Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

108 156882 May 7, 2014
8.7
sigma50-14jpg

Standard lens with large maximum aperture of F1.4.
It creates sharp images with high contrast and ensures superior peripheral brightness.
Incorporates molded glass aspherical lens, perfectly correcting coma aberration and creating superior image quality.
Super multi-layer lens coating reduces flare and ghosting.
Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensuring silent, high-speed AF.

• Lens Construction 8 Elements in 6 Groups
• Angle of View 46.8 degrees
• Number of Diaphragm Blades 9 Blades
• Minimum Aperture F16
• Minimum Focusing Distance 45cm/17.7 in.
• Maximum Magnification 1:7.4
• Filter Size Diameter 77mm/3 in.
• Dimensions Diameter 84.5mm X Length 68.2mm
3.3 in. X 2.7 in.
• Weight 505g/17.8 oz

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7

awong

Registered: Jun 21, 2007
Review Date: Dec 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, even wide open (Very impressive vs. the canon 50mm 1.4), quick focus for the most part, color is right on
Cons:
hunts a little bit in the dark when using outer AF points

The price almost kept me away from the lens but the quality after my first few times out with it keeps impressing me! I've never enjoyed the Sigma finish and the quickness you can see light marks so -1 for that. For the extra price, you get the hood and leather zip pouch which is an added bonus and their generous warranty as well.

I didn't have any real issues with this lens, just a little hunting in low light conditions while using the outer AF points in the aquarium and some night time shooting.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the lens and it was well worth the money... I took some full body shots... and was amazed at the clarity and detail that it picked up even on the smallest facial features

Dec 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add awong to your Buddy List
Rob Chisholm

Registered: Sep 15, 2006
Review Date: Dec 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The lens draws very nicely. Color is accurate. Bokeh is soft without harsh outlines.
Cons:
Price compared to other 50 1.4's but it is built better than Canon's.

50 is a love it or hate it focal length. I tend to gravitate to the 50mm over the 85 for some reason. On my original 5D, the Canon 50 1.4 was the stable prime. On my 5D2, I debated whether to purchase a new Canon 50 1.4 (sold the old one), get the 50 1.2, or go with the sigma. I have previously owned a Sigma 30 1.4 on a cropped body and gotten some fantastic results. So, I decided to give the Sigma 50 a try; I like the look that Sigma primes render -- the bokeh tends to be smooth and they stay pretty sharp wide open, at least centrally.

The copy of the sigma I purchased is sharp centrally from 1.6 and up. A touch soft at 1.4 I have not yet tried the micro focus adjust on the cam. Hopefully this might improve the sharpness wide open. However, the images seem to sharpen up very well in post, and the out of focus rendering is wonderfully smooth, so I am very pleased. I like the look of this lens wide open over the Canon 1.2 at 1.4.

Build seems excellent.

Overall, very satisfied and would purchase a sigma 85 1.? prime if such a lens was released and had similar characteristics over purchasing the Canon 1.2. With Sigma, you seem to get a lot of lens for the money.

Dec 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob Chisholm to your Buddy List
mahonet

Registered: Nov 30, 2008
Review Date: Nov 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp even wide open and also with full sensor body. Autofocus of my copy is excellent.
Cons:
weight

A very good new prime lens by Sigma. I have read about inconsistency problems with it΄s autofocus, but my copy works really well!
Compared to canon 50 f1.4 I am very satisfied with this lens especially concerning it΄s ability to produce sharp and CA-free pictures in apertures f1.4-2.0. The bokeh compared to Canon eqv. is more beautiful. Compared to Canon 35 f 1.4 not as sharp wide open but otherwise nearly as good. Good forth of money, if you get a good copy.

Nov 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mahonet to your Buddy List
abqnmusa

Registered: May 11, 2006
Posts: 2085
Review Date: Nov 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp wide open at F1.4 & stopped down, quick and reliable focus, good color and contrast in the images.
Cons:
a bit heavy, but not really a negative. The image quality is worth the extra weight.

I was never happy with the Canon EF 50mm F1.4. I found it next to useless from F1.4 to F2.2 due to lack of sharpness due to ghosting and flare.

The Sigma 50mm is quite a bit bigger and heavier but very well made. It is built like an L lens.

The image quality is excellent. The lens is sharp from F1.4 and stopped down. I do not have the problems with ghosting & flare the Canon 50 had. The focus has been fast and reliable.

Overall this has been an excellent purchase. I would recommend to others looking for a fast 50mm that support full frame.

Nov 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abqnmusa to your Buddy List
agnius

Registered: Nov 10, 2008
Review Date: Nov 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, auto focus right on the money on Canon 5D, small (compared to 28-70 f2.8), bright
Cons:
Mount is tight - not as smooth mounting as with Canon lenses

