Zeiss 35mm f/2 Distagon T*

40 60559 Sep 13, 2015
9.8
35mm

The Versatile Reporter
This classic focal length with a moderate wide-angle perspective
is perfectly suited for commercial, location and nature photography. The Distagon T* 2/35 is designed to provide very high image quality over a wide range of apertures and focusing ranges. The fast f/2 aperture enables hand-held photography under difficult lighting conditions and the short focus rotation is well-suited for fast action photography. The Distagon T* 2/35 is available with the F bayonet (ZF), K bayonet (ZK) and M42 (ZS) lens mounts and is designed for use with full-frame SLR and DSLR cameras. A special floating elements design offers constant high performance over the entire distance range.
Combined with a DSLR with a 1.5 crop factor, the lens has an effective focal length of 53 mm and can be used as a standard focal length for a natural viewing perspective.

Focal length 35 mm
Aperture range f/2.0 f/22 (1/2 steps)
Focusing range 0,3 m infinity
Number of elements/groups 9/7
Angular field, diag./horiz. 62/53
Coverage at close range 19 x 13 cm
Filter thread M 58 x 0.75
Dimensions (with caps) 64 mm, length 97 mm
Weight 530 g
Camera mounts EF Mount (ZE) F Mount (ZF & ZF.2) K Mount (ZK) M42 Screw Mount (ZS)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

Makten

Registered: Jul 13, 2008
Review Date: Apr 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: +Sharp and contrasty straight from f/2. +Vivid colors and a micro contrast that makes the images "pop" +Great build quality and finish +Almost free from flare
Cons:
-Heavy vignetting on FF at f/2-2.8 -Quite a lot of CA in the cornes, even well stopped down -"Color vignetting", giving a magenta cast to the corners -Barrel distortion; enough to make architecture troublesome

This is one of the best lenses I've owned (out of ~45). Probably THE best. But I'm not sure everyone would agree.

The overall image quality is stunning, with a sharpness and contrast that I've never seen any Nikkor produce. It's more about local contrast than pure resolution. I didn't really believe all the "3D" talk, but now I do. It's there and you don't get it from most other lenses.

But, there's a backside of the coin, that you seldom hear of. The lens vignettes really much on FF. Much more than the old Nikkor 35/1.4, which still is smaller. The Zeiss is better though, but apparently not in every respect.
With the vignetting there's also a peciliar color cast to the corners, mainly at large apertures. Most of the time it won't be seen, but if you shoot for example a white building, it will clearly be seen.
There's also red CA towards the corners. Not evenly distributed, so correcting it in ACR gives either over correction in the far corners or under correction in mid frame. Not a great problem though.

An important thing is bokeh. It's a bit on the harsh side, but not worse than most 35 mm lenses. It gets better close up, and/or stopped down a bit.
Even more important is the transition from sharp to unsharp, and I have never seen something like what the Distagon produces here. Oh, except for the 35/2.8 Biogon that I've got for my M8. Zeiss again. The plane of sharpness just "melts" away into a very silky sort of "nowhere land" before the blur discs can actually be seen. Hard to explain, but I can't imagine how anyone could dislike it.

About the price. This is a cheap lens for what you get. It'll last a life time and you will not get anything as good for the same money, if speaking of new lenses.

Apr 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Makten to your Buddy List
snowboarder

Registered: Aug 27, 2004
Review Date: Apr 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: absolutely flawless
Cons:
nothing

As good as the amazing Zeiss 21 ZE, sometimes I think it's even better...
I used to own Canon 35L, it was good, but boring, never used it really.
I though I didn't like the 35 mm focal length...
Zeiss 35 ZE is in my bag ALWAYS, this + 21 ZE and 100MP ZE
are my holly trinity Smile

Apr 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add snowboarder to your Buddy List
philber

Registered: May 20, 2008

Pros: Tremendously sharp all the way from minimum focusing distance to infinity. Great colour and contrast. Considered the most consistently "3D" of all Zeiss lenses. Great build. Balances very well on a 5D MkII
Cons:
Still looking hard for any

The only lens I have owned, out of maybe 25, where I cannot find any even half-serious flaw. That, combined with its focal length, makes it a devastatingly effective walk-about lens, whether on FF or on crop. It is razor-sharp very close up and maintains this throughout, its rendition of colour has very strong contrast. Its "3D" prowess is unmatched. Only the comparison with its "big brother", the legendary 21 Distagon shows it to be very slightly on the clinical side of neutrality.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add philber to your Buddy List
surf monkey

Registered: May 23, 2005
Review Date: Apr 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $870.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and contrasty across the full frame at all apertures. Like the color and saturation. Excellent build quality.
Cons:
Some CA in the corners at small apertures in high contrast areas. Stiff focus ring.

This for the ZE version for Canon EOS.
After getting my new Canon 5Dmk2 I wanted a good prime walkaround lens. This fit the bill perfectly with the best IQ of all my lenses. I had reservations about manual focus, but with focus confirmation and a little practice, this became a non-factor. It actually has made me a better photographer.
Although I don't use this lens the most, it's so good that I try to figure out more ways to use it. I would love to complete my Zeiss collection with the ZE21, ZE50 MP and ZE100 MP. Once you start using these lenses there's no turning back.
Mechanically solid and quite heavy for such a compact lens. Beautifully constructed. The focus ring is excellent, but a bit tight with a long throw which is a good thing for precise control.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add surf monkey to your Buddy List
Ajay C

Registered: Apr 30, 2007
Review Date: Apr 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, color rendition, corner to corner performance
Cons:

Probably the best 35mm prime I have ever used. Good value to price ratio and color rendition is superb. If you are in the market for a 35mm prime, get it. No questions necessary !

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ajay C to your Buddy List
Mike M. Kraus

Registered: Jan 14, 2007

Pros: SHARP ! Image quality and zeiss look. A really great lens !
Cons:

I bought the 21 ze and and like it so much I got the 35 ze. The 35 has probably become my favorite lens. Its so sharp across the full frame and the pictures are fantastic. If you are thinking about this lens just go for it and you won't be sorry.
Hope to get more ze's and the manual focus is really no problem

Apr 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike M. Kraus to your Buddy List
nazdravanul

Registered: Jul 1, 2008
Location: Romania

Pros: Just like the 50 MP, this is the best 35 ever.
Cons:
Maybe some faint traces of CA here and there, but nothing really serious.

I hated the 35 FL but this particular lens makes me want to shoot there Smile . It is that good.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nazdravanul to your Buddy List
burningheart

Registered: Mar 20, 2005

Pros: Edge to edge sharpness, terrific color, well built
Cons:
Vignettes wide open, gone by F4

My first venture into Zeiss was a trio of ZF's 25 F2.8, 50 1.4 and 35 F2. The lens like all Zeiss is well built and has a nice feel to it. The focus is smooth accurate and hits infinity where is should.

The 35 soon became a mainstay in my kit and replaced my Canon 35L F1.4 for most shooting situations. The sharpness of the lens and colors it gives is just spectacular.

I don't see any noticable CA.

On my Fujifilm the colors really shine epecially when set to Landscape mode. Great contrast.

The only complaint I have is the vignetting wide open, but since I mainly use this as a landscape lens it is not an issue.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add burningheart to your Buddy List