Canon EOS 5D Mark II

165 192776 Mar 26, 2014
5DII_1_

21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).
Automatic peripheral illumination correction.
Magnesium alloy construction with 'additional' environmental protection
Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.
Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.
High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.
Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.
3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.
Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.
9 AF points 6 Assist AF points.
UDMA memory card compatibility: Maximum 310 large JPEG images in a single burst with a UDMA card.

Page:  10 · 11

mmari

Registered: Mar 20, 2008
Review Date: Dec 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: they put back the buttons on the side of the lcd, much better than at the bottom. still usable ISO6400, i wont hesitate using this ISO range when needed. HD video capable
Cons:
price. needs high speed CF upgrade. 21MP is over kill.

my main reason of buy this DSLR is the high & clean ISO capability, not to mention is FF sensor.

HD video capability is also fine to have with but 21MP is overkill for me.

btw, the kit lens is superb.

Dec 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmari to your Buddy List
CTO-Photos

Registered: Dec 2, 2004
Review Date: Nov 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great screen, full frame, familiar feel for those upgrading from 30D or 40D. Side buttons are better than the bottom buttons on the 40D. ISOs up to 3200 provide good quality. HD Video opens up new possibilities
Cons:
Lots of noise on ISO 6400 and up. Live View is still pretty fiddly. Shutter is noisier than the 40D

It was a long wait for this camera, so the anticipation has been building. I put my name on the wait list the day it was announced. I received the beast yesterday. A few hundred frames and several .movs later, it has produced some decent results, but nothing totally amazing yet. With the 14 mm mounted, it does create a unique perspective! Panning in movie mode with the 14 mm is a completely different effect.

On the other hand the L-Series lenses that were altogether crisp are now revealing their edge sharpness weaknesses, so there are a bunch of new considerations about tools that I thought I knew, but only the context of the APS-C sensor and film.

So far AWB seems not as accurate as for the 40D. The lens peripheral illumination correction only affects jpegs and RAW images have to be corrected in ACR, CS4 or DPP. (Fortunately Adobe put out an update to support the 5D Mark II just in time for me.)

HD video is a whole new game with a whole new set of issues, but for those of who do both still and video, it will definitely be exciting.

This camera is keeper, but it is also clearly only the first in a series that will ultimately result in something that handles both stills and video in a more integrated and effortless fashion.

More to come...

Nov 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CTO-Photos to your Buddy List
Chris Bennett

Registered: Jul 30, 2007
Review Date: Nov 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Class leading image quality. Build quality. Clean high ISO files, Remarkable video quality. User interface. Screen in varied light. Size and weight. Modular system with grip.
Cons:
Availability (currently). Poor histogram display. Small AF area.

The original 5D broke new ground by making Canon's unique and outstanding 35mm chip affordable. It really leapfrogged the, then top of the line EOS 1 Ds Mk II by improving on its image quality in low light and adding a more advanced user interface and a larger screen. I loved my 5D. I had it since it was launched. When the 1Ds Mk III was announced. It promised a similar jump while giving back the tank-like build and reliability of the 1 series cameras. This came at a greater price of course. I have been shooting exclusively with the 1Ds Mk III since it became available. It was hard to imagine how to significantly improve it as a high resolution DSLR until the 5D Mk II was announced. This camera promised to do the leapfrog thing again.

I am happy to say, after just two days of owning my new 5D Mk II that it is clearly the leader of the pack in terms of image quality. The feel of the 21 MP chip has not changed from the 1Ds Mk III but it does it at comfortably a stop and a half less light. I think I'm being pretty conservative in saying that. Exposure, colour balance, contrast and saturation all required very little tweaking when processed through an Adobe Raw pipeline. Very nice images, straight from the camera.

The user interface is much evolved from the original 5D though it lacks some of the high end features on the current one series cameras. This is totally understandable considering the price difference. There is a lot of talk about the new screen with resolution to match Nikon's recent cameras. It is a great screen but the older 3 inch screen from the 1D/s III cameras did a fine job. This one is impressive in its visibility in bright light. I thought the auto brightness might be a problem when judging exposure but, in reality, I think it works very well. The menu system is up to date with the EOS 50D which means it is pretty easy to get to where you want. My major gripe with all of the recent EOS cameras is that the histogram display has a background which is very dark grey against black. Like most of us, I don't care so much about the middle of the graph but I really need to see the clipping points at each end. The display might look cool but a really important piece of shooting information is compromised for the sake of styling. Come on Canon!

