535 904956 Sep 3, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Chimp

Registered: Feb 17, 2010
Review Date: Feb 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality
Cons:

After two weeks of regular use, I can say that I'm very happy with it. It's good. I haven't strapped anything on since receiving it (yet) - it has a very useful range.

I was a bit apprehensive prior to buying the lens - and that is only because I read up on the lens. I even rented and borrowed prior to buying and can't fault any of them. I should have started with this lens instead of going the circuitous route of 28-75, Sigma 24-70 and finally the Canon 24-70 - and saved myself the time and tears.

Weight? I ain't complaining - image quality is everything. You don't buy a Ferarri for the comfortable seats...

Feb 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chimp to your Buddy List
erikburd

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: Feb 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,275.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank. Very sharp pictures. Excellent and very quiet auto-focus, even in low light. The color is simply incredible.
Cons:
Price could be a bit lower, but you're paying for that f2.8 aperture. The lens is heavy, but not *that* bad.

This is my first L lens. I've been very happy with it. The zoom range is very versatile for my needs, and pretty much covers about 90% of the shots that I take.

I take a lot of low light and indoor pictures, so that f2.8 makes all the difference.

The pictures are simply incredible - I'm seeing details that really come out. They're all tack sharp with vivid color. It's easy to see why so many professionals use this lens. This is definitely a "must have" lens, even though it's a little expensive.

Get a neoprene camera strap, as this will take some of the weight off and make it feel considerably lighter. Your neck will thank you.

Feb 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add erikburd to your Buddy List
Jay Adeff

Registered: Feb 27, 2004
Review Date: Feb 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build quality. Sharp.
Cons:
Big, heavy, & expensive.

I bought this lens to replace my broken Tamron 28-75. This lens has had a reputation for spotty quality control so I was a bit hesitant. I bought a new copy and found it to be very sharp, even at f/2.8. The AF is fast and accurate on my 1D-MkII. If price, weight, and size are an issue, go for the Tamron. If you want the best lens overall, get the Canon.

Feb 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jay Adeff to your Buddy List
mmari

Registered: Mar 20, 2008
Review Date: Jan 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,087.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: built quality, AF speed
Cons:
AF inaccuracy (+5 backwards on microadjust of 5D Mark II), not sharp wide open

read above...

Jan 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmari to your Buddy List
danob

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Jan 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is one of the best lens I own razor sharp and compares well in it's zoom range with a few primes I have
Cons:
Tad on the heavy side and the reverse zoom takes a little time to get used to

Jan 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add danob to your Buddy List
badmongo

Registered: Jan 27, 2006
Review Date: Jan 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Love the quality of the photos
Cons:
None negative.

Bought this lens when i was on vacation in US spring 2008. I am very happy about it. On my 350D I change about this lens and the 10-22.
It's very sharp. Just want to get a newer/better camera now, so i can see the real potential of this lens.

Jan 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add badmongo to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Jan 8, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: $899.00

Pros: Very sharp, great contrast, f/2.8, excellent AF
Cons:
A bit heavy but not *that* heavy

I sold my last copy a year ago and missed it so have recently got a new one. I have to say that it's a wonderful lens, it's AF is fast and spot on, it's sharp and produces almost prime like quality images.

I reckon it's one of Canon's best value lenses.

Jan 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
pho7ographer

Registered: Sep 17, 2009
Review Date: Jan 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Great Bokeh, Quick & Quiet Focus
Cons:
Heavy, Mis-Calibrated Autofocus (Battery Test/Back Focus Test), Low Light performance not as good as prime lens, UV Filter overpriced

This was my first Canon L Lens purchase and had very high expectations for its performance.

Current inventory: Canon 50 1.8 & Canon 18-200EFS 3.5-5.6

The 18-200 is half the price of the 24-70L and at similar focal lengths the 18-200 came out on top on what I thought was a 'sharpness' factor (details of back focusing below). As for depth the 24-70L and wide aperture was very noticeable. Also nice bokeh.

Shooting within the 1m range of the subject, the 24-70mm was solid, but realistically I am not going to be that close to my subjects for all my shots especially at 70mm.

Results of my battery test:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/philiphoang/4257634136/sizes/o/">Battery Test</a>

Shooting 1m+ of the subject and at 70mm. The batteries are stacked at roughly 2 inches and 45 degrees to the next. This shot was taken roughly 1.5m away from the center subject (#4). The focus is subtle, but you can read the fine print on #5 as compared to the center. In fact, #6 (though not shown in 100% zoom) is slightly sharper than #4 as well.

For $1250, I was hoping for quality performance and quality control. Take my review with a grain of salt, I've talked to much more experienced photographers who have all told me their 24-70mm is a gift from heaven. I hope my next copy will yield better results.

Jan 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pho7ographer to your Buddy List
Olivier6

Registered: Jan 1, 2010
Review Date: Jan 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, light sensitivity, build quality
Cons:
weight, size, price

It lives on my 5D MK2. It is heavy, and big, and pricey... But it is also stunningly sharp and versatile. What can I say: it it the choice of many, many professionals all over the world. And the results speak for themselves.

If you want to use a state-of-the-art, best-in-class lens. This is your choice. If you are looking for a light, less pricey option, search further. This will definitely not be your choice.

Jan 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Olivier6 to your Buddy List
victris

Registered: Dec 9, 2009
Review Date: Dec 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,384.00

Pros: It feels well and solidly built. Not sure about the IQ yet - see my comments.
Cons:
So far, perhaps only the price and the bulk.

