Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

394 562570 Mar 15, 2016
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

princeeric2

Registered: Oct 2, 2007
Review Date: Oct 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great bokeh! very smooth & creamy at f/2.... Sharp wide opened.
Cons:
None!

I've read all the reviews about this lens and drooled about it for sometimes. However, I was not ready to buy it because I had 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-400mm L IS, 85mm L and I wasn't looking to buy 135mm L any time soon. Then I came across a Mint-Used copy complete in original box for $700. So, I bought it instantly without a second thought.

This lens is one the best lens that I've own, par with my 85mm 1.2L. My other L zoom lenses can not duplicate the bokeh, color, sharpness... that this lens can do at f/2.

If you are having a dilema whether you should get this lens or not, because you already have the great 70-200mm L IS, or 24-70mm L 2.8, etc... In my own finding that this lens is far more superior than the L zoom lenses. A must have lens if you are shooting portrait or like to shoot in the 100mm+ range. I loved this lens!

Oct 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add princeeric2 to your Buddy List
freshpage

Registered: Nov 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything! Image quality, build quality, bokeh, etc.
Cons:
It's a bit expensive... but that's L glass.

I needed the ability to shoot in 'available dark' and wanted a little bit of reach... I'd read the reviews, but still didn't expect this level of quality - what a beautiful lens! Fast, tack-sharp even wide-open, gorgeous bokeh, solid build quality and reasonable size and weight.

Currently, I shoot with a 1.6 crop factor so it makes this lens a little longer than I'd prefer for portrait work, but that's why my legs still work. Smile I've played around with it on a 5D and it's perfect on a full-frame...

Highly recommended!

Oct 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add freshpage to your Buddy List
Per Zangenberg

Registered: Jan 17, 2007
Review Date: Oct 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, shallow DOF at f2, very sweet bokeh, black, fast focus, amazing color and contrast, smaller and lighter than 70-200 2.8, good build
Cons:
No weather sealing, can't make coffee...

I was looking for something with a more shallow DOF that my 70-200 f4 IS. The 70-200 2.8 is too big and heavy, so i bought a used 135L. When I got the first pictures on my monitor I was like "HOLLY CRAP"! I shoot pretty much only at f2 and the pics i get are just so much better than anything I ever got with the 70-200 f4 IS!

A few samples all 5D @ f2:

Oct 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Per Zangenberg to your Buddy List
Matthew Nelson

Registered: Sep 26, 2007
Review Date: Oct 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $903.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp. Unearthly bokeh. Light weight compared to my 70-200 f/2.8L IS with much greater sharpness.
Cons:

I wanted to get a portrait lense and read review after review until I decided to buy the 135 f/2L. It has taken me to a completely new dimension of photography. I have a 24-70 f/2.8L and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS which I thought were incredible, but this lense has definitely proven to be much sharper by a long shot. Previously I went for the zooms so I didn't have to move around to get a shot. Now, I don't mind shuffling my feet a bit to get the perfect shot as the images are out of this world! A must have lense.

Oct 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Matthew Nelson to your Buddy List
bottlelo

Registered: Sep 15, 2007
Review Date: Sep 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: everything!
Cons:
nil

I've read almost all the review for this lens via the search engine as well as in this site. I bought it, love it.

Sep 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bottlelo to your Buddy List
Darell Harmon

Registered: Sep 6, 2007
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Being a newbie I needed a camera for shooting gymnastics indoors/lowlight. After a lot of research I decided to buy an xti and use the savings to buy this lens along with an 85 1.8, although I still wasn't sure this would be the best combo...maybe one of the IS lenses would be better? Now after reading the posts here I feel much more confident in my decision. First shoot will be Sat. I hope it arrives on time as I'm excited to try it! I'll post my first impressions afterwards.

Sep 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Darell Harmon to your Buddy List
Mark Lawson

Registered: Dec 25, 2006
Review Date: Aug 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp at f2 Reasonable focus in low light Good build quality
Cons:

Used on a 1.6 crop camera. I had put off buying this lens for several years mainly due to price.
In a photo journalist setting I have used it for boxing recently where the light levels are low and the quaility of light is very poor. Finding focus in this situation is difficult. The lens was ideal for this environment, it produced strong colours and found focus quickly. I was shooting at f2. A very good lens which I wished I had purchased sooner.

Aug 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mark Lawson to your Buddy List
Kevin2

Registered: Nov 28, 2006
Review Date: Aug 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It is my favorite lens when I get to weddings. Sharp, so sharp, and great color and bokeh.
Cons:
My only complaint is that it searches at times in very low light. But, I still keep it on the camera!

You can't go wrong...buy it today.

Aug 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin2 to your Buddy List
HMZRHS

Registered: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Aug 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast,Nice colour,Good for Indoor ....... it's L lens no doubt about it
Cons:
NONE

Aug 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HMZRHS to your Buddy List
abqnmusa

Registered: May 11, 2006
Posts: 2085
Review Date: Aug 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness wide open is excellent, nice small size compared to 70-200 zoom, bright viewfinder image due to F2, excellent bokeh
Cons:
focus seems slightly slower then 70-200 F4L IS, but not a big deal I do not miss shots with the 135L

I was not sure I would find this lens worth the cost. But wanted a good portrait lens, as the portraits with my 70-200 @ F4 were not what I was looking for.

I find the size of the 135L much nicer to work with then the size of the 70-200 F4L IS.

It is a great portrait lens as one would expect.

What surprised me is it is also great for photographing flowers & insects. I just put on a 25mm extension tube and the magnification is enough for flows & insects. This weekend I took some excellent shots of flower and bees.

sharpenss at F2 is excellent, and lens is sharp stopped down

I find myself reaching for the 135mm F2L now and leaving the 70-200 zoom at home. I do not find the difference between 70 & 135, or 135 & 200 to be a big difference.

Aug 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abqnmusa to your Buddy List
Srimal Nawana

Registered: Jan 17, 2007
Review Date: Aug 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, insane bokeh, great build quality
Cons:

I thought my 200/2.8L was sharp, this is sharper and amazing at f2. The bokeh makes you want to find any excuse to shoot at f 2 or f 2.2 all day!

Aug 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Srimal Nawana to your Buddy List
JUNED DP

Registered: Jul 14, 2007
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Aug 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, black, fast, sh-sh-shaarrp, bokeh, contrast. Seems like everything we hope from a lens.. :)
Cons:
well, prime isn't as comfortable as zoom

Must admit I bought this lens because of the reviews here. Taking 9.9 score out of 10 is very promises. And it is true. I'm very amazed with this lens since holding it for the first time. Now, this lens is replacing my 70-200 f/2.8L IS out from my 5D all the time. My third L lens, and so far this is the sharpest. And since I take pics most often with the widest aperture, I found focus spot often miss. Not because of back/front focused issued, but more bacause of moving object and very thin DOF.

Aug 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JUNED DP to your Buddy List
motionid

Registered: Apr 25, 2006
Review Date: Jul 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight, price, speed, hell everything

The colour is amazing.
The bokeh is magic.
The speed is excellent.
The sharpness is amazing at 2.0
This is without a doubt the best L lens I own (I have 7 others).

THE best kept lens secret around.
Oh - did I say the colour is amazing?

Jul 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add motionid to your Buddy List
swormley

Registered: Feb 15, 2006
Review Date: Jul 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent optics and performance

My first lens back in 1977 was a Canon FD 135mm F2.5 and now I
have acquired and been using the EF 135mm F2 L USM. It is such a
joy to use on a 5D body--relatively light with good reach and low
light capability.

Yesterday I shot young dancers rehearsing on stage of the city
auditorium in preparation for their upcoming performance in a few
days. I used two lenses: EF 85mm F1.2L and EF 135mm F2L, both
chosen for their natural perspective and large aperture (low light
capability and ability to isolate subject from background). These
images needed to be sent on to the client and it was only afterward
that I could take the time to digest the images in detail and enjoy
that tremendous sense of satisfaction in capturing those kids
being artists and really enjoying themselves. Part of the credit
goes to reliable, excellent optics. The equipment doesn't get in
my way of making images... and it never fails me.

It always amazes me how I become "invisible"--the dancers quit
paying attention to me and concentrate on what they are doing. It
is truly a privilege for me to work is such environments.

Jul 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add swormley to your Buddy List
Mardala

Registered: Jul 12, 2007
Review Date: Jul 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: My only "L" lens right now, but I purchased it based on user reviews. I have not been disappointed at all. Of the 3 lenses I own, if you compare the shots with ones from this lens, this lens is stunning. It solid and focuses really fast and accurate. Quiet. Basically if you point this at someone and take a shot you will have a picture that requires very little, if any, post processing. Colors glow. Bokeh is dreamy when wide open. If you like taking portraits or want something in this range, don't hesitate. You will not be disappointed at all. The quality is excellent. I can see this lens being used by my grandkids, if I ever have any ;)
Cons:
There is nothing negative about this lens.

Jul 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mardala to your Buddy List
Tony Rogers

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Jul 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Closest thing to a perfect lens. Sharp, limpidly clear, fast autofocus. Works superbly opened all the way to f2.
Cons:
Want to use it for full-length shots, and the studio isn't long enough.

This is my favourite lens. I use in the studio for portraits, head-and-shoulders, sometimes head-to-waist shots. If my studio was longer, I'd use it even more.

This lens is very highly rated - that is no accident.

Jul 9, 2007