536 907812 Nov 12, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: Nov 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: build quality, fast focus, beautiful lenshood
Cons:
soft at 2.8

This lens has an amazing quality! But beware, it seems like only 10% of all this lenses is sharp at 2.8. I owned 3 of this lensen and al three lenses were very soft at 2.8.
The new 24.70 is far better than this one.

I didn't use this lens a lot in the past. All wideangle pictures from 2013 - 2014 on my page http://facebook.com/totaalfotografie are made with this lens. After 2014 the wideange pictures were made with my new 24-70

Nov 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
Soulphoto2014

Registered: Sep 3, 2014
Review Date: Sep 3, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,120.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: It's an L but should be a kitlens as it's unsharp wide open, if you pay for the premium L and f2.8, Canon should deliver a sharp lens.
Cons:
unsharp wide open, heavy

You buy an f2.8 portraitlens to use at f2.8 but if it's not sharp wide open, why would you spend much money on it ?

The 24-70 2.8LII is the better option, but ridiculous priced again and even no IS. It's not the invention of the century of Canon to ask so much money for a standard f2.8 zoomlens.

It's not that I can't pay it (I have the expensive 70-200 2.8L II etc but this one is sharp wide open and worth the money).

If you really want a f2.8 standardzoom, just buy the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, I had it in past, it's really the best option, way better than the 24-70 2.8L mark I and very close to the 24-70 II at only half the price, now that's faire marketing by Tamron!

I'm more of a prime-guy so I sold the Tamron for the Sigma 35 1.4 Art. One step back and you have 24mm, 2 forward and 70mm. Think that the 24-70 isn't such a big zoomrange.

I like the advantage to be able to go to f1.4, great bokeh, the 35 1.4 is ideal for models with background, it's my walkaround lens and great in lowlight. F2.8 isn't so fast after all if you are used to primes.

Sep 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Soulphoto2014 to your Buddy List
dkyeah

Registered: Dec 10, 2013
Review Date: Mar 26, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Good AF, built like a tank, weather sealed, 2.8
Cons:
Not sharp enough, can't use all cross points of the 5DIII, somewhat loose AF and zoom rings

I love this zoom range but this lens just isn't sharp enough for my taste. It is often soft, especially wide open. When used in studio at f/8 of f/11 it's fine but when shooting wedding where I shoot mostly at f/2.8, f/3.2 or f/4.0 it just doesn't cut it.
I prefer my 16-35mm 2.8 II for the wider focal range and either use the 85mm 1.2 or the 70-200 IS 2.8 for the longer zoom range.
I look forward to trying the 24-70 2.8 II. I've heard only good things about it unlike this version. The 24-70 2.8 almost makes me want to switch to primes only.

You can find sample images of a wedding I mostly shot with the 24-70mm 2.8 and a little bit with the 70-200 2.8 IS : http://quentindecaillet.com/blog/3311-photo-mariage-noelie-cyrille-sion-valais.html

Mar 26, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkyeah to your Buddy List
fozzybear69

Registered: Aug 21, 2008
Review Date: Nov 30, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2.8. L glass, sharp, contrast, colour, great build, weather sealed, USM, fast focusing.
Cons:
expensive.

This lens holds it's value I made the mistake by selling it but I bought it back. I miss this lens. Still around $1100-$1200 used with the new 24-70 L mark 2 on the market.

Nov 30, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fozzybear69 to your Buddy List
grizzlywon

Registered: Apr 14, 2010
Review Date: Oct 4, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very useful zoom range and fast glass.
Cons:
Weighs a ton. Seems to be more fragile than my other L lens.

Oct 4, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add grizzlywon to your Buddy List
oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Jun 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice colours, consistent output, useful focal length, versatility, strong build quality, good picture quality in close distances as well, constant f2.8, Full frame
Cons:
zoom ring opposite from long end to wide end, not constant physical length, price too high, little big and heavy

This lens has a very nice, consistent picture quality with a very useful focal length. On Aps-C the focal length is good for portraits as well (not so good for landscapes). The lens optical qualities are not up to the price I think.

See my review with samples at below link:

Jun 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
scott_scheetz

Registered: Oct 31, 2012
Review Date: Mar 22, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Fast and quiet AF, Great Build Quality, Very good Bokeh, Weather-Sealed
Cons:
AF sometimes hunts on my 5D, even in daylight.

