Nikon D40

14 20661 Aug 17, 2014
d40

Effective pixels: 6.1 million

Image sensor: RGB CCD, 23.7 x 15.6 mm, 6.24 million total pixels: total pixels

Image size: L (3,008 x 2,000) / M (2,256 x 1,496) / S (1,504 x 1,000)

Sensitivity: 200 to 1600 (ISO equivalent) in steps of 1 EV with additional setting one step over 1600

Storage media: SD memory card, SDHC compliant

LCD monitor: 2.5-in., 230,000-dot, low-temp. polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment

Exposure metering: 3D Color Matrix Metering II, Center-weighted and Spot Metering

Exposure modes: Digital Vari-program (Auto, Auto [Flash Off], Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, Night Portrait), Programmed Auto [P] with flexible program; Shutter-Priority Auto [S]; Aperture-Priority Auto [A]; Manual [M]

Interface: USB 2.0 (High-speed): Mass Storage and PTP selectable

Power source: Li-ion Battery EN-EL9, charging voltage (Quick Charger MH-23), 7.4V DC, AC Adapter EH-5 (available separately; requires optional AC Adapter Connector EP-5)

Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 126 x 94 x 64mm (5.0 x 3.7x 2.5 in.)

Weight: Approx. 475g (1lb. 1oz.) without battery, memory card or body cap

neoshazam

Registered: Jun 1, 2014
Review Date: Aug 17, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, size/weight, sync speed.
Cons:
ISO 200 is lowest it goes, high ISO not as good as current cameras.

My 1st DSLR camera.
Very Lightweight and takes solid pictures.
I've gotten 2 other friends/family to purchase it ( at much better prices now) and I still use it as a backup/ walk around camera.

Aug 17, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neoshazam to your Buddy List
KKFung

Registered: Dec 19, 2008
Review Date: Apr 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: small size, very nice PQ up to ISO1600, simple and easy handling, very good Jpeg straight out quality
Cons:
none in this price range

I'm currently a canon user, I bought this used body because I want a small camera during business trip and I want a collection of a 135 DSLR with CCD sensor. This D40 is the camera. I also bought a 18-55/F3.5-5.6VR, good combo for day and night, small in size. The Jpeg straight out form camera is impressive so I don't need to take raw for big correction. Really a good DSLR for easy photography, don't need a P&S now :-)

Apr 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KKFung to your Buddy List
erick_C

Registered: Sep 10, 2009
Review Date: Oct 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: weight, image quality, overall usefulness, ergonomics,
Cons:
lack of on-camera controls and no support for non AF-S lenses

As my first Nikon D40, it was the camera that turned me into a Nikon user. This is a surprisingly capable camera given it's price point and target market.

This will satisfy most basic user's needs for a DSLR. Paired with the right lenses, this can be the basis of a relatively light weight kit which means you'll take it almost anywhere and that's what matters in photography. You can't take a photo if you don't have your camera. The menu system gives you access to what you will change the most, ISO, WB, Focus Modes, Shooting modes, etc, but on body controls would make this much much faster. Also, the lack of a motor means you can't use non-AF-S lenses.

Overall, if you're looking to get started with a DSLR, figure out what you really want to do. 9 times out of 10, the D40 will satisfy those needs.

Oct 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add erick_C to your Buddy List
michsyw

Registered: Aug 2, 2009
Review Date: Aug 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Light Weight, Image Quality, High ISO performance
Cons:
No top side LCD, too many button pushing to access menu. Over exposure in bright light.

Aug 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add michsyw to your Buddy List
shreshti

Registered: Oct 2, 2008
Location: India
Review Date: Oct 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great body with lots of ability to work on and has great 6 MP sensor with better photosites and less noise.
Cons:
No focus motor, plastic body

I am owning this camera for 1 year as of now..
I love this camera along with my Nikon D80.. but when i have to put focus lens and go light i like to carry my D40 and it can do almost all the functions a D80 can do and i am not going to take printouts of the photos so they look great .. the ISO sensitivity is really good and fun to take pictures it over exposes in bright conditions just has to adjust a bit of exposure compensation.

But one who wants to go to a DSLR i prefer this one or get a D200/D300 i hope Nikon D80 is not so great far from this or atleast get a D90 a bit better with video capabilities and better ISO Sensitivities..

Regards

Enjoy shooting

Oct 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add shreshti to your Buddy List
OCphotography

Registered: Aug 23, 2008
Review Date: Sep 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, price and price. Great entry-level camera, easy to use, very good out-of-the-box photos without editing.
Cons:
Only some Nikkor lenses work on it.

It is plastic, it is cheap, but you get more than you pay for and it is a great entry-level camera. Bought one for my wife, so she could photograph our new daugther (now 9 month old) and she is shooting like crazy.

On top of that, Nikon had a campaign where you could get the SB-400 for free, makes the photography even better.

So, if you don't have a lot of money, but want the benefits of DSLR, this is what you should aim for. You will be happy and not broke at the same time.

*Highly recommended*

Sep 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add OCphotography to your Buddy List
marcusparham

Registered: Dec 27, 2005
Review Date: Aug 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $549.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light and durable. Ease of use. Great for first DSLR.
Cons:
none for the consumer this was made for.

Bought this camera as a gift and I was surprised by the ease of use and the quality of the pics all the way to iso 1600. I would suggest this camera to any first time DSLR user.

Aug 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marcusparham to your Buddy List
pbasswil

Registered: Aug 4, 2008
Review Date: Aug 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Compact, light; quiet shutter/mirror; ISO 1600 pretty useable.
Cons:
Metering is out to lunch.

I chose the D40 partly because it's among the very quietest DSLRs out there -- which is great for candid indoor people shots. The meter and focussing work in quite low light. The menus and shooting menu are well thought out, for the most part. 6 megapickles is plenty of res for me. I like that the many custom settings let me set the camera up for my shooting prefs.

Why do I say the meter is out to lunch? Well, it's not, if you're an innocent, average consumer looking to make family snaps. This camera will keep your kids and pets looking bright, colourful and punchy. But it's so intent on working its magic on stuff in the centre/bottom of the frame, that it's content to sometimes gleefully clip all highlights, and other times to underexpose and totally waste the top 1/4 of the available dynamic range. Center-weighted is a bit more predictable than matrix, but I still have to always check the histogram, and 4 out 5 times need to compensate. (By the way, don't trust the standard, mono histogram, which is based on the green channel only; always check the RGB one via Retouch>Filter Effects>Color Balance.)

I like a lot about Nikon ergonomics. But I regret that twirling the rear command dial requires that your thumb gives up its grip on the back of the camera.

So that makes one major caveat, and one very minor one. Other then those: I like everything else. Now that I'm getting quicker at compensating for the meter, I'm starting to get more consistent results, and it's becoming fun.

Check "that mega auction site" for demo bodies at a fantastic price; I only paid $290 (July 08). Oh, and check kenrockwell.com for lots of D40 user tips.

Aug 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pbasswil to your Buddy List
sankeycottage

Registered: Jun 29, 2008
Review Date: Jun 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Lightweight, user friendly, picture controls. Price is no more than a high spec compact camera.
Cons:
Tends to slightly overexpose and blow highlights. Only 3 focusing points. No anti-dust system.

I bought this D40 AFTER buying the D300. I had a Canon G9 as my second camera but the D40 was a much better choice. It is lightweight and can be taken anywhere without worries, especially with some of the lightweight lenses. The 6MP is not an issue with good optics. It does overexpose most outdoor scenes, but I keep it -0.7 EV and this works. Even though it is light and great value this is still a highly sophisticated and high spec camera. Much better alternative than a compact if you already have Nikkor lenses. Highly recommended!

Jun 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sankeycottage to your Buddy List
Doug Weasner

Registered: Oct 24, 2007
Review Date: Nov 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great grip, especially for such a small camera. Solid IQ
Cons:

I've used a Rebel XTi with some very good to great glass for the past six months (35 2.0, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Tokina 50-135 2.8) as well as a SpeedLite 430EX. The results are nothing short of wonderful - when I get all of the gear out. However, as time has gone by, I've found it harder and harder to justify getting the gear out. Also, the XTi isn't perfect. 10MP on a crop sensor demands a lot from your glass. The roughly 4MB JPEGs make even my quad core based computers choke. On 22" monitors, I rarely view the output of my XTi past 70% of full size. And in seemingly just another gripe, I can't really keep all of my fingers on the XTi's grip with the large EF mount on a small body.

A local shop was running the instant rebate on the 55-200 or 70-300 Nikkors with any Nikon SLR purchase, and I bit. I took home the D40 kit and the 55-200 VR. The D40 has addressed all of my problems with the XTi. The grip is much better, the output doesn't choke my computers, I get AF assist without an external flash, and the results look just as good (I don't pixel peep - just 22" monitors and prints up to 8x10 on occasion). Throw in actual useful auto ISO and spot metering (which I'd pay over twice as much for to get from Canon) and the D40 really does look pretty good. For fun shooting, I couldn't care less about the 9 point AF or the extra 4MP that I'm missing from the XTi.

I still prefer my Canon gear for low light, but $650 worth of Nikon gear has made photography fun again, rather than just work. The all plastic kit lenses are well matched to the capabilities of the body without breaking the bank. This unit gets an excellent "9."

Nov 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Doug Weasner to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Speed; compact size; high IQ; clean high ISO; Built Quality; Price; 1/500 flash sync speed
Cons:
No screw-drive feature; lack of hot buttons; only 6mp

This is a nice little camera for travel and "soccer moms". Built quality is good for a consumer class DSLR. Compact size but yet the grip is very comfortable to hold, unlike Canon's equivalent (400d). IQ is great, especially in the high ISO area. Per pixel sharpness is crisp and clean unlike the D50. Has fast operating time with very little shutter lag and blackout time. Has a very deep RAW buffer (9 frames) for this DSLR class.

What I don't like are the lack of support for screw-drive lenses, lack of dedicated buttons for ISO, WB, fps...settings.

Oct 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
william fussel

Registered: Aug 13, 2007
Review Date: Aug 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $533.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: THIS IS MY FIRST DSLR CAMERA . WOW .THIS BABY SINGS.!! I AM MAKING FANTASTIC PHOTOS , FOR AN AMATEUR PERFECTIONIST. FIT AND FEEL, QUALITY AND EASE, INSPIRATION.!
Cons:
MORE RESOLUTION FOR MAGNIFYING IMAGES. THAT'S IT.

THIS IS MY FIRST DSLR CAMERA . WOW .THIS BABY SINGS.!! I AM MAKING FANTASTIC PHOTOS , FOR AN AMATEUR PERFECTIONIST. FIT AND FEEL, QUALITY AND EASE, INSPIRATION.! MORE RESOLUTION FOR MAGNIFYING IMAGES WOULD BE NICE. THAT'S IT.

Aug 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add william fussel to your Buddy List
polizonte

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Jul 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent viewfinder, good kit lens performance, number of shots per battery, high flash sync speed, price.
Cons:
Plastic lens mount but for the price, who cares?

This is the second digital camera that I bought for my wife; the first was a 5MP Koni-Minolta P&S. Years later after buying myself a DSLR, I found her P&S frustratingly slow and the lens at the wide setting not wide enough. Since she liked using the P&S optical viewfinder more than the LCD and was satisfied with the image quality, I imagined that she would find the more modern D40 to be a vast improvement. As I had thought, she is thrilled with the difference in speed, ease of use, and image quality and I am amazed at how well the 18-55 kit lens performs. At the current price, the D40 is less expensive than some advanced fixed mount digital cameras, has an excellent optical viewfinder and a kit lens with a wider angle than many P&S cameras.

Jul 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add polizonte to your Buddy List
miyaco

Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Review Date: Jun 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The ergonomics are great, responsiveness, viewfinder, and size make this camera a joy to use.
Cons:
no mirror lock-up, combo lcd (works well after some practice but not perfect), and one control wheel.

Jun 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add miyaco to your Buddy List

Nikon D40