Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

174 354052 Nov 23, 2016
1ef200mmf_28_1_1_

Telephoto lens boasting high image quality and carrying ease. With two UD-glass elements and rear focusing to correct aberrations, image delineation is extremely sharp. Background blur is also natural-looking, as was simulated by Canon. The lens comes with a dedicated, detachable hood.

afred

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $605.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: f/2.8, sharp at 2.8, fast focus, and look at the beautiful bokeh!
Cons:
it's not a zoom...

First off, I own the MK I version of this lens, and i've got to say, this is the sharpest lens i've ever shot with. This thing blew me away when i was testing it out at f/2.8. There is no holding back with this lens. Fast focus, built in hood! For all the MK I owners. This is currently my favorite lens. But that changes often... Great lens, focal length is not the greatist, but one learns to deal with that.

Jun 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add afred to your Buddy List
imperial

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even at f/2.8, great bokeh, fast AF with smooth full-time MF, light, inconspicuous and cheap! Lens hood included.
Cons:
No zoom, of course....

This one seems to be a forgotten lens in Canon's L telephoto lineup, and I'm not sure why. This beauty is half the weight, half the complexity (and therefore slightly sharper/contrastier), and half the cost of the f/2.8 zoom. I also prefer the low-key black finish for non-professional use.

This is my favorite lens to use on my 10D for the dramatic "punch" it delivers in terms of sharpness, color, contrast, and background separation. Great for tight portraits, candids of your kids, and youth sports. Rather than wishing for a zoom, I find myself enjoying the compositonal/framing variety that the prime "imposes" on me, even for sports.

Jun 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add imperial to your Buddy List
Heechee

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Jun 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect image quality at f2.8, very fast focus on 20D, relatively small, black, a good focal length for handholding with 20D
Cons:
None, except it doesn't zoom..

This is the perfect lens if you require a 200mm focal length with a fast aperture, fast focusing, and in a 'package' that's far less conspicious than the 70-200mm alternatives.

For my purposes this fits in well with the 17-40L, the 50mm 1.4 and 100mm 2.8 macro USM.

Jun 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Heechee to your Buddy List
RCicala

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Jun 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Relatively small size, very sharp, nice bokeh, quick to focus, reasonable price
Cons:
None that I've found.

I purchased this after falling in love with my 135L and I'm not disappointed. It seems every bit as sharp with good color, focuses well on my 20D. Its signficantly smaller than my 70-200 f4 and I find myself taking this and a teleconverter as my "long lens" for travelling because its such a compact combination. To my thinking this is the best bargain Canon has on the long end. This and the 135 have me planning to sell my 70-200 - I just rarely pick it up anymore.

Jun 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RCicala to your Buddy List
Gary W. Graley

Registered: Jun 13, 2004
Review Date: Jun 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Medium weight, black in colour, sharpness wide open
Cons:
Long hood, but works well, so not much of a negative

My first L lens! Excellent quality and resolution for this lens.
A bit long for indoors but that's to be expected.
Used on my 20D
G2

Jun 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gary W. Graley to your Buddy List
Loetje

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: May 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very fast AF. You can MF, when its on AF. Very sharp. Background blur is very nice. It is black. f2.8. The price/quality. It looks good on the 20D.
Cons:
The hood is very big.

First I calibrate the 20D at Canon. It takes them 4 weeks to the job. But the result is 100%.
Then I test 3x 70-200 4L. All three where with backfocus. Then I test a Sigma 20-700 2,8. This one has frontfocus problems and focusing was not stable. And is very havy (1,4 kg).
Afther a short test I love the 200 2,8 L. Its realy a nice lens for the 20D. And is very sharp at 2,8 and further.

May 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Loetje to your Buddy List
Non Plus Ultra

Registered: May 12, 2005

Pros: relatively small and lightweight good optics fast AF
Cons:

Bought it secondhand, never felt sorry for spending the money. This is a lens that everybody needs, even if they don't know yet.

May 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Non Plus Ultra to your Buddy List
3ABX03

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Apr 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $710.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness and booking.
Cons:

Grate prime lens. I have 70-200 F4. This one is far better.

Apr 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 3ABX03 to your Buddy List
d10d

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Mar 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and fast!... less awkward and obvious that the 70-200 Ls ... great with a 1.4tc...
Cons:

I had a 70-200 f2.8 non-IS (for a short while) and a 70-200 f4... in the end I gave them up for this lens and have not looked back since... at one point I would have considered the f2.8 again but for the price and my shooting style this is the clear winner...

As I shoot in low light conditions much of the time the extra stop has allowed me more flexibility and I am getting shots I could not get with the f4 (to be fair ... I am also using a 20D now instead of a 10D and this has also made a huge difference for me)... this lens makes sharp and clean images, great contrast and bokeh, and i don't even have to zoom! :D

Primes aren't for everyone... but if you are in to primes and want an excellent lens with longer reach... this is the one!

Mar 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add d10d to your Buddy List
n_utting

Registered: Dec 11, 2004
Review Date: Mar 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. Solid construction. Good finish. Lightning-fast AF. Did I mention sharp?
Cons:
Nothing yet

Well, the 200mm f/2.8 arrived this morning and I had a hard time waiting until lunchtime to take some test shots. From earlier reviews I had expected a superb lens, nor was I disappointed.

Physical construction is solid with a practical crackled paint-type finish. The lens definitely looks the business, but how does it perform?

AF is lightning fast with a 20D body and focusing on fast-moving birds was easy.

The following links are to a full-frame handheld shot of a starling at about 2m distance ( http://www.utting.org/images/nigel/Canon/starling.jpg ) and a 100% crop of the bird's head ( http://www.utting.org/images/nigel/Canon/starling-head.jpg ).

12 hours' ownership is hardly an in-depth test, but first impressions are that the 200mm f/2.8 is worth it's not insubstantial cost.

This is my second L series lens (the other is a 17-40mm) and I doubt on experience to date that it will be my last.

Mar 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add n_utting to your Buddy List
IraGraham

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Feb 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Fast focus, sharp as a razor, awesome background blur. Made well with nice black finish.
Cons:
No IS (Image Stablization)

Since I bought this lens, I am now turned on to sharp Canon L series fixed focal length lenses. I can't wait to buy the Canon 135mm 2.0L. I hear it is even sharper then the 200mm 2.8L.

Feb 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IraGraham to your Buddy List
Bowman1

Registered: Feb 14, 2005
Review Date: Feb 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, image quality
Cons:

I have only owned this lens for about five months now, but I am very pleased with it. Provided I hold up my end of the bargain, the images I get with this lens are always clear and sharp. These things are practically a steal on ebay right now. For the money, this is a remarkable piece of glass that deserves a home in your camera bag.

Feb 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bowman1 to your Buddy List
RichieHatch

Registered: Nov 24, 2004
Review Date: Jan 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great colour and contrast and well built. Also not to heavy and is well balanced with 20D and Grip.
Cons:

Bought this lens (MK1 version) from a friend and have been very impressed so far. Its my first Canon Prime L lens and I am amazed at the sharpness, contrast and quality. It focuses very quickly also. The out of focus quality (bokeh) is extremely milky and smooth. I would say that this is a sharper lens than my 50mm f1.8. Good portrait / close wildlife lens. Highly reccommended....!

Jan 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RichieHatch to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Dec 21, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f2.8, good solid feel, sharpness
Cons:
nothing

I bought this lens used about 2 years ago. I have had several other lenses come and go over the past couple of years but this one I have kept. Nice lens to use if you are out hiking with very good sharpness. You can feel confident when shooting with this lens that you will get results that can be enlarged with good results. Bargain price for L lens quality.

Dec 21, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List
damonfff

Registered: May 9, 2004
Review Date: Dec 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful bokeh, creamy colour, looks great on a 10D.
Cons:
Heavy. Heavy.

This lens makes me feel good. The photos I get from it are amazing. I'm a new prime person but now I only shoot with 3 primes and it's good. This one is a definite must have.

Dec 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add damonfff to your Buddy List
bka20d

Registered: Sep 17, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quality of the glass, size& weight, aperture
Cons:

all i can say is wow! the quality of the images taken with this lens blows me away! i had purchased a 70-200 2.8L and found it too heavy and large for causal shooting outings...took it back and got the 200 and have been smiling ever since.

Dec 3, 2004