Nikon D3x

15 30318 Mar 16, 2012
25442_D3X_front

•Extreme resolution 24.5-megapixel FX-format (35.9 x 24.0mm) CMOS sensor
•Large 5.94µm pixels capture astonishing detail and subtleties with outstanding dynamic range for demanding commercial applications.
•Nikon EXPEED image processing technologies
EXPEED extends and assures breathtakingly rich image fidelity and reduces noise, even at high ISOs.
•138 MB1 Processed NEF (RAW) 12 or 14 bit image files
•Selectable bit depths of 12-bit (4,096 tones) or 14-bit (16,384 tones), both yielding incredible image quality through a 16-bit processing pipeline, for smoother tonal gradations.
•Low noise ISO sensitivity from 100 to 1600
Added ISO settings of Lo-1 (ISO 50 equivalent), Hi-1 (ISO 3200 equivalent) and Hi-2 (ISO 6400 equivalent) extend versatility.
•Two Live View shooting modes
•Two Live View modes add flexibility, and up to 27x magnification in the Tripod Mode, acute focusing accuracy is easily confirmed.
•Continuous shooting at up to 5 fps at full FX-format resolution
•Commercial image quality teams with speed and handling to create new shooting possibilities—in the studio or on location.
•Fast, accurate 51-point AF system
•AF system features 4 Dynamic AF modes, including •3D Focus Tracking, for autofocus precision and razor sharpness.
•1,005-Pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering II with Scene Recognition System
•Two Nikon-exclusive technologies provide intelligent auto exposure capabilities, along with refined auto white balance detection and faster, more accurate AF performance.
•3-inch super-density 920,000-dot VGA LCD monitor
Individual factory calibration assures the color accuracy of each D3X monitor for critical image review.
•100% viewfinder coverage
•Nikon Picture Control
•Four preset options: Standard, Neutral, Vivid and Monochrome, and 9 customizable settings provide advanced, personalized color control.
•Rugged, durable and precise magnesium-alloy construction
•Effectively protected from invasive dust, moisture and electromagnetic interference with a self-diagnostic shutter mechanism tested to exceed 300,000 cycles.
•Dual CF card slots with overflow, backup and copy options
•Virtual Horizon Graphic Indicator
•Up to 4,400 images per battery charge

Oskar

Registered: Mar 16, 2012
Review Date: Mar 16, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Great results ,it is really only a pro camera expensive unless it can pay for its self Great Camera Brilliant results , but really a pro camera compact high end for carry on equipment I have just shot billboard ads and they are up and look sharp ,I got paid what more can you say.I love it.
Cons:
Take it above 1600 and you could be in trouble with noise , it is slow shooting raw on fps . In low light ,no flash , it is not good and not worth the risk on a paid job but at low iso settings a good lens it blows anything out of the water.

Mar 16, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Oskar to your Buddy List
sixgun

Registered: Nov 21, 2006
Review Date: Feb 8, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: ISO performance, speed, image quality, color rendition in RAW.
Cons:
AWB is just like Canon - spotty at best indoors, ergonomics, menus and buttons are somewhat outdated compared to other cameras (Canon, Sony).

Seasoned professional who shoots for a living, our pro cameras are nothing more than tools for the job, not something to get into an argument or emotional over. That said, we have experience with both Nikon and Canon so instead of trying to say how much better this camera is compared to Canon, lets just say that in the right hands, the DX3 is a great camera - just like the Canon 1DsMKIII. We did not notice any real difference in IQ, focus speed or color accuracy. I have produced great images from both cameras. ISO performance was better, but not much - definitely not worth switching platforms over.. I routinely shoot at ISO 1600 with Canon and we get great low light noise. I shot with ISO 3200 on the Nikon and was slightly better than the 1DsMKIII but again, not by much. Topaz de-noise made any ISO noise irrelevant on either platform.

If you are used to Canon ergonomics, the Nikon buttons and menus will be very irritating to you. We found them poorly placed, overly fumbly and much slower to navigate than Canon's - but like anything else - I guess you can get used to it. I still find it much easier to change any settings on the Canon and much faster than on any Nikon, but that's me. I am sure there are plenty of those who would argue otherwise.

Bottom line - we laugh at people who say this body is so much better than than the 1DsMKIII, its not. If you own Nikon glass you will be very happy with this camera. It is state of the art, but so is the Canon. I suppose if you are a tech collector with deep pockets, you might be tempted to ditch your Canon gear for a little higher ISO noise ceiling but when Canon comes out with the 1DsMKIV, you'll be wishing you didn't. And then Nikon will release the D4, etc etc...
Chevy vs. Ford... same old story.

Great body, great performer - amazing images, but on par with the "other" pro bodies out there.

Feb 8, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sixgun to your Buddy List
LeonardT

Registered: Nov 23, 2010
Review Date: Nov 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb resolution and overall IQ. Surprisingly good high ISO performance for such a high pixel sensor. Top build quality and a really top quality pro camera.
Cons:
Auto WB a little warm. High price but getting better.

I have owned every pro Nikon body since the D1 and also own the Canon 1DS MK II. The Canon is a great camera but the D3X is by far the best high res camera on the market today. I find the HI ISO performance nearly as good as the D700 up to 1600. It is much better then the D300 by a considerable amount. I very frequently shot at ISO 6400 and make prints up to 13x19 without noticeable noise (depending on the subject and out of focus area). The noise pattern is more like medium fine film grain at ISO 200 at the higher ISO's. This body has just been a joy to use. Highly recommended.

Nov 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LeonardT to your Buddy List
FabioMachado

Registered: Oct 23, 2010
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Oct 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $864,956.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Resolution, Build quality, Strong body, Good element protection, Superb image quality, Sharpness... Best digital 35mm Camara out there!!!
Cons:
Color Balance not the best, Focusing grid (from D300 DX) is to small for a FX, ISO range

First i wanna say, that this was the best DSLR i could ever buy. The image quality for studio images is just... Perfect. The sharpness the color, the Superb resolution... Just perfect!
The body is really well thought out, from the D2x there was some major improvements. the element protection is really good i really can count on it!
i really prefer the feel of this new D3, D3s, and D3X than those canon 1D...

Altho there is some things to improve.
First of all, the focusing grid is just ridiculous, i think its the same from the D300, witch is DX and the FX system should have a bigger grid. for me this is a big fault.
Second i dont know if its my copy, but i find the white balance a bit confused, i can never trust it... especially on studio i have to always adjust it!
The ISO range: i do understand that the range is due to the pixel size, since the D3x have the smallest pixels of all, i do believe that we couldn't ask for more that 1600 ISo, but i do believe that they could have done better for a 8000 dollar camera

Dont get me wrong, i find the D3x the best DSLR of all times Smile
If you want to do commercial work and you need the best resolution out there this is definitively the best option!

Oct 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FabioMachado to your Buddy List
nazdravanul

Registered: Jul 1, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: Apr 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Best DSLR out there, no doubt about it. Aside the pro build and features, IQ is superb, which is the main thing, for me.
Cons:
Price. No sensor cleaning system, no video. No direct live view button. Costly software for tethered shooting (and proprietary raw conversion). Poor implementation of tethered shooting / live view (no working controls on camera, small/fixed window for live view with no control possibilities etc), software keeps crashing.

I didn't expect it to kick the living hell out of my beloved 5d2 Smile. ISO 400 on the d3x looks better / or at least the same as ISO 100 on the 5d2 . You really need to be able to put good glass in front of the new 20+ MP sensors in order to make them shine, and more, you need to properly PP the d3x files to get the most out of them.
My Zeiss glass looks better on the Nikon, and the d3x files give me a whole new horizon of PP possibilities. Where the 5d2 files would have started to disintegrate, the d3x files still give me plenty of room to work on.
The viewfinder is so much better than anything Canon has, and the standard focus screen is incredibly good / effective.
The worst problem ... is the cost problem, but we all know that Smile) .

