Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

390 534896 Jul 21, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

HMZRHS

Registered: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Aug 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast,Nice colour,Good for Indoor ....... it's L lens no doubt about it
Cons:
NONE

Aug 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HMZRHS to your Buddy List
abqnmusa

Registered: May 11, 2006
Posts: 2085
Review Date: Aug 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness wide open is excellent, nice small size compared to 70-200 zoom, bright viewfinder image due to F2, excellent bokeh
Cons:
focus seems slightly slower then 70-200 F4L IS, but not a big deal I do not miss shots with the 135L

I was not sure I would find this lens worth the cost. But wanted a good portrait lens, as the portraits with my 70-200 @ F4 were not what I was looking for.

I find the size of the 135L much nicer to work with then the size of the 70-200 F4L IS.

It is a great portrait lens as one would expect.

What surprised me is it is also great for photographing flowers & insects. I just put on a 25mm extension tube and the magnification is enough for flows & insects. This weekend I took some excellent shots of flower and bees.

sharpenss at F2 is excellent, and lens is sharp stopped down

I find myself reaching for the 135mm F2L now and leaving the 70-200 zoom at home. I do not find the difference between 70 & 135, or 135 & 200 to be a big difference.

Aug 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abqnmusa to your Buddy List
Srimal Nawana

Registered: Jan 17, 2007
Review Date: Aug 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, insane bokeh, great build quality
Cons:

I thought my 200/2.8L was sharp, this is sharper and amazing at f2. The bokeh makes you want to find any excuse to shoot at f 2 or f 2.2 all day!

Aug 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Srimal Nawana to your Buddy List
JUNED DP

Registered: Jul 14, 2007
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Aug 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, black, fast, sh-sh-shaarrp, bokeh, contrast. Seems like everything we hope from a lens.. :)
Cons:
well, prime isn't as comfortable as zoom

Must admit I bought this lens because of the reviews here. Taking 9.9 score out of 10 is very promises. And it is true. I'm very amazed with this lens since holding it for the first time. Now, this lens is replacing my 70-200 f/2.8L IS out from my 5D all the time. My third L lens, and so far this is the sharpest. And since I take pics most often with the widest aperture, I found focus spot often miss. Not because of back/front focused issued, but more bacause of moving object and very thin DOF.

Aug 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JUNED DP to your Buddy List
motionid

Registered: Apr 25, 2006
Review Date: Jul 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight, price, speed, hell everything

The colour is amazing.
The bokeh is magic.
The speed is excellent.
The sharpness is amazing at 2.0
This is without a doubt the best L lens I own (I have 7 others).

THE best kept lens secret around.
Oh - did I say the colour is amazing?

Jul 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add motionid to your Buddy List
swormley

Registered: Feb 15, 2006
Review Date: Jul 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent optics and performance

My first lens back in 1977 was a Canon FD 135mm F2.5 and now I
have acquired and been using the EF 135mm F2 L USM. It is such a
joy to use on a 5D body--relatively light with good reach and low
light capability.

Yesterday I shot young dancers rehearsing on stage of the city
auditorium in preparation for their upcoming performance in a few
days. I used two lenses: EF 85mm F1.2L and EF 135mm F2L, both
chosen for their natural perspective and large aperture (low light
capability and ability to isolate subject from background). These
images needed to be sent on to the client and it was only afterward
that I could take the time to digest the images in detail and enjoy
that tremendous sense of satisfaction in capturing those kids
being artists and really enjoying themselves. Part of the credit
goes to reliable, excellent optics. The equipment doesn't get in
my way of making images... and it never fails me.

It always amazes me how I become "invisible"--the dancers quit
paying attention to me and concentrate on what they are doing. It
is truly a privilege for me to work is such environments.

Jul 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add swormley to your Buddy List
Mardala

Registered: Jul 12, 2007
Review Date: Jul 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: My only "L" lens right now, but I purchased it based on user reviews. I have not been disappointed at all. Of the 3 lenses I own, if you compare the shots with ones from this lens, this lens is stunning. It solid and focuses really fast and accurate. Quiet. Basically if you point this at someone and take a shot you will have a picture that requires very little, if any, post processing. Colors glow. Bokeh is dreamy when wide open. If you like taking portraits or want something in this range, don't hesitate. You will not be disappointed at all. The quality is excellent. I can see this lens being used by my grandkids, if I ever have any ;)
Cons:
There is nothing negative about this lens.

Jul 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mardala to your Buddy List
Tony Rogers

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Jul 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Closest thing to a perfect lens. Sharp, limpidly clear, fast autofocus. Works superbly opened all the way to f2.
Cons:
Want to use it for full-length shots, and the studio isn't long enough.

This is my favourite lens. I use in the studio for portraits, head-and-shoulders, sometimes head-to-waist shots. If my studio was longer, I'd use it even more.

This lens is very highly rated - that is no accident.

Jul 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tony Rogers to your Buddy List
Tom M.

Registered: Nov 5, 2006
Review Date: Jul 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: super sharp, good af, quiet, good build (feels good), good on chromatic abberations, awesome bokeh/dof, f2 gives many options
Cons:
price if any

it is worth what you pay for it, though i wish i was fortunate enough to pay somewhere in the 700's like some people here seem to have. though i got it new.

this lens is by far the sharpest I've ever shot with. It is my first L lens though.

I use it on my 20d which of course makes it more than 135mm but that's ok by me. I like taking photos from a distance and I can even get some braver wildlife as is, I'm sure more if I get an extender. Indoor studio...eh might need a larger area =) but that's ok. The lens really forces me to make better decisions compositionally than some of my other lenses which are more wide angle.

I can hold it fairly steady (though I have horrible hands, I need to practice) though if it was a touch lighter i'd probably do better...but then again i like the weight of it because it feels sturdy.

I JUST got this lens and took a walk around my block to take some photos. I was not disappointed what so ever.

Like everyone says here great bokeh/dof, great sharpness, color, etc.

I'm not a "professional" photographer, though I have some nice photos. I don't take as many photos as I'd like and this is an inspiring lens. It will always remain in my collection and will still be there when I upgrade camera bodies.

This lens won't make you a better photographer, but it will most definitely give you sharper, better color/contrast, and more pleasing photos. I think because it's a prime, it forces you to think more about what you're doing and do less snapping and zooming in/out and just losing focus/framing with what you're doing.

IF you really can't afford this lens AND you take more portraits, then look at the 135mm Soft Focus. I personally wanted the versatility over the SF though. I tested both lenses today and the L is noticeably sharper but the SF is perfectly fine too for being an older and less expensive lens.

Jul 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom M. to your Buddy List
cookie99

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Jul 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price stunningly sharp, fast works well with 1.4X converter
Cons:

I saw this lens for sale in Melbourne for $1100 Aus. Dollars and snapped it up after reading the reviews here.

Always the skeptic I took it out and used it for some of my first macro work (which I am new to)

I was so impressed with the versatility of this lens that I bought a 2nd 30D which it lives permanently on.

Beautiful glass one of Canon's finest lenses.

Jul 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cookie99 to your Buddy List
Tom K.

Registered: Mar 20, 2005
Review Date: Jul 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $775.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, gorgeous bokeh, build, size, weight.
Cons:

I have read for years about the "magic" this lens can produce when used properly. I was skeptical to say the least. I have used several Canon L lenses over the years and have had wonderful results with them. I was quiet satisfied with the quality the produced. Those lenses were of the zoom variety. When I first mounted the 135 L to my Canon 5D and took some test photos I was curious to see if it lived up to it's "magical" reputation.......especially since my other L's performed so well. Once I saw with my own eyes the clarity and stunning sharpness this lens was displaying on the monitor in front of me I was shell shocked at just how incredible this lens truly is. The sharpness is second to no lens I have ever used. Mind blowing is the only was to describe it. The bokeh it produces is nothing less than amazing. Smooth as warm buttery silk. The build, handling and size feel so right in my hands on my 5D. I could go on because the lens transcends anything I could have imagined. It actually surpassed my expectations. It is without question my favorite lens. If you need a 135 focal length then this is the best of the best. If you buy it........be prepared to be astonished at just how great it really is.

Jul 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tom K. to your Buddy List
Jman13

Registered: May 1, 2005
Review Date: Jun 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, wide-open image quality, incredible color and contrast, buttery-smooth bokeh, fast, super fast and accurate AF, build quality.
Cons:

Absolutely outstanding lens. There's honestly nothing to complain about. Image quality is simply outstanding at any aperture. Photos taken at f/2 with this lens are as sharp or sharper than any zoom I have at its sweet spot aperture (this includes the 80-200L), and it gives my other primes a run for their money when they are stopped down vs wide-open on the 135L. Color and contrast are unmatched among any of my 9 lenses. Wide open color and contrast are as vibrant as my best lenses two stops down. Bokeh is outstanding...smooth, creamy blur. DOF control is outstanding with the wide aperture to f/32.

AF is very quick, silent and accurate. Build is typical L quality - robust with a well-damped focus ring. Feels fantastic in the hand.

If you need a fast lens in this length, there is nothing finer. I knew this lens would be sharp, but what I didn't know is just how good all the other IQ aspects are, and how they all combine to provide near flawless image quality. Truly a gem of the Canon line-up.

Jun 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jman13 to your Buddy List
paknip

Registered: Dec 28, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY sharp, fast, quiet & lightweight
Cons:

The best mid-range prime lens. Impressively fast focus under low-light situation. Lightweight makes it as my secondary mid-range telephoto travel lens together with my 1.4x extender when I feel my 70-200f 2.8L IS is too heavy or sometimes too prominent.

Jun 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add paknip to your Buddy List
Theo Lumens

Registered: Jun 10, 2007
Review Date: Jun 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This must be one of Canon's finest...
Cons:

This lens is worth every eurocent it has cost. Very sharp (detail) and beautiful bokeh.

A dream of a lens. After working with this lens occasionally for a few months it has now replaced the 70-200/2.8 IS.

Last week I've tested the 135/2L against the 70-200/2.8L IS and found the 135/2L clearly superior in all aspects, esp. in imagequality. The 70-200 will have to go...

Jun 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Theo Lumens to your Buddy List
Brian Mitchell

Registered: Jun 7, 2007
Review Date: Jun 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness. Good and artistic DoF and blur
Cons:
Hard to control the DoF

A great lens. The pictures are amazing, and require far less Photoshop processing than every other lens that I own. My only complaint is that it is hard to control the dof, which can be too thin.

Some of my best pictures with this lens, which I think really show it off:

Jun 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brian Mitchell to your Buddy List
petr vokurek

Registered: Apr 16, 2007
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Jun 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpnes at all apertures, bokeh, buld quality, close focus ability
Cons:

I have to agree with all the good reviews here- this lens is a gem and a joy to use! It is relatively small (especially compared to 2,8/70-200) and very well built. I bought mine secondhand some 5 years ago. It was so much used that all the writings near the red ring had practically disappeared- I could hardly say what lens it was... But you know what? I bought the lens and it performs absolutely flawlessly no matter how much the barrel is worn! If you want the best bokeh and think 135mm is the right focal length for you then look no further. On a FF camera this lens is perfect for people shots- from cloce up head shots( including small babies)right to full length shots. It gives you comfortble working distance without being too far away from the subject. - Unlike on a crop camera, then you are rather too far away for posed full length shots- the people canīt even hear what youī re saying! After I bought the 2,8/70-200L I do not use the 135 so often but when I donīt need the zoom capability and want the absolutely best possible quality or need to focus closer then I reach for my beloved 135/2 L. Overal, definitelly one of the best lenses in all aspects.

Jun 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add petr vokurek to your Buddy List

Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM