534 904026 Mar 26, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Review Date: Dec 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. Excellent focus accuracy and speed. Great contrast and colors too!
Cons:
Lens hood is big but well designed.

This is truely a world class lens. I originally had the 24-105 f/4 L IS, which is a wonderful lens, but I was never content with it after borrowing a friends 24-70. The enhanced focusing of the 30d at 2.8 or wider really makes this lens shine. I miss the extra range out to 105 and of course the IS, but I have no regrets with this lens.

Dec 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
bbudman

Registered: Dec 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,024.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Robust build quality, Weather sealing, Quiet and fast autofocus, F/2.8 aperture, Super sharp even wide open. Did I mention super sharp?
Cons:
Slightly heavy but quality glass is going to be this way!

When I first decided I had an interest in this lens I tried one at my local retail camera shop. Honestly the sharpness was no better that my EF 28-105 USM II. Sure the contrast and colors were better but wide open it was a disappointment. I tried a second copy a few weeks later with the same result. I ended up buying the Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro and used it for a few months before selling it. It was pretty sharp wide open but the autofocus was noisy and the manual focus override annoyed me. For some time I have considered buying the 24-105 L IS but in the end I just wanted the F/2.8 aperture because I prefer faster glass over IS for my shooting style. Finally I broke down and purchased one from B&H because I figured I would give it another chance. Plenty of people I know own this lens and love it and I figured if I did get another soft copy I would return it to Canon for calibration. As luck would have it I did receive a sharp copy. In fact this lens is as sharp wide open at all focal lengths as my 70-200 F/2.8L IS!

I am so happy I bought this lens. On my 1.3x Mark II N this lens is great. It is wide enough for a walk around lens and the photo quality far exceeds my expectations. The color and contrast just blows me away. I have shot indoors as well as outside and all of the photos so far are sharp as a razor. This lens has yet to miss focus and even indoors without flash I have yet to see it hunt for focus! Outdoors stopped down it gets even sharper! At F/5.6 it is amazing. Sure is has some weight to it especially attached to my 1 series body but I can handle it. I am really looking forward to vacation next week because this lens is going to be attached to one body at all times. It is that good! The other nice thing is the zoom. I love the fact that the lens gets shorter with the increase in focal length. With the hood attached the lens never appears to change size with focal length unlike the Sigma. Finally the autofocus has to be praised. It is the most quiet lens I own. It is so quiet that had I not seen the image pop in to focus I would not have known it was working at all. Thumbs up to Canon on this one! I rated this a 10 across the board. I got a great deal when I purchased mine but I would have gladly paid more had I known it would be this good.

Dec 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bbudman to your Buddy List
jlafontaine

Registered: Dec 22, 2006
Review Date: Dec 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Contrast, build, reverse zooming mechanism.
Cons:
Wish it was a bit smaller

I've taken thousands of pictures with this lens on my 5d I'm amazed by the image quality. I upgraded from the Tamron 28-75 F28 DI bla bla bla bla... and it was worth every penny. I loved the Tamron, but this one has a much better build, focussing mechanism, and IQ! I must admit that at F/5.6 I could hardly tell the difference between the two lens, Canon having a slight advantage, but I shoot mostly F/2.8 and this is where the Tamron fails. The Tamron was MUCH to soft at F2.8. If you are on a budget and shoot mostly F4 or higher, get the Tamron, else get the Canon, you won't regret it.

Dec 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlafontaine to your Buddy List
Brikwall

Registered: Jul 2, 2006
Review Date: Dec 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,379.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptional image and build quality.
Cons:

I needed something wider to compliment my 70-200mm f/2.8L USM. I looked at a number of options, including other Canon models (EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS) as well as Tamron's 17-50mm f/2.8 and 28-75mm f/2.8. I kept coming back to this lens.

The Tamrons, despite the significant difference in price, simply didn't have the same feel as the Canon L-series lenses. The EF-S 17-55mm was rejected since I can't use it with my 35mm film camera. The 24-105mm f/4L, although being a very nice lens, was also unsuitable: IS and an extended focal range just don't make up for the loss of one f-stop and the nicer bokeh for portrait work.

Some people complain about the weight of this lens but, compared to the 70-200mm f/2.8L, it feels significantly lighter. And, being shorter than the 70-200, it also seems to be better balanced on the RebelXT. I also don't see the over-sized lens hood as an issue since it remains fixed as the lens extends and retracts during zooming. Instead, I see this as additional protection for the barrel when it's extended and, more than likely, at its weakest.

Some people also complain about the focal range being "odd" or "impractical" when used on a 1.6x FOVCF body like the RebelXT (38-112mm equivalent). Personally, I find the "roughly" 35mm wide-end acceptable for group shots and some interiors (larger rooms). I don't do a lot of landscape photography, so don't lament the loss of the 24-35mm (35mm equiv.) focal range when used on my RebelXT (of course, I still have that capability when used on my film body). I like the fact that, when used on the RebelXT, this lens extends well into the focal range generally used for head-and-shoulder portraits, meaning it serves well for both full-body and close-up portrait work.

This lens performs just as well as my 70-200mm f/2.8L. Images are sharp, even wide open, and contrast and colour saturation are great. AF is quick and responsive. I love the additional option of Full-Time Manual, which is great in low-light and low-contrast situations.

What more can I say - I think this lens is fantastic!

Dec 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brikwall to your Buddy List
Christopher-J

Registered: Jun 9, 2006
Review Date: Dec 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast focus, SUPER sharp images, great color, great range, makes me feel like I can shoot anything!
Cons:
Price but only if you don't look at it as something you will use for years, once you look at it that way the price works out to be very little permonth over the life of the lens.

Coming from the Canon 28-80 f2.8-4 L and then the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 DG EX, two very excellent lenses I decided to treat myself to something I read was pure gold. What I read was absolutely correct the Canon 24-70 f2.8 L is pure gold, it is a masterpiece in a Professional grade lens that works flawlessly with digital SLR cameras.

Released in November 2002 it is fairly new. Replacing the now discontinued 28-70 f2.8 L that was released back in November 1993. This new lens was basically rebuilt from the previous model to allow close focusing of 0.38m/1.3ft which is the closest focus in this class range. It also had a circular diaphragm added to it so the background blur is smooth and beautiful for those that like what is artistically called bokeh. The build of this lens is L quality, built like a tank and the filter size is 77.

The weight of this lens weighs pretty much the same as the 28-70 L, 28-80 L and Sigma 24-70 EX DG lenses which although seem heavy at first you move past the weight once you see the images it produces. Ah yes, did you think I forgot to mention the Image Quality? I saved the best for last.

After playing around with this lens the first time I went to my computer opened Adobe Photoshop and began to do the long task of photo processing once the images were on my computer. Then my eyes fully opened and I was amazed at the quality of not only the images razor sharpness but also the color it produces. No other L lens I have has done this good. The images are simply amazing.

So if you can afford the (around) $1200 US retail this lens sells for brand new I would certainly add it to your gear. It is worth it in every way!

Dec 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Christopher-J to your Buddy List
Ahamed Iqbal

Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Review Date: Dec 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1) Excellent image quality, 2)Excellent sharpness, 3)Solid Feel, 4) Shallow depth of field, 5) Resale value (not that i'd ever sell it!)
Cons:
1) Cost (but it is an L series)

Was on the fence between getting this or the Tamron 28-75. What made me decide on this lens was that on a full frame sensor the quality of the lens from corner to corner was worth it.
I am very happy that I chose this lens. While some may find it heavy, the solid feel and durable construction are very big positives for me. You can really feel the quality and precision.
The availability of the 2.8 is very useful when you want to get a shot in low light or more often to blur backgrounds to emphasize the subject. The availability of large aperture is something you really only notice when you don't have it. For instance I've used this lens MUCH more than my 70-200 4.0L mainly because of the larger maximum aperature.
Additionally the extra 4mms on the wide end do make a good amount of difference on a full frame camera (especially when shooting landscapes or large groups).
As mentioned the price was the only sticking point but given the quality and sharpness made it worthwhile. Additionally lenses unlike bodies do not go down in value that much over time so a quality lens is a very good investment.

Dec 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ahamed Iqbal to your Buddy List
bakerwi

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Dec 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I once owned this lens and sold it. I recently purchased the Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF). While the Tamron is a good lens; it is no substitute for this fabulous lens. I've just repurchased this lens and the only way I will replace this lens is if Canon makes this lens with Image Stabilization. Iíve also owned the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, which is also a great lens, but I need the additional stop of light. Long live the king.
Cons:
Weight could be a negative, but the quality of the photos is worth every once.

Dec 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bakerwi to your Buddy List
Teja Singh

Registered: Dec 5, 2006
Review Date: Dec 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp with excellent image reproduction. Solid build quality and excellent image quality throughout the range
Cons:
Weight - but for such a lens this is a minor point

I bought this lens a week ago, while on a recent visit to LA.

Initially, I had a choice of purchasing this lens, or the Canon 24-105 f4 IS L, however, requiring the f2.8 meant that this lens ended up in my camera bag!

This is my 3rd L lens (already own a 17-40mm L f4 and a 70-200mm L f4) and although I was used to L-lens image quality, this lens blew me away. Very impressive. The f2.8 yielded fantastic portraits.

Lugging this lens around (attached to a Canon 350D) through various theme parks and tourist attractions eventually resulted in neck and shoulder pain. The gigantic hood also means you attract a lot of attention from passers-by. However, this was a small price to pay for the amazing shots this lens produced.

Comes highly recommended if your budget can allow it!

Dec 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Teja Singh to your Buddy List
bbrat

Review Date: Nov 29, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,150.00

Pros: build, sharpness, af speed, colors,contrast, size and weight. 2.8 through out.
Cons:

this lens is a tank! for some the weight may be an issue, but for me i like it. its fast and accurate lens. sharp, colors are great, contrast. image quality is nothing short of great! i use it on a 30D and love it. on a FF i would think its the ideal walk around lens.

Nov 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bbrat to your Buddy List
workingonit

Review Date: Nov 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: you tell me
Cons:
dont know

Not sure if this is the right way to ask questions, but Im also lookin at getting lens, I live in USA . I was wondering if all the issues I have read about with certain copies of this lens have been worked out, and if not is there a particular store , or site i can purchase and have more likely of a chance to get a "good copy" ?

Nov 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add workingonit to your Buddy List
bbrat

Review Date: Nov 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: colors, contrast, sharpness, boken, hood, size, weight and 2.8 throughout on my 30D. i bet its even better on a FF.
Cons:
none at all!!

fantastic lens on my 30D. i would like to think on a FF camera it would be perfect. i like the weight and size while others may not? personal preference i guess? its on my 30D 85% of the time. worth every penny. 2 things that could make this lens better, add IS to it and maybe make it a 17/20-75/80 range zoom with 2.8 throught? but it would most likely be heavier and bigger, and make some other lenses obsolete? no complaints on this lens. love it!

Nov 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bbrat to your Buddy List
Audiomix

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Nov 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: everything
Cons:
nothing, except the bulky and uggly hood

I shoot with 5D. This zoom seems to be THE Lens to use with the camera. Much "better" than 24-105/4 I bought with the camera - virtually no contest, within the same range of course. Lack of IS doesnīt bother me - the colour, contrast and sharpness are just out of this world! Even at f/2.8. My dealer (in Sweden) tells me that only some very early manufactured copies had some problems with sharpness. Quote: "All recent lenses ARE perfect as Canon have raised their quality control standards", unquote!

Nov 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Audiomix to your Buddy List
DARKSTI

Registered: Jul 9, 2006
Review Date: Nov 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Pretty much everything!
Cons:
No IS for the price....

My favorite lens! Very fast focus, sharp as a tack and great build. My only wish is that it had IS, other wise 9.8/10!

Nov 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DARKSTI to your Buddy List
EyeBrock

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Nov 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Clarity,sharpness,speed, 2.8L, quality build,the evocotive way it feels, the boost it gives to the AF.
Cons:
I have nothing negative to say. We all know 2.8 is heavier. Stop whining about it or get a crappy plastic lens and crappy picture to boot. This lens with IS would be THE lens but then it would cost $2000...ooh er!

Two weeks ago I got the 24-105 4L IS.
I waxed lyrically about this lens after having it for five days. My local camera store has a 14 day return policy and I found myself tossing and turning at night, second guessing myself about this and the 24-70 2.8L.
Well, I bit the bullet , returned the 24-105 and got a 24-70.

Iíve had it 2 days longer than the 24-105 and I believe this is the lens for me.
True itís a bit heavier but you soon get used to it.
True that you lose some flexibility on the focal length.
True you lose the IS.
But on the plus side, the 2.8 really makes a difference.
The shots I tried with the 24-105 with moving water really failed to satisfy me for sharpness once I got into Photoshop. To get the shots I like I had to put the 24-105 on a tripod, defeating itís real point.
I also noted that inside the house with my 7 month old, it was less than stellar without a flash.
The 24-70 was a different ball game. The sharpness of the images I have taken are just a quantum leap for me.
It also feels like a Ďrealí lens.
Iím ex-military and it just feels like a good bit of kit that will take some punishment but still deliver, a bit like the old 7.62 SLR rifle I used to shoot. (Brits will know what I mean).
The 24-105 is more like the SA-80 rifle. Does the job but fails to deliver the real punch of the SLR/24-70.
I find myself just looking at the lens, admiring it, holding it, and just giving it lustful glances, sad or what?
The 24-105 did not evoke these somewhat strange emotions, so I have a bond with the 24-70 that defies logic.
I feel that this lens and I will become close chums and that my best pictures are yet to come.
This lens is the real thing. My pictures are better than ever and Iím trying artistic and technical shots with my 20D that I never really thought of before.
This lens has inspired me, and itís just worth the money, even though it is a tad steep. I think itís the best $1300 (Canadian) Iíve ever spent.

Canon, I could sell these all day for you. Call me.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EyeBrock to your Buddy List
Aaron Dove

Registered: Nov 5, 2006
Review Date: Nov 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: probably the best walk around lens money can buy
Cons:
heavy, expensive, live in constant fear of it being stolen, hood scares little kids

there isn't much more i can say that hasn't already been said. 2.8 comes in very hand when i need it. awesome walk around lens. if you put the work into your images this lens will floor you with the results.

it will also motivate you to start working out so your neck and shoulders can support the load.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aaron Dove to your Buddy List
Jae Park

Registered: Oct 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Clear, silent, fast
Cons:
HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY

Of course, the price I have put in was the price 3 years ago, so I would have been satisfied with the price today ($500 cheaper!! When did this happen??)

All I can say is that this lens is definately worth your investment. It is fast, accurate, and well-built.

I loved the photos it produced. Crisp and clean (but as always, a bit soft on the open apeture end.)

I have sold the one I got 3 years ago, but plan to buy another one soon.

The only thing about this lens: HEAVY.

And the only thing that kept me using this lens as long as I did was because of the Canon handstrap I bought with it.

Overall, highly recommended lens.

Oct 26, 2006