesanacore to your Buddy List
youcai

Registered: Jul 17, 2008
Review Date: Sep 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, nice boken, fast focus, good build
Cons:
a little bit heavy, not performing as well from 24mm-28mm

I've had 3 copies of 24-70L, 2 copies of 24-105L and 1 copy of 17-55 IS. I've done some comparison. 24-70L won easily over 24-105L on both 40D and 5D. 24-70L/5D is also better than 17-55 IS/40D. This is a nice zoom lens, sharp at 2.8, nice color and contrast. I definitely recommend it.

The downside is that it's not a good landscape lens, and it's a little heavy.

Sep 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add youcai to your Buddy List
rhorta

Registered: Dec 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 5, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Performance to rival prime lenses
Cons:
not really, but large hood and size and weight must be mentioned

It surprised me to read Torque22's damning review, without any comments about calibration nor taking it back for another copy.

Any lens can suffer from manufacturing defects or the need to be calibrated, the 24-70 is no different.

To simply state that the 24-70/2.8 "suffers from back-focusing issues" is misleading and not a sound basis for a review.

I'd like to repeat my earlier view, reinforced by the experiences I've had with this lens over the last months: the 24-70/2.8 is almost as good as a prime, and much more versatile.

I still think that the 24-105/4 IS is the superior travel lens - based on size, reach, IS and hood - and this is the reason it will stay in my kit, but apart from that the 24-70 suits most of my needs perfectly and has quickly become my favorite zoom and natural first choice.

Paired with the 70-200/2.8IS the 24-70/2.8 is a perfect set, at least on full frame.

This lens will probably be one of the last to go if I had to make that kind of choice.

Ruy

Sep 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rhorta to your Buddy List
DiMora

Registered: Aug 29, 2008
Review Date: Aug 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: My favorite lens. If I could only have one lens, this would be it. L Glass optical quality. Very Sharp! FAST!
Cons:
Heavy...but it is worth it. Quality is A+.

My favorite lens.

FAST, Sharp, perfect in every way.

I could go on and on, but Canon nailed it on this one. If I had to choose only one lens to live with forever, this would be it.

Aug 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DiMora to your Buddy List
OCphotography

Registered: Aug 23, 2008
Review Date: Aug 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, focal-length area, f/2.8, sharpness, colors.
Cons:

Best lens I have ever owned. I have used it on both crop 1.3x and Full-frame sensors, without doubt best on FF, though works like a charm on cropped sensor too.

Use in fashion, portraits, on location, studio work, weddings and press. It never fail you, it is fast in AF, nice zoom though it does not zoom inside the lens. Lens hood is great, its big and you have a firm grip when working.

Weather sealed, heavy (you will get used to that), I recommend using either pro bodies with built in grip or attach vertical grip, which makes it easier when doing fashion, portraits and weddings.

*Highly recommended*

Now I am just waiting for the Nikon version, then I'll have my most favorite lens again. Smile

Aug 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add OCphotography to your Buddy List
Steven Park

Registered: May 29, 2007
Review Date: Aug 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $975.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Everything exceept IS and weight.
Cons:
Variations on quality control of different copies

Solid performer. Only issue with this lens is its variations of performance on different copies. I went through 3 different copies and all three performed differently. My last one was the best out of three.

Its strength shows at 35-50mm range where it is better than any other lenses at f 2.8. at 70mm it is disappointing somewhat but still good enough.

Since this lens is quite old in design, I am waiting for IS version to see if Canon will ever come out with IS version.

24-105L is sharper in corner but with f 4.0, images doesn't stand out like 24-70L.

Aug 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steven Park to your Buddy List
kbouber

Registered: Aug 19, 2008
Review Date: Aug 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: amazing lens, very sharp indoor and outdoor, easy picture when the subject is mooving 2.8l , i recommanded to all ,
Cons:
little bit haevy

Aug 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kbouber to your Buddy List
4allens

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Aug 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from 24 to 70
Cons:

I purchased this lens to compliment a 16-35 and a 70-200. I must admit, I use far more than I expected. Lanscape, portraits, travel, oh my. I strongly recommend. It is a real keeper.

Aug 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 4allens to your Buddy List
Fagr68

Registered: Jul 7, 2008

Pros: Very sharp! Great colors & contrast, Weather sealing and all the other L qualities you expect from it.
Cons:
Price could be a little less, reverse zooming (although, its ok when you just get used to it)

I really like this lens. I bought one few days ago and i love it so much. First i scared a little to buy it because i had heard so much about some focusing problems. Atleast my copy focuses properly and is damn SHARP, ok ok... Little softness @2.8 but not a big deal. Get's superb @5.6.

Aug 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fagr68 to your Buddy List
norrislw

Registered: Aug 5, 2008
Review Date: Aug 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $985.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, top build quality
Cons:

Bought it from BH under $1k, performs as expected on my 5D. Good IQ and sharp. Just a little heavy, but F2.8, what do you expect!

Aug 6, 2008