The AF is very similar to the original 5D though there are some reported upgrades. By comparison with 1 series cameras, its relatively small diamond of 9 AF points seems a bit limited. In reality it works fine for most situations this camera is intended for. It does seem more snappy than my 5D Mk I did but that is pretty subjective. It is a good autofocus system. Frame rate is up slightly to 3.9 fps. Though not the highest by any means, this is fine. Sports photographers should be looking at other Canon cameras anyway. It's actually very impressive considering the enormous files. The 1Ds Mk III uses two processors to achieve 5 fps.

The live view is improving all of the time. Canon has been behind Sony and Nikon in this area. Now there is a form of autofocus but it isn't going to break any speed records. It is a big design challenge to acheive this off the sensor that is recording the final image. This is really only important in movie mode. I'm not a movie make (though I do have some experience), but all I can say is, believe the hype! The first clip I shot was in virtual candle light. Shaky, yes but so clean and sharp. As this is not a dedicated movie camera and Canon, quite understandable doesn't want to destroy their other markets, the camera lacks many of the control features of a dedicated video camera. You can't change frame rate and focusing options are limited but all in all this 1080p HD capability is a very generous gift from Canon. The camera is superb value. Get on the waiting list now.

I can't wait to see what the next generation of one series cameras have in stall but for now, I'm going to use this little beauty to evolve my career.

Nov 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Bennett to your Buddy List
Rob Chisholm

Registered: Sep 15, 2006
Review Date: Nov 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Improvements from 5D: Less shutter lag, shutter is less "soft", LCD and menu greatly improved, autofocus is slightly better than original, ISO/low light ability is absolutely amazing -- ISO 6400 looks like ISO 1600 did on the 5D. IQ looks possibly even better than the original. Body is slightly more robust.
Cons:
Well, the build is not that of a 1 series, but did anyone really expect that? I don't know if there are really any cons -- you get a whole lot of cam for $2600.

Well, I have been a Canon user and fan for several years now, having graduated from a Digital Rebel XT to a 5D. I loved and used my 5D for about 2 years, but was seduced by the "cool" aspects of the Nikon D300 when that cam was introduced. I loved the "usability" of the Nikon -- The micro focus adjustment, the better build, the increased functions from the 5D. But, I missed the IQ and elegance of the 5D, so I bought another Canon 5D, rebuilt my lens collection and waited for the 5DII, in hopes that it would be more than just a 5D with a monster sensor...

OK, I will admit that I was prepared for Canon to let me down, what with all the 1DIII nonsense and with a lackluster 50D. Thankfully, I was wrong. The 5D2 is what I hoped for, but was afraid Canon wouldn't provide.

The 5D2 has a better build (check), micro-adjust (check), more responsive shutter with less lag (check), better LCD and menu (check), a host of other customizable options, and ISO capabilities that are, compared to the 5D, simply amazing! Seriously, ISO 6400 looks like 1600 on the 5D. I am thrilled about that.

The files look great. The IQ seems terrific (I have to pixel peep some more) and the RAWs out of the camera seem quite sharp, so I think the AA filter is possibly no stronger than the original.

The autofocus seems slightly better than the original, but I really never had any problem with the original either. I am not a sports shooter.

I have not spent any time with the video yet.

In short, I am very pleased. I am sure some will say the build is not good enough -- in truth, I think the D700 is still built better. However, where the original 5D body felt sort of cheap or fragile, the new one is much more robust thus closer to the tough Nikon bodies. Someone is also sure to complain that the frames per second are too few. Can't please everyone.

In fact, I think the complaints about this cam will be the same as the original 5D -- only the difference between what people want today and what Canon delivered in this camera compared to the original 5D will be much less (with things like build/weathersealing/frames per second/autofocus). And what you do get -- the IQ, the ISO, the 1Ds3 Sensor -- is just outstanding for the price. Oh, and there is video too, right? Which cam at this price point can really compete?

None at this time.

Nov 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob Chisholm to your Buddy List
Fr3d

Registered: Nov 28, 2008
Review Date: Nov 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, overall responsiveness, fast AF, bright viewfinder, high iso performance, buffer and writing speed (with sandisk extreme), very good awb
Cons:
top LCD backlight could be a bit brighter and stay on longer. On/Off Button has a cheap feel to it.

The image quality is stunning and the operation fast and (for me) intuitive. I shot some night street scenes at ISO3200,4000 and 6400 and am more than delighted with the noise performance. 4fps are more
than enough for me. The AWB surprised me, it seems to be right on
most of the time.

Above ISO 3200 a bit of NR clears the image nicely when in pixel peeping mode. If your software doesn't support the new RAW files of the 5D Mark II you can convert them to DNG with the free Adobe DNG Converter 5.2.

I really like this camera and would recommend it to anyone who needs an overall fast and capable fullframe camera.

Nov 28, 2008