Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor

19 51074 Apr 14, 2016
pic_001

* AF-S 50mm lens a fast, single-focal-length lens with normal picture angle (when attached to a DX-format SLR, the picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of 75mm in FX/35mm format).
* Large maximum aperture of f/1.4.
* Well-balanced design realizes both high MTF performance and natural-looking picture blur.
* Newly developed optical system effectively corrects sagittal coma flare and coma aberration.
* Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures smooth, quiet AF operation.
* Two focus modes are available M/A (manual-priority autofocus) and M (manual focus).
* Focus ring does not rotate in AF operation.
* Natural blur effects thanks to nine-blade rounded diaphragm.
* Although all lens groups shift during focusing, the lens barrel length does not change.

f/Stop Range 1.4-16
Minimum Focus Distance 1.5' (0.45 m)
Magnification 1:6.8
Length 2.1" (54mm)
Maximum Diameter 2.9" (74mm)
Weight 9.9 oz (280g)

Page:  1 · 2

Anxo

Registered: Jul 3, 2008
Review Date: Nov 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It is a lightweight, robust and well-house made, at a good price. It is very balanced in performance, clarity and selective approach.
Cons:
They say it's a bit slow, but on my D700 I'm fast enough autoenfocar people moving efficiently.

I used the old 50mm AFD, who say the new faster and mounted on my D700 I'm fast enough autoenfocar people moving efficiently. I compared pictures in the same space with the 1.2 AI-S and is just as bright, maybe for being a slow largest, with 58mm. All its features I think are good and more with the cheap price it has. I carry it always in my bag is light and bright, and always surprises me with excellent photos.

Nov 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Anxo to your Buddy List
AdrianGB

Registered: Jul 9, 2006
Review Date: Nov 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: accurate focus, good build, handles well on d700, sharpens nicely at f1.8-2 but still good at f1.4, nice bokeh
Cons:
not fast AF, but very deliberate.

I was slightly concerned about buying because of reports complaining of slow AF, and poor bokeh.

The AF is not as fast as some AFS lens but it is very accurate. It suits my pace of photography, and locks on nicely to people even in low light. No complaints there - but if you should fast moving sports it might not be the lens for you.

Bokeh is really good. I have read a lot of complaints, but my images are coming out with smooth near round highlights, that are clean and incredibly pleasing. The nine rounded aperture blades really do their stuff.

I use the lens for outdoor night photography, and for general walk arounds. It is nice, light and compact on a d700 - It is absolutely perfect. All I need now is for Nikon to do a 35mm AFS lens and I'll be in clover.

Nov 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AdrianGB to your Buddy List
Kittyk

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Review Date: Oct 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp wide open, very little CA, nice bokeh.
Cons:
flares lot but they are nice - if you learn them, you can exploit them, slow AF, hunts in low light.

pic is of AF-S 60micro btw.

it is good replacement of old 50er but i was hoping for a bit more. Especially for two reasons:

1) 50 1.8 is so good so they could stretch it a bit even at bigger expense (nano coat, faster af?).

2) FX is well established and therefor 50mm makes sense again.

I recommend it to everybody who dont have any 1.4 or uses FX. If you have old 1.4 50mm, dont bother.

Oct 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kittyk to your Buddy List

Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor