Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM

52 176560 Apr 22, 2014
ef_180_35_1_

Another telephoto macro lens with a maximum magnification of 1x. Life-size close-ups can be taken from a farther distance without disturbing the subject (insects, etc.). The internal floating system minimizes fluctuations in aberrations caused by changes in the focusing distance. Optical performance is outstanding from 1x to infinity.

Diagonal Angle of View: 13 30'
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.48m / 1.6 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.2" x 7.3", 2.4 lbs. / 82.5 x 186.6mm, 1090g

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4

danks

Registered: Apr 5, 2002
Review Date: Aug 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Working distance and high quality of images. Removable mounting foot for hand holding, but . . .
Cons:
I sure wish it was an IS lens! Slow to focus too.

This was my second Canon lens. I was surprised and disappointed at how slow the auto focus was on it compared to my EF300/2.8L IS. Sure, I know "real" macro photographers always focus manually anyhow. Still I was disappointed.

I have no regrets about the lens however. For some unusual fun, I mounted the EF1.4X teleconverter and two extension tubes on it and photographed a cranefly at high magnification. The result is at
http://danks.netfirms.com/cranefly.htm The detail in the insect's eye is amazing. I thought you needed a microscope to do that!

My only other macro lens was a 55mm focal length. This one allows you to achieve the same image scale without crowding the subject so much.

Aug 2, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add danks to your Buddy List
Schemeloong

Registered: Apr 29, 2003
Review Date: May 14, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great optics, probably the best from Canon in my opinion. Not just tack sharp, the thing that I like the most about the performance is the "bokeh" of the pics. The out of focus area is so buttery smooth that I thought I shot the pictures with the Minolta STF 135 2.8(T4.5) which the out of focus rendition is unique.
Cons:
Expensive but worthwhile. Size a bit large and without the allweather seals, need a bit of MF help when AF from closest to around the infinity position

I've used most telephoto lenses in the Canon L stable and almost missed out on this one. The optics of this lens can challenge the best offerings from Contax and Leica, best bokeh performance that I've seen from a Canon lens. AF not as slow as some would say, fast enough for portraiture and most needs, but at over USD1200, quite pricey and quite a big lens to pack. Not just a macro but also a great telephoto lens.

May 14, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Schemeloong to your Buddy List
MichaelS

Registered: Sep 7, 2002
Location: Russia
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness & contrast
Cons:
Impossible use polarization filter with Macro Ring Lite MR - 14 EX

No compartion with other macro lens (include 100 macro). Very sharp.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MichaelS to your Buddy List
Pondria

Registered: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 11900
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,190.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality, working distance
Cons:
Minimum f is 32 ( want 64 )

I like Macro photography. So, this had been one of my dream lens. Since I got it, I very rarely unmount this lens. You can get 1:1 with other macro lens with shorter focal length. But very often I appreciate the narrower viewing angle to help me to select the background easily. Longer working distance is another advantage. The tripod collar is nice, especially because I can share it with 70-200/2.8. BTW, you cannot hand-hold this with available lights in Macro situation. You need very good support - tripod, ball head. I have Kirk BH-3. And it slips in certain range of angles.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pondria to your Buddy List

Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM