146 155394 Nov 17, 2016
9.2
40d

Superb image quality: 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, extensive noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations.

Outstanding performance: 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images and DIGIC III Image Processor.

Strong, rugged build quality: magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.

New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering, and Highlight Tone Priority for advanced in-camera image control.

Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and advanced Live View Function with new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.

Wide range of accessories, including interchangeable focusing screens, extensive remote control options, new battery grip BG-E2N, and new dedicated wireless file transmitter WFT-E3A.

Type: Digital AF/AE SLR
Recording Medium: CF Card Type I and II and external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A)
Image Format: 0.87 x 0.58 in./22.2 x 14.8mm (APS-C size sensor)
Compatible Lenses: Canon EF, EF-S, TS-E, and MP-E lenses
Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
Lens Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.6x

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10  next

jaimo

Registered: May 11, 2004
Review Date: Oct 1, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,299.00

Pros: Handling, focusing, build, images, 6.5 fps, 10.2mp.
Cons:
partial weather sealing. can't use my E1 handstrap

I got a classic "lemon" the first copy and sent it back for a refund. Absolutely no problem. Second copy is a winner. I love the feel, reminds me of the 1D MII I had but without the bottom third of the body and the weight. I'm also glad to be done with the oversized battery charger for the 1D series. I don't shoot sports professionally, nor am I newsbeat photog or war correspondent, so the high fps of the 1DMIII are totally unnecessary. The 6.5 fps on the 40D are great --with high in-focus results.

Oct 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jaimo to your Buddy List
Bmeister

Registered: Oct 20, 2003
Review Date: Oct 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,295.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great AF, excellent high iso noise reduction, fast operation overall. Highlight tone priority works very well. The 3" LCD is very good.
Cons:
No lens AF micro-adjustment No AF Servo sensitivity adjustment Spot metering limited to center point rather than selected AF point

By no means am I doing a thorough 40D review, that's been done. I've been shooting with 1-series bodies since switching to Canon many years ago, but also carried a 10D for travel and family gatherings. The 10D was getting ready for semi-retirement and I replaced it with the 40D. There are times when the 1dmkII is just too much and the G7, which I always carry, is not enough. The 40D fits the bill perfectly and at the right time. The 20D gave me no reason to change from the quiet 10D, the 30D was no different from the 20D to my eyes, but the 40D is significant, and it's not solely because of the 10mp. If you look at mp only, you miss the bigger picture.

The AF performance, with 9 cross-type sensors, is spectacular for this price point and dare I say it "compares" well enough to the 1-series in AI-Servo to be a capable third back up. I've already done successful testing of indoor prep sports with great results. The speed of operation is excellent with nearly instant-on and it's always ready to shoot. Image review is fast and the 3" LCD, while not hi-res, is bright and readable and seems not to affect battery life which is still extraordinary. The fact that I can keep using the reliable BP511 batteries is a plus. Handling is excellent for my large hands, but the BG-E2 grip doesn't look as nice on the 40D as the BG-ED3 did on the 10D; the BG-ED3 on the 10D made it look like one solid camera while the BG-E2 on the 40D definitely looks "tacked on" although it fits nice and tight. A small nit pick.

Image quality is excellent and the high-iso, which is equal to the 20D/30D, gets better when using the in-camera noise reduction function. You pay a price with less buffer when using noise-reduction, but the chroma noise is gone and the detail retention is excellent at 1600 and 3200 iso. The 14-bit color makes for much larger RAW images (14mb) but does appear to provide smoother color transition if you know what to look for when doing post work in RAW. The in-camera JPGs appear softer than the converted RAW images unless you set the in-camera sharpening to 7 (the max). I like the in-camera JPGs at this sharpening setting.

Another great feature is HLT (highlight tone priority). If selected, the 40D processes the JPGs to keep highlights from being blown and yields a bit more in the shadows at the cost of iso100/3200 selection and more-but-barely-noticeable shadow noise; I love it. When it comes to exposure, it appears that the 40D exposes images a bit darker than did the 10D (and 20D/30D I hear), but that depends on what you shoot and what the backgrounds are like; I'd prefer a little less exposure than over-exposure, but the exposures for me are in line with my 1DmkII bodies shooting the same things.

Live View: I don't use it, but I suppose it is nice for macro work for focus checking if you really need critical focus and have trouble using the viewfinder when manually focusing.

If you shoot action, the 40D will make you very happy coming from the 10D and also the 20D and 30D which I have had plenty of opportunities to shoot in the past. If you don't shoot much action, then I see no reason to switch from a 20D/30D unless you want the live view or HLT or want better low light focusing. If you have a mkII and cannot justify another as a back up or want a lightweight alternative, the 40D will do a decent job. It is NOT as fast as a 1DmkII to acquire targets and hold them, but does a respectable job all around.

