Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Zeiss Sonnar T*

5 5278 Jun 21, 2014
Screen_Shot_2013-11-13_at_11_47_32_AM_copy

Name: Sony 35mm f/2.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* SEL35F28Z
Image Circle: 35mm (Full-frame E-Mount)
Type Wide Prime
Focal Length: 35mm
APS Equivalent: 52.5mm
Max Aperture: f/2.8
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 7 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 7 elements in 5 groups with 3 apheric elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 63 degrees
Focus Details: Linear motor
Closest Focus: 35cm / 1.15 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.12x / 1:8.6
Filter Size: 49mm (40.5 w/hood)
Dimensions (Length x Diameter): 36.5mm x 61.5mm / 1.44 in. x 2.42 in.
Weight: 120g / 4.3 oz
Notes: Included Accessories: ALC-SH129 Lens Hood
Online Price: US$798

philber

Registered: May 20, 2008
Review Date: Jun 21, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ of the first magnitude. Build quality. Low weight and compact size.
Cons:
Who wouldn't want this lens to be one stop faster (f:2.0), or to be just as sharp wide open as it is stopepd down?

This lens is a sleeper. Because it is not spectacular, in-your-face, either by what it looks like, how much it costs, or what images it produces, it is easily underrated.
Not so IMHO. IQ is top-notch. Colours, contrast, detail are best-in-class. Sharpness is very high, though not the sort that amazes, because it leans more towards a painterly presentation than towards a macro-type rendering.
Because you get all of this in a small and light package, with autofocus, and at a price which, for anything that has the Zeiss name on it, is not overly expensive (though it is basically a Sony design overseen by their partners Zeiss), it is a great lens.
In my case, with its 35mm focal length, it is my go-everywhere-shoot-anything lens. Except of course for its f:2.8 max. aperture, which excludes certain uses. But,if it were faster, it would also be larger, heavier and more expensive, so...
While not as spectacular, I rate it higher than its longer brother the FE 55.
Highly recommended!

Jun 21, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add philber to your Buddy List
rosscova

Registered: Nov 25, 2005
Review Date: Mar 25, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, light, SHARP, great colour, good AF, sealed.
Cons:
f2 would have been nice, but we can't have everything.

I've been a fan of Zeiss for a long time, and have had their lenses on Hasselblad (V system) as well as on my Canon 5DmkII (ZE 50mm 1.4). I've always found something about the way Zeiss lenses render images as really special, and different from most other lens makers. These FE lenses can't really be thought of as "true Zeiss", but I am finding that same quality of rendering here that I've seen before in the "proper" Zeiss glass. When it comes in a tiny package like this, with good AF and weather sealing as well, I'm diving in head-first!

What's more, this teeny little 35mm is SHARP. I mean REALLY sharp, even wide open, even to the far corners. Colours are accurate as well as rich and vibrant, and contrast is beautiful. Oh sure, you'll find little flaws here and there, but this lens can hold its own on technical quality with anything I've ever used.

I'm sure these lenses will drop in price a little in time, but to be honest they're worth every penny. Like most, I would have liked an extra stop to make this f2, but for all this lens offers, I'll take that any day.

Mar 25, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rosscova to your Buddy List
Mark K

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Jan 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Shaprness, lightweight
Cons:

Dreamed having an Rx1 with replaceable lens and this accomplished my dream having both a7 and that lens. Sigma 35 f1.4 is the sharpest 35mm I ever have and this one is as sharp as Sigma

Jan 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark K to your Buddy List
bohdanp

Registered: Feb 23, 2013
Review Date: Jan 3, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, Sharp, Sharp, Color Pops, Price
Cons:
Absolutely none

I bought the Sony A7r to add a digital aspect to my Leica lenses. The first thing I did when I bought the camera was load up my 35mm Summicron-M.

Having been lured by the online reviews of the Zeiss lens for this camera line, I pulled the trigger. Personally, I love the look of Zeiss AND Leica; I am firmly in both camps. The second thing I did was to attach the Zeiss lens and shoot a few frames in a similar manner to the 'cron.

I am definitely not a pixel peeper, and learn to shoot the lens within it's limits. Sometimes, I like to even accentuate the 'character' of the lens. However, on this day, I loaded up the pics in LR and had a look. The Leica lens had that familiar look to it. And, the Zeiss. HOLY CRAP! I nearly cut my eyes on the the sharpness. I had it set at f/5.6 and f8 around the early evening shooting time. Also, I had the ISO set at 200.

The next day, I took the kids and dogs for a walk and carried the camera with me. Using the Zeiss lens, I shot off about 40 pics. When I got home, I noticed the nice feel of the pics and the really sharp edges. Additionally, I fiddled around in LR for about 2 minutes, and pulled some of the highlights back. Holy crap. I had to be careful not to over-do it. But, wow, hardly any adjustment had that lens really looking like a painting instead of a photo. The color was fanatical...I have a feeling I am going to be shooting this lens 80% of the time.

Jan 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bohdanp to your Buddy List
Toys6

Registered: Sep 17, 2003
Location: Austria
Review Date: Dec 9, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light and sharp!
Cons:

Sealed, small, light, sharp. Perfect combination with the very small 36MPx A7R. Sony/Zeiss did a great job with this little 35/2.8. AF is "solid", CA is low and flare resistance is great!

Dec 9, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Toys6 to your Buddy List

Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Zeiss Sonnar T*