Sony FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* SEL2470Z

5 7802 Apr 21, 2014
7.0
Screen_Shot_2013-11-13_at_2_25_05_PM_copy

Name: Sony 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* SEL2470Z
Image Circle: 35mm (Full-frame E-Mount)
Type: Standard Zoom
Focal Length: 24 - 70mm
APS Equivalent: 36 - 105mm
Max Aperture: f/4
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 7 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 12 elements in 10 groups, including 5 aspheric and 1 extra-low dispersion element
Diagonal Angle of View (Based on image circle): 84 to 34 degrees
Focus Details: Linear motor
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 40cm / 1.32 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.2x / 1:5
Dimensions (Length x Diameter): 94.5mm x 73mm / 3.72 in. x 2.87 in.
Weight: 426g / 15.0 oz
Notes: Optical SteadyShot; Included Accessories: ALC-SH130 Petal Lens Hood, Lens Case
Online Price US$1,200 (Available Jan 2014)

Mark K

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Apr 21, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light weight, colour and sharpness. build quality
Cons:
Price, and Canon's 24-70/f4 seems better.

That was what I have been waiting for so I paid whatever the price I was asked for.
Gone with a first trip with mirrorless FF..and this is was mounted on my camera 99% of the time. Very sharp and satisfactory and finally something similar to my beloved 24-105L

Apr 21, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark K to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia
Review Date: Apr 3, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,012.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Should I call my self lucky ? ... I do not known but this lens perform for me exactly as it suppose. Crisp sharp, manual focus like a butter and with A7R image is like a dream. When I compare images with images from Hassy H4D-40 it is very close.
Cons:
No Nothing Nada Zip Zilch Zero

Having this lens on A7R as everyday lens is a pleasure. Over-all size and weight of this package is great.
Image Quality is amazing. Even when stitching multiple images I do not see the cross section this lens is so good.

Apr 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
Herbc

Registered: Dec 14, 2012
Review Date: Mar 26, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Not too big, handy. I don't usually shoot zooms, but this is a good lens for walkabout. I would rate it about 7.5 or 8. Very well built. DxO gave it decent marks, not fantastic, but decent.
Cons:
distortion at the wide end. expensive

somewhere there is a review that compares this lens to the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and gives it equal ratings. I could not find it for this post. Distortion in RAW shots is obvious, I don't shoot jpeg, so I can't address that.
I only shoot raw, and will probably use this lens for less than serious work, scouting for scenes where I would return with more gear and
spend hours getting the right shot. For that, it is perfect. Pretty expensive, as usual for Zeiss.

Mar 26, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Herbc to your Buddy List
Fred Miranda
Admin

Registered: Dec 30, 2001
Review Date: Mar 1, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Well built, image stabilization, color, contrast, small and light.
Cons:
distortion at 24mm and 70mm, extreme edges soft from 24mm until 30mm due to astigmatism.

The FE 24-70 f/4 is very compact comparing to the Canon 24-70 II + adapter so it's a consideration for Canon shooters.
It's also well built and light. However, just like with the FE 35mm and FE 55mm, fly-by-wire focus is smooth but it's a negative for me.

Here are my initial impressions shooting at about 25 feet distance with the A7R:

The FE 24-70 f/4 is plenty sharp wide-open at all focal lengths. Micro contrast improves dramatically by stopping down to f/5.6. However, at the wide range, stepping down further reduces micro-contrast from the center and does not do much for the extreme corners.

From 24mm until around 30mm, the aperture sweet spot is between f/5.6 and f/8 and at 50-70mm performs fine at f/8.

At 24mm, corners are somewhat sharp at f/5.6 but extreme corners do not follow and look very soft. The same happens at 30mm to a lesser degree. There is an improvement at 35mm and at 50mm the lens performs its best. Very sharp center and extreme edges. Sweet spot is f/5.6. At f/8 extreme corners sharpen up even further.

At 70mm, I find the extreme corners sharp when stoping down to f/5.6. At f/8 corners improve further. No changes going to f/11.

So, like many reviewers, I find the FE zoom's achilles heel to be from 24mm until 30mm at the extreme corners. It's not due to field curvature. Focusing on the extreme corners does not improve them probably due to astigmatism.
At 70mm, I found the lens sharp from center to edge when stopping down to f/5.6-f/8.

Comparing to the bigger and more expensive Canon: The Canon 24-70 II has better micro and macro contrast. Color rendition is better on the Canon. Colors are richer and a tad warmer.
Even shooting on a cloudy day, the differences in contrast and color were noticeable. The Canon 24-70 II sweet spot is also f/5.6 but by then the corners and extreme corners are already sharp. Stepping down to f/8 and f/11 improves extreme comers even further.

With respect to distortion, at 24mm barrel distortion is quite high (reminds me on my 24-105L @24mm) but easily fixed in LR. At 70mm, pincushion distortion is moderate.
The 24-70 II distortion is better controlled in comparison.

It's interesting to note that the FE 24-70 f/4 OSS has a slight wider view than the Canon 24-70 II. When corrected for distortion, the field of view become almost identical.

I need to do more shooting to get to know the lens but from my initial test the lens is a keeper but my critical work will be done with the 24-70II.

Mar 1, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Miranda to your Buddy List
Jerry_B_L

Registered: Feb 27, 2014
Review Date: Mar 1, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,198.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Light weight, good construction
Cons:
Blurry at 24 & 35mm starting 60% of the way toward the edge of frame

I purchased this at B&H, the supporting images can be seen on my review at that site.
I tested this lens on the Sony A7r. It is soft at 24 and 35mm starting at 60% of the way out towards the edge. I compared it to my current system, the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f4-5.6 IS on Canon Rebel 550D. I photographed a brick wall at a variety of focal lengths and f-stops, I’ll only go into detail on one set, take at 24mm f8 on the Sony, and the equivalent focal length on the cropped sensor of 15mm f8. Both sets were taken at ISO 200 and 1/250. These parameters eliminate depth of field and “shutter shake” considerations. I used Photoshop to “up-scale” the 16Meg Canon file to the 36meg that the Sony file contains. The 100% crop images may be seen on the B&H review of this lens, since I could not post them here. The Sony is perhaps a bit sharper at the center. By 40- to 60% of the way to the edge along the horizontal they are equal. At 70% the Canon is sharper and the difference increases as one goes closer to the edge. The story is similar at 35mm. The Sony is sharp across the field at 50mm, but at 70mm some softness creeps in to within 10% of the edge.
The positives are the lens seems well build, is compact. I like many aspects of the A7r. Judging from other reviews, the Sony prime lenses do much better. Ultimately my reason for going from a cropped sensor to a full frame camera is to improve image quality. Small and light is a tremendous factor for me. However, without an improvement in what is my most used focal length range, I concluded that is pre-mature for me to jump ship to the Sony FE system and returned the camera and lens to B&H. I am hoping future lens offerings will cause me to reconsider.

Mar 1, 2014