I like photographing at night, especially on Halloween. I like going to the West Hollywood parade and take portraits of people there. First attempt was to put f1.0 lens on Canon 1n 10 years ago ended up in a disaster - camera would not focus in the dark. Then, following year, I rented a Leica M6 with a f1.4 50mm - I could focus, but not fast enough for moving targets, but it was possible to work with pre-focusing. Then, exposures were off as there was no metering automation in the camera. Later, I acquired Konica Hexar Silver. Hexar could focus in the dark, would take great pictures, and I thought I was set. Then came digital revolution... I was back to the square one. I wish there was a rangefinder type digital camera with IR autofocus system. The rumors of digital Hexar never came true. Maybe Nikon will have a rangefinder type system coming in the future? Well, this year I rented Canon f1.2 50mm for my 5D, and was quite surprised. That lens was way sharper than my beloved f2.8 28-70, but still focusing was a problem. Next year I plan on using flash with a lumisphere, that should give some reasonably nice light to the darkness shots. But I regress. Canon's 50mm made me think of adding another prime to my shooting kit (I have f2.8 20mm, which I never considered that highly, just passable). I considered Canon's f1.4 50mm, but based on reviews available decided to forgo because of halation reports wide open. Sigma was a new kid on a a block, with good potential. So I bit the bullet and ordered one. I am very pleased with the results. I feel like I just saved a bunch of money over f1.2 50mm from Canon. Works great with 5D! I also use 25mm extension ring for close up shots, I feel this lens is very nice for that too. Lens has a nice finish to it, non slippery sandblasted feel. Color saturation and contrast are good. There is flare if you shooting into the sun (I did not have the included hood on though). There is a shot at f1.4 at iso 800, 1/25th sec - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/3035298268_b6b88a814b_b.jpg
Close up shot - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/3034450611_8e97cbe31c_b.jpg

Nov 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add agnius to your Buddy List
Jack White

Registered: Nov 12, 2006
Review Date: Nov 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Pleasing bokeh, sharp, excellent contrast, HSM is pretty fast
Cons:
Mine required a small AF fine tuning on D300

Simply the best autofocus 50mm out there today. Twice the size of typical 50mm lenses but it balances well on heavier Nikon bodies. Mine required +5 dialed in with the AF-tuning but after that it was spot on. The sharpest autofocus 50mm I've used to date. Autofocus is silent. Build quality is excellent.

Nov 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jack White to your Buddy List
PasiM

Registered: Jan 25, 2008
Review Date: Nov 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice price
Cons:

It΄s not as sharp as my 35L or 85L but very close.

AF is not perfect. It tends to front focus at close range a bit.

More i΄m surprised that CA is controlled extremely well, even wide open.
No complaints about IQ.

This piece of glass is sure a keeper!

Nov 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add PasiM to your Buddy List
bklyn_g

Registered: Oct 8, 2008
Review Date: Nov 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: build.
Cons:
soft wide open, CA, heavy, huge.

I had two copies of this lens.
Both were very soft with lots of halation at f1.4. I sold my Canon 50mm f1.4 thinking this was much better (based on reviews). I was wrong. The Canon 50mm f1.4 was sharper stopped down and wide open, while still soft, did not exhibit the halation of the Sigma. I returned it and bought the Canon again...

This from a true-believer in Sigma primes. I LOVE my Sigma 30mm f1.4. Its on my camera almost all the time. That lens is super sharp with insane color and brightness.

Probably just had bad copies, but had to post the truth...

Nov 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bklyn_g to your Buddy List
sankeycottage

Registered: Jun 29, 2008
Review Date: Nov 5, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $580.00

Pros: Fast lens for standard or portrait. Good focal lenth on D700 or D90. Colour rendition very good and better than normal sharpness for standard lens.
Cons:
Tried three different lenses all sent back with chronic faults! Sigma's QC is now almost a joke. Lens is quite heavy to have in place for long periods.

I have a Nikon D700 and a Nikon D90 and this lens with it's fast f1.4 and build looked to be a good buy. I have bought quite a few top of the range Sigma's over the years but more and more seem to have in-built faults with them. Neither the original one sent to me or the two replacements worked well. The first 2 would not close focus and the third stuck altogether. There are many similar comments re Sigma lenses and it seems that in their haste to compete with the "Big Boys" that their QC has gone out of the window!

Nov 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sankeycottage to your Buddy List
kendallkoning

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Nov 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great contrast, sharp wide open, wide aperture, smooth bokeh, good full frame performance.
Cons:
Autofocus quality control.

This really is a wonderful piece of glass. Yes, it's razor sharp, but even more important, it has great contrast even wide open. (It's a little like doing a local contrast enhancement in Photoshop but optically, obviously.) The wide aperture helps to throw the background out of focus, and the out of focus areas (bokeh) are very smooth. I prefer it greatly to my old Canon 50/1.4. It's a wonderful lens for people, particularly candids and environmental portraits. A disproportionate number of shots from this lens make their way onto my favorites list.

There have been a lot of people reporting focus problems, though, more people and more consistently than what would otherwise be expected as background noise. I returned my first copy, due to some of the worst focus performance I'd ever seen, but the second copy has been rock solid. Just buy it from a merchant with a reasonable return policy. Be reasonable too though, the DOF is thin at 1.4, and AF isn't perfect.

Nov 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kendallkoning to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Nov 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $490.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great 50. Sharp enough to use at F1.4. Faster to focus than my other 50's, esp. in low light.
Cons:
Bigish for a 50. Not too sharp at the edges wide open.

used if for about a two weeks so far. Great lens, in fact it has helped to re-ignite my 50 interest.

Nov 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Nov 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp wide open, quick and spot-on AF, very good build, price, good looking :))
Cons:

absolutely fantastic lens!!! considering price best 50mm. used on 5D with great success.

Nov 1, 2008