Canon EOS 5D Mark II

165 192785 Mar 26, 2014
5DII_1_

• 21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).
• Automatic peripheral illumination correction.
• Magnesium alloy construction with 'additional' environmental protection
• Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.
• Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.
• High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.
• Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.
• 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.
• Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.
• 9 AF points 6 Assist AF points.
• UDMA memory card compatibility: Maximum 310 large JPEG images in a single burst with a UDMA card.

cauchy

Registered: Jan 15, 2008
Review Date: Mar 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Full frame, image quality, feels very solid, good response, video function
Cons:
banding at higher ISO settings, the CF card compartment is a little flimsy, missing capable auto ISO function and a better bracketing function

Well, what can I say that you haven't already read? Probably nothing :D

I've had this camera body now for five months and I really love it! Image quality is excellent. I never had a "better" camera body to compare it to (I had a 350D and a 40D before and I've been using a 1D mark IIn), but I'd say that if you don't get decent shots with this camera it's time to question your abilities as a photographer... The photos the camera delivers are filled with detail, colors and tones are great, as well as dynamic range!

The camera feels very solid and "valuable" - except for the CF card compartment (I really have NO idea what the heck they were thinking when they designed that). Handling is very good. One thing I love about Canon is the thumb wheel, very nice!

In terms of sensitivity, this is a huge step coming from a 350D/40D (as I did). It's hard to find noise up to ISO1600. I've recently had a quite underexposed ISO 800 shot in a very dark environment, which I processed a LOT and the result is just fantastic! Is exposed correctly ISO3200 is very good, dynamic range starts to decrease at this point but with correct exposure it's no big deal. Even ISO6400 gives very good results if exposed correctly. What blew me away is the amount of detail that can be found even in ISO6400 shots! One of my very first shots was of a cat at ISO6400 and the final images shows a very high image quality with low noise and fantastic detail rendering all the way (you can count single hair if you'd want to)! I also found that the noise that the 5D mark II exhibits can be removed quite well (I use Noise Ninja).
What bothers me sometimes is the banding and pattern noise that starts to creep up on you from around ISO6400, making any higher ISO setting hard to use (but it depends on the motive as banding will be mostly visible in the low darks).

One feature I also love about this camera is the video feature. The results are simply stunning, especially with good lenses. Just search the internet for sample videos, there is some VERY impressive material to be found!

There has been some debate about the AF of the camera. I found the AF to be very accurate, very fast, and reliable. Then again, my way of shooting only makes use of the AF point in the middle. But that has never let me down!

Overall, this is a fantastic camera (for still and for video actually) and I highly recommend it for any ambitious photographer.

Mar 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cauchy to your Buddy List
Lena85f1.2

Registered: Feb 25, 2010
Review Date: Mar 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality is out of this world, iso performance top notch , AF reliability , weather sealing, micro adjust function, just love the camera, all my glass perform so different( much better) with this body then with any other canons i owned to date. com on Canon bring 5dmklll on!!!
Cons:

highly recommended, if you need best image quality - go for it !!! ive owned this camera for more than a year now and so far so good , 5dmkll exceeded all my expectations , those who complaining about AF need to learn how to use it correctly first and then complain , with the right technique used its brilliant and never let me down , even in low light conditions!!! love the camera and couldn't recommend it highly enough!!!

Mar 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lena85f1.2 to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Mar 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, excellent HD video
Cons:
focus speed is wanting a bit..

As far as image quality goes, this is the bees knees. Also Hd video is superb. I have used the body for all sorts of photography (including motor-sports) where I find the focus doesn't keep up all the time.

I have a 75% keeper rate with this body using excellent long lens technique, as compared to 95% keeper rate with the 1DmkIIn with a higher frame rate.

Overall a great camera for what it is capable of.

Mar 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Easy Light camera house,Outstanding Good pix(Karma Canon).Quite ok build quality,low iso is terrific.In the right hands it is a very capable camera...Offers Video -very nice.Its a good camera.
Cons:
Too expensive,too slow AF(on level w the old 10D!!) , clumsy menu handling , slow in many apsects.(use manual handling instead.)

Although i think it is a slow camera both in AF mode and menu system,i still recomand this Canon 5D2 for general photojournalism,landscape and alike.

Of course, it is not intended for sports and action,although it is possible.. and i have seen colleagues with a Canon 200mm F2, making handball ,badminton ,soccer and alike with this cam.

This is not the reason why PJs like me use it every day,it has something i call a KARMA CANON about the 5D2, when you open up the files and print the pics out,you know what i talk about.

The pictures youll get with the famed Canon 5D2 is stunning,and thats what all that matters to me ,so ,in the end -noBody is perfect , right ?

I like this camera very much anyway-oh boy, (could i just have 7Ds AF fastness ,body and menusystem and and..)

Go and try the 5D now.!

Mar 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
pauljm

Registered: Jan 3, 2005
Review Date: Feb 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic image quality, small body, outstanding low ISO performance, manual HD video, cheaper than original purchase price of my 5D 1
Cons:

I really cant bear reading these reviews criticising the FPS, shutter speed etc.

I upgraded from the original 5D only because of a flooding accident, which destroyed the 5D. The difference between the two cameras is amazing. No change in focus or FPS, but the image quality esp in low light is fantastic. The live view, and HD video with full manual over ride, what is not to like ?

To be honest, if you want a higher FPS rate, or quicker auto focus, then try another model. That is not where the strength of this camera lies.

Could not be happier

Feb 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pauljm to your Buddy List
Julius

Registered: Jan 26, 2002
Review Date: Feb 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built camera, ideal for Landscape Photography
Cons:
No eye piece shutter just a cheap rubber eye piece cover which is clumsy to use.

Since my main interest is Landscape Photography this was the camera which made me switch back from Nikon. I used to have the 5D before I switched to Nikon which I also liked, but this camera with the 21 MP has a real advantage in Landscape type of picture taking especially when it comes to cropping to get the right composition.
I like this camera a lot and I consider it the ideal Landscape camera on the budget. I could never afford to buy the big Professional 1D MKxs version and it is too heavy for me to carry it around anyway.
I am pleased with the features of the camera and the end results I am getting are stunningly beautiful.

Feb 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Julius to your Buddy List
Ozimax

Registered: Nov 2, 2003
Review Date: Feb 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, focussing ability, 3D effect, high ISO quality
Cons:
Clunky operation, heavy, slow frame rate, huge file sizes

I upgraded a few months from my venerable 40D, an outstanding camera in most respects. Those who criticize this camera (if they have a good copy) obviously do not know much about practical photography. The images this camera takes (coupled with a good lens) are astonishing. This can be borne by the fact that the majority of world class wedding photographers use this body alone for their photography business.

It is clunky to operate, no doubt. It is not as ergonomically pleasing as even the 7D. However, the focussing ability is simple but spot on. The colours it gives are outstanding. JPEGs straight from the box are spectacular (why shoot raw when the jpegs are this good?).

Is the D700 as good? I haven't used it, but from all accounts it most probably is, but no better. As I now have Canon glass there was no reason to seriously consider it. (Why is Nikon glass so expensive?)

In summary, I am extremely pleased with this purchase for my photography business, and have already won awards for the images it produces.

Pricing on the 5D Mkii is now very competitive. Any budding landscape/wedding/portrait photographers considering a 5DMkii? Go for it. Sell your tripod and your flashes while you're at it - you won't need them!

Feb 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ozimax to your Buddy List
mediluz

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Review Date: Jan 23, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

It took me a while after posting the previous review to realize that unsatisfactory image quality was not due to a lack of sharpness nor resolution, but to faulty focusing! Rather strangely, the same defect was present in TWO consecutive samples and I've been unwilling to try to set it in a brand-new camera. The dealer was fair; finally the third sample seems to work fine and, notwithstanding some disappointment for what seems could be avoided by stricter quality control, the camera works well. Besides the previously reported remarks on better features at high ISO and some useful new functions, an appreciable increase in details/resolution is now appreciable as well, as compared to the previous 5D.

Jan 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mediluz to your Buddy List
mediluz

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Review Date: Jan 21, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Low noise at high Iso
Cons:
Resolution under expectations

The direct comparison with 5D is somehow disappointing, images being bigger but (much) less detailed than could be expected from 21 MP. The most striking feature is a relevant noise reduction at high ISO speed, so that at least 1 full stop is gained in terms of real availability in subdued light. This is however accompanied by some detail smoothing and sharpness may need to be increased by the nice and rather easy to use Canon utilities.
Using the camera is intuitive and useful features have been added, like sensor cleaning or peripheral illumination correction specifically dedicated to vignetting of each lens .
Overall, I agree with previous comments stating the camera is not worth its price and does not fully match expectations when compared with its previous.

Jan 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mediluz to your Buddy List
mttran

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Dec 27, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: LCD, Video
Cons:
AF, low Iso chroma noise and banding noise

5D Mark II still is a sluggish shutter response camera. Out of date AF, especially in low light, very disappointing when using with f2.0 or larger lenses. The resolution and image quality are better at hi-iso, but low iso flaws such as chroma noise & banding noise at any high DR scene, etc... can not be accepted when compared to older cameras at low iso.

I don’t think it is worth $1000 to upgrade from the old 5D since my expectations were perhaps too high for AF and whole iso range.

Dec 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mttran to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Dec 13, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: ISO!!!
Cons:
Price, poor focusing for actions and weddings

- What I like is the great picture quality at higher ISO speeds. I think this is what really distinguishes the 5D Mark II from the old 5D.
- The MARK II is a better camera in many respects compared to the old 5D but I don’t think it is worth $1000 to upgrade from the old 5D. If you go to my blog and browse through my pictures you will see the LACK of picture quality difference. http://www.haringphotography.com/blog/
After a wedding when I look at the pictures I notice the image quality difference between pictures due to the lens I use on my cameras (I shoot with a 5D Mark II, an old 5D and a 40D). (My main lenses: 85mm 1.2, 35mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS, etc). I don't really notice the difference between the old and the new 5D when the conditions are similar and I use the same lens. If you shoot the same picture with the same lens with both (new and old 5D) cameras you WON’T notice the difference whatever Canon and all the stores, web shops claim. They just want to sell you the new camera. There is almost no difference!
- Focusing is STILL a struggle in low light! There is no difference between the old and the new 5D. They want you to buy the 1D if you wan to have decent focus.... If you have missed important shoots with your old 5D in low light conditions, I guarantee you are going to miss those pictures with the new 5D as well!
- You can record good quality videos with very expensive lenses only (like 35mm 1.4, etc)!
- Photoshop RAW update needed! It is still not included on the install disk! CS4 won’t open the 5d Mark II RAW files.
- Battery is not compatible with older models (50D, 5D Mark I, etc.) Battery doesn’t last as long as older batteries so you need a second or third battery for weddings.

If I were you I would rather spend the money on an expensive lens and buy a barely used old 5D. You would make better pictures at the end!

Dec 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
lamontsanders

Registered: Apr 7, 2009
Review Date: Dec 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Total package. Takes fantastic pictures. Honestly a bargain at it's price.
Cons:
Wished it had a higher FPS rate and wish it had better sealing; I bought 1D3 for that.

Unbelievable. I had an XTi then a 1Ds II and this puts those to shame. If you don't need the build quality/sealing or focus of a 1D series camera, this is your winner. Absolute beast of a camera. This paired with a fast FPS body (1D4, 1D3, 1D2/n, 7D, xxD) is the perfect combination. If you just need one body - buy this. It's fantastic.

Dec 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lamontsanders to your Buddy List
MikeDotephoto

Registered: Oct 18, 2008
Review Date: Nov 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,325.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Awesome IQ, Great ISO performance
Cons:
Too few autofocus points, big file size, crappy FPS

I've had this camera a little over a month and it's amazing for what I need. I shoot events, portraiture and some PJ work and it excels in all of those categories. I have a 1dmkII for action and sports... but that camera is getting neglected because the difference in IQ and high ISO performance is so noticeable.

My only gripes with the 5d2, are that the huge files have overloaded my macbook and have forced me to invest in an additional terabyte and a half of storage and that there are too few autofocus points. I hate when the camera struggles to focus in low light, and I can't track anything moving.

You really need a quad-core desktop or a super-powerful laptop to do post-processing for this camera appropriately. I have a 2.2 ghtz macbook with 4 gigs of ram and it works ok for the files for this camera, but it is still a lot slower than I would like. My small hard drive also means that I constantly need to dump my files to external hard drives.

Nov 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MikeDotephoto to your Buddy List
AbramG

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Nov 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Relatively light weight (w/o grip), very clean high ISO, awesome resolution, 1080p video (keeps getting better with each firmware update), great LCD, better build quality than old 5D.
Cons:
The AF is still only 9 points, and only the center point is truly reliable, a little bummed that it only does 3.9fps, but that's not what I bought it for....

I have been using my 5DmkII now for about 6 months, it really is a wonderful camera! The video ability is not something I thought I would really use, but as it turns out, I've been shooting a whole lot of video! Not to mention the fact that the video quality is SO GOOD.

This is most definitely not a sports camera, but what it excels at is portraiture. It is a dream in the studio, and pretty affordable too!

The 21mp resolution files are pretty huge, you will need to adapt to that by increasing your storage capacities, not just memory cards, but also hard drives for your computer!

I most definitely recommend this camera to anyone looking for the finest quality portraits, or the finest quality of 1080p full-frame video!

Nov 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AbramG to your Buddy List
brimo

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image quality, nothing comes near it, superb detail, more accurate colour rendering compared with xxD bodies. Mine touchwood has no creaks and groans and AF works well enough for what it is. The performance and image quality for the price point for a full frame make it very good value.
Cons:
Non that i have found yet

Oct 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add brimo to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Oct 14, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Full frame shots, image quality, well built
Cons:
none yet

Price was with the 24-105 lens. Getting great shots but was wondering how many shots people are getting from their battery. It does seem to last longer then other cameras but wondering if I need to get a 2nd battery for weddings? I am thinking it might be good enough to do a complete wedding...... the batteries are also more expensive then other cameras I have owned.

Oct 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 5D Mark II