Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

171 350088 Aug 25, 2016
1ef200mmf_28_1_1_

Telephoto lens boasting high image quality and carrying ease. With two UD-glass elements and rear focusing to correct aberrations, image delineation is extremely sharp. Background blur is also natural-looking, as was simulated by Canon. The lens comes with a dedicated, detachable hood.

kel3at

Registered: Jul 9, 2004
Review Date: Nov 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Tough, Sharp, Fast, ect. ect.
Cons:

Excellent lens, my only L lens and it is very nice. This is the perfect lens. Tough, fast, sharp, excellent color. I could go on and on about how good this lens is but I wont. I would only be repeating what every other review here already says.

Nov 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kel3at to your Buddy List
LenK

Registered: Jan 14, 2004
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, built like a tank, looks great in black
Cons:

I bought this lens used on FM a month ago, because I wanted a faster 200mm than my 70-200 f4/L. I was also impressed with (and tempted by) the reviews I've seen here and elsewhere. So far, I haven't been disappointed. The lens is everything anyone has said about it (good, that is...).

My quandry NOW is that I'm ramping up on my wedding business, and am currently tempted to sell this AND my 70-200 f4 to buy a 70-200 f2.8!! Wanna trade? Anyone??

Is life good or what?!!!!

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LenK to your Buddy List
terminator

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $565.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: superb sharp! great color, contrast and bokeh. build quality. instant focus. relatively lightweight. f/2.8. cheap.
Cons:
absolutely none

My first L lens after reading quite a lot of reviews of many different telephoto lens. Still was shocked at its performance. The images by this lens is obviously sharper than by 85mm f/1.8, with very pleasant bokeh, not to mention the color and contrast. I would not just say the color, contrast and bokeh are nice. They are GREAT! Couldn't think if they can be any better. Focus is very fast. Built like a tank, but still relatively light. At this price (after triple rebate), I cannot find any thing better.

Nov 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add terminator to your Buddy List
rklepper

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $659.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens. Photos really pop
Cons:

This is a great lens. Not sure how you can find this lens wanting in anything for the price.

Certainly not sure how you can purchase a prime, non-IS lens and then put down that the cons are no zoom and no IS? Things that make you go HMMMM

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rklepper to your Buddy List
caveman_lee

Registered: Sep 12, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, fast focus, great color and contrast, black, relatively light weight (when compare with the white L zoom)
Cons:
a bit long on a 1.6x camera.

This is a very sharp prime. Great for taking outdoor/street portrait. Also a good head-hunter when using with 580EX for indoor event.

The color and contrast are great, "L" standard for sure. This prime sometimes makes me feel that my 300D could not fully utilize the sharpness and resolution render by this lens.

Samples photos of my beloved 200 F2.8L are collected in the link below:

Warning: this lens spoils you ! You will keep wanting to buy other "L" primes, such as 85 F1.2L and 135 F2L, after using this lens. You will not forgive yourself for getting less than razor sharp image with this lens (hand shaking, low shutter speed, etc.).

Caveman

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add caveman_lee to your Buddy List
Al_10D

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp, nice bokeh and colors. Terrific lens for outdoor candid portraits. Work great with 1.4x and 2x TCs

Highly recommended.

Oct 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Al_10D to your Buddy List
dwolfbearer

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast Focus, razor sharp, still great with 2x extender, compact, black, fast
Cons:
Canon hoods are a pain

This is the sharpest lens I have owned. I traded my 70-200 f/4 for it, because I was not satisfied with the zoom quality, and was blown away by the 200 2.8. The sharpness is amazing and the price is very low. Buying it here (FM buy/sell forum), used, you can use it for a few months and then sell it to someone else for the same price you paid for it! The resale value on this used lense is simply amazing. I 'upgraded' to a 100-400 and found the quality waning. I hope that somewhere along the line, this lens comes back into my lineup.

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dwolfbearer to your Buddy List
chopsam

Registered: Jan 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, Light weight, f2.8, solid construction, sharp, great color, silent USM AF
Cons:
None zoom, none IS

Bought this second hand last week, and manage to do some shooting this weekend. Based on 2 days of hands on, I am really please with this lens. The lens balances very well on my D60. This is my first L lens, and the construction feel, fast AF and sharp optics really impressed me.

I currently owns a Tamron 28-75 f2.8, which is also an optically excellence lens, but the 200 f2.8 is definitely one class above it. The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 focusing motor is so noisy beside the 200 f2.8 USM. The fast focusing on the 200 f2.8 also helps to compensate the slower focusing capability on D60. I would imagine it will work even better on the newer DSLR with improved AF.

I also own a cheapo Tamron 70-300 zoom. When compare to the side by side image between the two, I was shocked at the vast difference in the sharpness & color accuracy difference, so much so I doubt I will ever use the 70-300mm anymore.

The 200 f2.8 also works well with 2x multiplier, with reasonable image quality and fast AF. That gives me the flexibility to have a 200x1.6 = 320mm and 200x2x1.6 = 640mm equivalent reach on my D60.

I had to put in fix focal length and none IS as a downside, as I were more used to the convenience of zoom. However, being a prime, it also contribute to the great price to optic ratios, as well as the light weight and size as compare to 70-200 IS f2.8.

Sep 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chopsam to your Buddy List
jamach

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Sep 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, color, size and weight, fast focusing
Cons:

This lens is built like a tank but is not extremely heavy. It is very sharp and works well with the TC 1.4x. Extension tubes, 1.4x and 500D can make this a close focuser that does intense macro shots at super sharp levels. The lens can also be a superb butterfly lens and with the 1.4 even better!

The lens is also superb for people portrait lens in the park.

Sep 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamach to your Buddy List
penghai

Registered: May 21, 2002
Review Date: Jul 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast AF, very versatile, black, light weight, solid build, super image quality
Cons:
Minimum focus distance could be shorter.

Bought this lens for 8 months now. This is the lens that keeps me "Wow!" at the images made through it. Great color/contrast/image quality for birds and portraits. The boken is excellent, really make the subjects stand out!

The lens is also very versatile: add a 1.4TC it becomes a great lens for near-by birds; add an extention tube, it become a great lens for flowers. The first time I used this lens to shoot flowers, I cannot even believe the color I got.

It's a trip-saver too. I went to a local butterfly garden 2 weeks ago. My macro lens AF so slow that it simply cannot reach focus before the butterflies fly away. I do not have other choice but mount an extension tube in this lens and shoot. And it saves the day with great AF speed (even with extension tube)and super image qualities.

To be honest, this is not the focal length (320mm on my 20D)that I initially thought I'll use a lot. But I use it more and more and I love to use it more and more.

And it's so light (weight).

I'd recommend it highly!

Jul 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add penghai to your Buddy List
daktarz

Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Review Date: Jul 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $630.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb imaging. Fast focus. Excellent light gathering. Relatively light. Pretty darn inexpensive considering it's an L.
Cons:
These are TINY nits. The MF/AF button could be a touch easier to grab by feel. The lens sometimes hunts quite a bit when presented with thin sprays of material (thin branches, stems).

This is my first L purchase and, having been aided by the many reviews on this site, I thought it only right to add to the collection. This lens is amazing. My very first "real" shot with it (after a couple of nothing pics indoors) was the best hummingbird pic I've ever taken. The focus is fast, the f2.8 was just what I needed for low light/fast shutter conditions and the image quality is simply stunning. The price was, to my mind, quite reasonable given the quality of the lens.

Jul 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add daktarz to your Buddy List
troutmask

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Jul 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Its great,its sharp,its fast
Cons:
I had to get a decent head for my tripod to hold it dead still! It could do with a lens collar to conect directly to a monopod or tripod.

I got this lens 6 months ago. After reading some of the reviews here. It was my first step into the wonderful world of "L" lens. I am a convert. It cost me the same as my EOS 10D (second hand) and twice what I paid for any camera or Lens before. It is worth every penny. Unlike the camera I will be still using this in 10 years.
It is built like a tank. It can take sports close up with any old light.It can take great portraits (stand well back with the 10D!).
Some head and shoulder shots have been better than my Canon 85mm 1.8 lens, and that is a great lens.
Unless you really need a zoom then this is for you

Jul 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add troutmask to your Buddy List
bret

Registered: Nov 11, 2003
Review Date: Jun 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $660.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Works Great. Fast focus. Sharp.
Cons:

It fits in my shoulder bag. It is great for candid photos. It just works great. I only rate it a nine cause I don't know if there is anything better or not. I don't know which is better.... go with primes (15 f2.8, 35 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 200 f/2.8) or go with slightly larger zooms (16-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8). I chose the primes... seems like you will have to change lenses just as often with zooms.

Jun 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bret to your Buddy List
afred

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $605.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: f/2.8, sharp at 2.8, fast focus, and look at the beautiful bokeh!
Cons:
it's not a zoom...

First off, I own the MK I version of this lens, and i've got to say, this is the sharpest lens i've ever shot with. This thing blew me away when i was testing it out at f/2.8. There is no holding back with this lens. Fast focus, built in hood! For all the MK I owners. This is currently my favorite lens. But that changes often... Great lens, focal length is not the greatist, but one learns to deal with that.

Jun 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add afred to your Buddy List
imperial

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even at f/2.8, great bokeh, fast AF with smooth full-time MF, light, inconspicuous and cheap! Lens hood included.
Cons:
No zoom, of course....

This one seems to be a forgotten lens in Canon's L telephoto lineup, and I'm not sure why. This beauty is half the weight, half the complexity (and therefore slightly sharper/contrastier), and half the cost of the f/2.8 zoom. I also prefer the low-key black finish for non-professional use.

This is my favorite lens to use on my 10D for the dramatic "punch" it delivers in terms of sharpness, color, contrast, and background separation. Great for tight portraits, candids of your kids, and youth sports. Rather than wishing for a zoom, I find myself enjoying the compositonal/framing variety that the prime "imposes" on me, even for sports.

Jun 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add imperial to your Buddy List
Heechee

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Jun 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect image quality at f2.8, very fast focus on 20D, relatively small, black, a good focal length for handholding with 20D
Cons:
None, except it doesn't zoom..

This is the perfect lens if you require a 200mm focal length with a fast aperture, fast focusing, and in a 'package' that's far less conspicious than the 70-200mm alternatives.

For my purposes this fits in well with the 17-40L, the 50mm 1.4 and 100mm 2.8 macro USM.

Jun 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Heechee to your Buddy List

Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM