Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S Nikkor

Focal Length 80 - 400mm
APS Equivalent 120 - 600mm
Max Aperture /4.5 - 5.6
Min Aperture /32 - 40
Diaphragm Blades 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction 20 elements in 12 groups, including 1 Super ED and 4 ED glass elements; Nano Crystal Coat
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle) 30.2 to 6.2 degrees
Focus Details AF-S with Silent Wave Motor (SWM), Focus mode switch (A/M, M/A and M); Focus limiter switch
Front Element Rotation No
Zoom System Rotating
Closest Focus 1.75m / 5.74 ft from focal plane (1.5m /4.92 ft in MF)
Magnification Ratio 0.175x / 1:5.7 (0.196x / 1:5.1 in MF)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter) 203mm x 95.5mm /8.0 in. x 3.8 in.
Weight 1570g /3.5 lb (with tripod mounting collar); 1480g /3.3 lb (without tripod mounting collar)
Notes Vibration Reduction (VR) allows for up to four stops of image stabilization; Auto tripod detection. Included Accessories: 77 mm snap-on Front Lens Cap LC-77, Rear Lens Cap LF-4, Bayonet Hood HB-65, Flexible Lens Pouch CL-M2
Online Price US$2,700

muralin

Registered: Dec 28, 2008
Review Date: Dec 31, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super fast AFS. Sharp. Solidly built.
Cons:
Price. Lens collar is sub par even though it is a bit better than the lens collar for the older version. Get the Kirk collar.

Dec 31, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add muralin to your Buddy List
akersc

Registered: Apr 2, 2010
Review Date: Aug 24, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF is very quick, especially considering the zoom range. Sharp images, VR works as well as any of my other VRII Nikkors.
Cons:
Replace the factory collar first thing. I purchased the Kirk collar and it works quite well. Some say the 80-400 is too expensive but you get what you pay for.

Light years beyond the original 80-400. It was a long wait but worth it. I performed a very unscientific comparison between the new 80-400 and the 70-200 VRII with my D800. Viewing at 100% on a calibrated Dell 27" monitor the 70-200 is just slightly sharper. Not bad considering the zoom range.

The AF works surprisingly well in low light. I was expecting it to hunt quite a bit in low light but if there is any contrast at all it locks on nicely.

I am very pleased with my purchase.

Aug 24, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add akersc to your Buddy List
micloi

Registered: May 1, 2010
Review Date: Jun 4, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast AF
Cons:
Zoom ring a little stiff

Moved to Nikon from Canon recently.
This was purchased to pair with a D7100 to replace a Canon 650D and 100-400mm. The 100-400mm copy I had was one of the best I tried, very sharp, as sharp as the Canon 400mm 5.6 I also owned.

The new Nikon 80-400 is even sharper. Fantastic lens on both the D7100 and D800e.

A bit too expensive but price will eventually go down.

Jun 4, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add micloi to your Buddy List
dale keith

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Apr 19, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The shots are very sharp, the VR is fast, the zoom is solid and does not creep. It is a HUGE improvement over the original 80-400. I am using the lens with a D800 and at low light it is tack sharp edge to edge. I did not have to do any fine adjustments to the lens. It should be a real winner with the DXers.
Cons:
Price and weight. The collar and foot are weak with the foot being very short. I could not add a RRS replacement foot. I had to order a complete net collar and foot

On initial handling the lens is BIG and HEAVY. Under shooting conditions either bright sun or low indoor light, it performed very well. Too heavy as a walk around lens. Great for a day in the field

In comparison to my 200-400, and I am not a "speco techno geek", they seem very similar. However, I did try a 1.4 and 1.7 extender and prefer the 200-400 with either extender.

I enlarged several shots and did not see any real falloff at the corners. Again, the part of the photo that is my concentration, in both composition and printing, is the center.

I am not a marketing guru thus the price of everything is high to me. This lens is expensive and probably suited to those who have some experience with DSLRs and large zoom lenses. I would not suggest a beginner to start with this lens.

I did find the lens enjoyable to shoot and lent it along with my D800 to my Canon-shooting best friend. He was very satisfied with the experience and is waiting for Canon to have a very similar product.

Apr 19, 2013