Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF PRO DX SD

72 151052 May 25, 2012
atx124afprodx

Mount availability: Canon and Nikon Digital Only*
Recommended Sensor size: APS-C Sized (23.7 X15.6mm)
CCD or CMOS sensor (w/1.5-1.6x magnification factor)
Zoom Range: 12-24mm
Maximum Aperture: F/4
Minimum Aperture: F/22
Optical Construction: 13 Elements / 11Groups
Coatings: Multi-layer Coatings
Zooming System: Rotary-type
Minimum Focus Distance: 11.8 in. (30cm)
Macro Ratio: 1:8
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9
Dimensions: 3.3 in. (84mm) X 3.5 in. (89.5mm)
Weight: 20.1 oz. (570g)
Included Accessories: BH-777 Dedicated Lens Hood
Optional Accessories: Fitted Case
Suggested List Price: $899.00

Neens_wa

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Review Date: Jul 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $480.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, Build, Build... Price and image quality
Cons:

Purchased my lens from Canoga in Los Angeles (mailorder). I'm so thrilled with this.

I'm waiting for the rumored new 5D, so I needed an ultra-wide for my 30D and 40D. I was seriously considering the 10-22 from Canon, as I'd not been impressed with the Sigma 12-24.

I subscribe to Pop Photo via the little league players next door, but I never read the thing... One day on a boring conf. call, I read it, and saw the TOKINA ad. My homework quest had a new contender. Having done massive research, I opted to take a chance on the TOKINA.

I AM SO GLAD I DID! This puppy is built like a tank, and as another poster mentioned, CA is a factor on all ultra wide-angles, and I shoot RAW all the time anyway, so no biggie.

There is little distortion, it's a straight f/4 (as opposed to the others which are 3.5-5.6) and I LIKE that a LOT!

My only disappointment is that I hadn't purchased this lens sooner.

Jul 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Neens_wa to your Buddy List
capnd

Registered: Jun 3, 2008
Review Date: Jun 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wide and sharp.
Cons:

Very sharp in the middle.
Sharp at the thirds.
Very usable at the tips.

Jun 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add capnd to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: May 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid "L" quality build, good focal range, sharp
Cons:
CA!

Only used for a couple of days so far, but very happy with it. I wanted something to get from 12-24 where my 24-70 and 24-105 could take over. Initially, I bought the 17-55 and 11-16 Tokina, but couldn't stand the loose build of the EF-S lens.

Traded the EF-S for a 24-70 and sold the 11-16 to buy the 12-24. Good move, in my opinion. The 11-16 didn't seem to have any CA problems, but the 12-24 certainly demonstrates it right away. I took some shots from beneath a tree canopy and the bright sky caused blue fringes along most of the leaves and branches, esp near the edges. I was shooting wide open, so I don't know what will happen when I stop down a bit. One thing is all the CA was processed out with DxO and I'm sure most any other PP package.

For the money, Canon simply doesn't offer anything that matches up. I know the 10-22 has a good rep, but the EF-S build is just not up to the cost. Period. This is a REAL lens with a rock-solid build and great image quality.

May 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List
historism

Registered: May 18, 2008
Review Date: May 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: build quality
Cons:
sensitive to blooming

I usually shoot architecture with my EF-S 17-55 and I needed a wider lens. So I got the Tokina 12-24. Those extra 5 mm make a huge difference!

It is very sturdy and the handles are extra smooth.

You will wish to correct the CA during raw processing. Normal CA can almost perfectly be corrected. However on high contrast edges like a white facade against the sky you'll note a slight halo.

The lens is also very sensitive to scattered light. Keep direct sunlight away from the front lens! On the other hand I don't think it's worse than other 12 mm lenses.

May 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add historism to your Buddy List
terry warne

Registered: Oct 27, 2007
Review Date: Apr 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, price, build quality, focal range
Cons:
Some CA but fixable in Photoshop

Using on 30D very happy with this lens overall

Apr 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add terry warne to your Buddy List
inukshuk

Registered: Nov 27, 2005
Review Date: Mar 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank. Smooth, Pro Quality
Cons:
NONE

Simple! I don't know where to begin. I just love this lens. As far as I'm concerned it's worth more than what it sells for. Pro quality, Tough as nails, super smooth, great pictures, and on and on and on...
If I'd loose it, I'd go right out and get another one asap.
As for more detailed impressions, well there's already lots posted here. Now all you have to do is get one.

Mar 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add inukshuk to your Buddy List
-tom-

Registered: Feb 21, 2008
Review Date: Mar 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Constant f4.0, cheaper than "L" lenses, great build/"pro" look, good zoom range.
Cons:
Noticeably soft @ f4.0

Mar 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add -tom- to your Buddy List
Nello Milanese

Registered: Sep 22, 2007
Review Date: Mar 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Awesome all-metal buid quality, good contrast / colour throughout the zoom range and aperture, good sharpness even at 12mm F4, non rotating front element, very very practical AF / MF switch ring. Includes a petal-shaped hood (optional on the Canon 10-22mm).
Cons:
A bit of CA easily removed w software (a problem more for pixel peepers than real photographers).

I walk into the shop and tested all 3 WA zoom : Sigma's, Canon's and Tokina. Although the IQ quality (given a good copy of Sigma) is pretty close when you pick the Tokina it feels like A LENS!. Canon's 10-22mm feels like a cheap chinese toy next to the Tokina. It's a lot cheaper than Canon's version and they throw in a petal-shaped hood! way to go Tokina. I fell in love instantly! Never looked back and i'm having a blast w this lens in the last year or so.
I like Tokina's Pro lenses build quality better than Canon's L.
Focus is not a problem since the DOF is huge anyway.
I have to say that the AF / MF push-pull ring is the best implementation so far. it's intuitive and you never have to take your eyes off the viewfinder, just push the focus ring back/forth for AF/MF.

Mar 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nello Milanese to your Buddy List
Doug Weasner

Registered: Oct 24, 2007
Review Date: Mar 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solidly sharp, excellent metal construction, nearly perfectly smooth focus and zoom controls.
Cons:
CA present - not for pixel peepers

Out of about one dozen lenses I've purchased so far, only three I would never consider doing differently - this lens, the Tamron 17-50 2.8, and Canon 85 1.8.

For my shooting style, the 19mm FF equivalent delivered here is always wide enough. There is a world of difference between the typical DSLR zooms that start at 17 or 18mm and this true wide angle lens that starts at 12mm. My copy is certainly usably sharp wide open, the constant f4 is unique in super wides available for Canon DSLRs, and it feels like an indestructible tank in your hands and on your camera. Tokina does an excellent job on the controls - both the focus clutch/ring and zoom ring are beautifully smooth and damped. That you get all of this for $499 is proof that third party makers are able to, and do, get it right.

This lens does vignette noticeably at 12mm f4, but that otherwise is not a problem. CA is a problem on all super wide lenses, and this lens is no exception. However, it is pretty easily fixed in software, and I haven't noticed it on my copy of this lens at reasonable print sizes or in monitor viewing. I may get the Sigma 10-20 or the upcoming Tamron 10-24 for my Nikon D40 to drive my wide angle down to 15mm FF equivalent, but I know I will miss the excellent build, freedom from vignetting at virtually all settings, and constant max aperture of this truly excellent lens.

Mar 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Doug Weasner to your Buddy List
bluepolo

Registered: Jun 15, 2005
Review Date: Feb 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good value for money, very good zoom range though would prefer a touch more at the long end
Cons:
With then lens hood on, and a skylight, adding a polarizer causes cut off at the wide end. The rubber zoom and focus grips broke and fell off.

This is my second Nikon-fit lens for my D70, and its been a good buy. On a recent trip to Montreal I deliberately used it all the time. Pictures are here http://picasaweb.google.com/quitetall/MontrealFebruary2008.

With a 77mm filter you can add skylight, pola and ND for reasonable money.

Feb 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bluepolo to your Buddy List
pwsth1

Registered: Jan 16, 2008
Review Date: Jan 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: very pro build quality, fast AF, sharp images
Cons:
exhibts some CA, some flare too

It's built like a tank, sharp, and gives me that wide-angle-feeling again, without taking all of my money away.

Bearing in mind that a 12mm focal length is technically quite extreme, therefore I was not surprised to find CA-traces, especially in the corners.
The images with this lens are more detailled and sharper than comparable ones made with the Nikkor 18-70 DX.

Also I like the push-pull clutch for manual focus override.

Jan 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pwsth1 to your Buddy List
jeffbuzz

Registered: Jan 23, 2005
Review Date: Jan 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Build quality, smooth mechanical operation of manual focusing, consistent image quality across zoom and aperture ranges, constant f/4 aperture, minor vignetting at wide end with standard filters
Cons:
Images tend to be soft (i.e. not sharp and contrasty), auto focus is slow, not as wide as competing lenses (12mm versus 10mm)

I purchased the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 DX for a Nikon mount through a dealer and not second hand. I was immediately impressed with the overall build quality of this lens. It is easily on par with Nikon pro level lenses and Canon L series hardware. This also translates into substantial weight which should also be considered when mounting this lens on the DX style camera bodies on which it is designed to work. DX type cameras are all small body styled (without built on vertical grip like the Nikon D1,2 series and Canon 1 series). So unless you use an add on grip with your camera this is going to be a relatively front heavy setup for hand holding.

