Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM "A"

44 61712 May 9, 2016
sigma35

The 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras from Sigma is the first entry into Sigma's Art series of professional lenses, with an emphasis on artistic expression and the creative potential of the lens. With a bright f/1.4 maximum aperture, floating inner focusing system, and Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) you'll have quick and accurate control over the artistic effects achieved by the lens' high quality elements. For added control, you can even adjust the lens' parameters, such as focus, and update its firmware all from home using the USB Dock and Sigma's Optimization Pro software.

• Aperture Range: f/1.4-16
• Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM)
• Floating Internal Focus System
• Minimum Focusing Distance: 11.8"
• Anti-Flare Super Multi-Layer Coating
• USB Dock: Adjust AF & Update Firmware
• Special & "F" Low Dispersion Elements
• Front Filter Thread Diameter: 67mm
• SIGMA Optimization Pro Software
• 9x Circular Aperture Blades

nola_print

Registered: May 2, 2016
Review Date: May 9, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ridiculously sharp at f1.4
Cons:
Weight

This is the best lens I own, bar none. I hear some people have issues with autofocusing this lens, but I rarely have any. (I do often use an assist laser so maybe thats part of why?) Focus is fast and reliable on my copy.

Only downside I can think of is the weight. It is much heavier than it looks. It's a little bigger looking than a Canon 85mm f1.8, but it weighs about twice as much. Still not as heavy as a 70-200 or something but definitely substantial.

May 9, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nola_print to your Buddy List
jovi

Registered: Apr 8, 2016
Review Date: Apr 8, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build Quality, Sharpness, Bokeh, Af
Cons:
Weight?

I'm new to 35mm, but ever since I bought it, I haven't looked back. Sharpness, bokeh and overall feel are just there. I've used this lens with both Nikon and Canon bodies and never had any issues with AF. I love the Sigma ART series and this is their flagship. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for sharp and fast prime.

Apr 8, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jovi to your Buddy List
lukamodric

Registered: Dec 30, 2015
Review Date: Dec 30, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Low Distortion, Controlled CA's, Price
Cons:
Heavy Vignetting

I recently ran into an issue with my beloved Canon 35mm 1.4 L lens. After many years of exceptional quality and loyal service, it started to back focus when photographing an object or subject from that was more than 3 meters away. I find the 35mm focal length to be essential for wedding photography.. especially when it is a prime and can capture subjects in dark situations and help them to pop with its wide aperture. In a pinch with a wedding in a couple days, I picked up the Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM Art Lens from a local vendor. I have read really great reviews so I decided to give it a try. Price when purchased was $899 plus tax compared to the Canon 35 f/1.4L USM which is presently going for around $1,499 plus tax.

I was instantly taken with the great, sleek look of the lens. I liked how it felt on my camera and to the touch. I can’t say I really missed the red ring that is synonymous with Canon’s professional “L” series lenses. The Sigma felt and looked like a really well made lens. With only a couple days until the wedding, I needed to take some pictures to make sure the automatic focus ( AF ) working and that there weren’t any other issues with sharpness, etc..

First thing I noticed is that the AF seemed a tad bit slower. Because I have used the Canon 35mm 1.4 so much, I really have gotten to know it. The AF is blazing fast.. probably one of if not the fast AF out of all the lenses I own. The Sigma wasn’t slow by any means, it just wasn’t quite as fast. Not a super big deal since it WAS fast, just not AS fast.

Another thing I noticed was that the Sigma seemed to be a bit warmer. I didn’t mind this at all when working in post. I always felt the Canon was a bit cool (or more blue). However, to be honest, when shooting in dark situations with low light, I often liked the coolness of the Canon since it helped to balance out incandescent and ambient lights which can make the image look orange or yellowish.

Lastly, it felt like the Sigma was a bit underexposed in a lot of the shots. I came to find out what that was about, but I will explain that more in detail down below.

