Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

39 82158 Apr 8, 2016
image_copy

Designed for use with full frame digital cameras. May also be used with smaller APS-c size sensors with a corresponding effective increase in focal length to about 127.5mm with most cameras
HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor) ensure a quiet, high speed autofocus and full-time manual focusing capability
SLD (Special low Dispersion) glass element and glass mold elements for superior optical performance
Minimum focusing distance of 33.5

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

shrink1

Registered: Sep 18, 2007
Review Date: Dec 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: solid build, reasonable price, effective autofocus, sharpness
Cons:

I tested this lens focusing on maple leaves swaying in the wind, including with outer, non-crosstype AF points on my D3. The lens found focus every time. It's not as fast as a sports zoom, but that cannot be expected. Sharpness, bokeh, contrast are all up there with the best.

Dec 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shrink1 to your Buddy List
eyphotog

Registered: Jun 10, 2009
Review Date: Dec 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: - did not need to Fine Tune on my D700 - Fast enough AF for my use - Feels heavy (very pro like)
Cons:
- Didn't seem to focus correctly on my D300, maybe needs fine tune on that body/lens combo.

Works great on my D700 with no fine tuning on the camera. I got some great results with this lens. The AF is much faster than my old Nikon 85 f/1.4 AF-D (which has been sold) and less noisy for sure. Can't compare it to the new 85 AF-S. Build quality is pretty good, I like the new coating compared so my Sigma 50mm f/1.4.

Dec 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eyphotog to your Buddy List
redisred

Registered: Jul 2, 2006
Review Date: Nov 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Great build quality, fast AF, beautiful optics
Cons:
the copy I had focused fine except far away objects, where it consistently missed pretty miserably.

I gave this lens a try hoping it would indeed be a cheaper 85L with almost no sacrifices. But, after some testing I found that the AF was not at all reliable at far distances. It was consistently way off actually. So, returned to b&h, but I was bummed to do so!

Nov 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add redisred to your Buddy List
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Nov 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Size, price, fast apperture, good bokeh, good build and small hood
Cons:
AF jerks lot no meter low lights or not trying to lock, no weathersealings.

After 5 days of testing I return it back to BH. Main problem for me is AF jerks lot trying to lock. I tried low lights, good lights. I tried different cameras (5D2 & 1D mk IV). All bodies and conditions are same, jerky AF. I asked on FM same issues for most owners of this lens. I am upset since I would need 85mm lens and i can't see any alternative to 85L mk II so far which is twice more expensive.
Otherwise good lens and might work better on Sigma body vs Canon, however I am not sure about.

Nov 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
Matt Kerby

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Nov 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp contrasty lens with very accurate AF and solid build. New rubberlike coating on barrel of lens.
Cons:
MF ring isn't dampened very well. Can't fit the cap on the lens unless you take the hood(s) off.

What a great lens...From the moment I mounted it on my 7D until now (about a week later) I've been blown away...first, by the build...It's solid and has a new rubberlike coating that just feels really good.

Next was the AF....I was really amazed at how fast the AF was (after owning multiple 85L's). It's twice as fast as the mkII and maybe more importantly....Just as accurate.

The image quality is a bit of a mix between near as good as the L.... to... better than the L. It seems about as sharp as the L while the CA and fringing is much better controlled than the L. The bokeh is Signature Sigma 9 blade smoothness, like the EX50/1.4..It's very similar to the L. Very nice...Also....handles flare like a champ using the suplied hood.

All in all, a really nice lens

Nov 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Kerby to your Buddy List
KKFung

Registered: Dec 19, 2008
Review Date: Nov 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $840.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Best picture quality in low price
Cons:

I still cannot find the PQ different between 85L II except when 85L at f/1.2. This lens even have better PQ at f/4.

Nov 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KKFung to your Buddy List
mmari

Registered: Mar 20, 2008
Review Date: Oct 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,173.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, quite fast & accurate af, nice built, petal shaped hood, nice finish.
Cons:
quite visible color fringing on out of focus, high contrast area when wide open.

sigma nailed it this time...

used on 550D & 5D2, results are stunning...

on par with 85L2 for half the price...

Oct 24, 2010