Apr 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nazdravanul to your Buddy List
alibenn

Registered: Jan 19, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, ergonomics, weight,
Cons:
none as yet

I picked up the D3x second hand here in China, 20K actuations and in perfect condition. I was looking to upgrade from my D700 that I have had since July 2009 having switched from Canon prompted by the exceptional ISO capabilities and the 14-24 f2.8 ultra wide zoom.

My biggest concern was how it would stack up for noise at higher ISO's, I never doubted the sharpness & resolution would be nothing less than superb.

I have posted my full review after comparing the D3x with the D700 & the Canon 5D Mark II.. find it here:

For people looking for near medium back performance at high end DSLR price with the flexibility and speed of 35mm, the D3x is currently top of the heap. Of course, needs to be accompanied by Nikons top glass to get the max out of it.

Jan 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add alibenn to your Buddy List
TippCity

Registered: Nov 29, 2008
Review Date: Nov 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Oustanding Image Quality, Colors and sharpness.
Cons:
Not a general use camera for me.

After using the Mamiya RB and RZ systems, and DSLR's D200, D2x, D3 and now the D3x I am able to produce my most oustanding images so far.

I prefer to keep the ISO below 1100, and generally ISO 100 90% of my shooting time. It also demands my best glass. I have shot many tests using many Prosumer and Pro glass. And the better the glass the better the image quality. Any imperfection in the glass or shooting technique is amplified in the image. My personal choice is the PC-E trilogy of lenses.

The D3x also requires a sturdy tripod and mirror-up to capture the best image.

Since my personal style of shooting has always been tripod based the D3x works extremely well for me.

I also have not had the best images trying to use the D3x as a walk-around body. Probably my technique more than the body. My D3 is still my go to body for general use.

Well worth the high price, if you need the highest quality images.

Nov 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TippCity to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia
Review Date: Nov 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This Camera is THE BEST THERE IS at this moment as I am typing this comment.
Cons:
Price is steep I think ....

I have had this camera in my hand just few days ago and frankly, If I would not have a such investment in Canon I will switch back to NIKON.

This camera is producing a stunning quality of images for mural size pictures in gallery style.

I shoot with theirs top lenses and when printed on Epson, I can not believe my eyes. The quality is there !!!

I am sure that Canon will answer this NIKON “Dynamite” in this upcoming year of 2010 with 1Ds Mark IV. Maybe a new processor ? Maybe 26-28 Mega Pixels ? We will see ...

Nov 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
MichaelErlewin

Registered: Sep 13, 2008
Review Date: Oct 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Hi-res, incredible blacks and reds, and the best of Nikon.
Cons:
None for my work.

I migrated from film to the D100, D200, D300, and D700 to the D3x. It was not until the D300 that these Nikon cameras REALLY helped my photos and the D700 (FX sensor) was an incredible step forward.

I purchased a D3x (ouch!) because I am a macro and landscape photographer and could not resist seeing if the D3x would also be a step forward for me.

The good news is that the D3x is really incredible if you are a close-up/macro photographer or like landscapes or mini-landscapes (dioramas) like I do.

I only use it at the lowest possible ISO and the quality of the blacks and reds are something that has to be seen to be believed – wonderful! With this camera I can get a resolution that I have always tried to get, but that was not always available to me for one reason or another. In particular, using the D3x I can take a photo from a greater distance than before and extract/crop an area of it that is large enough to be a large photo by itself.
This is especially useful for insects, amphibians, etc., where to get closer risks scaring them into motion. Now I can keep a little farther back and still get images that are real close up. It is like have a more powerful (and fast!) telephoto lens, only there is no loss of light or clarity.

This is an expensive camera, for sure, and it took a bite out of my pocketbook. However, it has opened doors that I was unable to open any other way. My next adventure may be the new D3x. In that case, I will sell my D700 and use the D3s for low light concert still shots (which I need) AND for macro movies. Although the D3s may not be perfect for a wide range of video, from the specs I have studied, it should/could be perfect for close macro work and studio interviews, which is all I need it to do. So, it may be the D3x and D3s for me.

Oct 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MichaelErlewin to your Buddy List
overhere2000

Registered: Apr 20, 2009
Review Date: Aug 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,800.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Interface is well thought out.
Cons:
Build quality lacking, needs one more revision to software

Overall i'd say this is Nikon's first true Pro Level camera. Although the jury is still out on how well it will hold up to the demands of hard use, i think it is an acceptable first shot in the arena

Aug 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add overhere2000 to your Buddy List
Bruce Sawle

Registered: Sep 26, 2006
Review Date: Aug 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $6,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, ergonomics, Image Quality, Focus ability.
Cons:

What can I say coming from Canon and owning a 1D Mk III and 1Ds MK III all I have to say is wow. This Camera is a machine. It is so easy to use it took me zero time to get use to the ergonomics of Nikon. The image quality is simply incredible I am blown away each time I review my photos. The Canon's were both excellent cameras and the main reason for switching was to make it easier with my business partner who also shoots Nikon. I would highly recommend any of the three cameras I listed above but if you want the best you will need to step and purchase the D3x.

Aug 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bruce Sawle to your Buddy List
D.K. Owens

Registered: May 6, 2007
Review Date: Apr 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extreme resolution! By far, the best DSLR camera on the market
Cons:

Since purchasing this camera, it has produced some of the most astounding portraits and landscape shot I've ever seen. There are several features of this camera that if explored one can find themselves taking shot after shot, producing formidable prints in any size.

No doubt, the D3X is a D3 with an upsized sensor, but with different features for different uses. The D3X is not a camera that one uses for snapshots! This is a professional camera!

Nikon's variety of specialized lenses make this camera shine even more. 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 are a dream kit satisfying anyone's primary need to cover wide to telephoto. Throw in a 300 f/2.8 and the bonuses keep coming.

I take issue with the writer who posted that the camera was too new to give a solid rating. Giving this camera anything less than a 10, in my opinion, suggests that the D3X may be beyond the scope and capability of one who doesn't know how to get the most out of Nikon's best ever.

I give this camera the highest kudo's, well aware that the pricing issue prevented many from purchasing it. Like a Mercedes Benz, this camera rules the road and leaves the competition in the dust.

I'll post an addendum later with a link to my gallery. But for now, this smokes all others!

Apr 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add D.K. Owens to your Buddy List
iammikie

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Apr 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Apr 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add iammikie to your Buddy List
walnutroof

Registered: Jul 9, 2008
Review Date: Apr 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: AF (extremely accurate, fast) image quality, build and quality.
Cons:
price!!! noise image control is blouchy compared to the D3 and 5D mkII, lots of bottons. metering, noise, weight,

Our main wedding photographer in Melbourne I think he's one of the first D3X owner when it was first delivered in melbourne
and I had a chance to test drive it and the feel was WOW!! its huge!! its heavy!! compare to the D3 and IDsmkIII.
we tried a few shots and compared it with D3 and 5DmkII, the results, are surprising the D3 and 5D mkII wins when it comes to sharpness, noise and metering. But the D3X's build quality is a KING!! but I think its too early for us to judge.

Apr 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add walnutroof to your Buddy List
Alistair Watson

Registered: Mar 21, 2005
Review Date: Mar 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF speed and accuracy during burst shooting, big buffer which clears quickly, identical body handling to D3
Cons:
Err Price!

I recently moved from Canon to Nikon, a D3 and D3x for sports and motorsport work.

Basically this is high resolution sensor in a D3 body, everything else is the same, which is to say excellent. Image quality is superb and if you don't need very large prints there is ample scope for cropping hard into the image which still leaves you with an incredible amount of detail. Noise control is also very good and I have no problems at all using this up to ISO 1000 though I find myself reaching for the D3 if I need to shoot higher for longer periods of time.
Also, this is the first full frame high resolution body that I would ever consider using for sports work, 5 fps is good but the buffer is large enough to support long bursts and still be able to shoot without lockout, very very impressive. But this comes at a price, Ł5200 - gulp!

Mar 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alistair Watson to your Buddy List

Nikon D3x