I just got the lens and so far so good, I think. I say I am not sure yet because I have read alot of reviews where people say that some copies are good and some are not. I have a question for whomever can answer it. How do I know if I got a good copy? What should I be looking for in the lens? what test should I do? Please help, before my 30-day refund or exchange period expires. Thanks

Dec 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add victris to your Buddy List
aw-photo

Registered: Oct 12, 2008
Review Date: Dec 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp throughout the focal range. Colors and contrast is amazing! Built like a tank, very solid.
Cons:
Not tack sharp wide open.

My most used lens, no question. This lens has impressed myself and many of my customers on a regular basis. Sharp, colorful and constrasty, the 24-70 2.8L is almost anyone's must have L lens.

Dec 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aw-photo to your Buddy List
ar15

Registered: Dec 7, 2009
Review Date: Dec 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,298.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Great Build Quality (except zoom ring)
Cons:
Poor Quality Control, Blurry images

First let me say that this review is written for my copy of the 24-70 f/2.8 - not my opinion of the lens in general. I have seen what a good copy of this lens can do, and it is amazing! A good copy of this lens is a solid "10"! Unfortunately, I fell victim to Canon's poor quality control that this lens is known for, and received a VERY POOR copy.

The first problem I noticed was with the zoom ring. It was very tight between 24-50mm with a grinding sound as it turned. Between 50-70mm there was almost no tension at all. The grinding eventually disappeared after working the zoom in and out a bunch of times, but the tension issue never improved. I wish I could say this was the only problem... but the real problem was image quality.

The images my 24-70 produced were just awful! My first thought was, "how did this lens leave the factory?”. I know things happen and no manufacturer is perfect, but there seems to be a "soft copy" theme for this lens... which is a real shame since this lens has so much potential. It is very disappointing to pay $1300 for an "L" lens only to have it blown away by my $150 plastic EF-S 18-55.
My second copy is on the way and I hope it is a good one… Am I buying a lens or playing the lottery??? Good luck to anyone trying to find a good copy of this lens. It will be worth it once you find one - just be ready to return a lens or two.

P.S. – Don’t rely on Canon’s website for accurate reviews. I wrote a review on the Canon website two weeks ago describing the problems with the lens I received (following all the rules – no prices, etc.). I was not bashing the lens or the company; in fact I was praising what a great lens it is if you get a good copy. I also described the tests / comparisons I ran while trying to get an acceptable image. Since my review, two other “5 star” reviews have been posted, but mine has not. It looks like Canon is trying to hide their poor quality control on the EF 24-70 f/2.8!

Dec 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ar15 to your Buddy List
stev315

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,135.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, build, focus
Cons:
lens hood doesn't give flare protection proportional to its size

My copy is 5 years old now. From the purchase date, this has been my most used lens. First on a 20d, now it lives on a 5D2. I don't think image quality gets much better than this. I'm a serious amateur, but I have professional friends that are equally impressed with the EF 24-70. This is a great lens.

chaengnosce,
Last month, the Canon elves at Utsunomiya produced an optical masterpiece, and now you have it. coz that's life

Dec 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stev315 to your Buddy List
AaronNegro

Registered: Apr 7, 2008
Review Date: Dec 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Continuous 2.8, very well built, not as heavy as I thought, very sharp from f3.5 and sharp at 2.8. Colors pop out of the picture. AF is quick and accurate. Wow factor in the pics.
Cons:
distortion at 24 mm, a bit softer at 70 mm and a bit of vignetting. Not really liking the fact that its zoom ring turn the "opposite way".

See positives and negatives.

This is my early review as I only have it for a couple of days, I replaced a Tamron 24-135 SP for this one and I´m not looking back at all.

I love the feeling it gives while using it. It is reliable and it points where you really focus. Color rendition is much better than with the Tamron.

Great lens so far.

Dec 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AaronNegro to your Buddy List
chaengnosce

Registered: Nov 12, 2009
Review Date: Dec 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: SHARP/ 2.8
Cons:
None yet

Honestly I just got this lens but I used it before and it gave me sharp Images I'm just wondering if you guys would know if the one Ive got is a good copy here's the code: UX 1115 coz i saw a lot of comments about having different copies hope i can get some answers Smile

Dec 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chaengnosce to your Buddy List
Princeli

Registered: Oct 2, 2005
Review Date: Nov 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,185.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp wide open - amazing color and contrast, great feel.
Cons:

I just LOVE this lens. The first time I bought one, was about 5 years ago when I first started working with DSLR's. I didn't like the weight, and though I loved the image quality, I sold it and bought the 24-105L instead. For the next 3 1/2 years, I had seller's remorse. I liked the size of the 24-105, and though the image quality was very good, it just lacked the WOW factor of the 24-70. About a year ago, I sold the 24-105 and bought another 24-70. I DEFINITELY have a SUPER SHARP copy and am ABSOLUTELY thrilled with it! Perhaps it's because my cameras are now gripped, I even like the weight and feel of it this time around... it is very well balanced on my 5D w/grip. I also have primes, such as the 35L, 85 1.8 and the 135L... and honestly, there are times where I actually have to check my software to see if it was a prime or, the 24-70 that was used. When I zoom in to 100%, and see perfectly tack sharp images again and again and again, straight out of my camera in RAW mode, I just grin from ear to ear. I am SO happy I got another one of these lenses... THIS one, will NEVER be sold!!! I can honestly say it is of my absolute favorite lenses, as I can always count on it to produce images that make me (my worst critic) say, "WOW."

Nov 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Princeli to your Buddy List

535 904956 Sep 3, 2014