I prefer to manually focus most of time and this lens is a pleasure to work with manually given the large focus ring that operates with smooth precision. Auto focus hunts a bit in low light, low contrast situations on a D200. Probably more due to a maximum aperture of f/4 versus f/2.8 on the full frame equivalent focal length zooms.

Shooting interiors with this lens is a pleasure as it gives the equivalent angle of view of an 18mm lens on a full frame 35mm body. Showing expansive interior spaces is fairly easy and does not require backing all the way up into a room corner. Outdoor work is worry free as the build quality is reassuring no matter what the weather. Glare can be an issue when shooting with the sun near the frame edges but the included hood helps considerably and is a necessity for most bright days.

When it came time to process images shot with this lens I was disappointed. I found moderate softness all over the frame at all apertures. This surprised me given my typically positive experience with Tokina products. Sometimes you get a bad apple, no big deal. Since I had a new lens under warranty I simply called Tokina, popped it in a box, and sent it back for a checkup. I fully expected Tokina to make a repair and get back a better performer. Ten days later I got back the lens with a note from Tokina repair saying that this lens was tested and functioned within specification.

Now I still find Tokina products to typically be a good value and this lens is no exception. However, I feel the overall optics of this lens leave a bit to be desired especially if you plan to crop and enlarge images (or if you enjoy pixel peeping). Bottom line is that the 12-24mm will help you get shots that simply are not possible on DX format bodies without this breed of ultra-wide lens. The good news is that performance is quite consistent across all focal lengths and apertures. The bad news is that the performance is consistently mediocre. Do not expect to obtain razor sharp images, even at f/11, with this lens because it apparently is simply not designed to do that.

Jan 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jeffbuzz to your Buddy List
Gil_W

Registered: Sep 30, 2004
Review Date: Jan 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build Quality, price, sharpness, color and contrast, quick focus, and neat sounding focusing motor. Straight f/4.
Cons:
Tendency to flare sometimes but what else is new with a wide lens. A little bit of chromatic aberration in high contrasty areas in bright sun, easily removed.

I spent many days researching a wide zoom for my IR 20D and 40D. I do not have a photo store to go to to check out lenses anywhere even remotely close to where I live so I have to depend on what my own surfing can come up with. I found that the Tokina 12-24 had a better reputation for build and image quality then the Sigma wide zoom and Canon 10-22. To their credit, the Canon 10-22 owners seemed extremely passionate about their lens. However, it is image quality that counts and not passion and I have now found that yes, the Tokina 12-24 puts out an excellent image. It is a fantastic indoors lens with very little distortion which suprised even me. Outdoors it does pick up a little flare if you have the wrong angle to the sun and there is a tiny bit of chromatic aberration (another trait of some wide lenses) which PS or LR can easily handle.
This is my only non-Canon lens. It is a lens for 1.6 crop bodies ONLY! Some post say that this lens can be used on a 1.3 or FF body. I have both, it doesn't work well, only partial use say 15-16mm-24 on 1.3 crop and 17-18mm-24 on FF and image quality suffers.
Yes the 10-22 gives you 10-12, if you want super, super wide get that, to me the 22-24 was more important as was the straight f/4 vice f/3.5-4.5.
If you buy this lens, I am sure you will be as impressed as I am and like the price of this very well made lens.

Jan 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gil_W to your Buddy List
kevin barton

Registered: Dec 17, 2007
Review Date: Dec 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, build quality,
Cons:

I bought the Tokina over the Sigma 10-20 due to some reports of the Sigma being soft at the edges on some examples.

I love this lens, it goes with me everywhere. It is truely versatile for land and cityscapes.

This has to be considered if you are in the market for a wide angle zoom lens. Look at this lens after you have looked at Canon, Nikon and Sigma. You wont be disappointed and the price is awesome.

Dec 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kevin barton to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 3, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Dont leave home without it. It is simply stunning and im very very impressed.This is on par with primes,colour is great.
Cons:
hmm cant find any.

This is a very good surprise, it is simply the best i have tried in this category= i tried Sigma 12-248its ok too),i tried Nikons 12-24(worse) the Tammy 11-18 and this Tokina is simply the best performer.It is so sharp and contrasty on par with primes.!
In short ; this is a great lens.

Dec 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
Mark Eley

Registered: Sep 27, 2006
Review Date: Nov 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding build quality, L class lens performance, Fraction of the L lens price
Cons:

This is an astounding performer and I just cant fault it. The 12-24 shares duty with a 24-105 L, 28-70L as my 3 primary lenses, but it definately does its fair share of the work.

I wish the wide end worked as well as the Sigma 12-24 on my 5D, It Vignettes to 18mm and 19-24 isnt exactly a wide range :D
However my budget 19-35 Tokina does work well on the 5D Smile

I took this lens to the SW USA with a load of shots from Vegas, Death Valley and Yosemite and its performance in those 10 days alone justifed the cost.

Nov 24, 2007