83 122352 Aug 31, 2016
canon_eos_7_d

With a host of brand new features designed to enhance every facet of the photographic process, from still images to video, the new EOS 7D represents a whole new class of camera.

Made to be the tool of choice for serious photographers and semi-professionals, the EOS 7D features an all-new 18.0 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors, capturing tremendous images at up to ISO 12800 and speeds of up to 8 fps. The EOS 7D has a new all cross-type 19-point AF system with improved AI Servo II AF subject tracking and user-selectable AF area selection modes for sharp focus no matter the situation. The EOS 7D's Intelligent Viewfinder, an entirely newly-designed technology, provides 100% coverage and displays user-selected AF modes as well as a spot metering circle and on demand grid lines. New iFCL Metering with 63-zone dual-layer metering system uses both focus and color information to provide accurate exposure even in difficult lighting. The EOS 7D also captures Full HD video at 30p (29.97 fps), 24p (23.976 fps) and 25p with an array of manual controls, including manual exposure during movie shooting and ISO speed selection. The EOS 7D features a magnesium alloy body that is dust- and weather-resistant and shutter durability of up to 150,000 cycles. Compatible with over 60 EF and EF-S lenses as well as with EOS System accessories, the creative opportunities - not just with stills but also with video - are beyond amazement.

* 18.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors for high image quality and speed.

* ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12,800) for shooting from bright to dim light.

* 8.0 fps continuous shooting up to 126 Large/JPEGs with UDMA CF card and 15 RAW.

* Advanced movie mode with manual exposure control and selectable frame rates: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p, 640 x 480 (SD): 60p (59.94) / 50p.

* Intelligent Viewfinder with 100% field of view, wide viewing angle of 29.4, high magnification of 1.0, intelligent viewfinder with glass pentaprism and an overlaid LCD display in viewfinder supports various shooting styles.

* New 19-point, all cross-type AF system equipped with dual diagonal cross-type sensors in center at f/2.8 and f/5.6 and AF area selection modes to match various shooting situations.

* iFCL Metering with 63 zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information for optimizing exposure and image quality.

* Magnesium body with shutter durability up to 150,000 cycles and exclusive dust and weather resistance.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6

jrobichaud

Registered: Feb 21, 2005
Review Date: Oct 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,685.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: speed, size, IQ and easy video
Cons:
none so far

I should premis by saying that I primarily shoot 1D series cameras. I was anxious to try canon's newest af system and was not dissapointed. I shot a NCAA game with her in place of my IIN. She performed very well.

All that said, the 7D will not replace my IIN or mark III, but it's a great $1700 camera!

Oct 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jrobichaud to your Buddy List
RichM-NH

Registered: Jan 25, 2009
Review Date: Oct 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00

Pros: solid feel, great features
Cons:
IQ problems

I sold my 40d to purchase the 7d, and so far I'm very disappointed. I think I may have purchased a defective product, as I have been unable to get the IQ I was expecting, or anywhere near as good as my old 40d. I'm sending it back to Canon and we'll see what happens.

I do like the feel, features, etc. If I can get the problem fixed, I'm confident I'll love the camera. But I hate the fact that you can't count on getting "perfect" right out of the box from Canon. Anyone else having this problem.

For what it is worth, I've tried different focus and NR settings to no avail. I'm using good glass (24-105 and 70-200 2.8 IS), which worked fine w/ my 40d. I downloaded the firmware update, no improvements.

Rich

P.S. If you have had the same issues please let me know about your experiences.

Oct 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RichM-NH to your Buddy List
Alek Komarnits

Registered: May 3, 2007
Review Date: Oct 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, lots of pixels, 8 fps, big viewfinder, video, solid feel
Cons:
Nothing major - add HSS master control to on-board flash, ultra-high speed movie mode with smaller image size - i.e. why not 640x360x240fps?

This is going to sound like a Canon fanboy review, but the 7D is a pretty darn good camera

I've owned an XTi, 40D, and 50D. I've taken some semi-decent pictures with them (example: Antarctica cruise) but the 7D certainly seems to be a step up even compared to the semi-recent 50D. I ordered one a few hours after it went on sale, so got mine pretty early and have had it for several weeks now and fired off several thousand frames.

The increase from the 50D's 15MP to 18MP doesn't seem like much, but it's like another zoom level in Photoshop. Noise levels on a per-pixel basis seem slightly less (see high ISO 7D vs. 50D) so on a per-image basis, it's a definite improvement and the banding is much better controlled. Sure, noise is there, but more finer grain and less objectionable.

While 8fps may not seem like much more than 6.5, it again is a noticeable difference and appreciated ... but man, can you end up with a ton of images fast! And while a minor aesthetic thing, the shutter sound is more pleasing.

My 46 year old eyes appreciate the bigger viewfinder and I like the transmissive LCD which only highlights the autofocus points that need to be highlighted.

I have only shot a few dozens videos but this opens up a new ballgame as the HD quality is amazing. Nice to have this ability and mix of image size/speed such as 1920x1080x30 and 1280x720x60 ... Canon should have a firmware upgrade for ultra-high-speed - i.e. 640x360x240!

Autofocus seems quicker and more accurate ... but an FYI that the focus system is much more complicated and worth a good read of the manual and lots of hands-on familiarity.

Ability to use the on-board flash as a master controller has been a long time coming ... Canon should add HSS ability via firmware. Better yet, ditch the whole optical communication and go RF!

Bummer having to get new batteries (it uses LP-E6's rather than the 40/50D BP-511A's) but the percent charge showing is helpful. The electronic level is a gee-whiz features, but I actually have used it a number of times.

Yep, it's a good camera and glad to see that Canon didn't majorly cripple it somehow in order not to hurt 1-Series sales.

Enough rambling for now as I should go out and shoot some pictures! ;-)

Oct 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alek Komarnits to your Buddy List

83 122352 Aug 31, 2016