26 29890 Jun 10, 2015

Page:  1 · 2

jacquesvroom

Registered: Sep 21, 2003
Review Date: Oct 29, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,573.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ at 25,600 is punishingly good! Puts my once beloved, now miserable 5D2 to shame well beyond words. Really!
Cons:
No coupon for Tesla S included in the B&H box. No 20 exposures per second capability. In every day high-end terms, though, it seems excellent.

Above from first few hours. More to come...

Oct 29, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jacquesvroom to your Buddy List
AdamParent

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Oct 21, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Low noise at high ISO; low light focusing ability
Cons:
1/4000 shutter speed

I just upgraded from a Canon 20d I purchased in 2005 so this was one heck of an upgrade!

I was astonished with the high ISO performance. Its not exactly a night vision device, but its still amazing to me! I don't have an external flash, and I intend to get one someday, but high ISO performance is really making this a low priority for me. I'm also much less worried about not having fast f2.8 lenses in my inventory.

Going from 5 fps on my 20d to 4.5 fps on the 6d isn't really noticeable, though admittedly I have been focusing on landscape photography lately. I would like to photograph the occasional airshow or eagles in flight and I don't think the half fps drop will kill me.

I do prefer the "joystick" or "nub" on the 20d over the interface on the 6d, but its not a show stopper.

I think the GPS and wifi are both nice-to-have features, though they aren't game changers either. I would like to do a little more astrophotography where I hook my camera up to my 10" telescope. The wifi will allow me to avoid dangling the line from my remote shutter release which can help eliminate unwanted camera/telescope shake.

I find the center focus point low light focusing ability of this camera amazing! This is a huge improvement over the 20d. While this camera isn't known as an action camera in terms of focusing ability I do believe it can satisfy my limited needs in this area. Again, I have to admit to limited testing in this area so far. I've also never experienced high-end focusing capability so its possible I just don't know what I'm missing.

So far I suspect that any problems I've had are a result of a lack of skill rather than a short coming of the camera. If I could pick one or two features from the higher end cameras to add to the 6d, I think my first picks would be 1/8000 shutter speed and maybe high end action focusing.

I paid $2399 and got the bundled 24-105 lens as well as a couple other extras.

I fully expect to use this camera for the next 5-8 years. I can't imagine what kind of performance I'll be getting when I make that upgrade.

Oct 21, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AdamParent to your Buddy List
WestFalcon

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 1915
Review Date: Oct 19, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Silky smooth image quality with little noise...best image quality of any Canon I have owned
Cons:
1/160th sync speed on flash is not good...too slow for sync speed.....I'd like a built in flash

I really can't believe the images I got on a family picture at ISO 400....Skin on people was like porcelain and so sharp I really didn't need to sharpen images. I love my 5D2 and the images from this camera are as good or better....I got a refurb for 1450 and I love it......one year warranty too......my only beef is flash sync speed.....I haven't figured out wifi yet but that should be a nice feature when I do. This camera is a winner...grab one if you can get it at the price I did.

Oct 19, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add WestFalcon to your Buddy List
Medic8ed

Registered: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Seychelles
Review Date: Oct 9, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Low light focussing, High ISO, No spots, light weight, easy to carry for the day
Cons:

1) I have a 7D that gives 100% view finder, the 6D ONLY gives 98% view finder. Wow I get an extra 2% or I didn't see that missing 2%. My eyes instantly noticed.
Come on, it's time to Crop it.

2) 6D only gives 4.5 frames per second in a burst. Oh, wow, better than 5D2, people still complain about 5D3 going 6. If all cameras did 20/sec and a company made one that did 20.00001 someone would still complain. Get out and work with the 4.5.

3) No built in flash. Canon has never put a built in flash on their FF. You know it. Don't complain when you know it and buy it. Deal with it.

4) With my 7D I don't like to go to 1600 ISO I try to keep it at 100 to 200.
With the 6D I tried 5000 ISO, morning sunrise and a drilling rig. Easily better than the 7D at 800 ISO.

5) No it doesn't have 2000 focussing points to confuse you and make you lose that once in a life time picture, while you keep pushing the focussing until the camera focuses on what you want.
I use center focus and it nails focus instantly. Even in the low light of a sunrise. Which the 7D had troubles.
Learn the camera and the focussing system and you'll get a better % of keepers.

6) I am a male and do weights, I can still feel the difference between the 7D and 6D. I like the weight of the 6D and the size of the 7D. On a hike I put the 7D in my pack because of the weight.

7) Read the manual. Sounds harsh, but it is so true.

I don't go hiking without one or both of the cameras. My Oldest Sons dog ran into a black bear and there was a small scuffle. The bear wondered slowly away. Seemed unusual. I looked up in a tree and there was a cub. A few pictures and I walked well around it.
Great camera. Have fun taking memories with it.

Oct 9, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Medic8ed to your Buddy List
Straydog

Registered: Nov 3, 2002
Review Date: Sep 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: All of it...
Cons:
This is silly, but I'm worried that it will take the challenge and mystery out of shooting on the streets at night...it's almost too easy!

WOW! I'm stunned by this camera...

Sep 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Straydog to your Buddy List
toma7

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Austria
Review Date: Sep 5, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: full frame, high ISO, weight, silent mode, size, good battery life, very good IQ
Cons:
no flash, out-dated autofocus system
Sep 5, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toma7 to your Buddy List
Axel Cato

Registered: May 6, 2007
Review Date: Jul 18, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic image quality, Wifi, High ISO, weight, size.
Cons:
None, I confirmed the limitations of this camera before purchasing.

This is a awesome entry level full frame camera. The size, weight, and image quality is fantastic. The low light capabilities of this camera have been impressive, to the point that I have not needed my flash as often. I have not picked my 7D once since I received this camera, although I will need my 7D for auto racing. This is not considered a sport camera but can be used for action in capable hands. I recommend this camera to anyone that wants the full frame experience without breaking the bank.

Jul 18, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Axel Cato to your Buddy List
rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: Jul 11, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ, very nice color rendition, weight.
Cons:
Not much. A 100% viewfinder would be nice, maybe better weather sealing.

Great camera when you don't have a lot of action. IQ is great. Wish the viewfinder had 100%. I use this one mostly for macro, and for market / city shots where my 5DIII feels to heavy, also as backup body. The build is great, but could have a little more weather sealing - when it gets really rough I use the 5D.

Jul 11, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
waterden

Registered: Feb 19, 2012
Review Date: Jul 10, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Really impressed by this camera. Sturdy and light. IQ excellent at high ISOs - I rarely top 3200 but it will if necessary. AF down to -3EV is extraordinary. EOS Remote wifi implementation is superb and very useful for low level tripod photography. Perfect landscape body. Much preferred to 5D MkII.
Cons:
While I have used it successfully for bif this is very hit and miss and luck plays too big a part. This camera not really suited for such action shots as AF grid too restricted and insufficiently sensitive. Hence I have 5D Mk III for this use. One tip - some have noted need to regularly re-set wifi connections and this seems to be connected with the auto-sleep facility; I have this disabled and have had no such issues with the wifi which has been solid as a rock.

Jul 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add waterden to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Jul 10, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small size and light weight, great LCD, superb low and high ISO image quality in RAW, all the AF points work accurately even in low light, takes SD cards, GPS & Wifi there if you want them, microadjust at both ends of zoom. Better shadow detail if pushed. Fantastic silent shutter.
Cons:
Not 100% viewfinder, oddly placed stop-down button, only one way level, loss of the multi-controller, the smaller in-ring one is fiddly with gloves on. A couple of extra FPS would have been nice, not really a sport camera. Not much to worry about.

Just an excellent camera that really shows some development from the 5D2.

An excellent compromise if you can't stretch to a 5D3 or if you are coming up from a crop camera - although you'll probably need to invest in a small flash for fill-in.

GREAT high ISO image quality - virtually noise free at 6400 with good exposure, RAW and lightroom, astonishing.

Shame it's only a one-way level and the viewfinder doesn't show 100% but the silent shutter is fantastic and the focusing system is simple yet works pefectly.

Thoroughly recommended by me.

Jul 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List

26 29890 Jun 10, 2015