Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

208 482368 Jul 6, 2014
ef_100_28_1_

Autofocus lens for macro photography up to life-size (1x) magnification. Inner focusing affords a long working distance of 5.9in. (149mm) at 1x. A 3-group floating system results in excellent delineation at all focusing distances. Ring USM for silent and high-speed AF, and full-time manual focusing also provided. The optional Tripod Mount Ring (B) B (with adapter) enables the lens to be rotated for vertical or horizontal framing.

beeber00

Registered: Jul 21, 2008
Review Date: Jun 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, solid build, price, sharpness, doesnt extend, and my favorite part - can be shot wide open.
Cons:
What?

Wow, what a lens. If you want to shoot macro, this is the go-to. Other macro lenses may have positive reviews surrounding image sharpness, but thats what macro lenses are all known for - sharpness.

This lens beats out the others. The first reason is that when this lens goes into macro mode, it does not extend. Other lenses like the Sigmas will have the front barrel extend.

Another reason this lens is the shit is because it focuses in a heartbeat without making a sound. If youre coming from a non-usm lens, its just a luxury. This lens focused faster than two of my other USMs (20-35 and 85 1.8).

The build quality of this badboy is SOLID. You feel like youre holding a man's lens - nothing girly-man about it. It fits well on your camera, especially if you have a grip (or a pro body.. yea, its nice).

The filter size is a 58 - no 60$ filters!

It has a focus limiter switch. What that does is makes it so the lens won't accidentally go into macro mode if the switch is set, which can help if the lens hunts (in low light).

The manual focus ring is refreshing too. Real nice.

The lens is the sharpest Ive seen of any lens Ive used, and its still the case when I shoot at f2.8. This ability is one of my favorite qualities of the lens. I've owned other lenses with a fast aperture, but you generally don't shoot at them because the quality is better stopped down. Why buy a fast lens if you stop it down all the time anyway? With this lens, 2.8 looks great! (I use a 1d 2)

For those newer to photography (or newer to buying new lenses that may seem expensive), Ive been in your shoes. I was happy with my 50 1.8 lens - a 90$ deal. A 400+$ lens was a lot for me, but when you read other users saying things like 'worth every penny', they mean it. Go spend the money on this lens! You'll be happy that you did. Hundreds of others on this website were. You could even buy one from them! Check out the B / S board here and support Fred Miranda.

- The negatives (for some) -
The lens is a fixed 100mm. We know that coming in. The fact that it doesnt zoom should not be counted against it. You have to work with your feet. Be creative. You can't easily shoot indoors on a 1.6 body. Also, 2.8 is a PLUS, not a minus. If this was f2, well.. they make an f2, so buy that one if you want, but 2.8 is perfect on this lens. Lastly, primes are better, get used to it.

I dont think I left anything out. If I did, sue me.

Jun 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add beeber00 to your Buddy List
dustnet

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: May 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: A bargain, sharp image, build quality, large and nice focusing ring
Cons:
maybe a bit heavy

If you want to jump into macro photography without making your banker angry and making compromise in image quality, this lens is the perfect choice, here is why:

- Almost half the price of the IS version (and even more if you get a nice used one).
- Very good image quality, L rated.
- Nice build quality.
- A joy to use the very large focusing ring.
- Pretty good for portrait too.

A couple of things:
- Don't think about doing macro photography without flash! I'm personally using a 580EX II + pocketwizard.
- Prefer close-up lens (like the Canon 250D) than extension tubes, because they are much more easier to use (no need to get the lens out of the body) and you don't loose any light.

If you need real world samples, just check my website and blog:

Emmanuel.

May 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dustnet to your Buddy List
W6jhb

Registered: Mar 15, 2004
Review Date: Mar 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, quite accurate color rendition.
Cons:
None, really!

I've had this great macro lens for several years. In fact, I bought it when I had purchased my 10D brand new - that ought to give you an idea how long I've had the lens! Kept it through several body upgrades (camera, not me!) - 20D, 40D, 50D, and now using it on my 7D.

It is used 95% for photography of classic postage stamps, with a couple of flower close-ups thrown in. I use this lens on a tripod in combination with the Canon MR-14EX Macro Ringlite flash. It does a superb job with the colors and very shallow depth of field I require. I take 100 - 200 macro photos per week, and have done so ever since purchasing it, so it certainly has several thousands of shots - it still works as well as the day it was brand new.

Can't speak for how well it may or may not work as a portrait lens, but for macro work it does a really great job. Highly recommended.

Mar 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add W6jhb to your Buddy List
EdwinCanon

Registered: Mar 3, 2010
Review Date: Mar 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, great image quality, very versatile lens, great build quality
Cons:
No lens hood, no weather sealing, no IS

I have this lens for over a year now and it's the lens that keeps amazing me. I use it for Macro nature shots, product shots, portraits, landscapes, everything.

I have some very sharp macro photo's that even with 18 Mpixels zoomed in are tack sharp. Also the sharpness in the corners is very good.

Here is a overview of some of the photo's I made in the past year:

and http://www.flickr.com/photos/vannuil/tags/100mm/

Great lens that I really advise to buy, you won't regret it.

Mar 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EdwinCanon to your Buddy List
nl_age

Registered: Mar 2, 2010
Review Date: Mar 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: - Sharp - Fast focus - Good value for money
Cons:
- No IS

I own this lens for a couple of month now and i really enjoy it. Never had any doubts about this one.

If you want to see some of the photos i took with this lens. Visit the url below.

Mar 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nl_age to your Buddy List
realtime

Registered: Sep 26, 2009
Review Date: Feb 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: beautifully sharp, great colours, lots of fun, decent price
Cons:
focus hunts at distances beyond 1m - not a problem as I generally use manual

Absolutely the most fun, rewarding lens I have used. Brilliant results - sharp, richly coloured, opens a whole new world of subjects.

I takes some practice to get used to the short depth of field.

Highly recommended!

Feb 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add realtime to your Buddy List
denoir

Registered: Feb 11, 2010
Review Date: Feb 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, excellent macro, reasonably fast
Cons:
Temperamental auto focus, no IS

Great macro lens. It's sharp already at 2.8 which allows you to take shots with ridiculously small DOF. The image quality is fantastic.

With the kind of images that this lens can deliver you could forgive any other shortcomings it might have. Fortunately they aren't many. The only negative thing about it is the focus. The auto focus can be super-fast sometimes while it can be painfully slow on other occasions. Manual focus works fine for macro shots but it is way too sensitive when you are focusing on objects that are further away than ~1 m.

Feb 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add denoir to your Buddy List
barmaley

Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Location: Russia
Review Date: Jan 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

This is one of my favorite lenses.
I use it since 2004 and I still brings a lot of fun.
It is very sharp, have excellent colors and microcontrast,
have virtually none CA. Overall image quality is excellent.
It has fast AF speed for a macro lens, I have even made some action shots with it on 40D and 7D.
It is well built, not actually as good as L lenses, but it works fine for 5 years.
It is not only wonderful macro lens, that is handholdable and has good working distance, It works nicely as a generic telephoto lens, and makes very good portraits.
Even with the crop of new macro lenses, I'll choose this one over anything for the price. New L version is better but the price is much higher.
You can read my review with sample images here:

Jan 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add barmaley to your Buddy List
JackyFong

Registered: Apr 27, 2006
Review Date: Dec 21, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light weight Marco Lens, Fast AF in open spaces, can be used as portrait & close up lens, silent focusing with USM, sharp from f4 and up, nice & vibrant colors
Cons:
Tends to hunt a bit indoor, other then that no other complaints

Saw a mint copy lying in the used camera shop. Asked to try for it. Got a straight sharp picture. Good colors and fits my hands. Shop was selling S$580/- but I got it negotiated for S$550/- with an Emolux 58mm UV filter. I actually know it is a great lens to have as I had used it before for product shooting.

Thus when I saw it, I knew I got to act fast, for else, I might be paying for S$700/- plus for first hand. Then without thinking, I swipe my bank card and after my purchased of 1Dmk2 body last week, I bought another photographic product this week. I realised I used up all the bonuses received. However, thinking of the few times of S$550/- that I could make in the future, this marco lens is worth every single cent.

Now I got to look for more jobs Smile

Dec 21, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackyFong to your Buddy List
Hitendra

Registered: Feb 15, 2007
Location: India
Review Date: Dec 7, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Excellent image quality, superb balance, well built.
Cons:

Here are some shots taken with it, judge it yourself...

Dec 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hitendra to your Buddy List
Lane48

Registered: Sep 3, 2008
Review Date: Nov 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $435.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, very sharp, AF is fast and accurate, solid build, USM, price
Cons:
Canon not including a hood

This is a wonderful Macro and mild telephoto lens. I have been shooting with this lens for 2 years. The image quality is excellent. I have found it to have excellent sharpness from f/2.8, and excellent color and contrast. I do not believe that there is a better Macro lens out there in this focal length. That being said, we will have to wait and see how the new L version performs. The autofocus is very good on this lens. However, I find that I use manual focus most of the time due to preference on my part. I find the size, weight, and balance to be perfect for my Macro shooting. Now, if we could only get Canon to throw in the hood like other lens manufacturers. I find it annoying that I have to spend additional money for hoods every time I purchase a Canon (non-L) lens. I prefer to shoot with the hood installed.

Nov 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lane48 to your Buddy List
jankson

Registered: Sep 4, 2009
Review Date: Sep 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Super sharp,Perfect on everything,AF very fast and accurate,very fun to use,fairly cheap for the result you get.
Cons:
No IS,no lens hood for free

Buy this and you will have lots of fun!

Sep 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jankson to your Buddy List
sunpole

Registered: Jan 3, 2009
Review Date: Sep 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, good build quality and solid glass
Cons:
No IS obviously, but if used on a tripod not a problem

This is a L lens in disguise, good build quality and stunning macro pictures.

Sep 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sunpole to your Buddy List
Mark Pomerleau

Registered: Jan 7, 2007
Review Date: Aug 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $470.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp sharp sharp, excellent quality
Cons:
lens hood not included, tripod ring spendy

I have had this one for over 3 years now and it has been an awesome lens. When I use it for portraits, it is so sharp that you can count the hair follicles on a person's eyebrows. I will use it a little bit for marco work with flowers and other items that I want to get close to as well. It's a little too slow mos tof the time when I try to use it indoors even if I boost the ISO all the way up. In those cases, I have to use my 50 1.4.

Most of the portraits on my website have been taken with this lens:

I am able to use this lens on my tripod with my Rebel XSi without a tripod ring. It's a little front-heavy, but it works.

No complaints with the performance of this lens at all. If I could justify spending money on the 85L, I would get that one for myself. But this one is in my price range and does that job well for my purposes.

And the neat thing is that when I bought it in 2006, it was $470 from B&H, and today they sell it for $570. If I wanted to sell it, I would imagine I could get what I paid for it 3 years ago especially since it is built well.

Aug 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mark Pomerleau to your Buddy List
RobDose

Registered: Jun 5, 2008
Review Date: Jun 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Overall image quality. Price. Macro!
Cons:
Looks funny without a hood on.

This lens is gem. I originally bought it for photographing Jewelry but soon found it to be an amazing portrait lens.

The 100mm focal length is obviously perfect for portraiture both headshot and full body if you have the room. Due to its construction, the clarity of the image is very inspiring. It makes you want to go to India to photograph intricate fabrics :D

On the 5D mark 2 there is no obvious signs of unsharpness due to the high resolution sensor. I am not sure what the limit of this lens is but it's no where near 21 megapixels.

Compared to the 135L as a portrait lens, apart from the obvious aperture difference, there is only a minor amount of saturation lacking but not enough to be worth worrying.

I have been using this lens in a professional environment for a few years now and would recommend it to anyone.

Jun 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RobDose to your Buddy List
Enche Tjin

Registered: Jun 14, 2009

Pros:
Cons:

I bought Canon Macro 100mm for fun, because of the deep cashback from live.com in the thanksgiving week. First I think if I don't like it, I will sell it, but the lens is just too amazing to be sold.

Canon Macro 100mm is quite affordable and do a fantastic job. No wonder a lot of professional use and recommend it. The lens is primarily use for macro, for small things. The lens have ability to focus really close to object so that the camera can capture a life size image.

The depth of field is very shallow, especially wide open at f/2.8 as you can see in some samples that I have uploaded. So, f/8 or higher is recommended if you want to capture a sharp object.

But the shallow depth of field is not bad thing for many people, it helps the photographer to point out where is the most interesting part of the picture.

The focal length of 100mm, make it ideal for portrait lens because it flattens out the facial features and blur the background making the subject more appealing especially girls portraits.

The color contrast is also very good, it turns everyday boring object becomes interesting.

Physically, the lens are slightly longer and heavier than most general purpose lens, the built quality is almost similar to 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and slightly better than 50mm, 85mm primes.

The focusing bar is big make manual adjustment becoming very easy (manual focus is important for Macro work to ensure accurate focusing, although the auto focus is very fast due to USM (UltraSonic Motor). We can adjust the focusing to macro range (close up) or standard to long range.

This lens focal length is bit too long for indoor shot and in crop sensor camera (Rebel series, and X0D series) but ideal for full frame camera (5D, 1D(s) series), but it is perfect for outdoor.

Other alternative for APC-S camera is the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM which is smaller more suitable indoor and have almost equal price and image quality. The drawback is the EF-S lens can't be use in full frame camera if you want to upgrade later.

Please check out my blog at www.radiantlite.com for sample photos, video tour and more reviews.

Jun 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Enche Tjin to your Buddy List

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM