Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Focal Length: 24 - 70mm
APS Equivalent: 38 - 112mm
Max Aperture: É/2.8
Min Aperture: É/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 18 elements in 13 groups, including 1 Super UD and 2 UD elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 84 to 34 degrees
Focus Details: Inner focusing; full-time manual focus and USM
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotating, with zoom lock lever
Closest Focus: 0.38m / 1.25 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.21x / 1:4.76 (at 70mm)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 113mm x 88.5mm / 4.4 in. x 3.5 in.
Weight: 805g / 28.4 oz
Notes: Weather sealing protects against dust and moisture, while a fluorine-coated front and rear elements are easy to clean.
Online Price: US$2,300

barmaley

Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Location: Russia
Review Date: Mar 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, very impressive AF performance, build quality
Cons:
MFD at wide angle

Mar 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add barmaley to your Buddy List
Photonic

Registered: Apr 24, 2003

Pros: Scary sharp, IQ rivals primes, reasonable weight and compact size.
Cons:

I went in with high expectations after reading all the glowing reviews about resolution and contrast. I have not been disappointed. I like shooting wide open and this lens just kicks ass at f/2.8. I do not find that stopping down improves the resolution by that much and you could not ask for more by f/5.6.

IS is the obvious missing feature of this lens. If, however, as has been asserted by Canon, the inclusion of IS would have compromised IQ then I am glad they made that decision. I can add stabilization with a tripod but have no way of improving the intrinsic capability of a lens.

I hate the price of this lens but have no regrets having obtained one. It has now replaced my 24-105mm zoom which I still hold in high regard as a very versatile and cost effective lens, as well as my 24mm f1.4L II which I traded for it.

Mar 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Photonic to your Buddy List
Stoffer

Registered: Jan 27, 2005
Review Date: Feb 1, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, outstanding corner performance at 24 mm for a zoom. High micro-contrast and very fast autofocus.
Cons:
Price?

Really just a fantastic zoom. Very sharp from f/2.8 and corner performance at 24 mm is prime quality at f/8. Maybe a tad less sharp at 70 mm, but it still passes the test of rendering eyelashes plenty sharp. Very high micro-contrast gives some beautiful images. Distortion is moderate and should not be an issue unless you're doing architecture. Autofocus is very fast and spot on.

I'm upgrading from a 24-105mm f/4L IS and doesn't miss the IS, but then I knew I would prefer f/2.8 over IS before I bought it. Highly recommended, if you can afford the high price.

Feb 1, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stoffer to your Buddy List
ezekiele

Registered: Jan 16, 2013
Review Date: Jan 22, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: This lens is very fast and creates a very nice and subtle depth of field when wide open.
Cons:
In combination with the 5DMK II and the battery pack it can make for a heavy experience. Overtime the zoom tends to slide out when not held level. This typical happens when shooting with another camera and lens and the camera are hanging from the strap. If not careful this could potentially lead to damaging the lens if it is hit hard enough against something.

I use my Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM in combination with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and a 5DMK II to shoot all of my weddings. After all of the combinations I have used this pair is the best.
Go to <a href="ezekielephotography.com">www.ezekielephotography.com</a> if you want to see samples. Good Lens.

Jan 22, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ezekiele to your Buddy List
svassh

Registered: Mar 4, 2011
Review Date: Jan 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,049.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp from 2.8
Cons:
Price, no IS

Really shocked at how sharp this is from 2.8. Even with my 35L which is sharp stopped down to 2.8 its not as sharp as the 24-70 II.

Much lighter and easier to handle than the last version besides the improved sharpness. Also like the zoom working the way it should now instead of the backwards way of its predecessor.

Jan 14, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svassh to your Buddy List
BostonGreg

Registered: Apr 19, 2011
Review Date: Dec 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: razor sharp, zeiss like colors & contrast, overall stunning image quality, great investment
Cons:

Just picked up the new 24-70 II. This is a fantastic Canon zoom lens and worth every penny. Image quality is fantastic...beats all my other Canon L series primes except the 200 f2 IS and 300 f2.8L IS II. The colors and contrast rival my Zeiss glass. The lens is lighter than the original and has a very solid feel. I'm really enjoying these new Canon lenses!

Dec 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BostonGreg to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,249.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp,sharp,sharp!Quick AF,light weight
Cons:
cost,no IS

I was extremely skeptical of this lens originally,especially when I found out it didnt have IS..I even bought a Tamron 24-70 which I thought was excellent but it kept gnawing at me to try the Canon especially after some outstanding reviews.I sold my Tamron and bought the Canon and couldnt be happier....the weight is much better than the original Canon...the AF is lightening fast and IQ is right up there with the 70-200 IS which is the best zoom lens I have ever used!My only complaint is the lack of IS which does disappoint me but I will have to live with that...the cost?prohibitive but I guess you have to pay to play!...great lens!

Dec 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
jcmedeiros

Registered: Jun 30, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness weight
Cons:
cost

After paying the heavy toll to acquire the 24-70 II I am not in any way disappointed. The sharpness edge to edge is simply excellent through out the range. The focusing speed is also lightning fast and deadly accurate on the 1D mk IV and 1Dx. It actually approaches the 70-200 II, which is the finest zoom I've ever used. It is actually very usable for sports like basketball and volleyball. You certainly couldn't say this about the previous version. The images are also a bit more contrasty, which I really like.

I just love the lighter weight. Some people have complained that is seems more "plasticy" and "not as solid" but the weight savings has to come from somewhere. The new design's 24-105 style hood, which is very compact and moves with the front element, is also appreciated. The previous version's lens hood was a flimsy joke and prone to wear out or just break after a few years.

The cost is steep but I love this lens.

Dec 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jcmedeiros to your Buddy List
greg maurer

Registered: Nov 26, 2006
Review Date: Nov 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality... Rendering is suberb..great microcontrast.
Cons:
Heavy, expensive

I sold my 17-40, my 24-105, and old 40d body I wasn't using, and still spent a small fortune....worth it. Both of zooms (IMHO) lack character. This one renders color and contrast that is just stunning. Is it sharp? Who cares, you'll be too excited about the image itself....(plenty sharp though)

Nov 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add greg maurer to your Buddy List
kaycephoto

Registered: Aug 12, 2011
Review Date: Nov 21, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything that matters to me - amazing F/2.8 sharpness throughout the focal range, much improved colours & microcontrast relative to the previous 24-70mkI, impressive AF reliability & speed (really jumps to focus & is really consistent on the 1Ds3 - basically never misses on the 1DX), better build quality & balance, reduced weight/size
Cons:
Price - while the improved performance/image quality of the mkII lens is worth the price of admission to me (an event/wedding shooter - especially after my CPS discount), I know a lot of pros/hobbyists alike will be left wondering where the inclusion of IS went given its $2,499 price..

While covering the same focal range at the same constant f/2.8 aperture as the original EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, the new 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II has a completely re-worked design. Boasting a larger filter thread (82mm compared to 77mm Ė which theoretically allows more light into the lens) & different new lens elements, the new 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II lens is noticeably faster to focus & much sharper throughout the focusing range.

Photos from the new lens also showcase a level of micro-contrast & colour richness normally only found in Canonís best large-aperture primes such as the EF 24mm f/1.4L Mark II & the EF 35mm f/1.4L. Both flare control & bokeh from the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II is also incredibly impressive (youíll see the pleasing tonal transitions in the samples at the site - link below), given the new lensí updated coatings & 9 rounded aperture blades respectively.

My primary complaint of the original 24-70L was that the images were usually very clinical/flat & lifeless, while altogether lacking the critical sharpness Iím accustomed to attaining with my primes. I basically never found the original 24-70L to be sufficient for my standards, despite liking the convenience of a 24mm to 70mm zoom lens for both event coverage applications & in-studio shooting. Not surprisingly, the Canonís new 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II blows the original 24-70L out of the water in every which way with regards to both image quality & AF performance.

What was surprising to me, however, was the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark IIís image quality relative to notable super-primes like the Canonís famed 35L & 24LmkII lenses. While the zoom obviously lacks the large-aperture flexibility of the f/1.4 primes, the convenience of a quality close-range zoom can outweigh the luxury of using multiple, faster primes in many situations. (A lot of times during an event coverage assignment or wedding, it simply doesnít make sense to waste 30 seconds to a minute to swap lenses.)

Wide open at f/2.8, the new 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II is an absolute engineering marvel: the capable zoom produces results that rival & nearly supersede the 24LmkII & 35L prime lenses at the same apertures in terms of sharpness, colour & contrast. Within a week or two of owning the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II, I made the decision to sell both of my beloved 24LmkII & 35L primes Ė the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II is simply that good & I havenít missed either of my wide-angle L primes at all. Going forward, I have no doubt that the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II will become my primary workhorse lens in most paid assignment situations. (In the sample photos shot at f/2.8 you'll see thereís basically no chromatic aberration or purple/green fringing.)

For Sample Photos from the 24-70mkII & more of my thoughts on Canon's EF 24-70mkII, please read the full review at: http://www.kaycephotography.com/blog-entries/canon-ef-24-70mm-f2-8l-mark-ii-review/

Nov 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kaycephoto to your Buddy List
jakontil

Registered: Nov 13, 2012
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Nov 13, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sturdy, well built, fast AF, size and weights
Cons:
Expensive

Coming on to this lens, i was prepared to lose my 24-105 to make room and funds, but surprisingly, for my style usage, i was able to give up my 24 1.4II and 35 1.4L further

Nov 13, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jakontil to your Buddy List
MartyC

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Nov 4, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp edge to edge on full frame,
Cons:
none so far

Using this lens in the Great Smoky Mtn for a week confirmed that my initial tests were accurate and just how sharp this lens is. I decided to sell my Canon 24L 1.4 II and my Canon 35L 1.4 (which are both good lens). I expected this lens to be a little soft at 60-70mm based on some reports, but found it to be a little sharper than my Canon 70-200L 2.8 II at 70mm, which I had been very impressed with. I printed 4 photos 24X36 just to confirm the edge to edge sharpness.

Nov 4, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MartyC to your Buddy List
clifton425

Registered: Oct 21, 2012
Review Date: Oct 21, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Sharp, SHARP! Very fast and accurate focus.
Cons:
Expensive

This is my second copy of the lens. I purchased locally when I read that some samples had problems and was glad I did as the first copy was decidedly soft on the entire left edge from top to bottom. The second copy is extremely sharp over the entire frame wide open and improves only very slightly when stopped down.

After performing a microfocus adjustment, part of my resolution tests were to check for focus slop by alternately starting the autofocus from the near limit, then the far limit, etc. There was no focus slop at all, the results were identical

I'm not a working pro and take very good care of my equipment, so I am not at all concerned that some plastics are used in the construction of the lens, although the plastic filter threads may need some care. But the plastic threads could be a positive for filter use as they may be less prone to seizing if a filter is over tightened. Brass filter threads are of course ideal, but most filters have aluminum threads.

I like the locking of the lens hood with the latch button, a very nice improvement.

Oct 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clifton425 to your Buddy List
Lan11

Registered: Apr 8, 2012
Review Date: Oct 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Reduced size and weight, build, lens shade lock and outstanding optics.
Cons:
The lens cup. A true gear collectorís delight. Now only available from Canon : -(

A remarkable lens with performance above many best Canon and Zeiss primes. At this price a true bargain. But the lens cup Canon. What happened to the lens cup! As they say: ďThe devil is in detailsĒ.

Oct 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lan11 to your Buddy List
ic2foto

Registered: Jun 19, 2010
Review Date: Oct 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Top notch image quality
Cons:
Price - but in this case you get what you pay for.

I'm currently renting this lens and several others for another round of testing ahead of my next purchase. On my 5Ds the IQ is very strong and very, very close to the performance of my 35mm f2 Zeiss ZE and the 25mm f2 Zeiss ZE that I'm also renting. I'll probably stick with the Zeiss lenses, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lens for the most critical users. Ben Egbert has a link to his review below and I agree with his findings.

Oct 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ic2foto to your Buddy List
anil007

Registered: Jan 19, 2012
Review Date: Oct 9, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper then ver 1 at three points 24/50/70mm I tested. Color seems a little more pleasing then the ver 1. Distortion seems to be less compared to ver 1.
Cons:
Plastic construction.

I haven't done lot of testing yet, just some shot inside house and yard. I will update my review once I test it some more.

Oct 9, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add anil007 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM