Sony Alpha a7R Mirrorless Digital Camera

8.8
Screen_Shot_2013-11-13_at_3_58_01_PM_copy

36.4MP Full Frame Exmor CMOS Sensor
No Optical Low-Pass Filter
ISO 100-25600 (with 50 ISO extension)
1200-zone evaluative metering
Speed Priority Continuous shooting: 4fps (α7R)
1/8000 to 30s shutter
Flash Sync Speed: 1/160
Direct Compatibility with E-mount Lenses
Weather sealed
Built-In Wi-Fi and NFC
Dimensions (WxHxD): 5.0 x 3.7 x 1.9"
Weight (main unit only) 407g

Vonsdca

Registered: Apr 29, 2014
Review Date: Jun 26, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: The camera is the right size and density. The viewfinder is excellent. The image quality is excellent.
Cons:
Slow in operation. Not as good as the RX1r in image quality.

Jun 26, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vonsdca to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia
Review Date: Apr 2, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing resolution and sharpness with Zeiss and Leica lenses. Easily challenging Hassy H4D-40. Pump-Up Camera software is just a cherry on cake. New FirmWare ver.1.0.2 huge improvement.
Cons:
Nada / Nothing / Zip.

I was always working with finest photo cameras and when this cam A7R show up I was watching. When Firmware update show up I did make my purchase. No regret what so ever. As matter of fact this cam is my tool pushing Hassy H4D on side.
Using fine glass I am on and on in wonder when looking results from this small pump-up little thing called ILCE A7R.

Apr 2, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
Fred Miranda
Admin

Registered: Dec 30, 2001
Review Date: Mar 9, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: 36MP Exmor sensor | Superb EVF | E-mount compatibility with an array of | Sony and other adapted lenses | Compact size and Lightweight | Manual mode with auto-ISO and exposure compensation Weather sealed High quality RAW files with amazing dynamic range
Cons:
Noticeable Shutter Vibration above 100mm focal length in the 1/30s - 1/125s shutter speed range | RAW lossy compression | Slow wake-up time | Low battery life capacity | Unable to toggle the LCD On/Off with a custom button. You can assign a custom function to turn off the LCD but it only blacks out the screen without actually turning it off.

Sony’s full frame A7R catches the eye of Canon shooters with its adaptable mount. This compact, mirrorless body packs in a 36MP Exmor sensor and delivers impressive IQ and dynamic range.

I took it for a spin in Death Valley and Mono Lake and the results may surprise you.

Read my review:

Mar 9, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Miranda to your Buddy List
bohdanp

Registered: Feb 23, 2013
Review Date: Jan 3, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, Small, Leica capable, Zeiss Lenses, Size, Cost,
Cons:
Interface, Wide Angle issues with some lenses

I bought this camera to have a digital aspect to my M lenses. Having owned an M-8 and not wanting to throw out the money for an M (typ 240), I was really looking forward to this camera and its possibilities.

From a user aspect, the interface can sometimes be a little daunting. It's not bad, just not really what I am used to. I like the camera system as a whole. I won't just the camera solely on the camera itself.

Being a new system, I think Sony would do well to get those other lense out quickly. I also think that Sony would do well to keep up the relationship with Zeiss optics. I have the 35mm ZA lens and will definitely buy the 55mm ZA. Not only do I think the 35mm Zeiss works great with the a7r, but so do the Leica lenses through the adapter.

I consider myself split in the middle between a technical and artistic photographer. While I can appreciate the technology, I am the one with the vision. This camera allows me a great tool to create photos. With the Zeiss 35mm, I don't need to do much at all in LR in order to get a phenomenal photo. I love that fact...more shooting less tinkering. I am definitely looking forward to trying out the Nik BW set to produce some BW prints.

Great system, I just think that they need to address any issues caused by the wide angle lens. I did shoot my 28mm Elmarit-M (pre-ASPH) and really loved the results. But I could definitely see what people would have a problem with. I however, loved the personality of what resulted. No doubt, any of the problems will be addressed in the future.

Jan 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bohdanp to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Dec 1, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Wonderful look&feel, image quality
Cons:
Native lenses that are neither small or fast. Somewhat limited pro features.

Wonderful little camera, but is it good enough for my type of work?

I have made some mini reviews on my blogg, for example: http://www.fotograf-stockholm.nu/after-using-the-sony-a7r-for-a-few-days-with-manual-lenses-user-interface-ideas-for-next-firmware-release/

Dec 1, 2013