Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

39 81619 Apr 8, 2016
image_copy

Designed for use with full frame digital cameras. May also be used with smaller APS-c size sensors with a corresponding effective increase in focal length to about 127.5mm with most cameras
HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor) ensure a quiet, high speed autofocus and full-time manual focusing capability
SLD (Special low Dispersion) glass element and glass mold elements for superior optical performance
Minimum focusing distance of 33.5

(Diameter x Length) 84.7x87.6 mm/3.3x3.4 in

markshelby

Registered: Sep 28, 2005
Review Date: May 21, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp!, excellent contrast, well-constructed and fast-focus
Cons:

This is my sharpest lens; with fast, quiet and accurate autofocus; solid construction and freakishly awesome contrast.

Anyone in the market for an 85mm should definitely take a look.

May 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add markshelby to your Buddy List
Kevin Sherman

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh, Sharpness, Price, Focus speed
Cons:
Build quality

Canon mount.

Excellent value. Significantly better all around than the Canon 85 f1.8 USM. Gets you comparable image quality to the 85L II (which I have used several times) but with much much faster focusing speeds, all at a significantly lower price point compared to the 85L II.

Build quality is pretty good, I do not like the soft touch finish at all. The copy I rented was really good, except at one point towards the end of a two day outdoor shoot the focus got stuck. So it's not designed for work in rougher weather conditions. Not unexpected, really.

At the end of the day, I was impressed with this lens enough that I plan to purchase my own copy very soon (buying primes!).

Jan 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin Sherman to your Buddy List
Chestnut

Registered: Feb 1, 2005
Review Date: Dec 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image quality, sharp, great bokeh, fast AF, price compared to Nikon equiv.
Cons:
No weather sealing (but no big deal), ever so slightly less pop (contrast) compared to Nikon's new 85G

This lens is 90-95% of the newer Nikon 85 f/1.4 G. But at half the price.

Great optics, fast and silent AF, dreamy bokeh. I had the Nikon 84 f/1.4 AF-D, and needed the upgrade for faster focusing... Researched a long time, and tried both... the Sigma give me 200% more bang for my $$.

It does lack weather sealing, but my use of this lens will not coincide with foul weather anyways, so it's a non-issue for me.

The price has gone up by a good bit since I bought it, but even so, it's a very great lens for the price, esp when comparing with the Nikon 85G.

I'm very happy with it.

Dec 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chestnut to your Buddy List
martsmith42

Registered: Feb 25, 2005
Review Date: Nov 3, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality, excellent sharpness, colour and contrast. Much lighter than the Canon!
Cons:

I've had mine for nearly a year, and used it all through the wedding season on my 5d classics with great results. I don't use it wider than F2, but even at this apperture you can get fantastic 3d type images. The colour and sharpness always makes me smile.

Nov 3, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add martsmith42 to your Buddy List
dealaddict

Registered: Jun 11, 2009
Review Date: Sep 3, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: smooth bokeh
Cons:
inaccurate focus

I first tried the Canon 85 1.8, somehow, the color and contrast is not good. then bought the 85L MK I, color and contrast are excellent, but the focus is too slow to take picture for my kids. And I don't want to spend $2000 on the 85L MK II so give this lens a try. the color and contrast are good, better than the Canon 85 1.8, 90% of the 85 L. Focus speed is very good. Bokeh is smooth comparable to the 85 L. My copy is front focus by 2-3mm at MFD at F1.4. This is not a big deal in real life unless I shoot at a poster, because at f1.4 at MFD, taking picture of my kids at an angle, the DOF is so thin that focus on the right eye the left eye will be out of focus anyway, so front focus by 2-3mm is not noticeable in real life. Overall, I am happy with this lens. At least 90% picture quality of the 85L with less than half of the price.

Sep 3, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dealaddict to your Buddy List
edatc

Registered: Jul 17, 2009
Review Date: Aug 24, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The bokeh, feel, focus
Cons:

Tested focus in store using 5dii and outer focus points at my preferred portrait distances..... wow, dead on.

This lens really works for me. Use it a lot. Really like its drawing style..... Focuses quickly enough that I never use the Canon 85 1.8 anymore.

Aug 24, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add edatc to your Buddy List
gwaww

Registered: Nov 20, 2008
Review Date: Aug 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ, bokeh, price, fun to use, well-balanced, build, fast-focusing.
Cons:
None I can think of.

In slowly converting back to all prime lenses, I found this lens to be a much better fit than the Canon 85 1.8 for me. I had the Canon and it never wowed me like my 135 f2 and my 200 f2.8. This lens wows me and the focusing has been right on and reasonably fast. An excellent and reasonably priced alternative to the pricey Canon 85 1.2L. This is one of my favorites!

Aug 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gwaww to your Buddy List
Le_Slacker

Registered: Apr 18, 2011
Review Date: Apr 25, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great lens - pretty fast, pretty sharp... awesome results on 7D and 5D2
Cons:
1st lens was DOA - AF was a mini jackhammer and would not lock at all - 2nd was everything it should be!

if you can TRY IT IN-STORE...

Apr 25, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Le_Slacker to your Buddy List
Xoa.

Registered: Apr 11, 2011
Review Date: Apr 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh; Sharp Wide Open; Build Quality
Cons:
AF after a month or two it has become unreliable, temperamental

Fantastic Lens... Just need to send mine in to get the AF tweaked.

The AF was rock solid for a month or two, but has become temperamental out of the blue. It hunts every so often, and is stuck on hunting. Despite that... I still pick it up, and struggle because of what it does WHEN it works.

When it works, it creates beautiful images. As other people have said, get a good copy and you will love it.

Apr 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Xoa. to your Buddy List
ukkisavosta

Registered: Nov 27, 2010
Review Date: Apr 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp wide open, overall image quality is superb, AF is reasonably quick and consistent, pleasing bokeh, very good build quality. Reasonably priced.
Cons:

This review is based on my experiences with this lens on an APS-C body. This is a professional lens with a reasonable price tag. Image quality (sharpness, color, contrast) is excellent from corner to corner even wide open. The lens is shipped with a hood and detachable hood extension for APS-C bodies.

AF is consistent and reasonably fast. The AF appears to complete a series of very fast micro-movements when trying to acquire focus on a difficult target, and I have had one instance when an AF lock could not be acquired under such circumstances.

Apr 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ukkisavosta to your Buddy List
NatX

Registered: Mar 1, 2011
Review Date: Apr 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $969.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Faster AF than Canon 85mm f1.2L II, beautiful bokeh, excellent price for same 85mm f1.2L II image quality.
Cons:
Needs slight microadjustment

A wonderful piece of glass that is worth every cent.

Apr 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add NatX to your Buddy List
aquaman0001

Registered: May 10, 2005
Review Date: Mar 2, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, build, effectiveness in low light
Cons:

QC issues...AF issues...Bla Bla Bla.
Keep at it till you get a good copy. You will not be disappointed. I have it on my 40D 3/4 of the time while walking around. Sharp, fast, and did I mention bokeh?

Mar 2, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aquaman0001 to your Buddy List
fsiagian

Registered: May 23, 2009
Review Date: Feb 19, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, beautiful rendering.
Cons:

Stunning lens, simply beautiful. I use it for portrait only. Cannot comment on other uses. Get one, you will not regret it. I have not heard too many complaints about af and qc. Well built.

Feb 19, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fsiagian to your Buddy List
slowdad

Registered: Mar 4, 2008
Review Date: Feb 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $879.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focus hit everytime in low light
Cons:
sigmas quality control. They let several get out that had defective AF motors. My first one was a total failure. took 2 tries to get a good copy. AF jerk badly then completely stopped on first lens.

If you can get a good copy, this is a fantastic lens. i compared it against the canon 85mm 1.2 and the sigma met the canon at every step. The 1/3 stop advantage to canon was not a factor in the decision process. color,contrast,focal speed and very sharp detail, Shallow depth is just beautiful. Shooting at F/1.4 is no problem at all and 1.8 through 2.0 is unbelievably good. Perfect for a wedding and portrait photographer. A good copy of this lens will net outstanding results. Completes my prime lens line up and is on par in terms of image quality with my 35L and 135L. Its glued to my 5D

Feb 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add slowdad to your Buddy List
nick53097

Registered: Apr 19, 2008
Posts: 2058
Review Date: Jan 27, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $803.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp, beautiful bokeh
Cons:

Best portrait lens I have, fast AF, tack sharp on my D700 and produce a beautiful bokeh. I like it more than my Nikon 85 f/1.4 D. This is a hit from Sigma

Jan 27, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nick53097 to your Buddy List
Dushi

Registered: Nov 2, 2009
Review Date: Dec 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: nice focussing, very good bokeh possibilities, very usable in dark situations
Cons:

Just got my 85mmn 1.4. This lens is incredible. Very easy to take beautiful pictures, diafragma wide open is great to use. I think this will be my favorite lens next to the 120-300mm 2.8.

Dec 18, 2010