Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Focal Length: 24 - 70mm
APS Equivalent: 38 - 112mm
Max Aperture: ƒ/2.8
Min Aperture: ƒ/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 18 elements in 13 groups, including 1 Super UD and 2 UD elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 84 to 34 degrees
Focus Details: Inner focusing; full-time manual focus and USM
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotating, with zoom lock lever
Closest Focus: 0.38m / 1.25 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.21x / 1:4.76 (at 70mm)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 113mm x 88.5mm / 4.4 in. x 3.5 in.
Weight: 805g / 28.4 oz
Notes: Weather sealing protects against dust and moisture, while a fluorine-coated front and rear elements are easy to clean.
Online Price: US$2,300

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

Lan11

Registered: Apr 8, 2012
Review Date: Oct 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Reduced size and weight, build, lens shade lock and outstanding optics.
Cons:
The lens cup. A true gear collector’s delight. Now only available from Canon : -(

A remarkable lens with performance above many best Canon and Zeiss primes. At this price a true bargain. But the lens cup Canon. What happened to the lens cup! As they say: “The devil is in details”.

Oct 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lan11 to your Buddy List
ic2foto

Registered: Jun 19, 2010
Review Date: Oct 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Top notch image quality
Cons:
Price - but in this case you get what you pay for.

I'm currently renting this lens and several others for another round of testing ahead of my next purchase. On my 5Ds the IQ is very strong and very, very close to the performance of my 35mm f2 Zeiss ZE and the 25mm f2 Zeiss ZE that I'm also renting. I'll probably stick with the Zeiss lenses, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lens for the most critical users. Ben Egbert has a link to his review below and I agree with his findings.

Oct 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ic2foto to your Buddy List
anil007

Registered: Jan 19, 2012
Review Date: Oct 9, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper then ver 1 at three points 24/50/70mm I tested. Color seems a little more pleasing then the ver 1. Distortion seems to be less compared to ver 1.
Cons:
Plastic construction.

I haven't done lot of testing yet, just some shot inside house and yard. I will update my review once I test it some more.

Oct 9, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add anil007 to your Buddy List
ben egbert

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Pros. Well made, very sharp in prime territory.
Cons:
Cons: Expensive, distortion, vignetting.

I just finished my test of the 24-70 f2.8 mk2. It is a landscape oriented test with 100% corner crop comparisons with the 24TSEmk2, 35f1.4L Ziess 50 f1.4 and the 70-200 f2,8IS V1.
At the end there is a link to my SmugMug gallery that has some full size jpgs.

Take a look, leave a comment.

Oct 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ben egbert to your Buddy List
hagejsh

Registered: Jan 23, 2011
Review Date: Oct 1, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It is 20% lighter than the EF 20-70 f2.8 I USM. The sharpeness is clearly superior to the Model I version. I evaluated this lens over 3 days with over 600 shots. The previous reviewer brought trepidation to my decision to purchase. Initially I planned to trade in the old version. After the previous review I kept version I, which has been a great workhorse for me over the last 7 years. It will be added to my 5D Mk II as a permanent camera in my vehicle to use for unexpected opportunities. I have the new lens on my 5D MK III. It is a sweet piece of glass with excellent sharpness and excellent Brokah. I am very happy with the quality of the photos. It is weather protected. I personally feel the lighter weight makes this a great balance with my 5D Mk III. No " jitter shake" as reported by the previous observer. In fact, I am able to use the camera and lens combo with one hand.
Cons:
The front element for attaching filters is made of plastic. The filter size is 82mm-- not a big deal--just an adjustment. Since I already have an 82 mm for my 16-35mm Mk II it was not an extra expense. Of interest is that when you zoom higher, the front element moves out from the camera. With the old EF 24-70 EF 2.8 USM the lens retracted when zooming higher. The lens hood may give more coverage under the old system.

Oct 1, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hagejsh to your Buddy List
yokwe

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Sep 26, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,400.00

Pros: Fit and finish. Light.
Cons:
COST!!! 82mm filter size. Too light. Plastic. Sharpness.

The old version of this lens is my workhorse. 80% of my work is shot with the version I. After 7 years and 500,000+ images taken with it I thought it'd be a good idea to update. I recently updated my 70-200mm to the version II and was blown away by how much sharper that lens was to my IS version I. With the 24-70mm update I was hopeful for a similar giant leap in sharpness. I was disappointed. I did a tests through the max, middle, and minimum apertures and zoom. I did a side by side comparison with identical images from the vI and vII and asked people to pick the sharper image. It was inconclusive. After spending $2400 I was hoping for better. The CA looked slightly improved. (slightly!)

As a professional with assistants I could care less about the weight of a lens. I actually prefer heavy (steadies the caffeine shakes:) But, if you are a PJ or a hiker on the go it's light weight and shorter length is a plus.

Build quality is good, but has more plastic than the old one. I'm very grumpy about the move to the 82mm front end.

I realize this is pointless to say, but the new lens hood looks wimpy and dumb. People were always impressed with the looks of the old one:)

If your a budget minded hobbyist I'd skip this lens and try to find a low mileage vI. For rich guys and pros buy it, but don't expect to be blown away. I'm only keeping mine cause my vI 's barrel is wearing out.

Sep 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add yokwe to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Sep 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nitidez, velocidad de enfoque, sistema fijación parasol, bloqueo del zoom, calidad de construcción, peso y tamaño. Sharpness, focus speed, fixing visor system, zoom lock, build quality, weight and size.
Cons:
Precio, no tiene IS, filtro de 82mm. Price, no IS, 82mm filter.

Tan sólo dos días de pruebas no dan para mucho, pero es tanta la expectación por este objetivo, que he querido, decir ya algo.

El Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L MkII, según dicen, el objetivo más nitido que ha hecho Canon en toda su historia, superando en nitidez al mítico Canon 24mm TS-E y al no menos mítico 70-200mm f2.8 L IS MkII, es decir no hay lente Canon ni zoom ni fija que tenga una mayor nitidez. Con la Canon 1D X forman una pareja maravillosa. Al tocarlo, transmite calidad y es muy robusto, se ve muy bien construido. Pequeños detalles como el bloqueo del zoom o el botón de bloqueo del parasol, hacen la vida más fácil y agradable.
Os pongo el enlace a una de mis primeras fotos, con esta maravillosa lente:

Saludos a todos.

Just two days of tests not go far, but it's so much anticipation for this purpose, which I wanted, and say something.

The Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L MkII, they say, the sharpest lens Canon has made in its history, surpassing the legendary sharpness Canon 24mm TS-E and the equally mythical 70-200mm f2.8 L IS MkII, ie there is no zoom Canon lens that has a fixed or clarity. With the Canon 1D X are a wonderful couple. When touched, transmits quality and is very sturdy, looks very well built. Small details like the zoom lock or lock button hood, make life easier and more enjoyable.
I put the link to one of my first photos with this wonderful lens:

Greetings all.

Sep 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM