534 902991 Mar 26, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Kevin Sherman

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Money-maker. Sharp.
Cons:
Build Quality

Since I traded the 24-105L for this lens, it's by far my most used lens. Sharp, fast, flexible, 24mm is great on FF. It's big and heavy, but that doesn't bother me at all (I shoot with a 1DM3 + 70-200 f2.8L IS for 16 hour days). The lens hood is genius, providing excellent coverage whether you're at 24mm or 70mm.

I mention build quality as a negative, here's why. This lens is built very well (like all L lenses) but after dropping it, I got a super tiny dent on the zoom ring, which is now incredibly stiff. I just sent it out for repair, hopefully it isn't crazy expensive to get fixed.

This lens is my money-maker.

Jan 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin Sherman to your Buddy List
harrappeter

Registered: Dec 11, 2011
Review Date: Dec 11, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Though heavy on a 1Ds it handles well and the hood protects against rain as well as against flare. autofocus is good and it balances well with my body
Cons:
But, and it is a big but, I have so far had the use of four new ones, none of which is anywhere near as good as my 24-85mm f3.5-4.5mm. Curvature of field is so bad that it is like a magic lens. You can focus across a wide street at buildings on the other side, shooting down the street, and getting focus confirmation on the central AF point as usual, and where the point is focussed it will be sharp, but whereas my 24-85mm at 24mm will render everything in focus even at f2.8 into the distance, curvature of field with this extremely expensive zoom renders the rest of the street buildings unsharp, but someone a few meters down the pavement on this side of the street and figures in between that should be out of focus sharp, with an obvious bubble type distortion affecting their humanity- they look unreal. Stopping down even to 5.6 maintains this same problem, but crisps up the edge softness at f2.8 (again due to field curvature). I have been trying to buy a good sample here for three years. I know someone who has one, but he works in a store and could cherry-pick from ordered stock until he got a good one. In the UK poor winter light makes brighter lenses mandatory, but frankly, at 70mm its not sharp at the borders anyway, so why bother?

Not as good as a good 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 .

Dec 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add harrappeter to your Buddy List
filip_makowski

Registered: Nov 25, 2011
Review Date: Nov 25, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Contrast, flare, accurate AF, sharp at f/2.8, solid build
Cons:

I originally had the Sigma EX 24-70mm f/2.8 lens and found the image quality great for the price paid, however it did struggle with autofocus.

I paid 3x as much for the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, and yes the autofocus was much faster, and while the image quality wasn't that much better than the Sigmas, the colours were cleaner and contrast seemed slightly better.

Samples of images with different camera bodies:

Canon 20D: http://www.flickr.com/photos/filipmakowski/6157762929/in/photostream
Canon 20D: http://www.flickr.com/photos/filipmakowski/6158306792/in/photostream
Canon 5D II: http://www.flickr.com/photos/filipmakowski/6157762289/in/photostream
Canon 5D II: http://www.flickr.com/photos/filipmakowski/6158291826/in/photostream

Nov 25, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add filip_makowski to your Buddy List
willis

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast aperture, great colour and contrast, good bokeh for a zoom, built like a tank, useful range on FF and 1.3 crop.
Cons:
Sharpness at f2.8 not up to the standards of Canons latest lenses, heavy, no IS. Must be due for a make-over soon.

A real workhorse lens which won't let you down but also won't thrill the pixel-peepers. Would really benefit from IS. Range not really suited to 1.6 crop cameras IMO and performs better on FF/APS-H rather than the latest high pixel density smaller sensors. It's heavy for what it is but well balanced on pro camera bodies/gripped cameras.

Oct 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add willis to your Buddy List
Andro Lesaca

Registered: Nov 26, 2007
Review Date: Oct 6, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Correction: It's price is definitely a con.

Oct 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andro Lesaca to your Buddy List
Andro Lesaca

Registered: Nov 26, 2007
Review Date: Oct 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Great color rendition, perfect zoom range for a full frame, and expensive.
Cons:
Heavy and bulky (but, the sharpness of this lens is like a prime. So, it's just like carrying around 3-4 primes in one lens.)

I've had this lens for around 5 years now. It has been my workhorse lens for events including weddings. I really enjoy shooting with this lens cause it has an extremely high keeper rate. I used to have both the 24-105L and this lens. My idea back then was that I'd use this lens for work and the 24-105L for traveling. As it turned out my 24-105L just stayed in the dry box most of the time and I would take the 24-70L even on trips, in spite of the weight and zoom range difference. I just was not happy with the output that the 24-105L gave me. Come the day in the distant future that this lens gives up on me, i will definitely buy exactly the same lens.

If you are an event/wedding photographer and you are choosing a standard zoom this lens is THE standard of standard lenses.

As many reviews previous to this one have said, it is obnoxiously heavy and big. But, for me, that's the price you have to pay for having 4 primes stuffed into one lens.

