Canon Rebel T2i DSLR

16 36209 Feb 13, 2011
Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i_01

* 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor and DIGIC 4 Image Processor for high image quality and speed.
* ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12800) for shooting from bright to dim light.
* Improved EOS Movie mode with manual exposure control, expanded recording, new Movie Crop recording in 640 x 480 and external microphone IN terminal for access to improved sound quality.
* Enhanced iFCL 63-zone, Dual-layer metering system; and 9-point AF system utilizing a high-precision, f/2.8 cross-type center point.
* Wide 3.0-inch (3:2 aspect ratio) Clear View LCD monitor (1.04 million dots) for improved viewing.
* New Quick Control Screen button for easy access to frequently used settings.
* Improved layout with dedicated Live View/Movie shooting button.
* New compatibility with SDXC memory cards, plus new menu status indicator for Eye-Fi* support.
* 3.7 fps continuous shooting up to approximately 34 JPEGs or approximately 6 RAW.
* Compatible with the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses.

godfreyz

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Review Date: Feb 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $687.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing IQ. Very light and very similar in function to my 7D.
Cons:
A smaller camera for those who have large hands. Wish it was a bit bulkier.

Seems to have most of the functions that are on my 7D. Pics straight from the camera are very sharp without any sharpening applied. A great carry around, light weight camera although not as robust as other models (40D, 7D, 5Dii etc).

Feb 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add godfreyz to your Buddy List
aVOLanche

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: Jan 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality Improved ergonomics small and light,but sturdy
Cons:
cost fps

Best small body available.

Jan 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aVOLanche to your Buddy List
AmbientMike

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: Dec 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $749.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast accurate af, great iq , it is quite compact which could be good, high iso's, pro quality video
Cons:
5 shot buffer in raw, large file size, focusing may be tough in video, might be tough to get pro quality sound in video

Great camera, recently tested one purchased by a realtive. Sharper than 40d in raw. Af seemed fast and accurate. Kit lens was very sharp and a good one for this and other aps cameras. Very light and compact. Nice lcd. Iso goes to 12,800, although you will get some noise. Only gripes are 5 shot buffer (in raw, more in jpeg) and large file size, which is to be expected with 18 mp. This camera will probably be used for movies in Hollywood, video should be great! May be tough to get pro quality sound out of this and other dslr's, though. Also I don't think this has af in video, which could be difficult.

Dec 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AmbientMike to your Buddy List
WiredMike

Registered: Aug 18, 2010
Review Date: Aug 31, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $849.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent camera for those wanting to move up from a point and shoot camera. Couple this thing with a nice 28-270 lens and your ready to go for almost any situation.
Cons:
I have large hands and find myself hitting the wrong buttons at times. I have since added the battery pack and it feels much more comfortable. The crappy cannon neck strap. Replaced it with a Black Viper two weeks after I bought the camera.

I am a new photographer moving up from a point and shoot camera. Read so many reviews on this camera and spoke to many friends and they all said this is the entry level camera to go for. I caught the last one sitting on the shelf at a local retailer and bought it.
Have not regreted it since.
If you are looking to step up from a point and shoot then this is the camera you want to buy.
I love it!

Aug 31, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add WiredMike to your Buddy List
karelg

Registered: Dec 12, 2004
Location: Albania
Review Date: Aug 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Excellent files @ ISO 100, very good files @ ISO 200. Superb detail, amazing what you can pull out of the shadows. Very good user interface, very good screen, live view very useful for focusing manual focus lenses, I do not miss the top LCD screen and the wheel at the back at all. Build quality is not bad, small size and weight are a plus when hiking.
Cons:
Luminance noise starts to kick in @ ISO 200, especially blue skies. Chroma noise starts to kicks in @ ISO 400 in the shadows. From ISO 400 and up fine detail, contrast and tonal range is lost very fast. Yet on the other hand it is amazing what can be done @ ISO 6400 @ small sizes. Personally, for nature/landscape/architecture I consider ISO 400 for emergencies: cannot leave the tripod at home. Any ISO 800 or higher only if the aim is small prints or web use, and when the mood of the scene "demands" it, like concert photography. Relatively high shutter speeds are required to avoid motion blur due to small pixels. On-chip stabilization would be a big plus here. Huge RAW files (22-32 MBytes).

