Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

173 339058 Jul 7, 2014
ef300mmf_4_1_

Compact L-series telephoto lens with an Image Stabilizer which compensates for camera shake with the equivalent effect of a shutter speed two stops faster. Two Image Stabilizer modes are provided: Stabilizer Mode 1 (the same mode featured on the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM) and the new Stabilizer Mode 2 which steadies the image during horizontal or vertical panning. Mode 2 detects the panning direction automatically. The closest focusing distance is 4.9 feet (1.5 m).

Dajon

Registered: Jun 8, 2005
Review Date: Jun 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding optics! great build quality and IS works great!
Cons:
tripod collar does not come off while lens is mounted on camera

I love this lens!!!!!!!! I was able to borrow the non-IS 300f4L for 2 weeks before i got this lens and i thought the regular non IS 300f4L was good...well the IS version is better! I found the optical quality to be the same with the non IS version and the IS version except the IS version focuses down to 1.5M (4.9 feet) for great close ups of flowers etc. Also image stabilization works great and focusing is very fast. The IS does make some small buzzing nioses when its on but its not enough to scare away birds etc..

ive used a few 300f4 type lenses and i find the wieght and size to be average for this kind of lens. I thought long and hard between this one and the 100-400L but for me the fixed 300mm won me over.

Jun 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dajon to your Buddy List
CurtPick

Registered: Nov 21, 2004
Review Date: Jun 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Sharp, did I mention sharp ? Color and Contrast is like noting I have ever experienced. Semi Light weight. Fast ! Very exciting lens !
Cons:
Non as of yet

What can I say. I being a veteren of several Zoom lenses and always seeking out the best bang for the buck I think I just found it. This thing is amazing. The color, sharpness, and contrast make this one a no brainer ! I shot several shots once I recieved this gem and I can't go wrong ! The only drawback I could possibly see is that its a fixed focal length ( prime lens ), butr I can not see how they could ever get a lens to be so sharp if were anything but a prime. For an f/4 lens I was stunned at the accuaracy of focus, and simpy put, amazing results I am getting from this wonderful piece of glass. Now I just purchased the 1.4x, which the 20D gives me a 420mm zoom. Guess what, no noticeable picture degradation. People , if you hear any one thing I say hear this.

This lens , for the price is without a doubt the best piece of glass I have ever owned when it come to long focal length.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED !

Jun 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CurtPick to your Buddy List
mikegreenslade

Registered: Apr 6, 2005
Review Date: May 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly Sharp, IS, Not too heavy, Pull-out-Lens-Hood, fast focusing.
Cons:
Nothing

I have now owned this lens for 5wks, find it incredibly sharp and quick focusing with my 20D. A nice pullout lens hood aswell. Its my first IS lens and to be honest I dont find this function noisy, infact when I'm shooting I forget its ON. I use both 1 & 2 settings no problem. I have used this lens mainly to cover sports-Rugby and Cricket, which can be viewed on my website. I use a 1.4xTC with this lens if I need to get to 420mm. I handhold with the tripod bracket in the palm of my hand very comfortable, for 2-4hrs at a time(occasionably resting my hands of course:-) I almost went for the 100-400mm L IS but chose this lens as I read it was sharper-being a prime. I highly recomend this lens.

May 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mikegreenslade to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Apr 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light and compact
Cons:
IS is a little noisy

Just picked up this lens to supplement my 600 prime. This lens is amazing. It's as sharp as its bigger brother, the 300 f/2.8. AF is fast and quiet. Images from this lens is stunning. My only "complaint" about it is the IS is a little noisy when it kicks in. Other than that, the lens is superb. Here are some test shots taken with it this morning:

Apr 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
andy37

Registered: Aug 26, 2004

Pros: Build quality, speed of AF, sharp as a tack, IS makes shutter speeds as low as 1/50 possible with practice, not too heavy, great contrast
Cons:
Nothing as yet. Well apart from the prices here in the UK

Bought second-hand in mint condition from a UK seller. Hence the high price paid compared to US versions, (though a fair price for the UK market).

Short version:
I love this lens!

