Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

208 482475 Jul 6, 2014
ef_100_28_1_

Autofocus lens for macro photography up to life-size (1x) magnification. Inner focusing affords a long working distance of 5.9in. (149mm) at 1x. A 3-group floating system results in excellent delineation at all focusing distances. Ring USM for silent and high-speed AF, and full-time manual focusing also provided. The optional Tripod Mount Ring (B) B (with adapter) enables the lens to be rotated for vertical or horizontal framing.

whatcheer

Registered: May 12, 2006
Review Date: Jun 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, versatile, small.
Cons:

If I had to take only one lens into the field, this would be a contender. It's a delight to use and opens up your creativity.

Jun 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add whatcheer to your Buddy List
sskoutas

Registered: Feb 15, 2006
Review Date: Jun 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great color, macro and portrait functionality
Cons:
haven't noticed any yet (mine's pretty quiet)

This is an easy review to write. It's well priced and produces wonderful images. What more is there to say?

My sharpest lens to date. I'm really enjoying this one so far.

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sskoutas to your Buddy List
juberisk2

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: high contrast, great color, crazy sharp
Cons:
occasional AF hunting (more so in macro mode)

My first macro lens, so it took me a while to get decent shots. when i finally figured it out (~4 months), i realized the potential of this fantastic lens (another way of saying my bad shots with this lens were all my fault). It's definitely "L" sharp as others have mentioned. I also like that the 2.8 is actually usable (very good sharpness and contrast), which is particularly good to know for portrait use. as i recall from my own testing, my 85/1.8 was only the slightest bit sharper stopped down to 2.8 v. this lens wide open at 2.8....not bad. The filter size is 58mm, consistent with other non-L primes, like the 50/1.4 and 85/1.8, so filter sharing is possible. the hood, which i believe i purchased separately, is fairly significant in size, and while i only use hoods about 1/2 of the time that i shoot, i use it 100% of the time with this lens, as the front element really protrudes - a risky proposition when one is getting so close to a subject. overall, the lens has a nice feel, and i consider it a very good value. highly recommended.

Jun 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juberisk2 to your Buddy List
rtrigg

Registered: Dec 16, 2005
Review Date: May 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Inexpensive, very sharp, fast silent focus, very usable for portraits also.
Cons:
Not much, it would be nice if it were smaller and went to f2.0 (yeah, contradicting desires).

This is a great value and a great lens. It's extremely sharp, focuses very fast, and doubles as a very good portrait lens (with excellent bokeh). A much better choice than the Canon 50mm macro (I haven't tried the competing brands). There's no way to go wrong buying this lens, just get it.

The 65mm MPE is even better (for macro), but that lens is very hard to use and can only be used for macro work (doesn't focus beyond about 5 inches).

The build quality is very good, but not up to the standard of the Canon L lenses. Should be among the first 5 lenses you buy.

Roger

May 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rtrigg to your Buddy List
Burger_BMX

Registered: Oct 12, 2003
Location: Argentina
Review Date: May 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp! Even at 2.8; Focusing ring is excelente, mostly because of the size; Great for portraits and macro work; Colors provided are awesome!; Almost no CA wide opened as compared to the 100mm f2.
Cons:
No hood included; AF tends to hunt a lot in low light situations

The lens is amazing, I think the best lens I own at the moment. I use it all the time for all purposes: Macro, Still life, portraits, sports... Works great in all.

The fact that the hood is not included never bothered me much, I never got flare in normal situations as I did get with the 100mm f2 USM I owned before this one, I constantly had that problem.

Its incredibly sharp, it always amazes me when shooting, specially macro and portraits.

When shooting BMX with the 100mm f2, it bothered me the amount of CA (Chromatic aberration) I was getting, which is not a problem at all in this lens, even wide opened.

Here are some samples with this lens:

May 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Burger_BMX to your Buddy List
stuffnstuff

Registered: Jul 7, 2005
Review Date: May 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Vibrant colors, long focal length, close minimum focusing distance, f/stop, autofocus override, and outstanding bokeh.
Cons:
Subject to motion blur more than what seems normal.

I love this lens for the colors and bokeh. I am a big macro fan, so being able to make a 10 inch print of a single grain of rice at full photo quality is just amazing. I find myself more subject to available-light issues than with other lenses and am always battling motion blur. Crazy as it sounds, I wish they released a stabilized version even though it is only 100mm. I was considering the competition because of price, but I was able to snag this for less than the competition anyways, and it is a far better lens. Again, bokeh, colors.

May 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stuffnstuff to your Buddy List
HomeBrew

Registered: Mar 23, 2006
Review Date: Mar 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Awesome sharp images fresh out of the camera. This thing really shines with the canon ring flash. Great for insects, flowers and any macro work. It works pretty good as a portrait lens too.
Cons:
Horrible AF speed. Hunts like crazy in low light. No lens hood.
Mar 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add HomeBrew to your Buddy List
warmtone

Registered: Apr 21, 2003
Review Date: Mar 19, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Vey Sharp, Good manual focus, generally high build quality
Cons:
Surprisingly loud autofocus

Performs extremely well optically but the autofocus is a bit rough and surprisingly noisy when focussing. I thought ring USM was suppposed to be "near sient"

In my opinion no better than the some of my cheaper Canon lenses. Definitely not in the superquiet "L" autofocus class.

Overall a great lens let down by noisy autofocus

Mar 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add warmtone to your Buddy List
warmtone

Registered: Apr 21, 2003
Review Date: Mar 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: No issue with the established excellent optical performance of this near legendry lens. seems to work extemely well on both Canon digital and film bodies (20D/1V).
Cons:
Slightly disappointed with the USM which is not like the truly silent autofocus mechanism of the L lens

Probably the best canon lens I currently own but found the autofocus a bit "rough" sounding. Abit like the cheaper EF lenses even though this fairly expensive bottle comes with the USM logo.

I am puzzled that no one else has picked this up??

Build quality is generally high with no real complaints and optical performance truly exceptional - even wide open.

Overall highly recommended

Mar 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add warmtone to your Buddy List
Aberdeen Photo

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great image quality and fun with macro.
Cons:
Is it possible to be too sharp?

Funn little lens, great color, nice BG and FG blur for portraits, but could there be a lens that is too sharp. When I use for portraits am spending too much time in PS softening the face. Excellent color saturation and just a fun little lens to play with in both macro and portraits. Have used on my 20D with 1.4 tele for an effective 2 and a quarter ( actually 224mm) with solid to outstanding results. This one is fun to have in your bag.

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aberdeen Photo to your Buddy List
ollram

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Location: Estonia
Review Date: Feb 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: cheap, sharp, Canon
Cons:

VG lens for its price, mostly i use for macro photography

Feb 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ollram to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Feb 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent punchy images, good contrast, versatile and superbly sharp.
Cons:
Lens hood is extra but well worth getting.

Yes, I can confirm after extensive real world use on my 5D, this is an excellent lens. It is super sharp and produces punchy and well saturated detailed images.

I could write loads but there's no point, it's just a great lens and although it's not cheap it's well worth getting.

Feb 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
Rigardt

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: Feb 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Reasonable build, sharp across the board, very little flare
Cons:
Autofocus

I believe that I have a pretty weird copy of this lense. As a portrait and medium telephoto lense this one is razor sharp. Macro sharpness is acceptable. I also use the Sigma 150 and the Canon is not quite at the same level here as the Sigma in the macro department. Having said that, it does not imply that the Canon is bad.

It's medium telephoto capability and portrait results is stunning. It realy is the wrong way around and I wanted to return it, but it fits in very nicely in my kit setup so decided to keep this wrong-way-around macro.

Auto focus at distances less than 1m is not good and it hunts more often than not. Also in low contrast situations. Can be frustrating, but not the end of the world picking it up manualy. end result is what counts and I have no intended action work for it, so that does not matter to much. One thing that I find pleasantly surprising is how little flare I have picked up with the lense. In testing and fooling around with it I have battled to get it to flare. Same conditions as some of my other lenses would have readily flared without intent.

In short, I have and awesome portrait lense with so-so macro capability. I have rated it well as the macro side is not bad, just thought it would be better. I like my wrong way around copy and turns out to be pretty handy!

Feb 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rigardt to your Buddy List
bbudman

Registered: Dec 22, 2005
Review Date: Jan 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Beautiful Images, Solid and Well Built
Cons:
Lens Hood and Case Are Options

This is my new favorite lens without question! Images taken with this lens amaze me. The pictures are sharp with beautiful color and contrast. Built quality is good, maybe not "L" standards, but good none the less. Picture quality is on par with both of my "L" lenses! The autofocus is fast and very accurate but as others have said it does hunt a bit in lower light.

My only complaints with this lens is the fact that a lens hood is an option! At $600 retail Canon should include a lens hood and a soft case! Also thank god a tripod ring is not necessary because that would set you back another $135 which is insane!

Overall, I love this lens! I only wish Canon would include a hood and case instead of selling them as options.

Jan 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bbudman to your Buddy List
f_o_t_o

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Jan 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $470.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: macro sharpness
Cons:
portriate sharpness

After reading all the reviews claiming it's sharpness, I didn't investigate much further--I just bought it. After taking 300 or so shots and comparing with my 20-135 (yea you read right), the sharpness of the prime was less than the zoom. My comparison were by taking shots under exact conditions and camera settings, and cropping to see captured details. In all cases, the prime was not as sharp--I bought a second one thinking I had a bad apple--the second one was the same. I'm taking basic shots around the house--no studio grade or advanced setups.

Based on my tests, I don't consider this a portrait-grade lens, but the macro capabilities are a different story. Perhaps that's the clarity people are referring to. I would have to say I'm quite impressed with the sharpness and level of detail the lens captures. Rusty nails, rain drops on leaves, I even saw the reflection of my tripod in the back of a shiny bug.

Knowing what I know now, i would defiantly buy this lens again, but to set some expectations, I don't see the sharpness in portrait shots. But in combination with macro results (like what the lens is designed for) and a very well built lens, might be why people consider this near L-grade glass.

Jan 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add f_o_t_o to your Buddy List
MocMoc

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: Jan 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $520.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Very sharp at Macro distances. The ultimate lens for this kind of work.
Cons:
No hood, sharpness when used for portraits

I use this lens for about six months now for macro and product shooting. Working distances < 1 meter. Results are stunning and i'm more than satisfied.
On the other hand, a 100mm with a very small DOF, fixed focal length and the quality glass sould be perfect for portrait shooting as well.
However, till today i'm not able to get the sharpness i would like to see in my portraits (I always want the eyes razorsharp). Tried every setup, studio flash, hotlights, 550EX flash, daylight and almost all possible combinations on AV and TV settings. I still haven't figured it out yet, but i'll keep trying and won't give up...
Bottom line is, bought this lens for macros and this lens perfect for it.

Jan 29, 2006