Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II DX AF-S

5 30961 Jan 31, 2011
8.8
18-55DX

Offers the popular focal range of 18-55mm (picture angle equivalent to a 27-82.5mm lens in the 35mm format) for use in a variety of situations

Compact SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for quiet and smooth autofocusing

ED glass and aspherical lens elements

Compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry

Optical performance highly complements Nikon digital SLR cameras

The seven-blade rounded diaphragm opening

Bjorns

Registered: Jan 30, 2011
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Jan 31, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, extremely sharp, cheap, comes in kit with many cameras
Cons:
Plastic mount

I got this lens in a kit with my camera. I completely fell in love with it after using it for not a long time. It's an amazing lens for almost everything, i use it a lot for landscapes and find it an excellent lens for that use.

Some sample images that i took with this lens:

Jan 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bjorns to your Buddy List
ray_lam5

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: light, small, sharp, fast focusing, cheap
Cons:
slow max arperture, plastic

Got this free with my d40x and must say i was pleasantly surprised how sharp it was. I dont like zooms much so have now decided to stick with this for holidays or trips. It is sharp and light and will deliver excellent quality providing you can use it in good light or with a flash.
keep one in your bag.

Dec 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ray_lam5 to your Buddy List
Mayank B

Registered: Jul 30, 2007
Location: India
Review Date: Aug 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Weight, size, price, sharpness, color, contrast
Cons:
None, really, for the price...

A bit of history:
I quit the Canon camp earlier this year. Had an EOS 350D, got tired of the very poor performance of the EF-S 18-55 kit lens (distortions, corner softness, focussing errors, poor colors and contrast and cheap build) and later upgraded to an EF 17-40L which was great in many ways but had unacceptable and pronounced left corner softness at 17mm. Sold that as well and got the new Canon EF 18-55 IS lens. It was nicer IQ-wise than both the earlier lenses but with the amount of problems I faced with the first two (and the amount of money I spent), I had lost faith in Canon by then and sold-off all my equipment.

Now the review:
I recently bought a Nikon D40 (got a great price). My first results with this lens were astonishing!! At f7.1, corner sharpness, distortions, vignetting, contrast and rendition of colours were too good to be true and even upon pixel peeping the results (raw files), found nothing really to complain about. In IQ and IQ alone, this lens seemed way better than Canon EF-S 18-55, EF-S 18-55 IS and EF 17-40L (three lenses I've tried).

Am not going to rave about build quality but it is better than the Canon kit lenses. It is a bit slow to focus and hunts in low contrast situations but I can live with that. Left corners are noticeably soft at 55mm f8 onwards (have noticed this in two copies), however, left corner softness at 55mm is acceptable at f7.1. Doesn't handle flare too well but I am careful. Purple fringing can easily be rectified in PP. Vignetting has never been an issue for me with this lens.

Highly recommended, to say the least.

Aug 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mayank B to your Buddy List
fkhfineart

Registered: Feb 16, 2008
Review Date: Apr 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: worth every cent. close focus for some macros
Cons:
none for this price

keep it for the price, you will always find a use.

Apr 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fkhfineart to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Mar 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness Color Contrast Vibration Reduction
Cons:

These are comments about the VR version of this lens, which I've just received and intend to use with a D40x for travel purposes along with its tele-companion, the 55-200 VR. I tested the 18-55 VR, though, on my D2x.

The lens' optical quality is, in a word, excellent. For the price, it's remarkable, edge-to-edge. Hard to believe, actually.

The D2x is notoriously fussy about lenses and will show up any wrinkles, warts or other signs of mediocre glass. Well, I've viewed and viewed and viewed and compared the 18-55 to some of my best glass, including the excellent f/2.8 35-70. The worst thing I can report about the 18-55 is a bit of CA in very high contrast situations, but in an amount that's easily correctable in post-processing. Hey, I've got far more expensive lenses that generate CA in these situations!

The 18-55 VR appears to be at its best at f/5.6 to f/11 between about 20mm and 45mm. The extremes are quite acceptable if not very, very good; they're just not quite as crisp and defined as the middle territory (when viewed at 100%). I also compared it to my excellent 18-35 f/3.5-4.5. The 18-35 is ever-so-slightly sharper at 18mm and 25mm, has less tendency to lose small details in highlights, and color seems a tad more accurate, but that's about it. The 18-55 VR holds up quite well against this more than twice-as-costly lens.

I would not hesitate to keep the 18-55 VR in my D2x bag much less use it with the D40x. Highly, highly recommended.

Mar 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II DX AF-S