After the wedding and after getting my Canon back I decided to do a head to head to see how the two lenses compared to one another. When it comes to lens comparison and reviews, I love to do it, but I don’t consider my methods to be super scientific or clinical. In addition, I often test the lenses only at the widest aperture. I do this because when buying/using a prime lens, my intention is to isolate the subject and/or use it in low light. Therefore the performance at the widest aperture is most important to me. Therefore for this particular comparison every shot was taken at an aperture of 1.4. No retouching or editing was done whatsoever. I simply shot in RAW and then exported as sRGB Jpegs

Luka
http://www.hitsticker.com | http://www.printradiant.com

Dec 30, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lukamodric to your Buddy List
Dpedraza

Registered: Jan 8, 2013
Review Date: Oct 21, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, af, sharp
Cons:

I bought this after renting one on my canon 6d. I used it on my D800E and it was exceptional. The files were tack sharp. I've never used the nikon 35 1.4g but the price difference I could have gotten two 35 art lenses. The Af was spot on all the time unless I made an error. I'd have no issues recommending this lens to people sigma has stepped up their game significantly

Oct 21, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dpedraza to your Buddy List

Review Date: May 8, 2015 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Price, bokeh, smoothness, autofocus, sharp
Cons:
Focus issues

After photographing 5 years with the Canon 35 1.4L as a professional bide photographer from http://totaalfotografie.nl, I switched tot Sigma.

My first three copy's had a very bad focus issue and even the fourth needed a focus correction of +18 on my three 5D Mark III's.

After the calibration at Sigma the lens was perfect for the time being.
Sharp, nice AF, smooth and amazing bokeh.

But after shooting a while, this lens needed soms focus correction. I had to do it around 1 time a month. After the calibration the lens seems to be perfect again. I used Focal Reikan to calibrate (can't recommend this software of the crashes).

After photographing a year with this nice lens I went back to my Canon 35 1.4L. En guess what, a better AF in terrible dark places and always sharp pictures in stead of the Sigma.

The Sigma has some strange issues and as a professional who used both lenses en several copy's a long time I still recommend the Canon 35 1.4L.
Maybe a little more CA beneath f2.2 but 99,9% of my pictures are sharp again.

May 8, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Apr 26, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super resolve, build
Cons:

I purchased the Sigma and the dock as well. The Sigma is so accurate in focus as well as producing a razor sharp image from 1.4.

The sharpness even off axis is incredible. I absolutely love the bokeh and there is minimal (if any) aberrations on this lens

I cannot fault this lens, the contrast and colour is also superb. I think it is a bargain worthy of "L" status in anyones book

Apr 26, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Apr 10, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, price, build
Cons:
none so far

What a lens..I have had the 35L for many years and have loved it.
However, this Sigma is on a different level altogether.
The wide open resolution is outstanding and the contrast is superb

I am especially impressed with the USB dock which allows multiple adjustments of focus at different distances...the result, a very accurate system
Well done SIGMA

Apr 10, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
slee915

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: Feb 21, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness price contrast
Cons:
slow AF in AI-servo

This lens takes great photos; super sharp and extremely nice micro-contrast; nearly as good as the Canon 24-70Lv2.

I tried to use this for indoor sports due to its speed. However it was a mistake. Tracking AF using AI-servo is not very good, so I would not recommend it to shoot any moving subjects.

For the price, I would take it over the 35L for static subjects.

Feb 21, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slee915 to your Buddy List
Carles77

Registered: Sep 19, 2012
Review Date: Jan 2, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp! sharp! sharp!, well construct, good at focusing. Nice 3D effect similar than some Zeiss. No so many chromatic aberrations.
Cons:
colors and brokeh not good as canon.

For the price this lens are amazing. Good construction, amazing sharpness, etc.. I also had the canon 35L and this are an upgrade from that. Anyway the 35L has something that the sigma don't have, colors and bokeh. The sigma has tendency for yellow/brown colors but for the price is really must have lens.

Jan 2, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Carles77 to your Buddy List
wadefr

Registered: Oct 6, 2010
Review Date: Nov 23, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, optics, speed
Cons:

The thing that struck me first about this lens on unboxing was the build quality. The lens feels stronger than any other lens I own (although the Canon 70-200 f/4 IS is very close). It also uses materials in unique ways, like the rubber bevel in front of the focus ring that has a really pleasant feel to it. Even the lens hood is beautifully finished, as though Sigma were unwilling to compromise on any aspect of the design. Perhaps this is why they call it the "art series"?

Performance wise I have been unable to fault this lens. I've used it on both a Canon 7D and 5D III and find it as fast, accurate and sharp as the best lenses I own. I bought it primary for use as a portrait lens for use on client photo shoots in the home where I need a low light lens as well as a short focal length for tight places. I've been completely happy with the results, and now use it interchangeably with my Canon 85mm f.1/2L for indoor portraiture on location (I use the 85mm for head and shoulders as it has better proportions).

Many of the photos on my gallery pages are shot with this lens:

I have also started using the lens for on location high key whitescreen work as at f/5.6 there are no chromatic aberrations.

I look forward to Sigma releasing more lenses in the art range. As far as I can tell they are as good, and quite possibly superior to Canon's L lenses, and at this price paying more for Canon is hard to justify.

Nov 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wadefr to your Buddy List

Review Date: Nov 12, 2014 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp Bokeh Fast AF Build
Cons:
non

This should be the kitlens of every full frame camera! I also own a 35 1.4L but this one has a little bit better AF but more sharpness, less CA and feels like a Carl Zeiss lens. Also the bokeh is very nice! A lot of pictures on my page http://facebook.com/totaalfotografie are made with this lens!

Nov 12, 2014
fairtex

Registered: Jun 28, 2009
Review Date: Sep 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, image and build quality; f1.4

Excellent lens!
Great image quality and superb sharpness. Lens feels very solid and sturdy. I do not think the weight of this lens is a problem, but rather see it as an aspect of its build quality.
Highly recommended.

Sep 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fairtex to your Buddy List
Soulphoto2014

Registered: Sep 3, 2014
Review Date: Sep 3, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Better than the allready legendary Canon 35L
Cons:

In past I held to the Canon brand, but as I read so much positive reviews of the Sigma 35 Art and I knew a lens connaisseur that sold his 35L, a guy I can trust, so i'll gave it a try.

Perfect prime, I sold my 35L as the value will drop in near future with the Sigma Art line.

Also the Sigma 50 1.4 Art makes the 50L ridiculous.
10/10 on every aspect, forget the 35L if you are buying today.

Sep 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Soulphoto2014 to your Buddy List
spenjam

Registered: Jan 3, 2009
Review Date: Aug 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness Micro-Sharpness Beautiful Bokeh
Cons:
Only negative is size and weight, would prefer it to be less, but worth it in the final result! Bought it used with a crack in the distance scale, not a negative being that I got a great deal, but I am fussy and that has nothing to do with the negative aspect of the lens, it is outstanding!

Wow I am speechless, this is hands down the best lens I have used on my D600. Sharpness and micro sharpness are incredible, bokeh is soft - stays on my camera 90% of the time now. Have the dock nice but no adjustments were necessary. Just get one...

Aug 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spenjam to your Buddy List
grueber34

Registered: Jan 10, 2011
Review Date: Jul 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, Bokeh, Snappy focus
Cons:
Heavy

Can't say enough good things about this one. Got mine refurbished from the Sigma outlet store and have had no issues whatsoever. It is now my standard walk-around lens, especially at dusk/night.

Jul 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add grueber34 to your Buddy List

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: Jun 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness after calibration | Bokeh | Color | Fast AF
Cons:
Nice build but scratches quick | Sigma hasn't the quality control as Canon | No service for professionals like CPS from Canon |

The first time I used this lens, I was a bit dissapointed. I could find the sharpness like my 35 1.4L. The reason was that my art had e terrible backfocus of +18 on my 5D MK3's. After Sigma calibrated my lens, I had a nother lens!

MUCH sharper (beneath 2.5) than my 1.4L, beatiful color and bokeh and a very good AF.

I'm a professional wedding photographer in the Netherlands and most of this pictures are made with the 35 art and 85 1.4 from Sigma

Jun 24, 2014

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM "A"

44 61712 May 9, 2016