This lens is sharp, and has some beautiful bokeh. I shoot with a 5D, and it is wonderful on a full frame camera. It has now replaced the 28mm f/1.8 as my walk-around lens.

The build quality is incredible. It really is built like a tank, and the reverse zoom design is genius. My only complaint is that it occasionally hunts a little bit before actually locking on to the subject. I'm using the center point on the 5D, and it can happen under any lighting condition. Maybe I got a bad copy. Most of the time though, the AF is quick, accurate, and very quiet, with no hesitation. It doesn't seem to track as well as the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS either, but it isn't terrible. Just not as good.

Here are some sample images:
(5D, wide open):

Mar 22, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add scott_scheetz to your Buddy List
Pierre_B

Registered: May 21, 2010
Review Date: Mar 19, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build, sharpness, perfect zoom focal length
Cons:
weight

As a music photographer working in arenas and such, this is my workhorse lens. If I could chose only one lens to live with, this would be it. The focal length is perfect to get some full body shots, and yet long enough for some nice head shots.

On a bigger stage, I'm not able to get a close up of the drummer, thats why I also have the 70-200 on a second camera.

The lens is amazingly sharp and has a very fast focus speed, which is essential for the photography I do - always in the dark.

The new version is sharper, but not sure it is worth it for the price. I'm still keeping this tried and true favorite for a while.

In fact, while my second body was being fixed up, I shot for about 2 weeks with only one camera and one lens, and this was the lens.

Here is a link to a bunch of show images all done with the 24-70 in a show this past March 2013

Mar 19, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pierre_B to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Mar 17, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, build quality, great overall image quality, color
Cons:

I used to have the older version of this lens. It is called Canon EF 28-70mm F2.8. Both the older version and this one are amazing. I use it every weekend for professional photography. You need this one and the 70-200mm 2.8 or 4.0 and you are covered. You may need to add the 17-40 if you want to shoot wide and you are set!

Be careful when you buy a used one because my friend photographer ended up with a "soft" copy. Buy it new and send it back if colors and sharpness is not top. You will be happy for ever if you get a good copy of it.

Anyway! It is an amazing and very versatile lens. You won't regret of buying it. I use it for all types of photography scenarios. You can find photo samples here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Haring-Photography/154205936576

Mar 17, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
kezeka

Registered: Feb 18, 2010
Review Date: Jan 26, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good contrast, OK sharpness, good coloration, fast AF, built like a tank.
Cons:
Hood is massive, not-small amounts of CA/fringing wide open, distortion wide open at both ends of the zoom spectrum.

While I used this lens with a 1.6x crop factor camera for a while, the 24mm end really shines on a full frame sensor. In fact, this lens lives to be used on a full frame body. There is a fun bit of distortion to play with at 24mm but you really have to be careful with it when taking photos of buildings.

For the most part, this lens is for photojournalists who need the zoom range to quickly adjust the crop factor on a dime. It gets the job done every time and wont miss a focus point (the hit rate is astonishingly good).

The reason I sold it was that it never really produced superb images in my hands. Sure, it ALWAYS captured the moment and did it in focus with good color and decent sharpness but the photos never had that magical/3D/whatever feel that a great photo has. I'll be damned if there isn't a better all around "get the job done and do it well" lens though... except for the 24-70 f/2.8 mkII.

I know some people have complained about the weight of this lens but it never bothered me in the few years I owned it and walked carried it around for 8 hour days. For reference, my 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS never bothered me either during 3 hour football games.

Some sample photos:

Jan 26, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kezeka to your Buddy List
coffeyboy

Registered: Feb 12, 2010
Review Date: Nov 8, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb build, reliability, fast and accurate focus, sharp with good technique, reverse zoom, Bokeh near MFD
Cons:
A tad heavy

I bought this lens second hand in 2006 and used it on a 5D and 5DII for everything from landscapes to weddings.

It is my most used lens and images are vivid with excellent contrast when stopped down a stop or two.

Build quality is solid and the zoom ring, focus ring and barrel extension are as smooth as when I bought it.

Focus is quick and accurate with the center points on the 5 series though I wish it were parfocal.

Sharp corner to corner landscapes can be achieved if used with proper technique. I've found that focusing a third into a frame as recommended often results in softish corners with this lens even at f11-f16. My workaround is to focus at slightly short of infinity (at the start of the infinity line) while letting the aperture take care of close details. Found this to be the same for the Nikkor 14-24 I also own and is probably a result of the field curvature of both lenses.

