144 146864 Jul 12, 2012
9.2
40d

Superb image quality: 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, extensive noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations.

Outstanding performance: 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images and DIGIC III Image Processor.

Strong, rugged build quality: magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.

New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering, and Highlight Tone Priority for advanced in-camera image control.

Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and advanced Live View Function with new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.

Wide range of accessories, including interchangeable focusing screens, extensive remote control options, new battery grip BG-E2N, and new dedicated wireless file transmitter WFT-E3A.

Type: Digital AF/AE SLR
Recording Medium: CF Card Type I and II and external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A)
Image Format: 0.87 x 0.58 in./22.2 x 14.8mm (APS-C size sensor)
Compatible Lenses: Canon EF, EF-S, TS-E, and MP-E lenses
Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
Lens Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.6x

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

stephen china

Registered: Dec 23, 2006
Review Date: Sep 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb all round performance,excellent value.
Cons:
Cheaper build than 20/30D (more plastic,slightly looser overall feel)

I purchased the 40D to replace the 20D I use alongside a 30D.I decided to do comparisons of all three cameras (before selling the 20D) using a 17-55 2.8 IS lens,a 70-200 f4L lens and an 18-55 kit lens.I took 10 shots with each camera and each lens then carefully compared them.The honest conclusion is that there is no discernable difference between any of the cameras!Slight changes in the light and focus point made the only noticable differences.I expect professional reviewers will find minute differences under controlled test conditions but in the real world (mine) there aren't any.This does not mean I do not rate the 40D ,it is great but don't expect anything wonderous if you already have a 20/30D.One small critisism,the "dust removal system" is as useless as all the others are, ie you still get debris on the sensor which can only be removed with a brush or swab type clean.In conclusion I am delighted with the 40D,it is everything the 20/30 are plus a few extra features.

Sep 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stephen china to your Buddy List
hassy501

Registered: Jun 22, 2006
Review Date: Sep 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, great flash expos and rich files.
Cons:
None yet.

After coming up from the 20D and 30D, the 40D is a great step up. The build quality is excellent, the expos are great improved and the focusing is great improved.

The plastic battery door hinge is a non issue as using the external grip negates that issue.

The camera is fast and the menus are fast. The auto iso feature is nice when in shooting on the fly as in a wedding.

About to buy my second one for my wedding work to go along with my 5D and 30D. Relegating my 20D's to studio work which they are great for..............

Sep 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hassy501 to your Buddy List
jctriguy

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Review Date: Sep 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 6.5 FPS, solid body, live view, menu system, custom settings, great LCD
Cons:
Plastic battery door hinge, print button

Coming from an original rebel this is an outstanding upgrade. As expected everything works better compared to the rebel.

The body is rock solid and much more pleasing in size, especially with the grip added. I appreciate the weather sealing that is included since I never had any issues with my rebel during the winter or in dusty slot canyons, so any improvement is just added insurance. The plastic battery door hinge is a little concerning, but I don't anticipate it to be a real problem.

The only problem with the 6.5 fps is the need to delete more photos after, its hard to just take a few. So far the AF looks to be working great, very fast and accurate. In all my lenses I have never had any that needed calibration, so maybe I'm lucky or just don't look carefully enough??

I much prefer the new menu system vs the rebel or other cameras I've used. It did take some time to sort through all the custom functions and the custom settings, but once set they are very useful. I agree that the print button is not necessary on this camera and should be set through the custom functions to do something else.

I've found the live view and LCD to be a great improvement over the other canon models. The larger size makes everything easier to see and read and the lower resolution isn't really that much of an issue for me. The live view works great for what it is intended to do. It doesn't work well unless you have very solid hands or put it on a tripod. An SLR isn't meant to be held above your head or at arms length, so the over the crowd shots aren't the real purpose of live view. You can certainly do it, but it may take a few extra shots to get it right.

Overall this is a great camera and an amazing improvement over any of the rebel series.

Sep 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jctriguy to your Buddy List
Alan Moore

Registered: Sep 22, 2007
Review Date: Sep 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ease of use, everything !!!
Cons:

I upgraded from a 400D and find it easier to use, the build quality is far superior and its just great. You will not be dissapointed if you buy one.

Sep 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Alan Moore to your Buddy List
KenpoPhoto

Registered: Apr 5, 2006
Review Date: Sep 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Low noise at high ISO, highlight priority, live view, 6.5fps, molded grip feels more like 5D
Cons:
VERY Trivial...cheap battery door (20D & 30D had a metal hinge with a sliding release, the 40D is completely plastic)

I've owned a 300D, 20D, 30D and still have a 5D.

I find the 40D completely superior to the 300D, 20D and 30D and in some ways to the 5D.

Live view mode is really nice for macro shots, with the 10x zoom on the LCD, you can focus on what you want.

The frame rate is amazing. I played with a 1D Mark III at an Apple/Canon event and that camera was amazing. The 40D felt very similar to what I experienced with the 1D Mark III. I suspect the shutter designed is near identical to the 1D Mark III shutter and is only limited because the 40D only has 1 Digic III processor instead of 2 like the Mark III.

To me, the 40D is what the 30D should have been. It's become my de facto "walking around" camera.

You can't really compare it to a 5D for IQ because there's really no point comparing crop to full frame, but the 40D is amazing in low light.

Very usable images at 1600 ISO. H (3200 ISO) is very noisy, but it's to be expected. On the 40D 1600 ISO is like the 30D at 800 ISO.

Sep 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KenpoPhoto to your Buddy List
M. Baker

Registered: Sep 20, 2007
Review Date: Sep 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is a wonderful camera lives up to its specs.
Cons:
None!

Jamo, it's unfortuante you received a bad copy of this product. I can understand your frustration, but everybody makes a lemon. I hope you returned it and received a better copy.

Sep 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add M. Baker to your Buddy List
Husien Jahja

Registered: Nov 9, 2006
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 3" LCD. Live view. fast low light focus.
Cons:
not as waterproof as first thought, however this is not an issue.

First thought of buying 30D. When this 40D were out it was so much review in the internet that I wanted to put my hand on one. At last I got one and it was definitely a big change to the 400D.

QC is a problem here, I got this unit with dust on the sensor. After I serviced it then all the dust were removed with no problem.

Autofocus is definitely a big plus on this unit.

Spot metering is also a great to have.

If you like all the Canon EOS series, this is definitely one to have...

It won't disappoint...

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Husien Jahja to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build is better than the other XXd's, AF is great, close to the orig. 1d IMO. The low light performance is very good. It focuses fast and accurately, and at ISO 1600, looks great. My menu is a great idea.
Cons:
ISO needed to be improved more at 3200+

Having shot with this for a couple of weeks now, I find it better than my 20 and 30 d's. in all aspects with the exception of a similar quality 3200 iso. It has a nicer feel to the 3200 though since the shadow noise is less colorful and therefore to my eyes, more pleasing.

It does seem about 1/3 less sensitive than the 30d or 5d. I am using these as backups to 5d's and don't worry too much about using them in the lower light. That is not something true of the 30d's.

Overall, a good solid camera and decent for the $$.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
Paul Morrison

Registered: Nov 3, 2006
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Improved sensor performance at higher ISO's, dust removal system, larger LCD screen easier to read in daylight, much improved menus and access to them, Live View, improved viewfinder, ISO visible in finder, solid feel, fast motor, Auto ISO,
Cons:
12MP would have been nice, feels a bit 'thick' in my hand (even when compared to the 1D IIn), no simple access to mirror lock up, battery concerns in cold weather

Having owned the 20D (as well as owning the 1D IIn and the XTi), the 40D is a major advance in almost every direction. I cannot think of any real negatives aside from the obvioius need of a one button access to mirror lockup. The improved motor speed (6.5 fps) makes this a near ideal second camera to the 1D and an extremely capable camera in it's own right. The reduced noise at ISO 800 makes this a very capable camera for many different uses. The viewfinder is brighter. The menu interface is more intuitive and the LCD screen is excellent. One concern is the battery life in winter temperatures. My 20D never performed well in the cold. I'm hoping that they 40D is improved in this area as well. Auto ISO is an interesting feature that I can see being useful, especially now that the sensor performs so well at the higher ratings. I bought this as a kit bundled with the 28-135 IS lens for C$1553 total, which seems like a good deal when I think back to what I paid for the 30D (C$4000) and what a superior camera this is!

Sep 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paul Morrison to your Buddy List
sven rose

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,276.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, rendition of colours, build quality, 6.5 fps, fast AF
Cons:
screen resolution and dull screen

As an upgrade from a Canon Rebel XTi / 400D I notice a far better IQ, better rendition of colours, very low noise up to ISO 800.

Pictures from the camera without ANY processing (no crop or other adjustement), in camera noise reduction off, jpeg in best quality:

Most pictures were taken with 70-200 f4L IS, some with Tamron 17-55 F2.8, some with addition of Kenko TC 1.4 or Extension tubes, landscape with circular pol filter. All handheld.

a rudimentary ISO-comparison (100% crops), all with in-camera NR off:

The processed pictures:

Sep 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sven rose to your Buddy List
bakerwi

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, auto focus, 6.5 fps, image quality, 10mp+ and Live view. I've owned both the 20D and 30D and this is a stepup from both.
Cons:
None yet!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bakerwi to your Buddy List
Peter Brockie

Registered: Sep 19, 2007
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing detail in photos, 6.5 FPS, Live View, fast AF system.
Cons:
Not weather sealed.

Coming from the 300D this is an amazing camera. The screen is large and bright, all the functions are lightning fast and the image quality is stunning when paired with nice glass.

My only complaint is the fake weather sealing Canon is promoting. The camera is NOT sealed, only the battery and CF compartment are slightly more resistant to water.

Sep 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Brockie to your Buddy List
Joe Roback

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: LCD, fast 6.5fps, comfortable grip, IQ, good battery life, 3 custom dials, customizable "My Menu", Live View, viewfinder
Cons:
weather seals are basically worthless, direct print button (canon either get rid of it or allow it to be mapped to another function)

Incredible upgrade from a 350D. For one, its 10000x more comfortable to hold, the rebel xt was so small.

LCD is nice. It may be second to Sony/Nikon's new LCD, but coming from a 1.8" LCD, its like heaven. customizable menu, and 3 selections on the top dial are awesome and so convenient.

Everything else you can get from dpreview.com and its forums. Nice camera, super happy with my purchase.

Well worth the upgrade from any of the rebel series, 300D, 350D or 400D!

Equipment I own, 40D, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 430EX speedlite flash

Sep 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joe Roback to your Buddy List
jaimo

Registered: May 11, 2004
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: None so far
Cons:
To be continued; see below.

Fresh out of the box a purplish tint was on all images -- auto (awb) and creative zones -- with and without flash. Than shutter button wouldn't work. Then I shut down camera, and each time I turned it back on the flash would pop up and fire (all on its own!) To be continued.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jaimo to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: What can I say I started out with the Rebel from their the 20 to the 30 now the 40 and love it. It's the best of all, more accurate AF, better VF, great big LCD which is great for use old people LOL, easy controls love the menu and best of all I am getting many more keepers
Cons:
NONE

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
lord_malone

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Sep 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,175.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, AF tracking, 6.5 fps, IQ, good high ISO performance, pairing of functions (top row buttons), improved (but not complete) weathersealing, ISO in veiwfinder, interchangeable focus screens, automatic ISO, DiG!C III, AF-ON button, Live View, Menu Screen, self-cleaning sensor, and reasonably priced!
Cons:
1. Direct print (might be important to someone, just not me) 2. Plastic battery compartment hinge (why?) 3. Making the Picture Styles button a programmable button that allows you to adjust IQ, WB or Picture Style and a better grip than the BG-E2N would be nice.

The simple fact that the 40D is slightly larger than the 20D, yet slightly smaller than the 5D was a selling point for me. I have large hands and need a camera that I can grip without it feeling like a small toy. It just seems to have a bit more "heft" I guess you could say. The partial weathersealing, finger groove beneath the shutter release, paintless hotshoe, are all really nice little bonus physical features, and I love everything about the new menu screen, very much like the 1D! And though the larger LCD wasn't a big deal for me when I first heard about it, it is indeed a very welcome feature. I've effectively put Live View to use and it definitely has a place on a DSLR despite how some may feel. I think this will be a very useful tool for a lot of shooters, and it was well implemented IMO. I really like the fact that I can change focusing screens and I will definitely be ordering an Ef-S super precision matte. The AF-ON button is also a great addition, though some may prefer to still use the good old fashioned * to separate the metering from the focusing. The good news is Canon gives you the option to go either way and doesn't force the AF-ON down your throat if you don't want to use it. Thanks, Canon! I found that the IQ is typical of any Canon camera, which is a good thing, and it handles noise at high ISO very well. The high ISO shots I took at a recent wedding were very usable and cleaned up really well with very little NR applied. Colors are vivid and bright, and there's a somewhat warmer feeling to the images. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the images are very 5D like in quality (without resorting to pixel peeping). The DiG!C III processor does a damn fine job and I'm satisfied with the quality of images this camera is capable of producing. AF tracking seems to be spot on. I was taking sample shots of oncoming traffic during a fund raising car wash we were having, and this system did not disappoint! For those of you who are concerned about it, the AF tracking works and it works well. And who can complain about a max burst of 6.5 fps, a couple of extra megapixels, an improved buffer (up to 75 jpegs!), automatic ISO, ISO viewable in viewfinder, being able to view selected AF points during playbck, the ability to register up to three camera user settings, 14 bit AD conversion, improved metering and spot metering range, extended Kelvin WB temperature range, brighter viewfinder, multiple exposure mirror lock-up, and a self cleaning sensor? All of which are great little goodies that only compliment this already great camera. And sRAW could definitely come in handy for some applications. Again, I've put this feature to use and it does become very useful when you want to shoot RAW, but have limited memory or don't need super large files to work with. Accidentally erasing all images on the card has been mitigated by having to turn the feature on in the menus, or batch check marking, which is a good thing if want to avoid inadvertently wiping your card clean! And among one of my favorite new features is the common sense and simplicity applied to what functions are assigned to the buttons near the top LCD. Metering is now paired with White Balance, Auto focus with Drive method, and ISO with FEC. Trust me, it makes much more sense this way. The new button layout beneath the LCD was not difficult for me to adjust to, though I must remember that the menu button is still located on the top left corner separate from the rest.

A few things that I could do without are the direct print button, the plethora of automatic Basic Zone shooting modes, and the plastic battery compartment hinge (why they did away with the metal hinge is beyond me - to cut cost ) One minor gripe is the Picture Style button. I wish it was programmable in custom functions so that you can use it to either select Picture Styles, or access the Image Quality or White Balance setting menu like on the 1D series. Not saying you can program those buttons on a 1D, but those buttons are made available to you on the body in a convenient location near the rear LCD.

In short, this may not be the "Wow" factor some folks have hoped for (it certainly is for me), but for what you get for the money, it has really impressed me and is definitely something that I'd consider a great improvement over its predecessors. Not trying to convince any happy 10/20/30D users either way, but just know that there is much more to consider than just what you see on the surface.

Own or Previously owned: XT, 20D, 5D, 1D, 1D2N

Sep 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lord_malone to your Buddy List

144 146864 Jul 12, 2012