This is my first prime lens and also the first time I've used IS. So for me parting with cash was a bit of a gamble. All I had to go by was examples found on this forum and the reviews you'll no doubt read below.

IS is a great feature. I took several pictures today with ISO 200, f8, 1/50 of a second shutter speed. No way could I have done this without the IS.

I very much doubt I'll part with this lens unless of cause I need money to buy a new liver or lung.

It's an L lens so it's very high quality.
It's a prime so it's very sharp.
It has got IS so you can use it in poor light conditions

What more could you possibly want for that kind of money?

Buy one today!

Apr 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add andy37 to your Buddy List
ArcftSpotter

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Review Date: Apr 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality, constrast, weight, IS, build quality, everything!
Cons:
So far nothing! You can hear the IS but it doesn't bother me. Little expensive though.

I had a 75-300 III , sold that and got a 70-200 f/4L, had that for a week and realized it's too short, so I got this baby. It seems sharper than the 70-200 by alot and the IS also helps out alot. Will purchase the 1.4x II soon. Only hear great things about this lens, and I too, recommend this lens for anyone looking for a great telephoto prime. Sharp images, great, smooth bokeh, and it's even hand-holdable. Great lens!

Apr 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ArcftSpotter to your Buddy List
adydula

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Review Date: Apr 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding, Outstanding , Outstanding... Superb IS Great Bokeh Subject Isolation Capability
Cons:
Price...wish it was faster for the same money.

A wonderful, wonderful lens...

Isolates subjects, hand held shots at 1/60 etc not a real problem, IS is awesome..Beautiful color and wonderful bokeh. The IS makes you like a lens of 300mm length all the more...I dont know why i waited so long to get a lens like this. Close focusing distance is a big plus for me. Wonderful pseudo macro like pix are possible, flowers, butterfly shots are easy to do.

The lens is built lile a tank, and exudes Canon L Lens Quality.

Alex

Apr 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add adydula to your Buddy List
carojane

Registered: Feb 17, 2005
Review Date: Feb 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Easy to handle, great image quality, large (manual) focusing ring, lightweight
Cons:
the IS circuit seems noisy (a low-grade hiss), the lens hood is difficult to pull out and retract

I have just purchased this lens and it is impressive, being easy to carry and use. I have the 300mm F4 non IS lens which will soon be sold as long as the new lens performs (and I am sure it will). Watch this space and I will provide further info on the performance and comparison of these two lenses in the field under similar conditions.

What I am not happy about is the low-grade hissing noise made by the IS circuit once the shutter is depressed and which continues for three seconds after you release the shutter (whether you take a photo or not). Have I left my bacon under the grill, no it's just my lens hissing! Please could someone out there tell me if this is normal?

I am using this lens with the EOS Rebel (300D) and in fact I have just taken a test shot at one fifth of a second, hand-held in low (tungsten light) and the same shot with the non-IS lens (I took two of this for surety and tried to keep my hands steady). The results were amazing. The IS pic was good, the other very blurred. I will upload them both if I can find out how to do that.

The lens hood of the new lens is difficult to pull and push whereas the hood on the old lens just fell in & out as soon as you moved it!!

Feb 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add carojane to your Buddy List
thitran

Registered: May 5, 2004
Review Date: Feb 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS is amazing, sharp, contrast, built quality
Cons:
A little noisy with IS on and the hood does not operate smoothly

This is my first IS lens and it's simply amazing! Now I can take pictures at 1/13, 1/15 sec and still get very sharp, contrasty images. The lens is very well built and produces very sharp images. I can see why there are so many IS lens at sporting events. Now, I'm hook on Canon's IS lens!

I think that Canon should produce an 70-200 f4 IS for under $1000. That would be really nice.

Thi

Feb 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add thitran to your Buddy List
crnama

Registered: Jun 16, 2004
Review Date: Jan 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, IS, Focus Speed
Cons:
Slight noise when IS turns on.

I bought this lens to take bird pictures on a budget. I was using my 70-200 2.8 with a 2x TC, but the pictures are so much sharper with the 300 I will never go back. It is a great lens and I am very glad I bought it.

Jan 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add crnama to your Buddy List
rz22g

Registered: Jan 17, 2005
Review Date: Jan 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, Good Price, IS, USM, Built on hood and light weight.
Cons:
Some focus hunting

Purchased this one new for $950. This is the first L lens I have owned. I used the 300 F/4 L non IS and it is what got me to looking at this lens. I have not done any major critiquing concerning sharpness between the two versions but at standard viewing I see no advantage to either with IS disabled. Enable the IS version lens and you will see a difference, especially in low light. Even at higher shutter speeds the IS improves sharpness. I have not looked back since purchasing this lens. My only complaint is that you might run into some focus hunting in lower light conditions.

I almost purchased the 300 non IS used because I was not aware that an IS version had been made. I'm glad I found out about the IS version. My advise to anyone debating between the two is to go for the IS. You will use it and when your not you can disable it. The option is just not there for the Non IS version.

Not a great image by my first Raptor image with my new 300 L IS.

Jan 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rz22g to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Jan 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, sharp, sharp, good IS, fast focus in good light
Cons:
hunts in low light but once found it is awesome.

I use this for indoor sports and outdoor sports. great for the long reach. Is is good too. I use the pan IS when shooting indoor hockey to get some cool shots. Wish I would have had the money for the 2.8 version, but this one is great.

Jan 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
oshun

Registered: Oct 26, 2004
Review Date: Dec 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,067.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp as a tack , excellent contrast , color and background blur . IS modes work really well , excellent built in hood. Works really well with the 1.4x EF extender .
Cons:

This lens resides on my camera when going to the Everglades .
It is relatively light for a 300mm and focuses very fast on my 10d .
As good as my 70-200mm F4l is , I can see myself buying more primes if the quality is anything like this lens .
Here are two pictures of birds taken recently at the Everglades national park .

Dec 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oshun to your Buddy List
gmcfly

Registered: May 9, 2003
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Dec 23, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size and weight, image quality, IS, build quality (good hood and tripod mount) close focus distance.
Cons:
AF not so fast.

Very nice lens.
My first IS lens, and I really like it!

Dec 23, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gmcfly to your Buddy List
doctordoom16

Registered: Dec 13, 2004
Review Date: Dec 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, retracable hood is perfect, IS works very good in low light, Fast AF (on 20D), sharp pictures, great bokeh, color/contrast.
Cons:

I was torn between this and the 100-400, but due to my positive experience with the 135 f/2, i went with the prime. i could not afford the 300 f/2.8, and i am very satisfied with this lense. The build quality is excellent, the AF is fast, the bokeh is amazing (not as nice as the 135 f/2, but close). I miss the 2.8, but the IS and the 20D's clean higher ISO makes up for it. I shot on a very overcast day w/ the 1.4x tele at ISO 800 and 1/250 sec to capture some soccer action, and the pictures were very good. I will say the AF hunts alot with the 1.4 tele in lower light, but some prefocising helps. This lense is a great addition to any photo nuts collection. If you need a zoom, get the 100-400, if you find yourself shooting the zoom at 400 all the time, like i do, you should save the $400 and get this lense and the 1.4x tele for the optical performance.

Dec 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add doctordoom16 to your Buddy List
Cedric_g

Registered: Jan 13, 2004
Review Date: Nov 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,207.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good sharpness, maniability, IS, quality : the ideal lens for wildlife photography in approach !
Cons:
May be a little sharper, like the non IS version ?...

I have longer hesitated between this lens and the 100-400 L IS USM zoom, to replace my Sigma 135-400mm... But I wanted too a more luminous lens, so my choice was the 300/4 L IS USM !

I don't regret now, because I worked only at 400mm with my old 135-400, and primes are of better quality globaly than zooms.

The sharpness is really good, increasing when stop down ; may be a little sharper (like the non IS version) ?... ;-)

In maniability ? The best !!! Not too heavy, not too long, IS, luminous aperture, 1.50 meter working distance... All points are positive !

Some pics for testing my lens (crops, fullsize pics) : http://www.pbase.com/cedric_g/canon_300mm_f40_l_is_usm

Nov 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Cedric_g to your Buddy List

Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM