Nikon 28mm AF-S NIKKOR f/1.8G

5 8320 Jul 11, 2014
28-f18

Key Features:
A wide-angle lens that matches high-pixel-count digital SLRs
Nano Crystal Coat effectively reduces ghost and flare
Large maximum aperture of f/1.8
Silent Wave Motor (SWM) realizes quiet AF operation
Two focus modes are available M/A (autofocus with manual override) and M (manual focus)

Focal length: 28mm
Maximum aperture: f/1.8
Minimum aperture: f/16
Lens construction: 11 elements in 9 groups (including 2 aspherical lens elements and lens elements with Nano Crystal Coat)
Angle of view: 75 (53 with Nikon DX format)
Minimum focus distance: 0.25 m/0.82 ft (from focal plane)
Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.22x
No. of diaphragm blades: 7 (rounded)
Filter-attachment size: 67mm
Diameter x length: Approximately 73 x 80.5 mm/2.9 x 3.2 in.
Weight: Approximately 330 g/11.6 oz
Supplied accessories: 67 mm snap-on Front Lens Cap LC-67, Rear Lens Cap LF-4, Bayonet Hood HB-64, Flexible Lens Pouch CL-0915

bocaminus

Registered: Apr 19, 2006
Review Date: Jul 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Minimum focusing distance (for 28mm), contrast, sharpness, cost
Cons:
Nothing really

Oh boy, this is a one unique and interesting lens. I bought it used just few months ago. I read many online reviews but you know how misleading that can be. Anyway, I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad I did. I shoot FF so the lens covers an exceptionally cool 28mm which is not too wide yet far from being narrow.

In the past 20 years I tried many different 28mm primes. The best by far is Nikkor 28mm f/1.4 but Nikon is not making them any more. The Zeiss 28mm f/2 comes second but I got to say I was really surprised to see what Nikon 28mm f/1.8G can do. It's almost 3x cheaper than Distagon, produces great results and feels exceptionally good on the camera.

Shooting wide open, I found it to be a bit soft especially corners of the frame. Lack of contrast and sharpness could be fixed in post production but it does require some work. Stop it down at about f/2.8 and you have an amazing kicker capable of producing some stunning images. Overall, I can't be happier ... high quality images for a very reasonable price.

Jul 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bocaminus to your Buddy List
saashimi

Registered: Jan 16, 2012
Review Date: May 15, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $595.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Flare resistance (nano coat!), lightweight, pleasing bokeh when available
Cons:
Not necessarily a compact prime lens, noticeable field curvature, can be tricky to focus. I noticed focus shift issues at around f/4-5.6

This review documents my experiences on a dx camera; your results will likely vary for full-frame usage.

I purchased this lens since I quite like the 40mm focal length for general-purpose photography (ok, 42mm on dx if we want to be pedantic). After over a month of dedicated usage on a d7000, I will say that this can be a tricky lens to use.

It's fairly sharp wide open, though I've found f/2-2.8 to be my minimum for acceptable sharpness. By f/4 and above it's as good as you'd ever wish a wide-angle nikkor prime to be. Nonetheless, as much as I wanted to deny its existence, focus shift does occur around f/4-f/5.6 with a tendency to back focus. You can control it by being mindful of your settings and shooting in aperture-priority, but I definitely had a far lower in-focus keeper rate compared with the 35mm dx or the 50/85 f/1.8gs I also shoot with under the same conditions.

However, while the 35mm dx is generally sharper, the 28mm's flare resistance and bokeh are noticeably superior.

Build quality is plastic. Fine for my purposes, but take care not to bump into anything.

With all this said, I'm keeping the lens, as its results are truly stellar. Just be mindful that there may be a bit of a learning curve with the lens. (As an added note, my copy required a -10 fine tune adjustment.)

May 15, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add saashimi to your Buddy List
coffeeshakes

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Review Date: Nov 13, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at 2.0, great look to images wide open, accurate focus, reasonably small and light, very inexpensive for what it offers.
Cons:
Feels a little cheaply made

Wonderful lens, along with the 85 1.8G and the D800 I can walk into about any situation shooting people and deliver images that the clients love. With ease. At f/2 it delivers the goods. I've only shoot it fairly close up and pretty much wide open, because it looks great that way. I can't say anything about field curvature, infinity performance, corners, etc, as for my uses, a wide fast lens is for reportage style images. It does that in spades.

Nov 13, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add coffeeshakes to your Buddy List
c4change

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 4, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great color rendering, very sharp, close focus, f/1.8.
Cons:
Wished Nikon would've cut the length by an inch and made it more compact.

Mar 4, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add c4change to your Buddy List
asamimasa

Registered: Jun 28, 2010
Review Date: Jan 23, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Performs better against the sun compared to a 24 1.4G (in my experience) Superb IQ throughout the frame (slightly compromised due to field curvature) Nano-coating works its magic
Cons:
Focus shift (not that big of a deal), field curvature, a bit too light (dimensionally and weighted similar to a 18-55 kit lens)
Jan 23, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asamimasa to your Buddy List

Nikon 28mm AF-S NIKKOR f/1.8G