I have very mixed feelings about this camera. On one hand It can deliver stunning results @ISO 100 and ISO 200 IF you use high enough shutter speeds.
On the other hand images at ISO 400 and above look like they came from a P&S very easily. (yes, even with highest quality glass like Zeiss 35/2 and Canon 100 L IS macro from tripod). On the other hand it can produce results in the near dark IF you view and print quite small.
I am a firm believer in the results DXOmark produces under Signal to Noise ratio and Tonal Range (screen) for 20D (my old camera), the 550 D and e.g. the Nikon 700D. I definitely think Canon went way over the top by cramming 18 mega pixels on the sensor.
(http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/281|0/%28appareil2%29/645|0/%28appareil3%29/441|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Canon/%28brand3%29/Nikon)

Buying the 550D still makes sense if you are aware of it's limitations. Plus in 4-6 years it will be obsolete anyway, so invest in glass, not camera's. Considering the 20D was 1450 Euro's six years ago and the 550D now is 640, that is quite an amazing progress.

Aug 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add karelg to your Buddy List
Travelshooter

Registered: Aug 4, 2010
Review Date: Aug 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $849.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lighter easy to carry smaller size dSLR for trips and travel. Not quite the richness of color and detail of the 5DMKII but astonishing resolution and performance for the $$. Easily exceeds expectations anywhere near the price mark.
Cons:
None found yet ....

Intend to use this as a travel SLR for international travel so size and weight are important, or the 5DMKII would be going. This camera with the 15-85 is about 1/2 the weight in grams of the 5DMKII with the 24-105 L making it much easier to carry around all day. Three lens kit of 10-22, 15-85 and 70-300 DO covers the equivalent FF range of 16-480 mm. Have about 1500 test images and am very pleased with results through LR3 shooting raw only.

Aug 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Travelshooter to your Buddy List
GordyInMa

Registered: Jun 12, 2004
Review Date: Jul 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 3" LCD at over 1million dots; High ISO with minimal noise; Improvement in overall feel while handling; Better Autofocus; new sensor has much better resolution. The quality of my phots are drawtically improved over the 450D's! My previous Canon was the 450D and it didn't have video; very impressed with the video quality.
Cons:
Live View is clutsy and when using it, the overall quality of photos, especially focus is unacceptable. I won't use live view.

My first digital SLR was the Canon 350D and I haven't looked back. Since then I upgraded to the 450D and just recently the 550D. I have been extremely happy with each upgrade and I'm just getting used to all of the features of the 550D. All I can say is: "Two Thumbs Up"

Jul 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GordyInMa to your Buddy List
siberslug

Registered: Jan 24, 2009
Review Date: Jul 9, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.99 | Rating: 8

Pros: Gorgeous LCD display, sharper than my 7D, HD video,
Cons:
A bit to small, more noise than my 7D, No micro AF adjustment

For a cropped sensor the image quality is good but not great.
The 7D has better IQ because the 7D has less noise and better color saturation.
The T2i seems to produce sharper pictures and videos, but in moderate to low light situations the 7D does a better job.
Noise seems to start coming in at ISO 200 in some condition but at ISO 400 you notice it, it's not that bad unless you have to crop the pic,
It's a great camera if your on a budget.
I bought this to back up my 7D but ended up selling it because the IQ difference was just to big for me , this was especially noticeable while shooting weddings inside churches.

Jul 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add siberslug to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Jun 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $725.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small size, brilliant image quality, speed of use, all the functions you could ever need
Cons:
Needs good lenses

This purchase was as an upgrade to my much-loved 450D, which I used on holiday and as a light-weight companion.

In the few years since the 450D came out things really have moved on, this new camera is a joy.

Fantastic image quality (for a cropped sensor) combined with a superb LCD rear screen, a Q button so you can now change settings on the rear and much better focusing and exposure.

Live view focusing is now very fast and the menu design is vastly improved

I understand it shoots video too, which I will never use

Although it's still rather overpriced over here it's a superb piece of kit if you want a small bodied dslr.

Jun 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
betoooo

Registered: Jun 5, 2010
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jun 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome IQ, Low noise high iso. HD video.
Cons:
No IR for low light focus

Jun 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add betoooo to your Buddy List
michsyw

Registered: Aug 2, 2009
Review Date: May 16, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Easy to Handle, good layout of all the controls. Beautiful LCD. Good autofocus, even in low light.
Cons:
The buttons are relatively shallow but not small, and if you have think fingers, can be a little tricky to press. Nothing else!

Been using it for almost a month, and what a joy to carry it around and really taking pictures instead of thinking about ISO, WB...etc. It's a camera for both amateurs and pros, or anyone in between. IMHO, the biggest improvement is auto ISO. Canon finally got it right!! Oh yeah, and the 63zone metering too.

The picture quality is hard to beat. I am never a big fan of high pixel cameras. The last one I had was a 6MP D40 which I used for 2+ years, and I was making 8x10 prints out of that one without any trouble. So I was a little reluctant to buy into this 18MP ordeal. However, was I ever happy to make the change! The high pixel pictures give me more freedom to crop without losing quality. High ISO(1600+) images are quite usable too. Of course, I would suggest better lens to make full use of all those pixels. That aside, I found the kit lens to be really versatile and fun to use! Did I mention how light it is? And IS is as good as you can get from all the other expensive canon IS lenses.

The build quality leaves a little room for improvement. The buttons are shallow and can be tricky sometimes, especially the Play and Delete buttons. If you don't have think fingers like me, you shouldn't have any trouble. The camera is light, with the kit lens on, it kind of feels like a toy in my hand (I have fairly large hands btw). Just like all the cameras in this price range. But I guess I wont be complaining about it being "too light" after a day hike.

This is a camera that gives you confidence. It makes you just want to go out and take pictures, and videos! For $900, there's none better.

May 16, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add michsyw to your Buddy List
ghudspeth

Registered: Jan 15, 2005
Review Date: May 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $849.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: screen, resolution/overall image quality, video, features, build, value
Cons:

Bought an XT in 2004, and XTi in 2006, and now the T2i in 2010. Wasn't sure that I really wanted to upgrade. I mean, what's really the difference between 10MP and 18MP, right? And who cares that it shoots video?!? Seemed kind of gimmicky, and I already have a standard resolution video camera using miniDV tapes, also bought in 2006. I figured it would be just dropping ca. $900 to say I had the latest tech.

Well, I was WRONG! The T2i is outstanding and awe-inspiring. The upgrade from the XTi is well worth it. I really can't say enough good things about the image and video quality. You really just have to see it to believe it. And I don't feel the need anymore to offload the pics to get a good view of them since the LCD is so big and bright. I don't mind storing them on the camera until needed for other purposes, carrying it around and showing off my beautiful pics and videos to everyone. Two 16GB SDHC cards are plenty of storage.

I really like the new 63-zone metering system inherited from the 7D. It's really hard to take a poorly exposed shot anymore, but I'll keep trying because it's so much fun! Autofocus works fantastic, too. Of course, composing a shot is and has always been up to the photographer. Don't look to any camera to do that for you.

Before buying, I saw some negative reviews regarding build/size and video. Let me just say that, although I've never used a metal-bodied camera like the 7D, I have nothing to complain about regarding the build or the size of the T2i. The camera is plenty rugged enough outside of taking it on a safari or through the everglades (although I don't why it wouldn't withstand that with enough protection), and it's plenty big enough even for my largish man-hands. I do have a battery grip on order, more for having two batteries on-board with extended battery life than for the size bonus.

Finally, regarding the video: good-bye old video camera. I've seen reviews questioning why you'd want to have video capability in your SLR, whether you'd really use it, and how ineffective they are because you have to accessorize them so heavily to get quality results. All of these evaluations are irrelevant to a NON-PROFESSIONAL film-maker. The T2i is a perfectly exceptional and convenient replacement for any dedicated video camera, and the video quality is superb--better than my dad's new dedicated SONY HD handi-cam that cost approximately the same as my T2i. It is perfect for family & vacation movies and anything else the non-professional would do with it. And, as has been shown by the number of professionals adopting them, DSLRs are quite capable even for professionals with the proper outfit.

I will also say that focusing with video isn't the bear that I've read about or expected. The camera will autofocus for you both before you press the RECORD button, as well as during the filming, if you so desire. Some might say it's slow, but it's no slower than any of the handi-cams I've ever used. Again, this is something that is only relevant to a professional user. There's always manual focusing, too, which isn't hard--no loupe needed. Of course I grew up with a manual-focused 35mm camera. We didn't have autofocus back then (that anyone could afford or that worked worth a damn), and ETTL had just come into wide-spread useage.

I really can't say enough good things about this T2i. I don't regret the purchase at all. It's a very worthy upgrade, certainly from any point-and-shoot, definitely from XTi/XS/XSi, and probably also from the T1i. Very enjoyable camera that makes you run around taking pictures of EVERYTHING once again. That alone is worth the money!

May 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ghudspeth to your Buddy List
pumbaa

Registered: Mar 18, 2007
Review Date: Apr 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

This 550D is my new toy which makes me forget my 5D. It is light weight but robust enough for daily use. The sensation I have right now is very similar to what I feel when I first got my first DSLR the Digital Rebel. This 550D has almost everything I need: good resolution, good dynamic, reliable light metering, superb LCD, quite good AF and HD video function is just amazing. Phase AF is so reliable and precise even in low light conditions. If this baby has the AF of the 7D then it would be the perfect DSLR for daily/travel purposes.

The kit lens 18-55IS is surprisingly good, its resolution is up to L level, IS works great, It only lacks the magical color rendering of L lens.

Please take a look how good the kit lens is at wide open and the capabilities in recording HD video:

Pumbaa32.com /sample/550D.jpg
www.Pumbaa32.com

This camera will sure be the best seller of this year!

Apr 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pumbaa to your Buddy List
johneasterly

Registered: Sep 4, 2008
Review Date: Apr 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Features, Price
Cons:

I have had all of the Rebel Series and this one is by far the best performer yet for the price. Using the BG grip lets me handle it with ease, I find it to be a top notch performer in it's intended price point. Far exceeding a couple of higher priced models to boot.

Apr 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johneasterly to your Buddy List
rossindof

Registered: Mar 29, 2010
Review Date: Mar 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: High quality images, Great value, professional feel
Cons:

Being new to DSLR's I purchased the T2i kit. I have some previous experience with an SLR from a few years back(Canon Rebel G). The advances from that camera are pretty amazing. I have had this camera for about 3 weeks now and am very pleased with it.

From the pictures I have taken so far I've been very pleased with the vivid colors that the camera captures and have had nothing but great photos even at high ISO.

I feel like this is a great value especially with the Full HD movie mode. With a growing family having a great camera was a neccessity and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Mar 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rossindof to your Buddy List
Allan Gobin

Registered: Jun 17, 2007
Review Date: Mar 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

First, I have an extensive background in both photography and video. I was looking for a smaller camera to carry around that could also shoot video. When I heard about this one I thought it would be perfect and it is good, very good BUT its does have its issues... I will try to keep this short and to the point.

Pros:

1. Superb image quality in both photos and video.
You don't need to worry about this.

2. Amazingly, the 18-55 kit lens turned out to be remarkably good. How good?
Well, within the center area of the frame its as good as any L-lens out there.
The average person would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Now, that's damn good for what it is!
Where it begins to break down is in corners detail but this is to be expected.
The focusing is also too noisy to use for video, IF you are recording sound.

UPDATE: if you are looking to upgrade the lens, I can recommended the Canon 15-85 IS highly!

3. The built in mic is also very good. Even on regular video cameras this is almost a universal weakness.

4. Light weight compared to the higher end Canon bodies.

Cons:

1. This is my biggest problem. I personally find the small body a lot more difficult to handle than the larger
Canon cameras we have. Maybe I am just use to the larger bodies but they are a lot more natural and easier
to work with. If you shoot pro or semi pro get the 7D just for this reason. The battery grip will help.
I have small hands so I hate to think how it would feel with someone that has large hands. I would highly recommend
you go somewhere and play with the T1i just to see how it feels in your hands.

UPDATE: The BG-E8 battery grip makes a big difference in this regard!

2. My 2nd big disappointment is the video. The video quality is superb this is not the issue. Where the problem lies
is in actually using the camera as a video camera. It has two big problems in this regard: the manual zoom and lack
of auto focus. It is practically impossible to hold the camera steady and do a smooth zoom in or out. Panning and zooming
at the same time is almost impossible. A regular video camera have electronic zoom controls that allows you to zoom
in and out very smoothly. The other problem is lack of auto focus. Sure you can refocus manually but again very difficult
to hold the camera steady and focus. Using the camera auto focus in video mode is possible but its really slow and
the mic will pick up the noise from the lens as it hunts for the focus. For me, this means, the camera is more useful
for recording short video clips not a full video shoot e.g. shooting a whole wedding. I don't feel it can replace a regular
video camera as yet.

UPDATE: the video can work for the most part, IF you shoot with the intent of editing the final video. A SLR will require
a bit more post production work than a regular video camera but the video quality will be superior.

3. If you are use to the Pentaprism viewfinder in the higher end Canon bodies you will find the one in this one darker and
not as clear. Its a little thing that the average person won't notice but again, if you are going to take a lot of photos
it makes a difference.

One final note, for some reason, only the VLC player was able to play back the video files smoothly.

If you can live with the Cons. Its a great camera that offers image quality comparable to any high end Canon model.

Mar 14, 2010