Oct 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bmeister to your Buddy List
stephen china

Registered: Dec 23, 2006
Review Date: Sep 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb all round performance,excellent value.
Cons:
Cheaper build than 20/30D (more plastic,slightly looser overall feel)

I purchased the 40D to replace the 20D I use alongside a 30D.I decided to do comparisons of all three cameras (before selling the 20D) using a 17-55 2.8 IS lens,a 70-200 f4L lens and an 18-55 kit lens.I took 10 shots with each camera and each lens then carefully compared them.The honest conclusion is that there is no discernable difference between any of the cameras!Slight changes in the light and focus point made the only noticable differences.I expect professional reviewers will find minute differences under controlled test conditions but in the real world (mine) there aren't any.This does not mean I do not rate the 40D ,it is great but don't expect anything wonderous if you already have a 20/30D.One small critisism,the "dust removal system" is as useless as all the others are, ie you still get debris on the sensor which can only be removed with a brush or swab type clean.In conclusion I am delighted with the 40D,it is everything the 20/30 are plus a few extra features.

Sep 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stephen china to your Buddy List
hassy501

Registered: Jun 22, 2006
Review Date: Sep 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, great flash expos and rich files.
Cons:
None yet.

After coming up from the 20D and 30D, the 40D is a great step up. The build quality is excellent, the expos are great improved and the focusing is great improved.

The plastic battery door hinge is a non issue as using the external grip negates that issue.

The camera is fast and the menus are fast. The auto iso feature is nice when in shooting on the fly as in a wedding.

About to buy my second one for my wedding work to go along with my 5D and 30D. Relegating my 20D's to studio work which they are great for..............

Sep 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hassy501 to your Buddy List
jctriguy

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Review Date: Sep 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 6.5 FPS, solid body, live view, menu system, custom settings, great LCD
Cons:
Plastic battery door hinge, print button

Coming from an original rebel this is an outstanding upgrade. As expected everything works better compared to the rebel.

The body is rock solid and much more pleasing in size, especially with the grip added. I appreciate the weather sealing that is included since I never had any issues with my rebel during the winter or in dusty slot canyons, so any improvement is just added insurance. The plastic battery door hinge is a little concerning, but I don't anticipate it to be a real problem.

The only problem with the 6.5 fps is the need to delete more photos after, its hard to just take a few. So far the AF looks to be working great, very fast and accurate. In all my lenses I have never had any that needed calibration, so maybe I'm lucky or just don't look carefully enough??

I much prefer the new menu system vs the rebel or other cameras I've used. It did take some time to sort through all the custom functions and the custom settings, but once set they are very useful. I agree that the print button is not necessary on this camera and should be set through the custom functions to do something else.

I've found the live view and LCD to be a great improvement over the other canon models. The larger size makes everything easier to see and read and the lower resolution isn't really that much of an issue for me. The live view works great for what it is intended to do. It doesn't work well unless you have very solid hands or put it on a tripod. An SLR isn't meant to be held above your head or at arms length, so the over the crowd shots aren't the real purpose of live view. You can certainly do it, but it may take a few extra shots to get it right.

Overall this is a great camera and an amazing improvement over any of the rebel series.

Sep 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jctriguy to your Buddy List
Alan Moore

Registered: Sep 22, 2007
Review Date: Sep 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ease of use, everything !!!
Cons:

I upgraded from a 400D and find it easier to use, the build quality is far superior and its just great. You will not be dissapointed if you buy one.

Sep 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Alan Moore to your Buddy List
KenpoPhoto

Registered: Apr 5, 2006
Review Date: Sep 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Low noise at high ISO, highlight priority, live view, 6.5fps, molded grip feels more like 5D
Cons:
VERY Trivial...cheap battery door (20D & 30D had a metal hinge with a sliding release, the 40D is completely plastic)

I've owned a 300D, 20D, 30D and still have a 5D.

I find the 40D completely superior to the 300D, 20D and 30D and in some ways to the 5D.

Live view mode is really nice for macro shots, with the 10x zoom on the LCD, you can focus on what you want.

The frame rate is amazing. I played with a 1D Mark III at an Apple/Canon event and that camera was amazing. The 40D felt very similar to what I experienced with the 1D Mark III. I suspect the shutter designed is near identical to the 1D Mark III shutter and is only limited because the 40D only has 1 Digic III processor instead of 2 like the Mark III.

To me, the 40D is what the 30D should have been. It's become my de facto "walking around" camera.

You can't really compare it to a 5D for IQ because there's really no point comparing crop to full frame, but the 40D is amazing in low light.

Very usable images at 1600 ISO. H (3200 ISO) is very noisy, but it's to be expected. On the 40D 1600 ISO is like the 30D at 800 ISO.

Sep 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KenpoPhoto to your Buddy List
M. Baker

Registered: Sep 20, 2007
Review Date: Sep 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is a wonderful camera lives up to its specs.
Cons:
None!

Jamo, it's unfortuante you received a bad copy of this product. I can understand your frustration, but everybody makes a lemon. I hope you returned it and received a better copy.

Sep 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add M. Baker to your Buddy List
Husien Jahja

Registered: Nov 9, 2006
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 3" LCD. Live view. fast low light focus.
Cons:
not as waterproof as first thought, however this is not an issue.

First thought of buying 30D. When this 40D were out it was so much review in the internet that I wanted to put my hand on one. At last I got one and it was definitely a big change to the 400D.

QC is a problem here, I got this unit with dust on the sensor. After I serviced it then all the dust were removed with no problem.

Autofocus is definitely a big plus on this unit.

Spot metering is also a great to have.

If you like all the Canon EOS series, this is definitely one to have...

It won't disappoint...

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Husien Jahja to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build is better than the other XXd's, AF is great, close to the orig. 1d IMO. The low light performance is very good. It focuses fast and accurately, and at ISO 1600, looks great. My menu is a great idea.
Cons:
ISO needed to be improved more at 3200+

Having shot with this for a couple of weeks now, I find it better than my 20 and 30 d's. in all aspects with the exception of a similar quality 3200 iso. It has a nicer feel to the 3200 though since the shadow noise is less colorful and therefore to my eyes, more pleasing.

It does seem about 1/3 less sensitive than the 30d or 5d. I am using these as backups to 5d's and don't worry too much about using them in the lower light. That is not something true of the 30d's.

Overall, a good solid camera and decent for the $$.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
Paul Morrison

Registered: Nov 3, 2006
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Improved sensor performance at higher ISO's, dust removal system, larger LCD screen easier to read in daylight, much improved menus and access to them, Live View, improved viewfinder, ISO visible in finder, solid feel, fast motor, Auto ISO,
Cons:
12MP would have been nice, feels a bit 'thick' in my hand (even when compared to the 1D IIn), no simple access to mirror lock up, battery concerns in cold weather

Having owned the 20D (as well as owning the 1D IIn and the XTi), the 40D is a major advance in almost every direction. I cannot think of any real negatives aside from the obvioius need of a one button access to mirror lockup. The improved motor speed (6.5 fps) makes this a near ideal second camera to the 1D and an extremely capable camera in it's own right. The reduced noise at ISO 800 makes this a very capable camera for many different uses. The viewfinder is brighter. The menu interface is more intuitive and the LCD screen is excellent. One concern is the battery life in winter temperatures. My 20D never performed well in the cold. I'm hoping that they 40D is improved in this area as well. Auto ISO is an interesting feature that I can see being useful, especially now that the sensor performs so well at the higher ratings. I bought this as a kit bundled with the 28-135 IS lens for C$1553 total, which seems like a good deal when I think back to what I paid for the 30D (C$4000) and what a superior camera this is!

Sep 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paul Morrison to your Buddy List
sven rose

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,276.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, rendition of colours, build quality, 6.5 fps, fast AF
Cons:
screen resolution and dull screen

As an upgrade from a Canon Rebel XTi / 400D I notice a far better IQ, better rendition of colours, very low noise up to ISO 800.

Pictures from the camera without ANY processing (no crop or other adjustement), in camera noise reduction off, jpeg in best quality:

Most pictures were taken with 70-200 f4L IS, some with Tamron 17-55 F2.8, some with addition of Kenko TC 1.4 or Extension tubes, landscape with circular pol filter. All handheld.

a rudimentary ISO-comparison (100% crops), all with in-camera NR off:

The processed pictures:

Sep 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sven rose to your Buddy List
bakerwi

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, auto focus, 6.5 fps, image quality, 10mp+ and Live view. I've owned both the 20D and 30D and this is a stepup from both.
Cons:
None yet!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bakerwi to your Buddy List
Peter Brockie

Registered: Sep 19, 2007
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing detail in photos, 6.5 FPS, Live View, fast AF system.
Cons:
Not weather sealed.

Coming from the 300D this is an amazing camera. The screen is large and bright, all the functions are lightning fast and the image quality is stunning when paired with nice glass.

My only complaint is the fake weather sealing Canon is promoting. The camera is NOT sealed, only the battery and CF compartment are slightly more resistant to water.

Sep 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Brockie to your Buddy List
Joe Roback

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: LCD, fast 6.5fps, comfortable grip, IQ, good battery life, 3 custom dials, customizable "My Menu", Live View, viewfinder
Cons:
weather seals are basically worthless, direct print button (canon either get rid of it or allow it to be mapped to another function)

Incredible upgrade from a 350D. For one, its 10000x more comfortable to hold, the rebel xt was so small.

LCD is nice. It may be second to Sony/Nikon's new LCD, but coming from a 1.8" LCD, its like heaven. customizable menu, and 3 selections on the top dial are awesome and so convenient.

Everything else you can get from dpreview.com and its forums. Nice camera, super happy with my purchase.

Well worth the upgrade from any of the rebel series, 300D, 350D or 400D!

Equipment I own, 40D, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 430EX speedlite flash

Sep 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joe Roback to your Buddy List
jaimo

Registered: May 11, 2004
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: None so far
Cons:
To be continued; see below.

Fresh out of the box a purplish tint was on all images -- auto (awb) and creative zones -- with and without flash. Than shutter button wouldn't work. Then I shut down camera, and each time I turned it back on the flash would pop up and fire (all on its own!) To be continued.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jaimo to your Buddy List