535 906422 Sep 3, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

comradeTJH

Registered: Apr 20, 2006
Review Date: Jun 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast Focus, build quality
Cons:
Major Quality-Controll issues, lots of copies backfocuses, too much fringing for an L lens in this price class

This is now my second copy of the lens and I'm experiencing the same issues I did with my first one. Backfocuses most of the time (sometimes even visible in the viewfinder), so you just can't rely on the AF. Approx. 1 out of 10 pictures were focused correctly though. Overall image-quality does not match any of my primes (EF 50 F1.4 and EF 100 F2.8 Macro) nor the very far superior EF 70-200 F4 L which is only the half price!

There's even even lot of fringing throughout the images and very soft wide open! Experienced less vignetting than I expected though.

So, overall I'm (again) quite disappointed by this lens. Most probably I 'just' got a bad copy again but I start wordering how difficult it is to get a good one. If you can get your hands on fortunate one it's definately a superb lens regarding all the very positive reviews.

Jun 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add comradeTJH to your Buddy List
swormley

Registered: Feb 15, 2006
Review Date: Jun 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent general purpose lens on my full frame dSLR
Cons:

Wide-angle lenses are the hardest to use effectively and one can't
expect lenses like EF 16-35mm F2.8 L USM and EF 24-70mm F2.8 L USM
to perform with the same edge to edge sharpness as quality telephoto
lenses at maximum aperture. Wide-angle lenses have greater chromatic
aberration and distortion. Having acknowledged that, Canon has done
a remarkable job in the design of their fast wide angle zoom lenses.

Darwin Wiggett's article, "How to Use Wide Angle Lenses Effectively"
at http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0403/dw0403-1.html is
instructive in technique and perceptions.

Hard to imagine now, but I was really disappointed when bought my
first wide-angle lens, Canon's FD 24mm F2.8 many years ago. I grew
to love and use that 24mm lens effectively. Having switched to full
frame dSLR, I chose to go with the EF 16-35mm F2.8 L USM and
EF 24-70mm F2.8 L USM. These are excellent lenses and were good
choices for me.

Jun 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add swormley to your Buddy List
scseh

Registered: May 30, 2005
Review Date: Jun 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,179.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack Sharp...Very Fast....Amazing Clarity....Gorgeous Details....
Cons:
Expensive and Heavy

For the past year, I had been sitting on the fence about picking up the Tamron 24-75 XR DI F/2.8 Lens.

Initially, I wanted to get the Tamron because it was touted as offering the quality of this lens at 1/3 the price. Back then, the Tamron XR DI lens was in short supply and was mainly available as a used eBay or Craigslist lens.

Mixed in with the numerous stories of trying to find the Tamron lens were the numerous reports of many Tamron lens' having QA issues. Purchasing a good copy was like a roll of the dice. It was this dicey risk that ultimately caused me to put the Tamron efforts in the shoebox.

I had a conversation with a co-worker regarding the Tamron vs Canon L Series lens. He gave some good arguments in favor of the Canon 24-70 L series lens. His arguments were unargueable and they were the seeds that caused me to look more closely at this lens.

I read some negative postings, and I read many positive postings. The positive postings dwarfed the negative postings.

The only thing that held me back from buying this lens before was money.

What pushed me to finally pull the trigger and purchase this lens was money.

In addition to money, I had photography related events that were coming up like my cousin's Baby Baptism, a family wedding next month, and my daughter's pre-school graduation at the end of June.

I got a bonus check at work and the time was right.

I drove to Keeble and Shuchat in Palo Alto on Friday. They were running a no sale tax promotion. I would have ordered from B&H if the promotion had not happened.

I picked up the 24-70 F/2.8 lens, a $110 UV filter to protect the lens, a Battery Grip, and an OMNI-BOUNCE for my 580EX flash.

I took the new lens and Battery Grip to a children's birthday party on Saturday, and to my niece's baby baptism on Sunday.

I took the pictures in RAW format and used Raw Shooter's Premium 2006 to adjust and to output to JPEG format last night.

The pictures were awesome. Many of the pictures were very detailed and tack sharp.

On portrait shots, you could see the minor details on a person's face. This includes imperfections, pores, and baby facial hairs.

Just seeing the quality of this lens so far is extremely impressive. I have not looked back since purchasing this lens.

I have a Canon 20D that I purchased one year ago so I had to pay that off before buying this lens. I wish that I had this lens a year ago when I got married.

After purchasing the 20D, I was using a cheap Canon lens that I bought on eBay for $80. My pictures were ok.

The combination of this lens and my 20D give me picture quality that I couldn't imagine.

Also, the battery grip gives you more room to grip especially with the weight of this lens.

The combination of the battery grip and the 24-70 L Lens has pretty much tripled the weight of the camera from its previous configuration of camera and cheap eBay Canon lens.

The only downside to this lens is that the pictures look so good that it raises your standards so that your next lens purchase will most likely be another L Series lens.

Qualitatively, this is a good thing. Quantitatively, this may not be a good thing for your wallet.

If you want a lens that will perform out of the box, then this is the lens to get if it fits the range that you need and fits your budget.

If it doesn't fit your budget, then maybe the Tamron lens is a good starter lens with the eventual graduation to this lens.

Jun 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add scseh to your Buddy List
mcd0234

Registered: May 30, 2006
Review Date: May 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: build is fantastic, sharp, bokeh is about as good as it can get, colour, inspires confidence
Cons:
hood attachment (goes for Canon in general though)

I had the old version of this lens which was very, very good. After getting rid of that to one of my occasional wedding assistants, I was deciding if I should buy this or the new 17-55 IS. After playing with them both (and I am surprised by just how good the new 17-55 IS is, with the exception of build for the price asked) I decided to stick with this lens as it still hasn't been bested by anything, it simply inspires confidence and I know what I am going to get - which is great shots. The colour, sharpness, bokeh, its just all fantastic. It is also in my sweet spot as far as range goes (I do use bodies with a 1.6 crop), in fact I'd say 60-70% of shots from a wedding or even a portrait shoot are from this lens, albeit perhaps a little less percentage for portraits. I rarely need to go wider except when I'm doing landscape shots, and that is a fun pursuit to me not something I get paid for - I have another lens for that. Simply stunning, I don't know if everybody needs it as there are cheaper alternatives that give very good results, but they are not in the same class - or price - as this guy. This on one body and a 70-200 on the other and I'm ready to go, I couldn't ask for more. I do think it is slightly better as far as sharpness compared to the 28-70L, but in fairness it has been some years since I bought that. My one complaint, and it goes for Canon lenses in general, is the fiddly hood, you have to look to see what you are doing which should not be necessary. It is a useful hood though and I appreciate how they try to keep their filter size at 77mm

May 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mcd0234 to your Buddy List
Remford

Registered: Aug 7, 2005
Review Date: May 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: L-Series Construction, Tremendously Useful Zoom Range, Fast f/2.8 Aperture, Very Nice Contrast and Vivid Color
Cons:
Weight/Balance, Average Sharpness

For a non-stabilized standard zoom, the 24-70 f/2.8 L is a very useful handheld portrait and interior and available light lens.

The 24-70 L produces color-rich output with only minimal corner softness and light fall-off at its widest apertures. Its sharpness and image quality are consistent throughout its range.

Without a substantial body, it can seem large and a bit awkward in achieving a comfortable balance. However, it is every bit of an L lens, built for front-line combat duty, yet with surgical instrument precision.

The 24-70 is the functional alternative to the 24-105 L f/4 IS for those who need wider aperture to stop action or narrow DOF more than the ability to mitigate camera shake. Some see these two lenses as an either/or decision, however I own both and find myself reaching for either depending upon the circumstance as they bring very different strengths to the table.

It controls CA and flaring very well for a lens whose range is as wide as 24, and light fall-off is nothing remarkable for a standard zoom capable of f/2.8 maximum aperture.

Although it is very versatile and useful as a convenient and capable portrait zoom in addition to being a popular "wedding lens" for its ability to shoot indoors without flash (in many circumstances) without unduly compromising output quality by excessive ISO-induced noise, and providing a DOF/focal length range that affords very good creative potential, I found it to be somewhat less-than-razor-sharp at f/2.8. I'm certain that this is as much a result of the nature of things than the lens itself, but when shooting for detail, despite everything else there is to like about this lens, I was somewhat unimpressed.

