Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

52 184900 Jun 27, 2013
efs55-250_f4is_586x225_1_

This telephoto zoom lens is designed with Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer technology while retaining compactness and lightness, in response to demands of photographers. This high zoom ratio lens is equivalent to a focal length of 88-400mm in the 35mm format (when used on Canon EOS cameras compatible with EF-S lenses), and the image stabilizer effect equivalent to a shutter speed about 4 stops faster than the same size lens without Image Stabilizer. In other words, if the slowest shutter speed you could formerly hold a 250mm lens steadily was 1/250th of a second, with Canon's 4-stop stabilization correction, you could hand-hold at shutter speeds as slow as 1/15th of a second. It also uses a UD-glass lens element to correct chromatic aberration for excellent image quality throughout the zoom range. This new EF-S telephoto lens with great features delivers excellent performance at an affordable price for all photographers.

• Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 55-250mm f/4-5.6

• Lens Construction: 12 elements in 10 groups, including one UD-glass element

• Diagonal Angle of View: 27° 50'- 6° 15' (with APS-C image sensors)

• Focus Adjustment: DC motor, gear-driven (front focusing design)

• Closest Focusing Distance: 3.6 ft./1.1m (maximum close-up magnification 0.31x)

• Filter Size: 58mm

• Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.8 in. x 4.3 in./70 x 108mm (maximum lens length); 13.8 oz./390g

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

Bopperkat

Registered: Dec 10, 2010
Review Date: Jan 11, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: IS, weight, range, price
Cons:
build quality, IQ in the long range

Yes you can actually get good results even for sports - if it´s a sunny day. A cropped image of a race horse http://www.flickr.com/photos/bopperkat/4649699692/sizes/l/in/set-72157625666810973/ (1/2000s, f5.6, 90mm, ISO 400). So this one does not prove IQ in the telerange, sunny or not. But why don´t you get the EF 200 mm f/2.8 L II USM instead? It is a superb lens at a very reasonable price, maybe 2,5 times the price of EF-S 55-250.

Jan 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bopperkat to your Buddy List
kurtis miller

Registered: Jan 11, 2007
Review Date: Jan 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: cheap, very usable focal range, compact for a zoom, image stabilization, nearly weightless, respective image quality, macro
Cons:
plastic back, dust sucker

My lens was bought at Walmart... it's that common of a lens.

I work at a horseback trail riding stable, and was using a 50mm prime to photograph the riders. There is a bunch of legwork to frame the riders with the background no mater what lens I use, but there is a need to zoom in on some great moments so using a prime is constrictive.

I had a chance to use a 75-300mm and found that the zoom was great to have, but it was too long even at 75mm to get the mountains behind the riders, so I had to use 2 cameras if I wanted to get everything until the 55-250 came to light.

As stated in my pros: cheap, very usable focal range, compact for a zoom, image stabilization, nearly weightless, respective image quality, macro...it is perfect for the amount or moving and shaking I am doing for getting the shot. On a Rebel with grip this lens is so accommodating to my purpose.

The IQ really has impressed me (and my customers) for what this lens is. The image stabilization obviously helps. It is pretty sharp and PP helps to make the images really pop.

I work in well lit conditions so the slow nature of this lens is not much of a problem, but I still rarely shoot with at anything lower than 200 ISO. Lens flair is not too bad, but it does flair.

Dust has gotten into this lens after 1 years use...in a dusty environment. Send it off to Canon to get cleaned? Probably.

If there was a better version of this lens, built like the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS priced accordingly, I would buy it to replace the plastic one I already love.

Jan 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kurtis miller to your Buddy List
Kitrix

Registered: Dec 21, 2010
Review Date: Dec 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $190.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wide-zoom-range: 55-250mm (x1.6) = 88-400mm Size: Small-compact and light-weight Price: Very low, New under $200 and ... it has IS
Cons:
If I am being picky, the front-element-rotate is the only thing I can think of. I strongly disagree with other reviewers putting poor-image quality as Negative aspect when we are only paying $200.

This is my first review after being a follower of FM for a couple years ... I finally have to leave a comment ... since I can't see this best dollar-to-value lens rated just under 9, when it should be easily a 9.5+ lens ...

