Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

174 354200 Nov 23, 2016
1ef200mmf_28_1_1_

Telephoto lens boasting high image quality and carrying ease. With two UD-glass elements and rear focusing to correct aberrations, image delineation is extremely sharp. Background blur is also natural-looking, as was simulated by Canon. The lens comes with a dedicated, detachable hood.

next390

Registered: Nov 23, 2016
Review Date: Nov 23, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:
Heavy.

I liked this lens. I bought it recently. While happy with everything.
But overall I'm satisfied.

Nov 23, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add next390 to your Buddy List
aand11

Registered: Nov 21, 2016
Review Date: Nov 21, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

Thank you with this web site. I start reading your own content as well as I really like this. I write about with my friends and also the guy is very joyful. Still post, I bookmark your website and I visit day by day. If you want analyze my blog:
free paypal money

I like so bad your current information! I take a look at some post is really awesome. I discovered your current text by using google search. Check out my blog is nice as you: paypal money generator
, I work most to start writing this content. Back be grateful to you and are keeping to generate! Happy chance!

I look at too much a website with material such as your own. I'm administrator in addition to moderator on this online site: paypal money adder
. Check and inform me if need to make something or add more new concepts to look more perfect. I thank you for your internet site is extremely good quality. I follow you and I bookmark your blog and I continue to reading through content articles. Cheers once more an continue on!

Nov 21, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aand11 to your Buddy List
monica123

Registered: Aug 30, 2016
Review Date: Oct 31, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again.

plaque psoriasis

Oct 31, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add monica123 to your Buddy List
Shantaram

Registered: Aug 25, 2016
Review Date: Aug 25, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros:
Cons:

Really great post, Thank you for sharing This knowledge.
192.168.0.1

Aug 25, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Shantaram to your Buddy List
oceanofgames

Registered: Aug 9, 2016
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Aug 9, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:
Aug 9, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oceanofgames to your Buddy List
mali90

Registered: Jun 27, 2016
Review Date: Jun 27, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros:
Cons:

long sought this information, thank you for the post, I will add this site to your favorites!

Jun 27, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mali90 to your Buddy List
vivianchen

Registered: Oct 30, 2015
Review Date: Oct 30, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Unparalleled image quality, 4 stops rated/5 stops effective IS, lightning fast AF
Cons:
Need to find your own perfect lens cap!

It produces an image with a DOF+compression effect that is a bit more than the 85L does @ f/1.2 but the image quality is better than the 85 @ 5.6!

Add to that lightning fast and accurate AF and unbelievable IS and this is the most handholdable lens that Canon has at the moment (ignoring shutter speed)!

This thing outresolves the 40D's 10MP APS-C sensor wide open! I can't see any improvement in sharpness all the way up to f/5.6! It's also sharper than the 70-200 f4 IS, both wide open.

I gave a 9 for construction because I honestly think that Canon could've used a better material for focusing rings of their top lenses. Apart from that, it's every bit as good as pro lenses get.

I have the 85LII which I use for pretty much everything and I'd use this 200 f2 IS as a replacement whenever I'm allowed the increased distance to the subject.

http://www.hitsticker.com | http://www.printradiant.com | http://www.adstateagent.com

Oct 30, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vivianchen to your Buddy List
CarteB

Registered: Dec 24, 2014
Review Date: Dec 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $670.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, lovely background blur, size
Cons:
Nothing serious.

I shoot with a Canon 6D and this is a very nice lens indeed. Sharper than the 24-105 at any of its focal lengths or apertures, not quite as sharp as the 24-70 f2.8 mkii in the centre. Certainly sharper than the 15-85 if you are using a crop sensor. Very good at f2.8 and excellent at f4-f8, but keep the shutter speed up. I try to keep it at 1/500+, the higher the better. This might mean raising the ISO or staying at f2.8. Immediately after buying the lens, I didn't really understand the great reviews but I saw the light when I started shooting at 1/640. Made all the difference. I get some sharp shots at 1/250, but inconsistently. Still get the occasional unfocused image from camera shake at even very high speeds, like 1/2000, so take a few extra shots; don't rely on that one quickie. Interestingly, the 135mm f2 is easier (more consistent) for me to hand hold at lower shutter speeds,and it's only a little shorter. That 200mm length seems to be the threshold for me, at which either my technique or general steadiness begin to have a significant impact on hand-held shots. I tried a monopod but no better. Keep your elbows tucked in and always be aware of the shutter speed. During the day it is not at all difficult to keep that shutter speed up, especially with a full frame that handles, say, ISO 400 very well. And then this is a really good lens. And much less intrusive than the 70-200s. But stabilisation is wonderful.

Dec 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CarteB to your Buddy List
ScottUmstattd

Registered: Oct 16, 2014
Location: Mexico
Review Date: Oct 28, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent color and image. 200mm without being too big. Excellent color and image! Not white.
Cons:
It doesn't make coffee.

After my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 broke, I was in the market for a replacement. While considering options, I thought to myself that most of the time I was pushing my 70-200 all the way to 200 (and wishing I had more). I wanted to see what all the fuss was about Canon L glass but there was no way I was going to pay for and carry around the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L. The Canon 200mm f/2.8L was my first L series lens.

I miss being able to zoom, but this is the case with every prime I have. But it's easy to make the adjustment by foot most of the time.

I primarily use this lens for landscape, portrait and event pictures. It is definitely not a walk-around lens because of it's focal length. But, when you know how to use it, it can make for an interesting lens to tackle street photography.

It's a great lens and the price I paid was fair.

You can read my full review (with pictures) http://www.picture-power.com/canon-lens-reviews-canon-ef-200mm-f-2-8L.html

Oct 28, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ScottUmstattd to your Buddy List
Soulphoto2014

Registered: Sep 3, 2014
Review Date: Sep 3, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Razorsharp, superbokeh, fast AF
Cons:
No IS and unhandy focal length (too long, you have to backup too much, 135L is better and also long)

Perfect optics, pictures can be published in a magazine without PP direct out of the lens. But it's too long, you have too back up too much, I recommend the 135L or 70-200 2.8L II instead. Ended op selling it.

Sep 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Soulphoto2014 to your Buddy List
Stephen Cooper

Registered: Jan 14, 2007
Review Date: May 22, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, sharp, fast
Cons:
Pricey tripod adaptor as an option, hood is a bit awkward

This was one of two lenses that I had wanted for a while (the other being the EF135 f/2 L). Whilst I have the focal length covered with my 70-200 I still was interested.

In terms of speed and focusing it's great also being lightweight and portable it's not that noticeable carrying as a 2nd or 3rd lens.

Price paid was 629 (website only seems to work with $) but it was worth it - I'm still looking to build up my prime collection with the 135, but that can wait a while.

May 22, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stephen Cooper to your Buddy List
maddog76

Registered: Oct 11, 2008
Review Date: Dec 23, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and accurate focusing. Sharp wide open, not white.
Cons:

Have been using this lens from the start of the summer til now.

Have used it indoors taking sports pics, and outdoor / indoor for long wedding shots.

This lens completey blows away my canon 'L' zooms. Cannot find one single fault.

This will be the start of my conversion to primes from zooms.

Dec 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maddog76 to your Buddy List
oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Oct 28, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact size, fantastic picture quality, very precise, and fast autofocus
Cons:
manual focus can be little bit more easy to turn

Since my first review I got an 1.4 Kenko dgx converter. I use the lens now without converter, with an 1.4X, with a 2X, and with two converters stacked. Whopping 560mm focal length with still acceptable, and sometimes surprisingly good results. With an 1.4 Kenko dgx the results are very good even wide open at f4, with a 2x good at f8, with the two converters stacked I use at f9 sometimes, or shutter priority from 1/1000 sec. I have the MK I version I prefer the built in hood.See my review and sample pictures with all combination in my website:

Oct 28, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
James Markus

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 21, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $630.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, and well built. This is probably the best value in Canon lenses.
Cons:

I found this is a surprisingly good theater lens. I know some clamor for IS versions of many lenses, but this one doesn't need anything.

Sample:

Sep 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James Markus to your Buddy List
fishyfinger

Registered: Jul 3, 2011
Review Date: Jul 14, 2012 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Better link for the review below.. Thanks for looking.
Cons:
Jul 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fishyfinger to your Buddy List
fishyfinger

Registered: Jul 3, 2011
Review Date: Jul 13, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, very fast focus, light, well made, it is mine..
Cons:
Having to pay for it! Nothing wrong with it, read the product's box and you know what you are getting..

Hello.
Well, what fun there is to be had with this lens. It is very sharp, VERY. I was going to get the 135 mm, went for the 200 mm instead. I live in Shetland and we are blessed with plenty of wildlife, more or less on our door-step, so that bit of extra reach is great for me. Works very well with my 50d, great set-up for wildlife.
The lens did surprise me at the speed that it can focus, faster than my other L lenses. I really am going off zoom lenses, primes is the way to go for me, zoom with my legs!
More fun..
Why people want IS on every lens is beyond me, none of my lenses have IS, and I cope. And I have arthritis in my fingers, hands and wrists, and still manage to sell on Getty, and exhibit work in my local art gallery.
May be it is down to technique..
Still, we are all different.
The lens is great, really.
If you are thinking about it, just buy it if you can, this lens really is THE bargain within the Canon range.
Buy it and go take great shots.
Have a look here if you have the time;http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishyfinger/
Just a few shots at the moment, more to follow.
If we ever get a summer here in Shetland..
Thanks for taking the time to read,

Tim x