Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

206 477513 Apr 16, 2013
ef_100_28_1_

Autofocus lens for macro photography up to life-size (1x) magnification. Inner focusing affords a long working distance of 5.9in. (149mm) at 1x. A 3-group floating system results in excellent delineation at all focusing distances. Ring USM for silent and high-speed AF, and full-time manual focusing also provided. The optional Tripod Mount Ring (B) B (with adapter) enables the lens to be rotated for vertical or horizontal framing.

Dr Jimson

Registered: Mar 3, 2008
Review Date: Mar 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, good build, good value, easy to use.
Cons:

I have found the image quality of this lens to be almost L standard. It is certainly better than a couple of my L zooms.
It hasn't quite got the contrast and colour of the 180L but you have to look hard to see the difference and the increased depth of field sometimes makes up for this. The 100mm certainly is much better value and is easier to use hand held.

Mar 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dr Jimson to your Buddy List
ch4rli3

Registered: Feb 17, 2008
Review Date: Feb 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, solid and affordable.
Cons:
none so far.

very fun to use and great value for someone starting with macro photography.

Feb 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ch4rli3 to your Buddy List
performant

Review Date: Feb 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1:1 magnification, build quality, bang for the buck
Cons:
can hunt a little

A truly excellent lens.
The build quality is exceptional.
I use it primary for macro work, but it's also good for portraiture.

The focus ring is very broad and feels nice.

For macro a no-brainer

Feb 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add performant to your Buddy List
MGSteve

Registered: Feb 17, 2008
Review Date: Feb 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Solidly built, 1:1 magnification, superb bokeh
Cons:
No IS, can hunt a bit depending on subject & lighting.

This is my first review on FM, hopefully first of many Smile

I bought this lens off eBay, shipped in from Hong Kong, was a little nervous of doing so, but given the price it was worth a punt.

And thank god I did. My previous macro, a Sigma 18-50mm EX DC Macro lens was pretty good - nice wide range as well as a decent zoom, but it pales into insignificance next to this lens. Where as the sigma is pretty soft, especially at the 50mm end, this lens is pin sharp - any blur I found was either down to me or the fact the autofocus hadn't quite locked.

There are some sample photos (available at 100%) in the link below, a couple of my cat on the fence are truly superb, only one of them was slightly tweaked in PS to correct a slight over exposure.

The only downsides really with this lens are the fact is hasn't got IS (but then if it had, it would have been quite a bit more expensive as I'm sure it would ended up being an L series as well) and the fact the focusing can hunt a bit. I used it on a 350D, 30D and 40D and it does it on all of them. Mainly when you're up close to something so it fills the frame, but this is really a factor with all macro lenses, so not really a fault of this lense, per se. That said, it definitely does tend to hunt a bit more than my other lenses in low light. is it a problem - no, not really I just use the full time Manual focus ring and give it a helping start.

If you're after a decent 100mm prime, macro or not, this has to be worth a look. The image quality - to me, the most important thing of any lens I buy is absolutely top draw.

Link: http://mgsteve.smugmug.com
Link to cat picture mentioned above - http://mgsteve.smugmug.com/gallery/4353064_MjPfN#255471942

Feb 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MGSteve to your Buddy List
sven rose

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Feb 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: overall IQ (sharpness, colours, contrast)
Cons:
No IS

This lens for macro is a great step forward in IQ and handling in comparison to extension tubes and magnification lenses (or combination of both) on lenses like the 17-55 f/2.8 IS or (better) 70-200 f/4 IS, despite the lacking of IS.

The IQ seems to me little better then the 17-55 f/2.8 IS and quite as good as the 70-200 f/4 IS.

some pictures taken with this lens:

Feb 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sven rose to your Buddy List
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: Jan 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $440.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super Sharp... on a tripod
Cons:
High Learning curve...

This is more of a commentary on Macro photography in general. If you are new, be prepared for a relatively steep learning curve. This NOT like landscape, wildlife, etc... it is not easy. That being said, if you still want to try Macro, there is no other lens better than this one for the price, bar-none!

Jan 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List
hatch1921

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Jan 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $460.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp!!! Solid build...easy to handle. Best in the focal range in my opinion. Did I mention it is SHARP!
Cons:

I've owned this lens for about 3 years now and it has been heavly used. I'm a macro nut!

The lens is VERY sharp and shows every little detail. The focal length on a crop camera works very well for macro work. I've shot this lens on the 20D and the 5D. Very pleased with the results on both cameras.

AF works well even when shooting macro. I shoot the majority of my macro manual focus....but..have used the AF at times.
Setting your camera to AI Servo... you can hear the AF working hard to keep your macro subject in focus.

It can double as a portrait lens...although...expect to spend some time in Photoshop softening skin and cleaning up blemishes. This lens truly shows every detail...good and bad.

All macro lenses take a little longer to focus... really only when you are in a situation where you were shooting something up close and then change to a distance shot. There is a lot of glass in this lens and it take a second to travel.

I wouldn't trade this gem in for another 100mm or lower focal length macro lens. It is a solid performer with amazing optics.

Here are some galleries to images shot with the lens.

I have a few shots in there using the MP-E65 as well... but..99% were shot with the 100mm macro.

Well worth the money IMO.

Hatch

Jan 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hatch1921 to your Buddy List
albertino

Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Review Date: Dec 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: leggero, nitido, economico, contrastato, ottimio sfocato
Cons:
nessuno

decisamente un obiettivo da tenere nella propria borsa.
Definisce come una lama

Dec 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertino to your Buddy List
THarley

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Review Date: Nov 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, bokeh, build quality
Cons:
No IS

I was having difficulties deciding which macro lens to buy - they are all very good. Finally i decided for the Canon because of the fast AF which makes it a good action/portrait lens on top of its macro abbilities.

AF is highly usable for macro work as well.

Nov 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add THarley to your Buddy List
Jia Wang

Registered: Apr 2, 2005
Review Date: Nov 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: - Very sharp images - light enough to shoot macro work handheld - bokeh is creamy and smooth
Cons:
- may not be very representative, but I tend to feel that the focusing is slower on my 20D as compared to the 40D which I tried on in the shop. - some hunting when i shot in the 0.3 - infinity mode

I used to own the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens a few years back but sold it due to little usage. But decided to venture into some macro photography lately and went to get this 100mm.

I would tend to compare this to the Tamron 90mm as I suppose it's the closest comparison there is in the market and since Tamron 90mm is also a respectable performer in this range and purpose.

The 100mm is definitely faster in focusing than the Tamron 90mm on the Canon body. Hunting during focusing is also significantly lesser on the 100mm.

Sharpness wise, the Tamron 90mm seems just a wee bit sharper, but I think not to the point where the 100mm becomes inadequate in any sense. It better I suppose since the 100mm can also be used as a fast portrait lens, and with protraits, I tend to prefer not so razor sharp images.

I did a test shoot with this 100mm on some flowers and insects. Results were quite good, I must say, considering I'm just starting out in macro photography. The images can all be seen at
<a href="http://www.pbase.com/jiawang/botanical_garden_macro" target="_blank">http://www.pbase.com/jiawang/botanical_garden_macro</a><br />

Overall, this lens is a value for its every cent lens. Strongly recommended.

Nov 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jia Wang to your Buddy List
Hitendra

Registered: Feb 15, 2007
Location: India
Review Date: Oct 23, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Excellent image quality, superb balance, well built.
Oct 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hitendra to your Buddy List
briandaly

Registered: Feb 23, 2007
Review Date: Sep 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Fast and accurate auto-focus when set on 0.48m - infinity (on 30D) Smooth bokeh Resistant to flare No CA, even in extreme contrast situations
Cons:
Auto-focus can hunt a little when set on 0.31m - infinity. Sometimes requires manual help, but not a serious drawback for macro work.

Sep 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add briandaly to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Sep 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $415.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Internal Focus, quite and fast USM Auto Focus. I find myself using MF on 1:1 shots and AF on all others. Very, Very Sharp! Beautiful buttery bokeh!
Cons:
Doesn't come with a lens hood, so I bought the Cannon hood for $50...waste of money as I don't use it.

I love this lens. All of the photos taken on my site were taken with this lens: http://www.motleypixel.com

Sep 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
Tim Dollear

Registered: Sep 11, 2007
Review Date: Sep 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, telephoto means you can be back a bit from your subject, useful as normal prime (esp at 2.8 for indoor/no flash)
Cons:
expect to use manual focus often.

I am pretty new to photography (SLR photography anyway) and this was the first non-kit lens purchase where I had to shell out any real $$..

I really wanted this to be a portrait lens and maybe get into macro photography. I had been using the 28-135 kit lens for portrait stuff, which was OK but not very sharp and really required flash for anything indoors.

As a portrait lens this lens is quite sharp, with the caveat that the focus is very touchy, so it's easy to get a less than tack-sharp shot. In general expect AF to be somewhat flaky. The good news is the focus ring is quite wide and placed well (esp compared to the 28-135).

About a week after buying the lens I noticed a spider who was in the early stages of reeling in an insect. Over the next 20 minutes or so, my interest in macro was born.

So maybe this lens isn't quite as versatile as I had hoped (I think I am going to buy the 70-200 for portrait and general purpose work), I strongly recommend this excellent macro lens.

Sep 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tim Dollear to your Buddy List
CarlG

Registered: Mar 11, 2002
Review Date: Sep 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, image quality, easy to hand hold
Cons:

I bought this for detail shots for weddings but find myself using it more and more for general portrait photography. I use this when I need to get up close to my portrait subjects, for full face framing. I typically shoot my portraits with the 70-200 2.8 but when I need to get in closer, the 70-200 2.8 does not cut it, due to the limiting minimum focus distance. I will slap on the 100 macro and fire away. I am SO PLEASED with the image quality from this lens - makes a great portrait lens on a 5D!

Sep 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CarlG to your Buddy List
Ian Faulkner

Registered: Sep 13, 2007
Review Date: Sep 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, value for money, good design, a nice thing to use
Cons:
average autofocus, no lens hood included

Well I hesitated for some time prior to making purchase, would it be any good, would I loose interest in macro once I had got my hands on a (hopefully) good macro lens. Well, the lens is very good and my interest in macro has increased to the extent that I have invested in an X-Y adjustment table, a remote release and a right angle magnifier for my 20D. IMO this optic is very impressive, it offers potential in relation to your own ability. You have to invest the time to learn the best technique, in short the true fun of any hobby, the reward for effort.

I have used this with extension tubes, Canon 1.4 x teleconvertor and image merging software Helicon focus to produce what are IMO fascinating insect pics. But, I am still learning, again the stuff of good hobbies!

Build quality is very good but not quite 'L' standard.

The thing feels nice in your hand and frankly I find myself looking for excuses to attach to my camera, I am even toying with portrait photography, an area which until now I largely ignored.

If you know why you want this type of lens, then I doubt you will be disappointed with it. I recommend it.

Sep 14, 2007