Oct 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andro Lesaca to your Buddy List
GC Montgomery

Registered: Nov 28, 2007
Review Date: Sep 21, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, f/2.8, great build quality
Cons:
price, weight, lack of IS

I got this lens the same day I picked up my 5D Mark II. Coming from a 40D and 7D that I'd used with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, I felt f/2.8 was pretty important to my style of shooting. Shot it for several months on my 5D Mark II and loved it. It's been great for candids and as a general purpose lens but, I think most people would be better served by the 24-105L. If you don't need f/2.8 (and I'd say most don't), the 24-105L offers more versatility if you can only afford one of the two.

On image quality, my copy has been very good. It's sharp across the frame with readily correctable distortion that's only noticeable to me if I do something goofy like a head-on shot of a brick wall. The zoom and focus rings are well placed and well damped. There are no errant rattles or loose fitting pieces. It's built like a tank and called the brick...I think both names are well suited to this lens.

While I think one can get better results from the combination of the 24L, 35L, 50L and 85L, the combined cost and weight of said combination is far greater than that of the 24-70L with none of the convenience. With that in mind, I think the 24-70L is a better than average value. Third party alternatives like Sigma's 24-70mm f/2.8 are tempting and probably work just fine for some but, the total experience of having used that lens along side the Canon tells me it's worth my time and money to save my pennies long enough to go with the Canon option.

Sep 21, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GC Montgomery to your Buddy List
Simon Elwell

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Aug 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, image quality, versatility
Cons:
none - in a parallel universe the same lens but lighter would be nice...

Have lived with this lens now for 2 and a half years - it has become my always-on-the-camera lens; my default. Unfailingly good images, bright vivid colours and sharp as you like.

Don't harp on about "when will canon build this lens with IS?" it doesn't need it and maybe that's why it is so long-lived.

It's one of my least glamorous bits of kit - but it delivers time and again. The only good reason not to buy this lens is if you can't afford it. If you can - buy one.

Aug 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Simon Elwell to your Buddy List
AirbornePhoto

Registered: Jul 30, 2011
Review Date: Jul 30, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely fantastic lens. very little abberation, extremely sharp, the DOF is insane!!
Cons:
none.

This needs to be (if not already) the standard lens for every professional photographer. It's build quality is amazing (it's survived a deployment in afghanistan, enough said). It's sharpness is unmatched by any other EF standard zoom lens. I'm somewhat sick of people complaining that there is no IS on this lens. I see very little reason to need IS in a lens like this. The hood on it is also well made. This lens is amazing on my 1Ds, and equally as great on my 7D. The price is fairly high for the average photographer, but you're getting so much more than what you're paying for. Every photographer should have this lens in their bag.

Jul 30, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AirbornePhoto to your Buddy List
Fast Shadow

Registered: Oct 7, 2004
Review Date: Jul 26, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Pretty much everything. Sharp, good DoF, fast focus, reliable. Built like a tank.
Cons:
A little vulnerable to chromatic aberration on very bright days.

I avoided buying this lens for many years because I've always heard that the quality was hit and miss. I finally decided to get one because I really needed a walkaround zoom lens for car shows and for very short range panning shots at motorsports events. All I can say is that I wish I had bought this lens years ago. The focus speed is very fast. It's built like a tank. It's razor sharp. I could not be happier. Mine is a UX date code, so perhaps Canon fixed whatever inconsistencies there were in manufacturing.

Jul 26, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fast Shadow to your Buddy List
neighborsgoat

Registered: Jul 21, 2011
Location: Romania
Review Date: Jul 21, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, color rendition and lens build
Cons:
"lottery buy" (fourth copy was the winner)

Firstly I wold not recommend purchasing this lens online, and here's why: Personally, I had to try two copies at the photo store. Once I got home and put the lens to work I noticed that I got a sharp one, but the autofocus was hunting. The next day I went back to the store, tested two more and finally got the good one. That should not happen, Canon, with a lens worth 1069 EUR ! (I'm from Europe).

Secondly, once you get the right copy, you'll be impressed by the picture quality and color rendition. Still, not as tack sharp as my 70-200 f4 IS, but very close to that. Excellent build, I'm not complaining about the weight because I know that this comes with all good L lenses. Love the hood and the fact that although the lens extends while zooming out, it does not "pump" air inside the camera body (sensor end of the lens is sealed).

Jul 21, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neighborsgoat to your Buddy List
knightrider12

Registered: Jul 17, 2011
Review Date: Jul 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,439.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well balance for its size! Takes tack sharp images
Cons:
None, Except for the Sticker Price !

This lens is truly a magnificent piece of engineering! Recently purchase the newest version. It's a bit on the heavy side. But, it is worth the trade off. The image quality is super sharp and colors are very crisp. It is the best lens that I've own by far. All I can say is !!! If you can get a hold of one by rent, borough or buy one.... then start snapping away... That is when, you realize the appreciation of this lens !

Regards,
Knightrider12

Jul 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add knightrider12 to your Buddy List
studioaw

Registered: Jun 11, 2011
Review Date: Jun 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal length on full frame camera, build quality, IQ, Look and feel, f2.8
Cons:
None. Truly Awsome.

Ok, how shall I begin?

Firstly the trivial stuff. Some people have complained about the size/weight and price of this lens. Yes, it is big and not very light and yes, it does cost alot of money. However these are not negative points!

The way it feels in your hands is awsome! It's weight and size are an advantage. You feel as though you are holding something tangible, a precision instrument that has been designed to tackle any situation!

The ergonomics are spot on. Another great design point is the way the lens hood is attached to the main body of the lens and not to the extending section. This way the hood stays fixed and provides optimum protection from lens flair at all focal lengths!

The lens is expensive, but when you look at what it offers interms if build, IQ and versatility nothing (IMO) comes close!

As I said above, this is the perfect lens on a full frame body! This is an important fact to consider. 24mm on a crop sensor is quite "wide" (38mm on 1.6crop) and the overall versatility is compromised. A lens covering this focal length, particulary one able to go as wide as f2.8 deservers to be used as a multipurpose, everyday, multitask, walkabout lens and IMO can't truly be used like this on a crop sensor.

Next lets talk about image quality. Many people have complained about the lack of sharpness in there copies. I brought mine second hand a few years back from mifsuds photographic (Highly recomended) in Brixham, uk. I had read about these issue and asked them to service the lens before it was dispatched.

After receiving it and doing some test shots a have not found any issues in terms for images sharpness. In fact for a zoom it is
very good! Not a massive amount of difference between my 135L. Don't get me wrong, the 135L is sharper, but not by a million miles!

Lastly I want to note how this lens looks! IMO this is the best looking lens canon makes (with the hood on) the presence of this lens tells people you mean business!!!

Overally this is the perfect multi use lens, particulary if you have a full frame camera. I would highly recomend it!!!

Alex

Jun 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add studioaw to your Buddy List
NygaardDK

Registered: Apr 23, 2011
Review Date: May 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, build, colours, weight, AF, IQ, weight - feels well balanced on my 5d
Cons:

After having been through a bad copy of the Tammy 28-75 F2.8 followed by a bad copy of the Canon 28-70 F2.8 it was a relieft to lay my hands on a brand new copy of the 24-70 F2.8. Whoa what a lens!
I have read many posts about bad copies of this lens, even straight from factory - mine is better than average at all points.

Build excellent - even compared to the old 28-70. I lige the more rugged build of this one - it overall feels more solid. Prime sharp at all apertures, I canīt believe how sharp this lens is at F2.8!

Get a good copy of this lens and you will absolutely love it!

May 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add NygaardDK to your Buddy List
dmcharg

Registered: Nov 30, 2003
Review Date: Apr 29, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent mid range zoom covering a very very useful range.
Cons:
Its big and heavy and no IS.

I was very disappointed with my first copy of this lens, it just seemed fuzzy and not very sharp. Even after calibration it still wasn't good enough for my liking so i sent it back and had it replaced. My 2nd copy is much much better.

I use this lens on a 50D. For me it has replaced 17-40/35 1.4L/85 1.8. Whilst its big/heavy lens i find 24-70 to be an extremely useful focal length and having 2.8 through out the range is really useful. Its long enough that i can use it for portraits etc and the 2.8 gives me nice bokeh. I find 24 is wide enough for my needs but if you like really wide angle then on a 1.6x body you may find this limiting. Coupled with a 70-200 it provides amazing quality over a very very useful range.

Don't be put off by the bad copies etc because this is an excellent lens. If you get a bad copy, send it in for calibration asap and if that doesn't work get it replaced. You don't need to detailed tests to determine if its sharp, take some real pics at different focal lengths and apertures and it will be obvious, just make sure your shutter speed is high enough.

Apr 29, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dmcharg to your Buddy List
lucas lumiere

Registered: Feb 10, 2011
Review Date: Feb 25, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, colour, build quality, range (on FF), reliability, focus
Cons:
weight (although pretty standard for a 2.8 zoom)

I have to give this lens top marks. This lens has been a workhorse for me and I highly recommend it to anyone needing the versatility of a mid-range fast aperture lens. Colours are fantastic and combined with a full-frame camera body the range is extremely versatile. I frequently find myself amazed at the image quality. It is sharp wide-open and by f4 I often am amazed that it is as sharp or sharper than many primes at comparable aperture. CA/Fringing is extremely well controlled, better than many of my primes in the same range.

This lens is a must for anyone shooting weddings and events. I am enjoying using L series primes more so these days because I have become a bit of a bokeh whore, but I don't think I'll be able to give this lens up.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Feb 25, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lucas lumiere to your Buddy List

534 902991 Mar 26, 2014