534 902838 Mar 26, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

l wittgenstein

Registered: Nov 26, 2007
Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: fast AF, build, brightness,
Cons:
Not IS, heavy, Expensive

There is not any perfect lens!
I read a lot of reviews about quality of this lens, and many people discover that it gives a lot of blur and this is true.
You expect to get a very sharp lens with this one and this is true too!
But to obtain sharpness you must use a tripod or very fast speed.
I have many more photos without blur with an 17-85 S, and thats because at 85 mm your shots are with IS. But with an 24-70 you are waiting for get sharpness in every photo, so try shots at low speed, at 2.8, and this lens is very heavy, so you only get blurred images from camera shake (and because at 70 mm 2.8 this lens is worst than EF-S at 85 mm 5.6).
Here is an example of shots make with a 30d with this lens, with 85mm f1.8 and with a EF-S 17-85 IS:

This lens is very good, but you must know what are you buying.

Nov 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add l wittgenstein to your Buddy List
troutmask

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Nov 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The best standard zoom around
Cons:
You can still get second-hand 28-70mm which is so nearly as good that if price is a consideration then go for the 28-70

I have to give this a perfect score, which is 1 more point than the older 28-70. This point is because it is weather sealed as I can't tell any difference in image quality on a 1D mk II, but I am willing to accept that on a 1Ds there may be some difference at the edges.
Every body should have one of these lenses they are the workhorse of photography and there really is nothing to fault about this. The weather sealing is the one important gain over the old lens as an extra 2mm on wide is really not that important to me.

Nov 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add troutmask to your Buddy List
Jason Stein

Registered: Aug 22, 2007
Review Date: Nov 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Produces outstanding images that are sharp and contrasty. The bokeh is excellent.
Cons:

This lens has been nothing short of outstanding. The images, even at F2.8, are very crisp and the colors and contrast are remarkable. The bokeh at F2.8 is very pleasing. While this lens is on the hefty side, I feel it is a fair tradeoff for the quality of pics I get.

Nov 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jason Stein to your Buddy List
udoo

Registered: Dec 16, 2003
Review Date: Nov 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp wide open, solid build, good colors and contrast, fast AF
Cons:
quite big and unwieldy, strange that it zooms out at the widest angle

Nov 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add udoo to your Buddy List
condrup.eu

Registered: Jul 20, 2006
Review Date: Nov 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: L series quality, weathersealed, fast AF, great zoom area, build like a tank and it wont let you down!
Cons:
n/a

An amazing piece of equipment! I had the 17-40mm from Canon on my 1D Mark II N body, but i found myself in need of more in the tele area and not so much wideangle.

So, i decided to sell the 17-40mm and get the 24-70mm instead.. Let me put it this way, i was right about my choice!

This lens is amazing in every way. Yes, it is heavy as many point out, but its not a problem to me, at all.

It's fast, its solid, its weathersealed, its L series quality and the zoom area is great for all-round use.

I use this lens for just about anything, except when i need more zoom i switch to the 70-200. This lens sits on my body for 95% of the time. I mostly shoot portraits, fashion and weddings and its great for all areas. Great studio lens also.

Trust me, if you need a great all-round zoom, this is the right way to get it and you wont regret it!

As for the price, its actually not so bad, considering the value you get in return, so go, go, go Smile

Nov 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add condrup.eu to your Buddy List
Joel Kern

Registered: Nov 14, 2007
Review Date: Nov 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing build quality, stellar optics. While I actually use my EF 70-200 f2.8L more (I apparently like that focal range better), this is the lens that is mounted on my camera at the start of every photo shoot.
Cons:
Yes, it's heavy... but it's a tank :)

I've owned this lens for some time now... recently compared it with a Canon EF 28-70 f2.8L because I was hoping to reduce the appearance of chromatic aberrations in my images without using software all the time. Found that the 24-70 has quite a bit less CA than the 28-70 does, despite some online reviews saying the opposite.
Looks like I'll be using PT Lens from now on. Smile

Sharpness in this lens is incredible... perfectly matched with my Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L (non-IS). Build quality is incredibly good (it's a tank).
First copy I had of this lens started ERR 99-ing on me due to a faulty aperture control motor... which Canon replaced with another faulty aperture control motor (assuming they replaced anything at all the first time).
Second copy has been working great from day one.

Nov 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joel Kern to your Buddy List
leewoolery

Registered: Feb 27, 2005
Review Date: Nov 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp with excellent contrast and color...AF is super quick on 1 Series body. Build-quality is what you expect from L- series lenses.
Cons:
No-IS or internal zooming.

Excellent lens for individual portraits, groups, sideline shots and close-up action for basketball.

Very sharp at f/2.8 but is razor-sharp stopped down to f/4- 5.6.

Nov 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add leewoolery to your Buddy List
Mark Green

Registered: Oct 23, 2006
Location: Bahamas
Review Date: Nov 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, contrast and amazing bokeh
Cons:
Heavy but whaddya expect!!

My wife constantly tells me how great great her point-and-shoot is versus my XT and XTI with the expensive 24-70 lens. Well we've just been through about 1,500 photos from our latest trip and I've finally realised what this lens is all about. It is brilliant. Nearly all mine are keepers while hers lack quality, sharpeness etc. The 24-70's contrast is incredible and the bokeh beautiful. Granted it's heavy but it's to be expected when you see the results and you realise how much glass there is. So incredibly sharp and the colours are vivid. I wondered about whether I'd made the right decision on this until the last month when I reckon I've worked out how to use it. Buy this lens.

Nov 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mark Green to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Nov 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,980.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp @ f2.8, great colours
Cons:
bit heavy

have had this lens now for two years , its a bread and butter lens, very sharp and versatile. love it.