There many competitor lenses in this zoom range:
- 70-200 f2.8 IS II USM ($2,500)
- 70-200 f2.8 IS USM ($1,800)
- 70-200 f2.8 USM ($1,300)
- 70-200 f4 IS USM ($1,200)
- 70-200 f4 USM ($550)
- 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM ($550)
- 70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM ($1,450)
- 28-300 f3.5-5.6L IS USM ($2,400)
- 35-350 f3-5.6L IS USM ($2,400)
- 55-250 f4-5.6 IS ($200?? seriously only $200?)
etc ...

Actually, I am sorry I made a very wrong mistake when I am comparing an apple to an orange ...
Because none of them above without costing me a fortune ...
and none of them above can fit in my travel size carrying case ... To me, shooting picture shall be fun ... but when I can't afford or carrying a huge Canon Cannon to travel, the fun just isn't there ... on the other hand, carrying the 55-250 is just a size of a soda can, I can handle it much easier.

and for those who said it is EF-S, it can't be used it on FF ...
then you should not leave a review here ... just like you should not leave a Nikon lens review in Canon session.

Sorry, enough of my disagreement.

Simply, I found myself shooting pictures with a lot of joys when using this little plastic. With the range 55-250 (88-400mm after 1.6), I can reach anything about 6ft away. My 24L 1.4 is my main walkaround lens, since it has 1.4 I can basically catch any pictures with just a little bit of light with no flash. Then, the 55-250 covered the range beyond.

Nothing can be done beyond 150mm when handheld without IS.
The IS works fantastic in this lens. I shoot wild animals or zoo animals, sport players in a game, etc ... SHARP, SHARP SHARP!
oh, and I just shot Lunar eclipse last night, as Sharp as I can clearly draw the texture of Lunar with this $200 piece of equipment.

Front-element-rotate is the only Neg. as I mention, since I got an after-market hood, when I put-on/take-off the hood, I also would turn the front element by force, every time I do that, I am afraid I might hurt the rotor inside.

Thank you Canon for making it with plastic without USM, so it can be priced only $200. I am loving it~ =D

Dec 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kitrix to your Buddy List
Bopperkat

Registered: Dec 10, 2010
Review Date: Dec 18, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: IS, price, range, weight
Cons:
picture quality in the tele range

I used to own this. It´s fantastic for the money - on the other hand, there´s not so much of it. I firmly believe to manufacture a decent tele zoom will require a multiple investment. Probably this is better on the short focals. From http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=251&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=1&LensComp=456&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=1&APIComp=2

you can see that it is definitely better than EF-S 17-85 mm f 4/5.6 IS USM, at 70mm with f 5.6. On the other hand, it is inferior to EF 24-105 mm f 4 IS USM by a landslide, as well as to its kit partner EF-S 18-55 mm f 3.5/5.6 IS, but as the range is different the comparison is not fair. (I hold on to this view even if the comparison at 55mm would not support it ).

I don´t like the colors of this lens, overall it produces smudgy pictures. These days I only shoot RAW, but I never shot in RAW with this one, so it´s difficult to say if shooting in that form would make a difference. To contradict myself, here´s a decent one (and the whole set, for that matter)

Dec 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bopperkat to your Buddy List
rhrm

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Sep 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight, sharpness, compact, 5x usable zoom
Cons:
for the price, none!!!

I bought this lens for 2 years ... The best value that could exist! Excellent optics, autofocus is good for the price. There are people putting too much cons, for example, made of plastic, which rotates external zoom, which is not USM, which is not f: 2.8 ... but also what they want through a lens of less than $ 200.00?

This lens is AMAZING. I never believed that Canon would make an amateur lens with such clarity, and succeeded. I always had to buy L lenses because of lack of sharpness of the lens does not "L" in this aspect Nikon has always been the ultimate in cost-effective.

Retired my 70-200 2.8L IS, and I'm only using this 55-250, and I'll say I do not miss any of that anvil to take everywhere. Yes, I replaced the 70-200 2.8L, someone here will say I'm crazy? If I was ok, but at least I have clear pictures and my back is intact in 10 years ...

Sep 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rhrm to your Buddy List
jasonpatrick

Registered: Jul 8, 2010
Review Date: Aug 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, great zoom range, fast focus (even though it's non USM) Image quality is excellent for price, uses 58mm filters etc.
Cons:
when compared to the price...nothing's really a negative. Just par for the course.

I picked this lens up after I sold my 75-300. I couldn't be more pleased with the result. I didn't think the 75-300 was too bad of a lens despite the poor reviews. I have a crop camera, so it only uses the center of the shot. Yeah it was soft pretty much at all ranges...but I wasn't using it to capture landscapes. Primarily I used it to take pictures of a single object (animal, bird, person) at long ranges. You don't need the edges sharp when you're purposely blurring them...

Anyway, enough about that lens. This one blows that one away! Image stabilization on a telephoto makes shooting handheld a ton of fun! Despite being super light (feels like a toy) it produces sharp images! Your keeper rate will triple if you're use to a telephoto without IS. The focus is fast and tracks well. I compared this lens to the 70-200 f/4 and the 70-300 IS recently because I was considering upgrading. The "L" lens produced photos that were sharper (I'm a closet pixel peeper). Colors were better too...but I still have more keepers with my far less expensive image stabilized lens. The images from the 70-300 were basically identical. Unless you're able to swing for the 70-200 f/4 with IS, I'd hang onto this one. I wouldn't bother with the 70-300 IS unless you need the extra 50mm or don't want to sell when you upgrade to full frame. When I can upgrade, I will, but as the "L" lens with IS costs 5x more then the one I have...I'll be shooting with it for some time. It's the best value out there for someone looking to add reach to their crop camera.

Aug 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jasonpatrick to your Buddy List
LPrimeFreak

Registered: Jul 29, 2010
Review Date: Jul 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: feather light, compact, super range, sharp, IS, cheap
Cons:
f4-5.6

Price rating is definitely a 10, you get so much for the price!!!
Just like the 'fantastic plastic', best price/quality.

Had this one on my 40D, superlight, cheap, sharp, IS and great range (250mm x 1.6).

The ideal budget starter together with the Tamron 17-50 2.8!
My 2 friends both this set to start on my recommendation and are very happy with this!

Don't spend your money on a kit with 17-85 for example, better buy a body only with above 2 lenses!

I had to sell it cause I went to fullframe, but I was just on the edge to sell it for a 70-200L f4 IS. This is a class higher, it's white but it's also light.

With this lens I took one of my best portrait pictures at 200mm with great bokeh, so I have good memories on this lens Wink

Now for the 55-250 range I use primes 85-135-200mm.
Don't mind to change lenses, for the best image quality ever Wink

Jul 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LPrimeFreak to your Buddy List
Allan Gobin

Registered: Jun 17, 2007
Review Date: May 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap price, light weight, IS, good IQ.
Cons:

I both this lens and the 70-200 f4. The bottom line is, if IQ is your highest concern then get a L-Class len. The 70-200 is easily 20% sharper. Color and contrast is close. This is a good walk around lens but for critical work the L-class is a must.

May 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Allan Gobin to your Buddy List
bartoszwozniak

Registered: May 3, 2010
Review Date: May 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: FANTASTIC IS, Good AF speed, very sharp (even at 250mm), decent wide open, VERY CHEAP, 58mm thread, good range
Cons:
plastic mount, rotating front element

I think that this lens is absolutely amazing value for money. It is a great lens to extend from the kit lens and has a really usable range. The IS feature works so well, that you can see that its helping with your bear eye. The aperture is also wide enough for concerts (Ive shot successfully concerts before with this one) especially that you get the extra 1 or 2 stops with the IS. Of course you could argue that the build quality is not the same, however at this price it is an absolute fabulous piece of glass.

The optical quality will surprise many on how good it is. A real gem!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

May 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bartoszwozniak to your Buddy List
riversen

Registered: Apr 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 6, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $255.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good lens for the price... nice features for a steal
Cons:
Yeah, things could be said, but NOT at this price. It's like comparing a Honda to Rolls Royce

This is a great lens for the price. Please, for $255, do not expect 'L' quality... but do expect great shots for some surprisingly good glass. The base is plastic connection works, the IS works, and the focus works in decent lighting. If you photographing candles or insides of church for a big publication, then you are not going to use this anyway... so don't expect it to be a 27-70mm f/2.8L or 70-200mm f/2.8L lens. It is not, but for $255, it is downright amazing. Remember, you get what you pay for and for the price... I got a little more with this lens. Nice cheap lens that gets the job done.

Mar 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add riversen to your Buddy List
platypus

Registered: Oct 29, 2005
Review Date: Aug 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, mostly sharp, very usable IS feature, small filters, inexpensive, reasonable colour quality and contrast
Cons:
Rather plasticky, could be sharper at longer end, bit fragile

Have had this one for about a year now and overall I am pleased with it. Certainly, considering the price I paid for it, it performs admirably but it's far from perfect.
Pretty sharp at shorter end from 55 to about 120mm, but really needs stopping down to f11 at longer and longest lengths. However, due to the IS this is practical. Only drawback is that you then don't have desired control over depth of field.
In dull conditions if I set my EOS40D to about 1000 ISO shooting AV mode @F11 then sharpen and reduce noise in DPP or preferably Lightroom I can get pretty nifty results. Have got the feeling that other samples are sharper than mine at longest focal length (I've seen internet samples suggesting this) but as I say I'm pretty satisfied for the money paid.
Considering the range it offers for little weight/bulk or financial outlay, I would recommend this.
This is the first IS lens I've owned and I have to say it makes quite a difference particularly on dull days or at the long end in all conditions.
Effectively you have a 400mm lens with IS which opens up quite a few creative possibilities.

Aug 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add platypus to your Buddy List
Dickers_2009

Registered: Aug 6, 2009
Review Date: Aug 10, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I was looking for a lens to continue where the 15-55 kit lens left off. Thinking that a Canon lens with AF and IS would cost the proverbial arm and leg, my search centred on Sigma and Tamron until, out of curiosity, I looked at the Canon website and found this little gem.

I have been using it for about three weeks mainly at Horse Trial Events and am absolutely delighted with the results. It has also been used for my other passions, flowers and wildlife to excellent effect. Even with the f4-5.6 limitation and the focus hunting problems in low light, for the money, it is almost impossible to fault it.

Aug 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dickers_2009 to your Buddy List
Dickers_2009

Registered: Aug 6, 2009
Review Date: Aug 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: For the price, it is extremely hard to beat this lens. It is light to carry around and is a good general purpose lens. The picture quality is excellent.
Cons:
Apart from the lump of lens sticking out the front when on full 250mm focal length, none.

Aug 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dickers_2009 to your Buddy List
ashy

Registered: Jul 21, 2009
Review Date: Aug 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: + fairly effective IS system + very unique & useful zoom range + OMG, look @ the price tag! + fairly sharp! stopping down doesn't improve much though + chromatic aberration a.k.a color fringing is pretty well controlled + fairly quick & accurate AF under full light + small & light weight for a tele-lens + good color & contrast (personal preference)
Cons:
- normal focusing motor, easily hunts when light gets dim - plasticky bayonet, so-so build quality - focus markings are absent - ....... but kill yourself if you ask for more from the price X D

a F-ing great-bang-for-buck lens! gosh it's such an amazingly sharp little lens for its price! it's one among those few but finally, it is from Canon! thumbs up!
IMO it's just, really, a must-have in every Canon DSLR user's line-up X D

Aug 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ashy to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Jul 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: small light fairly sharp
Cons:
non for the price

I got this as a stop gap lens while I made my mind up over two different L lenses. It does produce some reasonably sharp images, I stop it down a little if possible. Its not L quality but there have been a few shots Ive taken that would rival my F4 L photos. The IS on this is VERY good, Ive shot images at 1/5s handheld. I have passed it on to my husband as he is more of a casual photographer and he is really impressed with it

Jul 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
Dustin Gent

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Sharpness, lightweight, 58mm filters
Cons:
Plastic mount, really none at this price!

I saw reviews about this little gem, and also saw pictures shot with this lens. I just HAD to have it. It was sold out at a lot of camera stores around where i live, but I finally found one.

I am VERY pleased with this lens! If i just looked at the pictures and not had known what lens they were shot with, I would have guessed an L lens! It is a MUST have for any Rebel/xD owner!

Jul 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dustin Gent to your Buddy List

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS