534 898015 Mar 26, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

rhorta

Registered: Dec 11, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

You cannot "review" a lens based on little more than the experience gathered from renting a broken copy, period.

Any item of gear can get a damning review if the item in question is broken!

It doesn't take much brainpower to understand that this should not form the basis of a review. You can take into account QC issues, but the test / review should be based on a good copy or at least proof that one tried to obtain a good copy from a larger sample, thereby proving bad QC.

In one way the review conforms to logic, it is a flawed as its subject.

Jul 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rhorta to your Buddy List
J-Dawgg

Registered: Jul 8, 2010
Review Date: Jul 9, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Wider aperature than the 28-70L
Cons:
Weight, "Bad Copy-itis," lock-down at 24mm, doesn't register images with 580 EX

I rented one of these from a vey reputable shop after my 28-70L was stolen. Now, especially after reading some of the comments here, I can't decide if I really want to buy one or look for a good used 28-70L.

First of all, when I cranked the lens all the way open to 24mm, it "locked up" there. Like there's a light notch in the barrel that intentionally holds it at 24mm. Where my 28-70 was free-flowing and smoothe from start to finish, the 24-70 required an annoying "unclick" effort to get it back out of the "notch" position. Are you guys experiencing that, or did I get a bad lens?

Next off, while it worked fine with available light, on at least 31 frames with this lens and my 580 EX the flash it did not register. I know the flash was going off, and I tried various tests to make sure the flash wasn't malfunctioning. I had to open up the lens to f3.5 at 1/80th and 1600 ISO before the light would register, and I wasn't more than eight feet from the subjects. Even then the images were often too dark. Conversely, when I took the 24-70 off the camera (5D) and used my 70-200 2.8L I got perfect response every time. I finally stopped using the 24-70, since there was no way to rely on it. Anyone else have this problem?

Then there's the whole "bad copy" thing. Paying well over $1000 for a "bad copy" of anything is absurd. Has anyone ID'd the date codes for these "bad copies," and if so, what are they?

Jul 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add J-Dawgg to your Buddy List
josuaalfian

Registered: Jun 30, 2010
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Jun 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp & fast
Cons:
Price and weight

Jun 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add josuaalfian to your Buddy List
ohyeah

Registered: Apr 10, 2004
Review Date: Jun 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, f/2.8, etc.
Cons:
The reverse lens extension is ingenious, albeit somewhat odd.

I *finally* purchased one!! This lens produces gorgeous images on my 5D2. Sure, I miss IS and the extra reach of the 24-105, but the extra stop, IQ, sharpness, contrast, etc., more than makes up for it! I wish I would have skipped the 24-105 and bought this lens first instead!

Jun 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ohyeah to your Buddy List
nycandre

Registered: Apr 23, 2009
Review Date: Jun 23, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Very very sharp and versatile - very fine bokeh - and built like a tank
Cons:
Heavy and expensive, no IS and I'd so much like larger aperture - even at the expense of reduced focal range.

Built like a tank: I did drop it once, with the cam attached .. the UV filter broke (probably took the brunt of the impact/ energy) but everything else was fine.

Bokeh and resistance to flare is exceptional: here is a shot taken practically against the sun, at the long end (70mm) f/2.8 ISO 400, practically no post processing/ corrections

Regarding resolution, I think it probably outresolves the 5D's sensor. Here is a shot of a large mural map, maybe 20 feet wide, with an enlargement of a small area, maybe 1/50th of it -and the words are *still* legible
To be fair, I did apply the best post processing I could on that part.

It does focus fast, so would be great for street photog were it not for its being so huge. There, the bodyguard had spotted me a mile away, before I came into range of his master. But this was 5th avenue in NYC, in broad daylight - I don't look like a suicidal type, so nothing untoward happened and I got my shot

Jun 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nycandre to your Buddy List
aero_ub

Registered: Aug 18, 2009
Review Date: May 6, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Just get it, you wont be disappointed.
Cons:

Forgot to mention that I also use this lens for and it works very well for long daytime exposures with B&W ND filters. I guess it is all relative but I do not feel that this lens is too large. But, I also have the 100-400mm L and this is small compared to that. It also does not seem large when paired with a camera the size of the 5D II, maybe on smaller crop frames it would seem large or make the camera front heavy. I don't mind carrying it around at all though. I also was thinking I would get a wider angle lens for my lineup but I feel, so far, that this at 24mm is wide enough for my landscape shots on a full frame. Wouldn't be wide enough on a crop frame though.

Long exposure examples with this lens (click 'all sizes' above pics for larger views):

May 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aero_ub to your Buddy List
aero_ub

Registered: Aug 18, 2009
Review Date: May 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, not too heavy, sharp, great walk around lens
Cons:

I am very happy with this lens. I use it on my 5D Mark II and under the right conditions it really takes some GREAT pictures with the 5D II! It is on my camera 80% of the time and I have several other lenses. I do not care one bit that it doesn't have IS, I wish canon would have come out with one so that this lens would have been cheaper lol. It's not cheap but you do get what you pay for, great all round lens.

SAMPLES: Click on 'all sizes' above pic. to see the quality that this lens is capable of!

May 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aero_ub to your Buddy List
nycandre

Registered: Apr 23, 2009
Review Date: Apr 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp at all apertures - focuses fast
Cons:
large, heavy and very expensive

I bought this lens after reading all the relevant reviews mentioning this as the goto lens for all occasions.
It does deliver as promised, but definitely does NOT look unobtrusive - and it is heavy. All this was mentioned in the reviews, so no surprises.
I had meant to test compare the Tamron, Tokina and Sigma alternatives which are a LOT less expensive, about a third of the cost of that 24-70L but never got around to it so just went for that L glass. Figuring it would keep its value and I could always resell it.

I did try the 28-135 IS and the 24-85 - both were defnitely a notch below the 24-70 - either i was able to focus better and/or the glass is sharper /more contrasty.

Recent shot of a friendly woman (stranger to me) in the subway - definitely the 2.8 aperture helped, as well as letting me quickly change to wider focusing length, which made the shot - well, her patterned short skirt and tattoos made it ;-)

Apr 17, 2010
JAlexander

Registered: Jul 17, 2008
Review Date: Apr 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatile focal range, Fast, Sharp
Cons:
Would be even more amazing if it had IS

This lens is my favorite as the focal range is most versatile and the f/2.8 makes it fast enough for most situations. I have found it to produce beautiful photos on both my Canon 5d Mark II and my 7d. I use it for portraits, landscapes, just about everything . . . it is a great walk around lens. This will be the one lens I will keep as long as I have Canon DSLR cameras.

Apr 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JAlexander to your Buddy List
azolbs

Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Review Date: Mar 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatility, colors, sharpness
Cons:
Heavy, but well worth it when you look at the IQ it produces

I upgraded to a fullframe (5DII) and this lens at the same time.

I loved the versatility for street photography/portraits. It was all I really used for 2 weeks travelling in India.

www.alexzolbert.com (First shot taken on the long end of a 70-200 - essentially all the rest with the 24-70)

The colors, the sharpness, the overall image quality really pleased. (We've all heard the reports of bad copies, but I certainly haven't had any issues)

I can see this lens staying on my camera for quite a long time.

Yes, a bit heavy. But I can deal. Yes, expensive. But I found it to be worth every penny.

Mar 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add azolbs to your Buddy List
gazzajagman

Registered: Apr 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's just SO versatile on a FF camera
Cons:
It's heavy for what it is....even Sigma's version is lighter (and they make heavy lenses).

This is quite simply the most versatile f2.8 lens there is...period. It's short MFD allows you to get really nice portraits with great thin DOF. At the wide end, who really needs more than 24mm for every day work?
It's built like a tank and it's a bit over-heavy as a result.
The hood is great, because this lens is short at 70mm and long / extended at 24mm, the hood really works very well at both the focal ends.
Colours and contrast rival primes and other L lenses, this is my most used lens. Worth every penny!

Mar 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gazzajagman to your Buddy List
Zack11

Registered: Jul 24, 2009
Review Date: Mar 19, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, sharp, solid, all around lens!
Cons:

Determinately recommended lens. Don't even think about the price, you will appreciate your decision after the first shot.

Mar 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zack11 to your Buddy List
Valerie S

Registered: Jul 11, 2006
Review Date: Mar 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful colors, sharpness wide open, wonderful bokeh
Cons:

When I went from a crop body to a 1D3, I sold my 17-55/2.8 IS and bought the 24-70/2.8. I had rented the lens and always loved it's bokeh and wonderful color reproduction. I've never regretted it, just need a 16-35/2.8 now too Smile

It can be a little tiresome as a walkaround sometimes, but I'll han g around with my 70-200/2.8 IS for amday or two, and then the n24-70 seems light.

I got to choose between a few copies. Mine is sharp wide open, which is how I use it 99% of the time.

Mar 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Valerie S to your Buddy List
stephix72

Registered: Jan 27, 2010
Review Date: Mar 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,029.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, build quality, overall sharpness
Cons:

This lens is considered my favorite all-round workhorse on my Canon 7D. I would recommend it for several occassion (except for wide angle - photography like landscape ).

Done some shooting in indoor/low light as well as outdoor sunny, I got very sharp photos and nice image quality.

Seems I got a 'good' copy regarding the last reviews.

Mar 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stephix72 to your Buddy List
fairtex

Registered: Jun 28, 2009
Review Date: Mar 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp!, IQ, built-quality, range, constant f2.8...
Cons:
price

Yes, the 24-70 is bulky and expensive. But if you're using it on a bigger camera like a xxD with BG or a xD, I think the size and weight actually becomes handy.
It is still more expensive than lenses like the EF-S 17-55 and way more expensive than the Tamron 17-50 but the EF 24-70 is also sharper (!), has a way better build quality, is wheather-sealed and (of course) can be used on fullframe bodies.

I think the zoom range is very versatile (maybe a bit too long on the 24mm end on a 1.6 x body) and the IQ is as good as it gets for a zoom.
I especially like the hood design: the lens is longest at 24mm, where the front end protrudes into the hood and shortest at 70mm, where the hood offers maximum protection from flare.
Besides the hood, the 24-70mm 2.8 also comes with a nice lense-pouch.
Strongly recommended.

Mar 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fairtex to your Buddy List
Chimp

Registered: Feb 17, 2010
Review Date: Feb 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality
Cons:

After two weeks of regular use, I can say that I'm very happy with it. It's good. I haven't strapped anything on since receiving it (yet) - it has a very useful range.

I was a bit apprehensive prior to buying the lens - and that is only because I read up on the lens. I even rented and borrowed prior to buying and can't fault any of them. I should have started with this lens instead of going the circuitous route of 28-75, Sigma 24-70 and finally the Canon 24-70 - and saved myself the time and tears.

Weight? I ain't complaining - image quality is everything. You don't buy a Ferarri for the comfortable seats...

Feb 17, 2010