Nov 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
Daan B

Registered: Aug 15, 2007
Review Date: Oct 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, build, fast and accurate AF, versatility
Cons:
Build, high tolerances in AF, not as sharp as (L) primes

It seems these lenses leave the Canon factory with very high tolerances in the AF system. As far as sharpness / focus goes, I tried several copies that all behaved very differently. Some were even totally soft at all apertures. I'll write this review based upon my findings with this lens AFTER a calibration by Canon Service (both lens and body) and when used on a 5D.

On a 5D the 24-70L gives beautiful images. It produces that famous L 3D look with excellent contrast, colors and bokeh (=super smooth). It is definitely not as sharp as my (L) primes, but the excellent contrast helps creating an illusion of sharpness. Over the entire FL the lens is somewhat soft at f/2.8. At f/4 it is getting noticebly better. At f5.6 it reaches it's sweet spot. Sharpness performance on the wide end of this lens is a little bit better than on the tele end. The images take additional sharpening in PP very well. I didn't see a lot of CA or fringes(in high contrast areas). The lens showed a very good performance here. Flare is also well handled.

The 24-70L is made out of good quality materials. The downside: this makes the lens very bulky and heavy (about 1kg). Also, depending on the situation, the lens can be quite conspicuous. IMO the lens is not so well balanced on a 5D (with grip). I guess on a 1D body this is less of an issue. My sample had a bit of a stiff zoomring from 24mm to 35mm, but after little use the zoomring quickly became smooth. I am not very font of the external reverse zooming mechanism. But this makes it possible for the lenshood to be very effective during the entire FL. So in the end there's a slight trade off in design to get the best possible performance. I can live with that.

The AF is fast and accurate. It becomes slower (but remains accurate) when focusing in very poor light. I have had a few occasions though were the lens / body totally missed focus (used one shot with focus confirmation, static subject in good light). But I haven't noticed this behaviour anymore after the calibration. I like the close focusing possibility. I wouldn't call it macro, but the lens is capable of capturing a lot of fine detail. This adds to the versatility of the lens IMO.

I would recommend this lens as a general workhorse. For shooting landscapes, events, people and detail shots it is a very capable lens. I wouldn't recommend it for travelling because of it's size and weight. I also would like to recommend calibration as a standard routine after buying this lens (which is free of charge when under warranty).

Oct 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daan B to your Buddy List
sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Oct 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,039.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Speed, handling, build, bokem, smooth operation, IQ with a good copy, weight and balance on a !-series
Cons:
Price compared to Tamron 28-75

After several tries I finally have a good copy of this lens. I had soft copies before but this one was as sharp and at some aps sharper (2.8) than my Tamron. I had a very good copy of the Tamron. I shoot weddings and special events and really wanted the focus speed of the Canon. The only fault to the Tamron is it can be a little slow to focus. if you can't get this lense get the Tamron save up your money and decide later. If you go for this one and get a good copy off the bat you'll be a happy camper indeed...Finally, I'm happy

Oct 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List

Review Date: Oct 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Oct 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
blue_streak

Registered: Jan 25, 2007
Review Date: Oct 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Gread IQ, build
Cons:
Nothing

With all the bad reviews of this lens out there I was very hesitant to buy it. I took the plunge and my fear of it being bad was somewhat realized. The optics seemed perfect to me, however, there was some type of metal shaving on the inside of the glass.
I sent it back and the dealer sent me another.
The optics were perfect as well. I have used two copies and have found the optics to be stellar. I like this lens and do not care about the reverse zooming, the weight or any other negative thing has been said about it. It performs amazingly, looks good and feels good. I am happy with my purchase and this is a keeper for sure!

Oct 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add blue_streak to your Buddy List
Ilya Terentyev

Registered: Sep 29, 2007
Location: Russia
Review Date: Oct 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colors, Contrast, Bokeh, Sharp, f/2.8, Build, Weight (Yes, I put weight in pros),
Cons:
No internal zooming.

The first thing I want to say, is that the WEIGHT is NOT a problem. Moreover, it's a good thing for me, because it allows me to take sharp images. If you are used to 300D/350D/400D with kit lens, holding it with 2 fingers, so yes - you will have the problem with weight and blurry images. But for me, owning 70-200/4IS, 5D with battery grip 24-70/2.8 was exactly OK.
I think, you already know about great colors, contrast, bokeh etc, so I won't waste your time. These are just great. The thing you have to pay attention to - is to choose from different samples. I've examined 5 copies of this lens in the shop, and they all were different. All different FFBF performance, all different overall sharpness, all different corner sharpness. But they all were great. If I just got the worse one of the best it will still be very nice. But picking best of the best - that's a good idea. Pay attention to all 4 corners. 3 can be very sharp, but 1 can be blurred. Be careful. FF and BF is not a big deal - just calibrate it in the service, but inconsistent sharpness in the edges is VERY hard (if possible) to correct. So, stay away from such samples. I don't miss IS on 24-70, but it comes very handy on my telephoto lens. Instead others complaining about weight/missing IS I can recommend them to improve their holding abilities/shooting pose.

Oct 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ilya Terentyev to your Buddy List
Steve Krupa

Registered: Aug 16, 2007
Review Date: Oct 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great Color, Crisp Clarity
Cons:
None...

This lens is just flat out perfect.... The color, the clarity that comes out of this is sweet. I'm glad that I have this in my collection, I know that this is going to be my workhorse for most of my pictures. The Price is high, but you do get what you pay for, that's for sure. If I had to do it again, I would!

Oct 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steve Krupa to your Buddy List
balje064

Registered: Oct 7, 2007
Review Date: Oct 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: great contrast, color
Cons:
heavy, bit soft at f/2.8

great lens but not as sharp as my Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L USM.

Oct 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add balje064 to your Buddy List

534 902838 Mar 26, 2014