Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

391 537060 Aug 4, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Maximum Diameter 3.3"
Weight 1.64 lb

jamato8

Registered: Dec 23, 2005
Review Date: Jan 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Rivals anything I have seen for sharpness. The contrast and color is something I wish all lenses possessed. When you use this lens, if the image is not sharp you can not blame the lens! I also enjoy the feel of the lens. If this were a Leica lens and cost 13 or 14 hundred I would be happy. That I can get this in Canon is excellent.
Cons:
Not a real gripe, well a little, but the focus is noisier than any L lens I have used and the lens rattles if you shake it. This is not a problem if you realize the lens is made this way. I thought something was wrong with mine but after receiving feedback on my post asking for opinions on this, I found out that it is just the way the lens is made.

Jan 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamato8 to your Buddy List
uz2work

Registered: Mar 3, 2004
Review Date: Jan 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $890.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp image quality, f2, does wonderful things to blurred backgrounds
Cons:

While this focal length is not one that I do a lot of shooting at, I find myself looking for opportunities to use this length just because I find the image quality from the lens to be so pleasing.

Jan 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add uz2work to your Buddy List
minhster16

Registered: Dec 29, 2005
Review Date: Dec 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: razor sharp, excellent contrast, color, bokeh
Cons:
size is a bit large, especially when the hood is attached.

bought this lens based on the recommendation of many on this board, and I'm very impressed. Despite the long focal length on my 20d, I try to do all my portrait on this lens now b/c the clarity, contrast, colors are drastically different from any other lenses i own. The highly rated 85mm f1.8 pales in comparison to this lens.

Dec 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add minhster16 to your Buddy List
carlsbadbum

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 1986
Review Date: Dec 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp & Fast
Cons:
Best with IS

I can't add what is already said about this lens, so this is the best of the best in my L series collection.

Dec 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add carlsbadbum to your Buddy List
gmcfly

Registered: May 9, 2003
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Dec 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $870.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open.
Cons:

Wide open on FF: no CA, very sharp and a hardly perceptible vignetting.
Nice build quality. Fast AF. Beautiful bokeh.

Dec 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gmcfly to your Buddy List
kuere

Registered: Dec 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and nice colors
Cons:
It is a little heavy

I've bought this beauty on a business trip to Tokyo. What a nicxe experience first time installed on my new 5 D - sharp and nice color. Best buy for my 5D.

Dec 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kuere to your Buddy List
smac

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP!!!
Cons:

This is the sharpest lens I have ever used, bar none. And I've used a lot! I shoot a lot of night int wide open and it is superlative beyond description.

Dec 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add smac to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Dec 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and fast focus, color and contrast
Cons:

All I can say is wow, I have read so much about this lens and how good it is. This lens blew me away the first time I used it in a dimly lit school gym. Cranked up my 20D to 1600 and got the best shots ever in these conditions

Dec 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
timpdx

Registered: Feb 1, 2005
Review Date: Dec 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding lens, use wide open in low light theatre, dance and concert photography on a 20D and the sharpness and color are wonderful

Its worth the money.

Dec 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add timpdx to your Buddy List
Stono

Registered: Dec 4, 2005
Review Date: Dec 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp.
Cons:

Now I know what a super-sharp photo looks like. The details it show on my 16.7 MP Mark II are fantastic. Highly recommended. The best of my L-lenses with respect to sharpness. My 300mm L comes very close, though.

Dec 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stono to your Buddy List
mholdef

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp lens with great bokeh and superb build.
Cons:
The front thread on mine is a tad bit tight screwing in filters, but as I keep a UV filter on it permanantly this is not an issue.

I was looking for a number of lenses for the Canon 5D I wanted to buy and, having come from Leica M, wanted to be sure to but the best telephoto for portraits and some landscape use.

I called the Canon Pro Service center here in Paris and discussed the wide gamut of lenses Canon has available. When we got to the topic of whether to buy the 85/1.2L, the Pro center said while the 85 was a great lens, he actually preferred the 135/2.0L - said its performance was fantastic and that it was one of Canon's best lenses and great value for the price.

I have had this lens for about 1 month now and have not been disappointed.

Mark

Dec 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mholdef to your Buddy List
johnastovall

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: Nov 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp detail, lovely cream like bokeh, paper thin DOF wide open.
Cons:

I got this lens after seeing what various members here in FM's Canon Mount Group posted about it and seeing their images. I've not been disappointed.

It is an amazing lens and has become the one I pick when just wanting to go shoot for the beauty and joy of images. It is so sharp and the depth of field can be so thin it makes me think and work for each shot. But when it all comes to getter it, "WOW!".

Nov 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnastovall to your Buddy List
sino408

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $849.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, speed, accuracy, color rendition, contrast, resolution, build quality, you name it. This lens has a 10 on all the attributes.
Cons:
NO weather sealing, but not a critical component for my use.

This lens is one of a kind. It's focusing speed is almost instantaneous due to the aperture and USM. The sharpness is incomparable (haven't tried other more expensive primes, yet) and the colors are absolutely beautiful. The front element is huge! I think this will be my "go-to" lens from now on, if the FL is appropriate and the highest quality is needed.

Highly recommended with the current Canon triple rebate.

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sino408 to your Buddy List
BillRoberts

Registered: Nov 22, 2005
Review Date: Nov 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: The superb quality of image that this lens gives you. Even if it's a mediocre photo the sharpness, contrast and colour just hits you right in the face.
Cons:
Realistically a bit early to judge but none that I can see as yet.

Bought used (3 months old and immaculate) it's just arrived. It's a cold foggy dismal kind of November day but I went out at lunchtime to try it out... well you would wouldn't you?

As I'm using a 20D it's instant result time and the end product is simply amazing. Sharpness, colour and contrast are outstanding, and it just walks all over my Canon zoom lenses, one of which cost over twice the price of this. A quick tweak of levels in photoshop and it got even better! So what that I don't have IS and it's not as versatile in many ways, but... it's faster and sharper and way way better.

If you need a lens of this focal length, and I suppose if you're reading this you quite probably do, then you'll go a long way before you find anything better.

Nov 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BillRoberts to your Buddy List
JoseB

Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Review Date: Nov 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding bokeh, very sharp and nice contrast.

Nov 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JoseB to your Buddy List
Juan55

Registered: Sep 20, 2005
Review Date: Nov 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Just a note to make a correction in the avarage price of this item. Actually it is displayed $2,353.00 !!!

The real actual price itīs around $900 !!!

I believe it is due to the fact that Northwesterly has introduced a wrong value of $86,900.00 and the system itīs averaging all price field filled up.

Nov 2, 2005