Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

173 335550 Jul 7, 2014
ef300mmf_4_1_

Compact L-series telephoto lens with an Image Stabilizer which compensates for camera shake with the equivalent effect of a shutter speed two stops faster. Two Image Stabilizer modes are provided: Stabilizer Mode 1 (the same mode featured on the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM) and the new Stabilizer Mode 2 which steadies the image during horizontal or vertical panning. Mode 2 detects the panning direction automatically. The closest focusing distance is 4.9 feet (1.5 m).

Daguerre999

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Nov 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP! Light(ish). AF fast even on my EOS 5. Great colour and SHARP! IS very helpful for my kind of shooting (see below). Decent macro.
Cons:
Some hunting in very low light but my 70-200 2.8 does as well.

I shoot mainly wildlife and macro. This lens is perfect for a twilight stroll through tight bush. Long enough to let me stay hidden and small enough it doesn't snag on every tree and shrub. IS lets me leave the tripod in the car and its not as noisy as my 28-135. Though it can hunt in very low light, I tend to pre-focus then tap it home at the last moment. I stuck a 10x close-up lens on it and was very surprised at the quality. HIGHLY recommended for wildlife snappers who work in close quarters or as an all-rounder for anyone not wanting to lug an f2.ache around all day. Until the 200mm 1.8 fairy shows up at my door, this'll be my lens of choice for most evening outings.

Nov 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Daguerre999 to your Buddy List
jhsymington

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, relatively light, IS, built-in lens hood.
Cons:

I cannot fault the results I get from this lens (landscapes almost exclusively). It is also well made and balances well on big SLRs like the 1Ds Mark II on the rare occasions I use it handheld. Thoroughly recommended.

Nov 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jhsymington to your Buddy List
jimyd

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: lightwieght, fast focus, IS, built in hood.
Cons:
f4

Brilliant lens. Have had the 300 f2.8 for a while now, but I find this lens gets more use...its lighter, very very sharp and easy to handle. It doesnt take to the converters as well as the 2.8, but what do you want for a fraction of the price?

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimyd to your Buddy List
robin109

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The lens is razor sharp! cuts like a knife even when wide open, AF is fast and the IS works beautifully, nice built in hood.
Cons:
None,

I bought this lens way back in 1999, when it was still a fairly new concept to have IS. It was what I'd been waiting for , for a long time, cost a fortune at the time. But wow the results were superb! I'd never had a L glass before what a revelation. Contrast is top notch and with the IS it's so versatile.
I also bought a EF 1.4 converter to go with it and the combination means I can shoot most distant objects with ease.
I like shooting at airshows of old piston aeroplanes and the hand holding with IS at 1/160 to get propeller blur is essential.

Had the lens for over 6 years and I'll never sell it - wondeful

Nov 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add robin109 to your Buddy List
jmauro

Registered: Sep 19, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast dead silent AF, VERY sharp, IS
Cons:
Only f/4, very limited indoor ability

Purchased this lens a few weeks ago with high hopes, and thankfully it came through for me. Great telephoto lens for the photographer who cannot afford the expensive f/2.8's out there. Built in hood works very well, once extended, rotate it to lock and there are no issues at all!

Lighter than a 70-200 f/2.8L, but still not exactly 'walk around weight'.

This is my first L and IS lens, and it has made me a firm believer in both!

Oct 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jmauro to your Buddy List
ptnik

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small and light, super sharp, IS, very usuable lens.
Cons:

I use this 9 out of ten times and I USE THE 300 F2.8 only once in ten times. Its lighter just as sharp...well my clients cannot tell the diferrence...and its handholdeable ALL day long.

Oct 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ptnik to your Buddy List
maximage

Registered: Jan 24, 2005
Review Date: Oct 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great image quality. Fast AF. IS works very well. Light weight compared to 2.8 version. Built-in hood very handy.
Cons:
Tripod ring is not very smooth. Doesn't have markings on lens body to align the lens with tripod ring. Lens' white color screams 'expensive photo gear come and get me'.

The 'Big gun' for those who don't want to carry 6+ lbs or don't want to spend $4k. A great performer. Image is sharp and contrasty. Not a 'dog' like some websites called it at all. works very well with 1.4X TC as well. IS is very effective. Got tack sharp photos handheld at 1/30s.

Wish it has the updated IS so it can be used on tripod. IS has a louder (not really loud) noise than new IS lenses. Not weather sealed. Tripod ring isn't very smooth. Doesn't have markings on the body to align the tripod ring.

Oct 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maximage to your Buddy List
Perdu

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Sep 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, contrast, bokeh, ergomonics, IS, F4, 4.9 foot (1.5m) focusing
Cons:
Not a zoom, AF can hunt if you are going from macro to distance

I have owned this lens for four weeks. If I can, I will update the review in several months.

This lens does a bit of everything:

- close wildlife
- large macro
- sports
- candid portrature

The ergomonics of this lens are very good:

- 2.6lbs
- not nose heavy, good balance on my 10D
- easy to hand hold
- huge focusing ring
- built in metal hood (saves space, lets you put on filters)

It has excellent contrast, color and Bokeh, and it's sharp. Metering is very good with my 10D.

What I like most about this lens is the IS combined with its ergomonics make it very easy to get good photo's out of this lens without having to work at it.

AF is fast, but would be faster on a pro body. AF can get confused becuase of the huge focusing range. I take no chances and pre-focus. I've missed a few shots because my last shot was close in and the shot I want is much further away. No big deal, but be aware of it.

The 100-400L is more versitle, the 400 f5.6 has faster AF and is said to be sharper, but there's something about this lens. For starters it's F4. For a prime, its a great all rounder and creates excellent results.

Sep 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Perdu to your Buddy List
konkrete

Registered: Aug 9, 2005
Review Date: Sep 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, image stabilization, excellent optics, relatively light weight, sure-footed focus, close focus capability...superb overall value.
Cons:
Slightly noisy first generation image stabilization. Not a 2.8...but it's not that much of an issue with the IS and low noise digital sensors.

I love this lens. Crisp, detailed images with very good color and contrast. Image stabilization makes good hand held shots possible. I just did a hummingbird series and it would have been quite difficult to accomplish without the IS.

Another great aspect of this lens is that it doubles as a near macro lens. You can focus at under 5 feet.

Highly recommended and one of the best values out there.

Sep 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add konkrete to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Aug 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, SUPER sharp, IS, fairly inexpensive for such a great lens. Love the white, very well built and love the built in hood. Best of all it works great with the Canon 1.4 II still sharp as a tack with great color and contrast.
Cons:
Non except it is a little noisy but we all know that

I just bought this lens about a month and a half ago and of all my L lenses I have owned it is the best. That includes my 70-200 f/2.8 and the 100-400 IS I sold awhile back. I would highly recommend this lens

Aug 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
ollram

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Location: Estonia
Review Date: Aug 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, decent price, 'white"
Cons:

A great lens at affordable price! Get it new or used!
Crisp photos! Great to be used with 1.4x extender as well

i used to have the EF 75-300 f4-5.6 IS, well its like comparing day with night!

recommended

Aug 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ollram to your Buddy List
euro

Registered: Sep 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, quick af, decent price
Cons:
no is, f/4

overall this is a solid lens. I borowed this lens to shoot some baseball and i am pretty impressed. AF is quiet and fast, lens hood helps when its bright out. I didnt notice any lens flare either. The only downside is its f/4 and no IS which can effect how your pictures come out when your hand holding in places that arent well lit. Other then that there really is nothing to complain about this lens is super sharp and i think a pretty good price when you consider what you get. I definately recommend this lens to any photo enthusist that doesnt have the money for pro equipment.

Jul 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add euro to your Buddy List
mblome

Registered: Oct 10, 2004
Review Date: Jul 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open, SUPER sharp by 5.6, lens hood, awesome semi macro
Cons:
Auto focus isnt as good as the 400 5.6

It is the flexibility of this lens that amazes me... having an amazing 300 F4 IS prime...and a very good 420 5.6 with TC... and a lense that is competent for semi-macro work...all in a small package... i have shot football, surfing, wildlife, flowers people.... this lens is a one man band

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Jul 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mblome to your Buddy List
Duane E

Registered: Jul 6, 2004
Review Date: Jul 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, L-glass quality, built in hood, IS, price is a bargain!
Cons:
NONE AT ALL!

Great lens at a good price! Very, very sharp and works great with the 1.4X converter. IS is very useful for handheld shots. This lens exceeds my expectations, what a great bargain for a 300mm prime, and it's a Canon!!!!

Jul 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Duane E to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Jul 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, Light, sharp as sharp can be, beautiful bokeh, very nice colour rendition, IS
Cons:
apart from the slight noise from the IS, this lens is perfect in every way.

I just sold both my Canon300f2.8L and my Sigma120-300f2.8,
Normally I would miss the extra stop, howeverwith the great high iso performance of modern day DLSR's not an issue. The lens is just as sharp as its big brother, almost half its size and weight....which makes this lens very usuable and handholdable. I cannot fault this lens it is absolutely superb. Birds, sports, fashion...the list goes on.

Jul 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
dmc5

Registered: Feb 12, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent macro capability, sharp, good IS, fast autofocus
Cons:
Seemed a little less sharp with the 1.4x on the 20D, but perhaps an artifact of handholding at 420mm effective.

I was quite taken aback by the first class macro abilities of this lens, I wasn't really expecting it. A couple of close-ups from its first weekend at http://dmc5.com/pacifictreefrog.jpg and http://dmc5.com/blueishcrab.jpg, both f/8 ISO 200 handheld IS & AF on, 1/160s for the frog, and 1/250s for the crab. Poor images that same day came from trying to take pictures of an offshore kelp bed's wildlife with the 1.4x that a 1200mm would have had trouble with - a long lens it's not.

Jun 13, 2005