Overall I'm very pleased with this lens though may consider adding the new 24-70mm f/4 for travel and landscapes.

Nov 8, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add coffeyboy to your Buddy List
Gunzorro

Registered: Aug 27, 2010
Review Date: Sep 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great coverage of the most-used focal lengths for activities. Fast aperture. Very sharp.
Cons:
Bulky and heavy.

My most-used lens for all sorts of events and activities. Not the greatest as a travel lens due to its size and weight, but performance is impressive, and unparalleled for quite a long time.

Still a contender for great shots, I don't feel any need to trade up to the new version II just yet.

Mine has impressive IQ over the whole length, and acts almost like a macro at 70mm with its close focusing.

Sep 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gunzorro to your Buddy List
Unlimited85

Registered: Jul 24, 2012
Review Date: Jul 24, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb construction, effective hood in all focal lengts, sharp stoped down, circular bokeh even closing, close focus
Cons:
Heavy for carry and work with it all day, some examples might be bad lenses

This is may be one of the best zoom lenses for FF. The only alternative (at least in the line of Canon's brand) is the 24-105 F4 IS. this one might be a little better with his stabilizer, zoom range, but it doesn't give the same sharpnes of this wonderful lens. 24-105 also have a heavy vignetting, but still being a good one.

24-70 have one of the best build quality I ever seen, a lens for a "war" Smile But it have some flaws, isn't perfect lens (i think that dont exist the perfect one) One of them may be the field curvature at 24mm, even at F8-10 it give some signals. Also its a lens that not all the examples have the same sharp/optical quality.

I think my lens isn't the best example but im really happy with them despite I still using APS-c (sometimes I work with a given 5D) and it gives great results in both formats, beeing best in FF, for angular vision and sharpness, of course Smile

Jul 24, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Unlimited85 to your Buddy List
amesbah

Registered: Mar 19, 2008
Review Date: Jun 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent optical performance, solid and precise mechanically.
Cons:
Its heavy

I've owned two of these 24-70s in the past five years and of all lenses I've had its the one I can find least to complain about. Its arguably the most versatile lens available and performs consistently well. Neither copies exibited any exceptional optical flaws.

With the high pricing of the mkII version this is a lens I do not wish to part with!

Its weight is the only downside but on a FF its definitely recommended.

Jun 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add amesbah to your Buddy List
JackyFong

Registered: Apr 27, 2006
Review Date: May 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Typically coverage from wide to medium zoom; f2.8 constant; build and weather sealed; nice colors and lens quality.
Cons:
Reserving zoom - Lens barrel out when at 24mm and in at 70mm, a bit odd for me, needs time to get used to it.

When rumours of the mk 2 version surfaced, we had foreseen that many users would be selling away the mk 1 version and it came true. We were overjoyed when someone posted a mint copy for S$1400/- on our local buy and sell forum.

This is a time where we are upgrading the video setup to a Panasonic AF102 and this 24-70mm mk 1 of ours comes just in time. This lens is also able to be mounted to our Canon setup of 1Dmk3 and 7D as well.

We do not know why Canon wants to update a quality lens without an IS. But the odd decision is our gain. It has been sometimes that we own a f2.8 zoom, the last was the 16-35mm f2.8 mk1 many years ago. The large aperture is essential for our wedding business although we own the 24-105mm f 4 IS as well.

Image quality from L glass never fail us although there are a few bad L out in Canon lineup.

May 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackyFong to your Buddy List
ivofreriks

Registered: Feb 27, 2012
Review Date: Apr 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: High resolution Large, constant aperture Well built Extra sealed against dust and moisture
Cons:
Heavy and a high price No image stabilization Visible vignetting Visible distortion at 24 mm and 70 mm Lower resolution at 24 mm, aperture 2.8 to 5.6

The Canon 24-70 mm is built like a tank: large and heavy. In combination with the Canon 5D MK2 the Canon 24-70 mm yields a very high resolution. It's weaknesses are vignetting, distortion at 24 mm and 70 mm and chromatic aberration at 24 mm. They all can be corrected with software afterwards. Many amateur photographers probably will prefer the cheaper, lighter and more compact Canon 24-105 mm, which also offers a larger zoom range and built in image stabilization.

See full review @ Full frame: