Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

2 21086 Jul 14, 2013
image_copy

For use with smaller chip APS-c cameras only
Offers Sigma’s OS System (Optical Stabilization) allowing handheld photography even in low-light situations
HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor) ensures a quiet & high-speed auto focus
Captures small objects with a minimum focusing distance of 17.7” at all focal lengths & produces a maximum magnification radio of 1:3.4
Extremely compact weighing only approximately 22 ounces & measures only 4 inches in length.

Lens Construction 18 Elements in 14 Groups
Weight 630g / 22.2oz.

jefflee

Registered: Feb 23, 2005
Review Date: Jul 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small Feels solid Good to very good optical performance Very useful close focus Great range fast focus 3 to 4 stop OS
Cons:
Have to step down one stop between 18 and 80 to get best performance

This is the new OS Macro version of this lens that use the 62mm size filters. I need a "run and gun" stabilized lens for video. I have the following Nikkors: 12-24, 80-200 f2.8 2r, and 300 afs f4 as well as a Tamron 90 - I think I know what good glass is.

Well have I been pleasantly surprised by this lens. I was thinking about the Nikon 18-300, but I really wanted this lens to be small so I could us it with or without a shoulder rig for video. After reading the DPR review, I thought $400 was a reasonable amount to spend on a lens that would only be used when I was shooting video, and then only when I could use my aperture ring lenses on a tripod.

For such a small and light weight lens, it is well built (feels much better than the Tamron IMHO) and about half to one third the weight of the Nikkor.

Optical performance at the short zooms needs to be one stop down, but it is very good and Lightroom quickly fixes any distortion. The long end is good to very good (on a par with my Olympus m43 40-150 zoom). The close focus is very handy.

I found that the VR/OS works very well. More importantly for video, I can't see much difference between it and really good lenses. I can see using this lens for travel, so much so I bought a B&W Circular polarizer for it.

Jul 14, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jefflee to your Buddy List
ntotrr

Registered: Sep 7, 2004
Review Date: Nov 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $459.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Although not up to the standards of an EX lens' build quality, this lens is well-made. AF is fast due to HSM which is a feature the 18-200mm DC OS does ot have. Zoom ring is well damped. Great range to use as a vacation lens or on a day out when I don't want to carry a bag of lenses.
Cons:
Understanding that these superzooms are a compromise due to the zoom range, there are no real negative aspects when this is considered.

I use a Sigma SD14 and purchased the 18-200mm DC OS lens for that camera to use on vacations for snapshots or when I don't want to lug a bag around for a day of shooting. After getting a Canon 7D, I wanted the same "solution" even though I have a good collection of lenses for it. My choices were down to the Sigma 18-250mm DC OS HSM or the Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC. Since that Sigma has HSM which the Tamron lacks, and I've had nothing but good experiences with Sigma lenses, I opted for the Sigma. I have not regretted my decision. This lens has met and even exceeded my expectations. Build quality is good, the lens is solid but not too heavy which is how a DC lens should be. The AF is fast, the HSM works well. The zoom is well-damped and the focus ring is also.

If anyone expects stellar performance from a superzoom like this, they'll be disappointed but no one should have that expectation. This is a good lens that produces good shots, some are quite sharp and color rendition is spot-on. Any lens with this zoom range is going to be a compromise. Knowing that, my epxectations have been met or exceeded by this lens. For anyone looking for a all-in-one solution when the circumstances merit, this is a fine choice.

Nov 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ntotrr to your Buddy List

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM