Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor

20 53536 Jul 5, 2017
pic_001

* AF-S 50mm lens a fast, single-focal-length lens with normal picture angle (when attached to a DX-format SLR, the picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of 75mm in FX/35mm format).
* Large maximum aperture of f/1.4.
* Well-balanced design realizes both high MTF performance and natural-looking picture blur.
* Newly developed optical system effectively corrects sagittal coma flare and coma aberration.
* Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures smooth, quiet AF operation.
* Two focus modes are available M/A (manual-priority autofocus) and M (manual focus).
* Focus ring does not rotate in AF operation.
* Natural blur effects thanks to nine-blade rounded diaphragm.
* Although all lens groups shift during focusing, the lens barrel length does not change.

f/Stop Range 1.4-16
Minimum Focus Distance 1.5' (0.45 m)
Magnification 1:6.8
Length 2.1" (54mm)
Maximum Diameter 2.9" (74mm)
Weight 9.9 oz (280g)

Page:  1 · 2

wcl4

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Dec 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $365.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open. Not overly expensive.
Cons:
Some lateral CA. May require AF adjustment.

Having started with Nikon, then moving to Canon (full frame 5D) for a few years, and now back to Nikon again (D700), I have found the Nikon 50 1.4G AFS a nice change from the incredibly expensive L primes.

I've owned the Canon 50 1.4 and the Canon 50 1.2 and I prefer this lens to those two. The Nikon 50G has a nice build quality, not as nice as the 50 1.2 from Canon, but certainly nicer than the Canon 50 1.4. What I love about this lens is that it is sharper at 1.4, better contrast, saturation, overall coloration than the Canon equivalent. It's even sharper than the Canon 50L although the color rendition is not quite as nice, but fixable in post. And the kicker is it's 1/3 the price of the 50L. So though ~$400 isn't exactly cheap, compared to $1350 from Canon, it's a steal. I really didn't like the Canon 50 1.4 - it was soft wide open and the contrast was horrible. To me, the reason I buy these wide open primes is to do exactly that - use them wide open.

When I received this lens, I was pleasantly surprised by it's build quality. It doesn't have the cheap plasticky feel of some of the Nikon primes. It has a nice textured feel to the body. I've also bought the 35mm f2D and the 85 1.4D. The build of this falls closer to the 35.

On the D700, the proportions of the lens feels balanced on the body. It doesn't look disporportionately small like the 35 and not over large. The first shot I took at 1.4 was a little soft, but after spending some time with the AF fine tune, the lens is now tack sharp wide open. The bokeh on this lens has been impressive. I really like the look of the wide open shots. As I mentioned before, the saturation and contrast could be a little better like my 24-70 and 70-200mm VR II, but then again, it's a fraction of the price, and it is something I don't mind bumping up in post.

Overall I have been quite happy returning to Nikon. For the price of the 85mm 1.2L, I have purchased the 35 f2, the 50G, and the 85 1.4. Take note Canon how to make a nice lens without breaking the bank. I would highly recommend this lens and have no qualms about spending the extra money over the 50D based on build quality alone.

Overall I am quite pleased to be back with Nikon

Dec 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wcl4 to your Buddy List
Anxo

Registered: Jul 3, 2008
Review Date: Nov 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It is a lightweight, robust and well-house made, at a good price. It is very balanced in performance, clarity and selective approach.
Cons:
They say it's a bit slow, but on my D700 I'm fast enough autoenfocar people moving efficiently.

I used the old 50mm AFD, who say the new faster and mounted on my D700 I'm fast enough autoenfocar people moving efficiently. I compared pictures in the same space with the 1.2 AI-S and is just as bright, maybe for being a slow largest, with 58mm. All its features I think are good and more with the cheap price it has. I carry it always in my bag is light and bright, and always surprises me with excellent photos.

Nov 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Anxo to your Buddy List
AdrianGB

Registered: Jul 9, 2006
Review Date: Nov 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: accurate focus, good build, handles well on d700, sharpens nicely at f1.8-2 but still good at f1.4, nice bokeh
Cons:
not fast AF, but very deliberate.

I was slightly concerned about buying because of reports complaining of slow AF, and poor bokeh.

The AF is not as fast as some AFS lens but it is very accurate. It suits my pace of photography, and locks on nicely to people even in low light. No complaints there - but if you should fast moving sports it might not be the lens for you.

Bokeh is really good. I have read a lot of complaints, but my images are coming out with smooth near round highlights, that are clean and incredibly pleasing. The nine rounded aperture blades really do their stuff.

I use the lens for outdoor night photography, and for general walk arounds. It is nice, light and compact on a d700 - It is absolutely perfect. All I need now is for Nikon to do a 35mm AFS lens and I'll be in clover.

Nov 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AdrianGB to your Buddy List
Kittyk

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Review Date: Oct 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp wide open, very little CA, nice bokeh.
Cons:
flares lot but they are nice - if you learn them, you can exploit them, slow AF, hunts in low light.

pic is of AF-S 60micro btw.

it is good replacement of old 50er but i was hoping for a bit more. Especially for two reasons:

1) 50 1.8 is so good so they could stretch it a bit even at bigger expense (nano coat, faster af?).

2) FX is well established and therefor 50mm makes sense again.

I recommend it to everybody who dont have any 1.4 or uses FX. If you have old 1.4 50mm, dont bother.

Oct 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kittyk to your Buddy List

Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor