Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR ED-IF AF-S DX S

9 32371 Jan 10, 2014
8.4
2178-1_copy

Compact, 5.3x wide-angle-to-medium telephoto zoom, ideal for a broad range of shooting situations from interiors and landscapes to beautiful portraits
Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization
Vibration Reduction, engineered specifically for each VR NIKKOR lens, enables handheld shooting at up to 4 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible, assuring dramatically sharper still images and video capture.
Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables accurate, high-speed and quiet autofocus operation.
Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superior color performance and substantially reduced ghosting and flare.
Rounded 7-blade diaphragm for more natural appearance of out-of-focus image elements.
Optical design optimized for use with Nikon DX-format digital SLRs for superior performance.
Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements offer superior sharpness and color correction by effectively minimizing chromatic aberration.
Three aspherical lens elements virtually eliminate coma and other types of lens aberration even when used at the widest aperture.
Close focusing distance to 1.3 feet throughout the entire zoom range.
Picture angle equivalent to focal length of 24-127.5mm (in 35mm format)
______________________

Focal length 16 - 85 mm
Aperture f/3.5 - 5.6
Lens construction 17 elements in 11 groups (with two ED glass elements, three aspherical lenses)
Picture angle 83 - 1850
Closest focus distance 0.38 m/1.3 ft. (throughout the entire zoom range)
Maximum reproduction ratio 1:4.6
Aperture blades 7 (rounded)
Filter attachment size 67 mm
Focusing Auto / Manual focus
Dimensions Approx. 72 x 85 mm / 2.8 x 3.4 in.
Weight Approx. 485 g / 17.1 oz.
Supplied accessories 67 mm snap-on front lens cap LC-67
Rear lens cap LF-1
Bayonet hood HB-39,
Flexible lens pouch CL-1015

oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Jan 10, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is an excellent lens with an excellent range, highly recommended, the stabilizer also very effective, I made my first sharp shot at 1/8s, I was amazed.
Cons:
None, perhaps some people prefers brighter lenses

This lens has a fantastic value if someone doesn't want to change lenses all the time. The 16mm wide angle is also very nice to have as well the 85 mm long end. Highly recommended. Apart from this lens perhaps only the 35mm f1.8 needed.

See in more detail at:

Jan 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
Bernie

Registered: Aug 24, 2002
Review Date: Jan 6, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality,IQ
Cons:
f5.6 on the long end / focus required fine tuning

I recently graduated to the 16-85 VR having used the 18-70 for 7 years. As good as the 18-70 is, the 16-85 is even better as a walk around lens. I wanted the additional reach at both ends, but especially the VR since I do a lot of shooting in the woods handheld where DR can go to extremes from shot to shot.

I bought the Nikon new. The build quality is superior to the 18-70, but am expecting to eventually use the warranty since I made use of it on the 18-70 at 4 years/11 months (had it back in a week).

Also the 16-85 focus required some fine tuning which is easy in a D300 (once you can find & follow the instructions). Also, I didn't want to have to deal with the possibility of having to rechip a 3rd party lens when I upgrade to a new body.

Jan 6, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bernie to your Buddy List
Barry Prager

Registered: Oct 4, 2006
Review Date: Aug 9, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The zoom range is right where I like it.
Cons:
nothing really

I was using this lens on my Nikon D200 and then my Nikon D300 and I was happy with the lens. After applying a little digital magic via DXO/Photoshop I would rate the lens as very good. Then I started to use the 16-85 on my Nikon D40X, which I had converted to B&W Infra-red. The lens and camera combination was nothing short of incredible. I took a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge from Baker Beach in San Francisco. Included in the photo was a popular bridge overlook in the Marin Headlands 2.1 miles away from where I stood according to google maps. When blowing up the picture 200 percent (or so) I could clearly see 5 people standing at the overlook with one of the people holding the hand of a child. Wow! I think the lens was just plain better than the resolving power of the D300.

Aug 9, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Barry Prager to your Buddy List
ivofreriks

Registered: Feb 27, 2012
Review Date: Mar 25, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Practical zoom range Low chromatic aberration Decent construction
Cons:
Moderate optical performances in corners and at 85 mm in centre and corners Sensitive to backlight High recommended retail price

On paper, the Nikon AF-S DX 16-85 mm seems very interesting. The zoom range is 2 mm larger at the bottom, where every millimeter counts, than the zoom range of the Nikkor 18-105 mm and the Nikkor 18-55 mm. The 16-85 mm feels more solid than the other two and the purchase price is considerably higher. Optically, the 16-85 mm performs little or no better than the much cheaper Nikkor 18-105 mm. The price/quality ratio of the Nikon 16-85 mm therefore receives an inadequate.

See overall review at:

Mar 25, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ivofreriks to your Buddy List
jbirdfl

Registered: Jan 25, 2010
Review Date: Jan 8, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: useful zoom range
Cons:
wish it were sharper. had one mechanical issue

I've used this as my main "walk-around" lens for a few years now. I wanted the 24mm equivalent on the wide end and some telephoto (wish it had a little more, actually, like the Sony). Sharpness is average for this design and price range (less at some settings than the "kit" lens that came with the camera, though). I did have one mechanical failure with a cam in the zoom mechanism jamming near the full telephoto end. A bit of jiggling and cussing would eventually work it free until I could send it back for repair. Evidently it is a "known" issue with this lens, though maybe not prevalent enough to warrant a recall. Overall, a good zoom range with adequate performance.

Jan 8, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jbirdfl to your Buddy List
victorpetcu

Registered: Sep 28, 2010
Location: Romania
Review Date: Sep 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Extremely useful range Good contrast, color and sharpmness Good VR
Cons:
Expensive Vignetting at extreme telephoto (85 mm)

This lens is my only used lens although I still have Nikkor 18-55 mm II.
After more than 2 years of quite extensive use (around 20.000 photos) it has some zoom creep.
Excellent all around lens with very good image stabilization so I can get 1/4 s with the 16 mm and 1/15 s with 85 mm with more than 90% success.
It is about the only lens you need on travel. Sometimes it's a little short but the sharpness allows you to crop extensively.
Some pictures can be found in my galleries:

Sep 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add victorpetcu to your Buddy List
roar

Registered: Jan 1, 2009
Review Date: Sep 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $513.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Range, weight, relatively sharp, fast focusing, fairly close focusing, low distortion for its class. An excellent value.
Cons:
Not quite as sharp as its higher priced, much heaver siblings.

My standard walk around lens now. Not as sharp as my 35-70 2.8D, but much more versatile because of its wider zoom range; plus, because of its lighter weight, it is far easier on the wrist. Mine is nearly two years old now, with moderate use, and I see no zoom creep. Overall, an excellent lens at this price point.

Sep 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add roar to your Buddy List
koenigsegg

Registered: Jan 15, 2010
Review Date: Aug 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Range (wide), weight (light)
Cons:
Zoom creep, not that sharp.

My standard walk around lens, useful range but I find my 70-300 sharper but that's due to the sweet spot on DX. After a year my copy suffers lens creep and I do not use it that much.

Aug 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add koenigsegg to your Buddy List
Kimborg

Registered: Aug 3, 2010
Review Date: Aug 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $395.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, manual override, less distortion than 18-200mm
Cons:

Just got this lens, so I'll be back in a week or so with more info.

But It's feels great and is very sharp, even wide open and with less distortion at 16mm compared to my 18-105 VR at 18mm.

Perfekt match with my 35mm f/1.8 and 70-300mm VR.

Aug 3, 2010