Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AT-X 840 AF D

4 27893 Mar 14, 2012
8.3
2ATX840D_1_

In 1996 Tokina created a new class of telephoto lens when it introduced the original AT-X 840 AF. This was the smallest zoom lens available that had a bright f/5.6 aperture at 400mm. Now Tokina has recreated the lens for the digital age.

Still the smallest SLR lens available that zooms to 400mm, the AT-X 840 AF D has a smooth and quick internal focusing system that means the all-metal inner barrel that houses the heaviest glass elements does not have to rotate when the lens focuses, making it much faster than the previous models.

Optically, the AT-X840 AF D has new multi-coatings applied to the elements that are formulated to compensate of the highly reflective CCD and CMOS sensors in today’s Digital SLR cameras. The new multi-coating greatly reduces the chance of internal flare or ghost reflections.

A built-in low-profile tripod collar makes for a well-balanced camera/lens combination when using a tripod or monopod. For best results, Tokina always recommends using a tripod or monopod with telephoto lenses.

Another feature that makes the AT-X 840 AF D an excellent traveling companion is the zoom lock switch. The zoom can be locked at 80mm to so there is not chance of “zoom creep” when the camera and lens are being carried over the shoulder.

Tokina kept ease of use in mind with the new AT-X 840 AF D, the new BH-725 lens hood with the a PL Assist spring loaded thumb wheel allows a circular polarizer or special effects filter to be rotated while the lens hood is in place. No more removing the hood to change the position of the filter.

Mount availability: Canon EOS, Nikon-D,

Focal length: 80 to 400mm

Maximum aperture: f/4.5-5.6

Minimum aperture: f/32

Optical construction: 16 elements in 10 groups

SD glass: One elements

Coatings: Multi-layer

Angle of view: 29° 50’ to 6°13’

Minimum focus distance: 2.5m (8.2 ft.)

Reproduction ratio: 1: 5.4

Zooming system: Rotary type

Number of diaphragm blades: 8

Filter size: 72mm

Maximum outer diameter: 77.2mm (3.0in.)

Dimensions: 3.1 in. (79mm) X 136.5 mm (5.4in.)

Weight: 1020 g (35.9 oz..)

Lens Hood BH-725

niXer

Registered: Oct 6, 2010
Review Date: Mar 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Affordable, long reach, light weight, lens hood had a filter wheel to rotate filter with lens still attached.
Cons:
IQ wasn't awesome at 400mm, length changed when zooming out

I needed long reach and could not afford the Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 80-400mm f/4-5.6D so I went with this.

I had just purchases a Tokina 16-50mm which I loved so I decided to check out Tokina's other offerings.

This lens was awesome, built like a tank yet still light weight. It gave me the long reach I wanted without the giant price tag. It did have some issues with IQ when you zoomed out but it was workable and I would have missed a ton of shots if it weren't for this lens.

Sadly I sold it when I went to all Nikkor lenses but were I on a budget or building up a 2nd body I would not hesitate to purchase this.

Mar 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add niXer to your Buddy List
pfjbaldwin

Registered: Jul 27, 2009
Review Date: Jun 19, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I have been using this lens for 2 years now and love it so much, I sold my Canon 100-400L because I never used it always packing this compact little gem. I am pimarily a sports shooter with plenty of big white glass, but this little lens has to be a well kept secret based on the limited number of reviews. It's my favorite vacation carry with a light monopod walking stick and for someone looking for a relatively inexpensive high quality lens to shoot their kid's field sports this should be the first choice. You don't lose anything without IS since you can't shoot action with IS set on with any lens I own.

While I initially rated this lens an 8, I would raise that to a 9 now comparing it to 70-200L 2.8 with 1.4TC. Obviously it's not in the same league as my Sig 120-300 2.8 or 400L 2.8, but at 1/10th the price it's very high quality glass.

Jun 19, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pfjbaldwin to your Buddy List
skywalker11

Registered: Mar 30, 2010
Review Date: Mar 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very sharp at all focal range, good IQ, nice color, it is considered light weight if compare to other lens provider.
Cons:
No VR and need to attached with tripod at longer zoom range especially at 400mm, it would be good if it can remove the collar.

The image quality is very sharp actually but you are definitely need to attached tripod on it.

Mar 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skywalker11 to your Buddy List
pfjbaldwin

Registered: Jul 27, 2009
Review Date: Aug 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $529.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: compact, very sharp images, fast AF, tank like build quality, solid tripod collar
Cons:
plastic friction knob on tripod collar, no image stabilization

I purchased this lens new after much deliberation between this and a Canon 70-300 IS, the price of both being about the same. I'm a semi-pro and shoot primarily sports, but bought this more as a travel lens. What a pleasant surprise when I started shooting. The IQ is better than the mid-range Canon 70-300 IS with strong colors and good saturation and the shots wide open handheld at 400mm were impressive. It compares very favorably with my Canon 100-400L in IQ and AF speed but is not as sharp nor as fast AF as my Sigma 120-300, 2.8. Looking at the images in my computer with no PP, I was counting the individual hairs on my golden retrievers's tail and the stitches on an American flag at full zoom, hand held and wide open.

I love this compact lens that's so easy to carry when traveling and produces such sharp images. I use a compact monopod to stabilize it at 400mm unless I am shooting with lots of light and can boost the shutter speed. It would be nice to have IS, but then it would price itself into my Canon 1-4L range. The included lens hood with an integrated wheel for turning a polarizing filter probably speaks to Tokina's intent to market this as a compact travel lens for which it is ideally suited.

At just over $500, this lens is probably the best value on the market that encompasses the 80-400mm focal lengths. This is a metal lens with Tokina build quality and smooth as silk zoom feel.

Aug 16, 2009