Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM "A"

37 51962 Feb 21, 2015
sigma35

The 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras from Sigma is the first entry into Sigma's Art series of professional lenses, with an emphasis on artistic expression and the creative potential of the lens. With a bright f/1.4 maximum aperture, floating inner focusing system, and Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) you'll have quick and accurate control over the artistic effects achieved by the lens' high quality elements. For added control, you can even adjust the lens' parameters, such as focus, and update its firmware all from home using the USB Dock and Sigma's Optimization Pro software.

Aperture Range: f/1.4-16
Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM)
Floating Internal Focus System
Minimum Focusing Distance: 11.8"
Anti-Flare Super Multi-Layer Coating
9x Circular Aperture Blades

slee915

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: Feb 21, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness price contrast
Cons:
slow AF in AI-servo

This lens takes great photos; super sharp and extremely nice micro-contrast; nearly as good as the Canon 24-70Lv2.

I tried to use this for indoor sports due to its speed. However it was a mistake. Tracking AF using AI-servo is not very good, so I would not recommend it to shoot any moving subjects.

For the price, I would take it over the 35L for static subjects.

Feb 21, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slee915 to your Buddy List
Carles77

Registered: Sep 19, 2012
Review Date: Jan 2, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp! sharp! sharp!, well construct, good at focusing. Nice 3D effect similar than some Zeiss. No so many chromatic aberrations.
Cons:
colors and brokeh not good as canon.

For the price this lens are amazing. Good construction, amazing sharpness, etc.. I also had the canon 35L and this are an upgrade from that. Anyway the 35L has something that the sigma don't have, colors and bokeh. The sigma has tendency for yellow/brown colors but for the price is really must have lens.

Jan 2, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Carles77 to your Buddy List
wadefr

Registered: Oct 6, 2010
Review Date: Nov 23, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, optics, speed
Cons:

The thing that struck me first about this lens on unboxing was the build quality. The lens feels stronger than any other lens I own (although the Canon 70-200 f/4 IS is very close). It also uses materials in unique ways, like the rubber bevel in front of the focus ring that has a really pleasant feel to it. Even the lens hood is beautifully finished, as though Sigma were unwilling to compromise on any aspect of the design. Perhaps this is why they call it the "art series"?

Performance wise I have been unable to fault this lens. I've used it on both a Canon 7D and 5D III and find it as fast, accurate and sharp as the best lenses I own. I bought it primary for use as a portrait lens for use on client photo shoots in the home where I need a low light lens as well as a short focal length for tight places. I've been completely happy with the results, and now use it interchangeably with my Canon 85mm f.1/2L for indoor portraiture on location (I use the 85mm for head and shoulders as it has better proportions).

Many of the photos on my gallery pages are shot with this lens:

I have also started using the lens for on location high key whitescreen work as at f/5.6 there are no chromatic aberrations.

I look forward to Sigma releasing more lenses in the art range. As far as I can tell they are as good, and quite possibly superior to Canon's L lenses, and at this price paying more for Canon is hard to justify.

Nov 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wadefr to your Buddy List
aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: Nov 12, 2014 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp Bokeh Fast AF Build
Cons:
non

This should be the kitlens of every full frame camera! I also own a 35 1.4L but this one has a little bit better AF but more sharpness, less CA and feels like a Carl Zeiss lens. Also the bokeh is very nice! A lot of pictures on my page http://facebook.com/totaalfotografie are made with this lens!

Nov 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
fairtex

Registered: Jun 28, 2009
Review Date: Sep 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, image and build quality; f1.4

Excellent lens!
Great image quality and superb sharpness. Lens feels very solid and sturdy. I do not think the weight of this lens is a problem, but rather see it as an aspect of its build quality.
Highly recommended.

Sep 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fairtex to your Buddy List
Soulphoto2014

Registered: Sep 3, 2014
Review Date: Sep 3, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Better than the allready legendary Canon 35L
Cons:

In past I held to the Canon brand, but as I read so much positive reviews of the Sigma 35 Art and I knew a lens connaisseur that sold his 35L, a guy I can trust, so i'll gave it a try.

Perfect prime, I sold my 35L as the value will drop in near future with the Sigma Art line.

Also the Sigma 50 1.4 Art makes the 50L ridiculous.
10/10 on every aspect, forget the 35L if you are buying today.

Sep 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Soulphoto2014 to your Buddy List
spenjam

Registered: Jan 3, 2009
Review Date: Aug 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness Micro-Sharpness Beautiful Bokeh
Cons:
Only negative is size and weight, would prefer it to be less, but worth it in the final result! Bought it used with a crack in the distance scale, not a negative being that I got a great deal, but I am fussy and that has nothing to do with the negative aspect of the lens, it is outstanding!

Wow I am speechless, this is hands down the best lens I have used on my D600. Sharpness and micro sharpness are incredible, bokeh is soft - stays on my camera 90% of the time now. Have the dock nice but no adjustments were necessary. Just get one...

Aug 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spenjam to your Buddy List
grueber34

Registered: Jan 10, 2011
Review Date: Jul 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, Bokeh, Snappy focus
Cons:
Heavy

Can't say enough good things about this one. Got mine refurbished from the Sigma outlet store and have had no issues whatsoever. It is now my standard walk-around lens, especially at dusk/night.

Jul 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add grueber34 to your Buddy List
aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: Jun 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness after calibration | Bokeh | Color | Fast AF
Cons:
Nice build but scratches quick | Sigma hasn't the quality control as Canon | No service for professionals like CPS from Canon |

The first time I used this lens, I was a bit dissapointed. I could find the sharpness like my 35 1.4L. The reason was that my art had e terrible backfocus of +18 on my 5D MK3's. After Sigma calibrated my lens, I had a nother lens!

MUCH sharper (beneath 2.5) than my 1.4L, beatiful color and bokeh and a very good AF.

I'm a professional wedding photographer in the Netherlands and most of this pictures are made with the 35 art and 85 1.4 from Sigma

Jun 24, 2014
flyfish23

Registered: Oct 21, 2010
Review Date: Apr 30, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality, nice weight and high end finish!
Cons:

Just acquired a new copy today for my D800 and i LOVE this lens! It's a steal for the price/performace ratio.

Apr 30, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add flyfish23 to your Buddy List
rjenson

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Feb 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sigma must have discovered an alien spacecraft and reverse engineered their optic technology. Well done!
Cons:
If the weight troubles you. Get to the gym. It's worth it.

My Nikon D800e's new best friend.

Feb 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rjenson to your Buddy List
Lars Johnsson

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Oct 29, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $880.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, colours, bokeh, build everything is top class on this lens
Cons:

A fantastic lens for a rather low price. And one of the sharpest fast lenses when using it wide open.

Oct 29, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lars Johnsson to your Buddy List
Erik_J

Registered: Aug 31, 2013
Review Date: Oct 11, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp already wide open, Colours, Bokeh, A good price

An excellent 35mm lens. It's incredible Sharp already at f/1,4

Oct 11, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Erik_J to your Buddy List
oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Oct 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f1.4, nice contrast from f1.4, quick and quiet focus, relatively small
Cons:
Non I can think of

This is a dream lens: sharp at f1.4 with very nice contrast and colours, which is true perhaps almost all apertures. Build quality is very nice also. Rounded aperture blades, creates nice bokeh. Chromatic aberration very low if any.

See in more detail at:

Oct 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
Phil Foster

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Review Date: Sep 29, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp across the frame (almost) at any aperture, hard to make it flare, handles well, built well, nice clean design.
Cons:
I would say it has no weather or dust seals but I knew that before I bought it. Sigma have improved their quality control but they are still letting the odd problem lens through. This one included.

When I first saw this lens I was intrigued. I have always liked Sigma lenses, especially their primes but this one really got me interested.

I read about a dozen reviews starting with Photozone, then DXO, then Cameralabs, DPReview and so on and they all said the same thing. "It's sharp, the optics are superb, it's built well, it's designed well it looks good, Sigma have upped their game and it costs far less than most of the alternatives" and so on......

I thought that there had to be a duff review out there somewhere then I thought 'Ken Rockwell'. He won't like it at all and he didn't disappoint. He knew he'd be hard put to slate the optics so he focused ('scuse the pun) on the build. He said it was terrible consumer grade rubbish and that he wouldn't soil his camera bag with one......... Well that did it for me. I went out an bought one.

It's a lovely lens. I have 5 lenses that I use on a D800 including three fast primes. This one and the Nikons 50mm and 85mm f1.8 G lenses and I am hard put to say which one I like best. Optically it would be between this and the 85 I suppose.

It is sharp even wide open. Matt Granger said it has aberrations that softened the extreme corners and I suppose he might be right but strangely I could only detect them on the right hand side of the frame in the extreme corners at wider aperture settings. The sweet spot starts at f2.8. Chromatic abs are minimal to non existent, I love the contrast and the colours and I love the fact that you have to put effort in to make it flare. The AF is fast and accurate, the MF is smooth but with a short throw making MF a little trickier but you get used to it.

I love the way it looks, feels and handles. Materials are a mix of very high grade plastic in the barrel, the thread and the hood with metal for the focus ring and the base plus a brass mount. It is weighty, it balances well on my D800 and feels like a high end lens in your hand.

I needed to dial in a little AF fine tune on my D700 but strangely not on my D800. Dust and weather sealing would be nice but I won't mark it down for that because I knew before I bought it. If you are a jobbing pro who needs to use his/her kit in any weather then you might need the Nikon version instead but optically it won't be quite as good as this Siggy.

I have only had one issue with it but I feel it was a significant one. After a month or so the base worked loose but it never stopped working and it got sorted under warranty. I felt a bit sore and slightly out of love with it for a while as a result and I have decided that if it happens again I will fix it and sell it so I will mark it down a little on build.

Overall a cracking lens, I am starting to love it again but I am still a little cross that I had to send it in to be fixed. Well done Sigma but you still need to improve your quality control.

Sep 29, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Phil Foster to your Buddy List
Jean jacques

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Review Date: Sep 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast sharp well built with 5DmarkIII, even wide open
Cons:
a little heavy

Sep 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jean jacques to your Buddy List

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM "A"

37 51962 Feb 21, 2015