Given its tremendously useful focal length range, it is very useful on all EF mount types and crop factors and represents very good value for mone. Should Canon produce a stabilized version of the same lens, it would be the ultimate handheld lens, bar none.

May 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Remford to your Buddy List
Benny L

Registered: Feb 4, 2006
Review Date: May 27, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: fast aperture f2.8
Cons:
Not Sharp!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although being an L lens you expect the best, but when you start really looking at your photos and comparing between prime lenses and this it is completely sub-par to my expectations! even my clients can tell the difference! I will be selling mine for either the 24-105 f4L IS or the 50mm f1.4 USM and some goodies.

May 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Benny L to your Buddy List
mg98

Registered: Mar 24, 2005
Review Date: May 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast quiet focussing; 24mm on wide end essential w/ crop factor on 20D; resolves amazing amount of detail
Cons:
Expensive

I compared this lens to a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di and some primes at f/2.8 and f/5.6 (because these cover the usual aperture range I use for event photography). It bettered the Tamron, but only slightly. It did a very comendable job against the primes. You can see the actual comparsion images from these on a page at my web site: http://www.mgm-photography.com/lens_test/lens_test.htm

When you start making money with your photography, I think the 24-70 f/2.8 L is worth the money. The Tamron performs quite well though (if you can get a good copy; I've got one I may be selling..;-), and I would recommend it to anyone who is more of a hobbyist but wants excellent image quality in the 28-75mm range.

May 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mg98 to your Buddy List
bocaminus

Registered: Apr 19, 2006
Review Date: May 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great range, solid built, fast and sharp
Cons:
none so far although my first one was a bad copy

After a month of debate between this lens and 17-40mm I went and bought this glass. Unfortunately my first copy was the bad one. Very noticeable CA problem.... so I took it back and I've got the replacement, no question asked (Henrys is really good about this). This is the solid lens. It does weight a little bit more than 17-40mm but that's where you'll find a slight quality difference between these two gems. I took approximately 200 shot with this lens on my Digital Rebel XT and my friendís 20D. I am quite satisfied. Pictures are sharp and crisp wide open or not. Itís a pleasure working with it especially with high aperture Ö. super fast focus even under very limited light conditions. I found focal range quite adequate for any serious amateur photographer and I have no complains about it.
On the flip side of the coin, this lens has reversed zoom direction. To zoom out for example, you have to turn the ring clock wise and vise versa Ö. kind a strange but I am sure I will get use to it. Donít fool yourself, this is a one heavy lens Ö it weight 2.1 lb! On my Digital Rebel XT feels really weird. I canít find a balance so easily and I am sure I got to get a battery pack just to put more weight on my camera. If you carry this lens for everyday shooting, you might find it balky but once you go back home and check your photos youíll forget it in a second.

As an EX EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM owner, I can really appreciate this glass and its quality. I sold my 17-85mm to finance this puppy and I have no regrets what so ever. If you have money to spend, I would highly recommend this lens Ö.

May 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bocaminus to your Buddy List
ivyinvestor

Registered: Mar 17, 2006
Review Date: May 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Reliable AF; beautiful bokeh; solidity; high contrast; low CA.
Cons:
Extension while zooming wide is further than I'd have expected, but not really a "negative"! :)

Debated between this lens and (surprise!) the 24-105.

The 24-70mm just felt "right" to me, despite the gain of IS (but loss of f/2.8) on the 24-105.

Superb contrast and low CA across the range (low aberrations/distortions otherwise).

Beautiful "available light" portrait lens.

Reasonable sharpness in low light (f/2.8); grand image quality at f/4, and outstanding imagery at f/8. Most of what I've shot with this lens has been between f/2.8 and f/3.5: I am very pleased.

Two recent shots with it included graduation coverage and a father+two daughters portrait session last weekend: I was quite proud of the 24-70's renderings!

May 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ivyinvestor to your Buddy List
johnastovall

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: May 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great range on full frame and very nice on 1.6. Sharp images, great color and ever so fast to focus
Cons:

I debated long and hard over getting this lens for my 20D after all the "bad" copy reports about it on the net. I got it and think those are a load of hogwash. This is a great sharp lens with great color.
It was very good on the 20D and gave me the range and speed for daily use but when I got the 5D it really came into it's own.

It's the perfect "walk around" zoom for a full frame Canon.

Don't listen to those who talk about its problems, they are the ones with the problem not the lens.

May 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnastovall to your Buddy List
fozzybear1969

Registered: Oct 27, 2004
Review Date: May 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, color saturation, solid build, weather sealed, USM, f/2.8, 24-70mm.
Cons:
Price (but worth it), weight (will get use to).

This a solid piece of glass. Excellent build and weather sealed not that it matters on my 20D but usefull if I move to a 1D series camera. The images are very sharp and the colours are amazing. This lens is heavy but balances nicely on my 20D with grip. I can get use to the weight and feel of this lens. Focuses fast and quite USM make this lens pricey but worth every penny.

May 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fozzybear1969 to your Buddy List
mfurman

Registered: Jan 16, 2005
Review Date: May 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Very good build.
Cons:
Copy problems - QC problems.

I am trying to be as objective as possible and that is why I am not including the negatives of the lens I purchased. Let's consider them a specific copy problem. Nevertheless my copy of this lens (UU0327) was very bad: sharp at 70 mm but only acceptable at 50 mm and soft at 28 and 24 mm. After seeing horrible barrel distortions at 24 mm (I was checking it for an hour), I returned the lens. It could have been probably repaired but I think that an L lens (it was new, out of the box) should never be that bad. I decided NOT to get another 24-70 f/2.8L.

May 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mfurman to your Buddy List
jfk03

Registered: Mar 20, 2006
Review Date: May 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and clear, great color, fast focusing, excellent build.
Cons:
Hood won't fit in camera bag

I love this lens! It is extremely versatile, especially for events. Takes excellent portraits. It is on my 30D about 80% of the time.

May 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jfk03 to your Buddy List
Alistair Watson

Registered: Mar 21, 2005
Review Date: May 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, quiet, f2.8
Cons:
Not wow sharp!

This is my walkaround lens on my 1D Mark II N. Very useful zoom range on a 1.3x sensor body, an excellent lens but a little bit short of great, sharpness isn't in the same league as my 70-200 f2.8L IS USM. Saturation is wonderful, the pictures are bright and really stand out. The lens is coming up on 1 1/2 years old so might send it in to Canon soon and for minor tune up and to eek out that last bit of sharpness!

All round, an excellents lens. Highly recommended.

May 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alistair Watson to your Buddy List
GEO-hiker

Registered: May 12, 2006
Review Date: May 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp color contrast ,dust seal,
Cons:
body and hood is biger ,cost

I wonder why old ef28-70/2.8 got 9.6 high remarks on this REVIEW, and meanwill the new 24-70 noly get 9? I had used two of 28-70 , and finaly upgrated to the new 24-70 .

The color and contrast of both are similar ,the old one is also good, but seem little soft at the 70mm end(wide open), The 24-70/2.8 is more sharper ,especially at the 70 end.

But the old 28-70 is dust sucker , BUT you can never worry this situation on the 24-70. Consider the bulit quality i give the EF24-70/2.8 10 score, the old EF28-70/2.8 9 score.

May 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GEO-hiker to your Buddy List
dHitman

Registered: Jun 4, 2005
Review Date: May 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Sharp Sharp!!! Beautiful colors, contrast and first class build quality. Fast, quiet and spot-on focusing. All apertures usable. CA and distortion very well controlled.
Cons:

It's one of the great zoom lens ever made from Canon so don't miss it. It's incredibly sharp when it's well focused with good lighting. Don't be suprised when you can actually see facial hairs, skin texture, open pores and even nostril hairs very clearly on your pics with this lens!! Beware :o)

Some users complaint that it's not that sharp, I believe the reasons behind that are (1) when it's not focused properly, (2) not enough lights or flash lights and (3) camera shake. It's quite heavy for begginers to handle so that could be the problem.

Focusing is very fast and quiet, thanks to USM. Lovely colors and contrast. Very well build. CA and distortion is very well controlled. I find all apertures to be sharp even at f2.8 (which is reasonably sharp). I strongly recommend this lens to those who are still contemplating about it. Go for it, I'm sure you won't regret but you will regret if you don't!!

May 3, 2006